Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2456019 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5500 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 16:26:54 »
Orange is even lighter than Salmon, actually.

I regret selling my only tactile SKCM brown board several years ago. Those switches are perfect. Maybe it's that dummy switchplate they use instead of a tactile leaf; maybe it's the plastic in the stems or the dry lube they're painted with, or maybe it's all those factors working in concert... I don't know why SKCM tactile browns are so inimitable, but I've used hundreds of ALPS keyboards over the years and nothing comes close to browns. Orange is in the same ballpark, and there are a few varieties I've never tried (like SKCM greens and fresh, unused ambers), but IMHO browns are in a league of their own. I'd really love to find some NOS browns for my first custom build
SKCM brown Alps do indeed have a unique feel, with perhaps the most pronounced tactility of any Alps switch. Their parts fit together with close tolerances, like a fine piece of machinery. I believe these characteristics come mainly from the tactile assembly, which is a modified switchplate, but also from he symmetrical top housing and slider.

The figure I have for the actuation force of SKCM browns is 75 g. This heavy actuation force is mostly attributable to the tactile assembly rather than the return spring.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5501 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 16:41:07 »
What profile are AEK caps? Would they be the same as, for example, Alpine Winter or BadWrench's modifiers?

One of my first Alps projects mixed these profiles:

Show Image

Show Image

AEK profile is very different from any other profile out there, so you won't be finding any matches. Maybe try designing resin cast or 3D printed mods or something.

Just noticed: is that an infinity build?

What is this 6u space bar? And what stabilizers solution did you use?

I think it's simpler to build with an Alps64 or even with Duck Eagle PCB, and these two support more layout options.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline E3E

« Reply #5502 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:50:44 »
What profile are AEK caps? Would they be the same as, for example, Alpine Winter or BadWrench's modifiers?

One of my first Alps projects mixed these profiles:

Show Image

Show Image

AEK profile is very different from any other profile out there, so you won't be finding any matches. Maybe try designing resin cast or 3D printed mods or something.

Just noticed: is that an infinity build?

What is this 6u space bar? And what stabilizers solution did you use?

I think it's simpler to build with an Alps64 or even with Duck Eagle PCB, and these two support more layout options.

Yep, it is an infinity! The space bar was a modified 6u DCS space bar. ABS. I stem-swapped it. All stabs are costar. You can now buy Alps space bars in grey and blue from PMK because of Alpine Winter though.

The Alps64 is, by far, the easiest to build for because it has more supported layouts than any other PCB out there. It lacks backlighting and PCB Cherry stabs (which really isn't -meant- for Alps, but can work on some caps). 

The Eagle actually does not have many supported layouts. It only has the AT101 layout + a 15u top row if desired. I had to manually drill the PCB to create the layouts for the short right shift, all Caps Lock positions, and the 6.25u bottom row.

My Infinity was pretty much a match made in heaven for Alpine Winter, and influenced the design. Badwrench and myself were the ones who came up with the colorway.

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:54:22 by E3E »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5503 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 23:51:11 »
Switches from Mike arrived today, I individually cleaned and mounted them into the AEKII. Still need to solder.

Should get it back together and working by this weekend, getting my ADB converter on Friday :)
Pics:

Idk why but the last picture makes the case looked warped in the center, it isn't :p
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5504 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:08:21 »
@E3E: Your Infinity with the Alpine Winter set looks great! Which switches did you use?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5505 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:33:59 »
Switches from Mike arrived today, I individually cleaned and mounted them into the AEKII. Still need to solder.

Should get it back together and working by this weekend, getting my ADB converter on Friday :)
Pics:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Idk why but the last picture makes the case looked warped in the center, it isn't :p
Glad to see them in their new home instead of just sitting in a bag at my house! I bought and desoldered another NeXT to make up for lost switches... haha

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5506 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:29:42 »

Yep, it is an infinity! The space bar was a modified 6u DCS space bar. ABS. I stem-swapped it. All stabs are costar. You can now buy Alps space bars in grey and blue from PMK because of Alpine Winter though.

The Alps64 is, by far, the easiest to build for because it has more supported layouts than any other PCB out there. It lacks backlighting and PCB Cherry stabs (which really isn't -meant- for Alps, but can work on some caps). 

The Eagle actually does not have many supported layouts. It only has the AT101 layout + a 15u top row if desired. I had to manually drill the PCB to create the layouts for the short right shift, all Caps Lock positions, and the 6.25u bottom row.

My Infinity was pretty much a match made in heaven for Alpine Winter, and influenced the design. Badwrench and myself were the ones who came up with the colorway.

Show Image

Thanks for the tip. Can't beat the matching blue colors there - caps, PCB, and case.

Planning to convert my infinity into an Alps HHKB. Now keeping an eye on the PMK 6u Alps spacebar - will get when they're in stock again.
Probably also need a custom plate from Lasergist.

- Will see if the "lazy build" works, i.e. without soldering.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #5507 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:34:59 »
Was just brainstorming an idea and was wondering how viable pcb mounted alps are? Saw a tread on deskthority regarding the amount of torque on the switches due to the lack of mounting holes would be a problem, but has this ever been done?

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5508 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:23:35 »
Alrighty everyone, wish me luck and please excuse my messy, 30 year-old work bench.

I have already run the switches through the ultrasonic cleaner and replaced the tops with ones from my click modded Z-150.  Also shaved off the flanges and hand-drilled holes for 2x5x7 leds. Just waiting on the gold LED Holtites from Sager and Apple IIgs numpad keycaps from eBay.

Can't imagine doing this for a full-sized keyboard though.

Hopefully I don't mess this up!

I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5509 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:48:50 »
Very cool. Good luck, man!
-Dana

Offline E3E

« Reply #5510 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 18:08:01 »
Was just brainstorming an idea and was wondering how viable pcb mounted alps are? Saw a tread on deskthority regarding the amount of torque on the switches due to the lack of mounting holes would be a problem, but has this ever been done?

There were some obscure clones out there with PCB mount legs ala Cherry. The only way I can see the switch being stable enough is by using LEDs. Soldering them in would give the switch more stability, but it would also limit you to SKCLs.

Other than that, glue them down. :P Tight cap pulling would be scary without enough support.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5511 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 18:09:31 »
Alrighty everyone, wish me luck and please excuse my messy, 30 year-old work bench.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I have already run the switches through the ultrasonic cleaner and replaced the tops with ones from my click modded Z-150.  Also shaved off the flanges and hand-drilled holes for 2x5x7 leds. Just waiting on the gold LED Holtites from Sager and Apple IIgs numpad keycaps from eBay.

Can't imagine doing this for a full-sized keyboard though.

Hopefully I don't mess this up!

Ayyy, someone else is giving it a shot! Good luck. I hope you have conductive ink to repair any damaged traces. Beware of bridging any contact with the ground plane, as that is a thing that can happen and will cause you many headaches after thinking you're all done and then realizing that every key press triggers a whole row or column.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5512 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 21:35:27 »
That Numpad looks great!

Soldered, installed keycaps, and put it back together. It's pretty awesome now :cool: Next time its open i'll be retrobrighting it. Just waiting on converter to be able to use it. Welcome to America my little AEK!!!

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5513 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:33:19 »
The AEK chassis is a bit underrated. It's solidly built and the second version has that funky angle adjustment in the rear. Always a fan of creams and the Japanese sublegends.

Also, update on the numpad:

After drilling with the Dremel, none of keys still register so I had to make a run to RadioShack (yay 70% off) for a conductive pen.

I think on this particular PCB, it would have been a much better choice to hand-drill the holes from both sides.  Hopefully I can get everything retraced and don't have to get a new PCB :o

My Classifieds Thread

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5514 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:20:54 »
The AEK chassis is a bit underrated.
Is it? xD I thought it was pretty well-respected xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5515 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:22:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:03:33 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #5516 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:27:43 »
The AEK chassis is a bit underrated. It's solidly built and the second version has that funky angle adjustment in the rear. Always a fan of creams and the Japanese sublegends.

Also, update on the numpad:

After drilling with the Dremel, none of keys still register so I had to make a run to RadioShack (yay 70% off) for a conductive pen.

I think on this particular PCB, it would have been a much better choice to hand-drill the holes from both sides.  Hopefully I can get everything retraced and don't have to get a new PCB :o

You're in the heart of the storm now! The struggle is real! Good luck, sir!

You will prevail. :D

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5517 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:30:09 »

SGI tho

Then what can we do to all those nice plate-less harvested AEK cases with PCBs, they're better than helping homeless people to keep warm in the winter.
Perhaps we can donate all of them to installation artists.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5518 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 19:33:05 »

SGI tho
Heh, I don't even have an SGI xD .

Offline E3E

« Reply #5519 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 19:40:10 »

SGI tho

They're probably much more common over here in the states. The SGI 102s I've seen also just reuse Dell AT102 caps, font and all, and don't carry over either the granite colorway or the italic font.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5520 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 20:09:40 »

SGI tho

They're probably much more common over here in the states. The SGI 102s I've seen also just reuse Dell AT102 caps, font and all, and don't carry over either the granite colorway or the italic font.
Yes, part of the reason I didn't get one is that I don't really want an ANSI one, but the ISO verion is pretty rare.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5521 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 20:24:00 »

SGI tho

Then what can we do to all those nice plate-less harvested AEK cases with PCBs, they're better than helping homeless people to keep warm in the winter.
Perhaps we can donate all of them to installation artists.
I just threw 3 away haha

Offline E3E

« Reply #5522 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 20:26:55 »
Yes, part of the reason I didn't get one is that I don't really want an ANSI one, but the ISO verion is pretty rare.

That reskinned AT102. :P

Did you ever find any ANSI models at the recyclers? I'd think not, but I'm curious.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5523 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 21:15:48 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:03:30 by alienman82 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5524 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 21:26:41 »

Did you ever find any ANSI models at the recyclers? I'd think not, but I'm curious.
Yes, I found an Acer 6511 and an AEK in ANSI layout there. The 6511 was brand-new and had Alps-mount caps as well, so I have a brand-new replacement set for my KB-101A ^^ .

Offline E3E

« Reply #5525 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 03:51:17 »

Yes, I found an Acer 6511 and an AEK in ANSI layout there. The 6511 was brand-new and had Alps-mount caps as well, so I have a brand-new replacement set for my KB-101A ^^ .

I meant SGI granite, whoops. When I said "ANSI," I probably already had the logic in my mind but forgot that I didn't clarify it in the message. Probably wrote ANSI there without even thinking, whoops.

Always nice to have replacement key sets for when one wears out or if you want to just keep one for when you make it a "showroom" board for pictures or just to look pretty, haha.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5526 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 04:26:15 »

I am giving away an ansi chassis, but I don't think the shipping would be worth it at all.ß

Please keep it until someone wants it, SGI Granite's case is one of the nicest looking non-custom case out there!
When Matias has new caps later this year, it's quite possible to rebuild it cheaply with Matias switches and caps.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5527 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 04:27:52 »

I meant SGI granite, whoops. When I said "ANSI," I probably already had the logic in my mind but forgot that I didn't clarify it in the message. Probably wrote ANSI there without even thinking, whoops.

Always nice to have replacement key sets for when one wears out or if you want to just keep one for when you make it a "showroom" board for pictures or just to look pretty, haha.

I have never seen an SGI Granite / Beige keyboard with ISO enter before, not even just on photos.
Do they exist?
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline E3E

« Reply #5528 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 04:59:26 »
Bleeeeh. Took the time tonight to put my Orion v2's Alps PCB/plate into the Mira again just for fun, along with a few cap changes too. It took foreeever to change out all the sets and switch between boards.

I've figured out that the set I idealized for it, the IBM Multistation hi pros, isn't as good of a fit for the Mira as I had thought. They're uncomfortable to type on, probably because of a combination of the angle on the Mira and the depth of the scooping with these caps. To put it in perspective, the normal scoops are as deep as the C.Itoh caps' homing key scoops.

Here's a few potatoes of all the past night's mucking about:

The Canon caps are -not- the same profile, but they fit well enough. If I felt that they fit the Mira better, I might've done something to blend them in with the Multistation caps.

The last two are brother sets. :)

Ultimately, I think I'm gonna go back to the ICL One Per Desk caps on the Mira.

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 05:01:13 by E3E »

Offline E3E

« Reply #5529 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 05:00:03 »
I have never seen an SGI Granite / Beige keyboard with ISO enter before, not even just on photos.
Do they exist?

Yep, I've seen two of them so far, I think. One posted on DT, and one sold on reddit.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5530 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 05:15:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

In my opinion, Beige and grey colors work on a red case like this only when they have red legends, or at most red + black, red + blue, or red + green legends.
Otherwise, the base color of caps should be sort of from the same color palette - like the pseudo SP SA retro set (I know they model after the ICL One per desk) here. Red, deep red, brown - from the same palette, and then to highlight with a contrasting color - lime green with matching white legend. Perfect - almost. I wish the mods can be in that deep red or some toffee color. That's the game of Alps anyways.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline E3E

« Reply #5531 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 05:32:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

In my opinion, Beige and grey colors work on a red case like this only when they have red legends, or at most red + black, red + blue, or red + green legends.
Otherwise, the base color of caps should be sort of from the same color palette - like the pseudo SP SA retro set (I know they model after the ICL One per desk) here. Red, deep red, brown - from the same palette, and then to highlight with a contrasting color - lime green with matching white legend. Perfect - almost. I wish the mods can be in that deep red or some toffee color. That's the game of Alps anyways.

True. I totally agree. I don't feel entirely satisfied with any of the keysets, but the ICL comes the closest.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5532 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 07:29:13 »

No, I don't own an SGI.

What also makes me reluctant to buy one is that I want an unyellowed one. So I might well have to wait for one xD .

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5533 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 17:55:42 »
Typing to you on my Japanese AEKII! Got my converter today, it's great :p Getting used to this profile is a little weird (it's flatter) but shouldn't take long. SKCM Cream is great in this board too.

Works just fine but did have a bad switch though, faulty switchplate. I managed to fix it using my trusted method that works some of the time. Took the metal leaf off the switchplate and used a toothpick to pull back the little contact arm then spray it a bunch with compressed air while also bending the arm a little bit. These switches were really clean so must be the tiniest bit of dust in there. Man Alps can be susceptible to even the smallest amount of dust lol.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5534 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 19:20:34 »
Typing to you on my Japanese AEKII! Got my converter today, it's great :p Getting used to this profile is a little weird (it's flatter) but shouldn't take long. SKCM Cream is great in this board too.

Works just fine but did have a bad switch though, faulty switchplate. I managed to fix it using my trusted method that works some of the time. Took the metal leaf off the switchplate and used a toothpick to pull back the little contact arm then spray it a bunch with compressed air while also bending the arm a little bit. These switches were really clean so must be the tiniest bit of dust in there. Man Alps can be susceptible to even the smallest amount of dust lol.

Yeah, it's a shame. For such a complicated mechanism, it has a lot of issues with dust, but then again, that's kind of what happens with complicated designs.

So you've never used an AEK before? I'm surprised. Yeah, the profile is pretty flat, but it's not bad. :)

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5535 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 19:44:13 »
Yeah, it's a shame. For such a complicated mechanism, it has a lot of issues with dust, but then again, that's kind of what happens with complicated designs.

So you've never used an AEK before? I'm surprised. Yeah, the profile is pretty flat, but it's not bad. :)

Yea, works perfect now. Had to do the same thing with the numpad 0 key on my Packard Bell. Random ass failures. Can accept the 20 or so dead switchplates that were on my Taobao Blues though, nothing is designed to withstand that kind of abuse lol. Those also all had a bit of corrosion on the metal parts.

I have, used to own an SKCM Cream Damp AEKII, but sold it over a year ago. It's been some time ;) Really liking the feeling though. I have been using my vintage MX Brown G80 for a couple of weeks so it is nice to get back to Alps! :-X

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5536 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 19:48:29 »
Been thinking about the Monarch kit for the AEK lately.
I just have to move the numpad / nav cluster to the left and make things programmable.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5537 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 19:57:16 »
Show Image

Really love those late PBT Multistation caps! They look so normal/standard as if they came that way from the factory :eek: Something we rarely see with Alps. Gotta thank those few ANSI AT101 caps.

The more I type on this AEKII the more I like it :))

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5538 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 13:49:59 »
Almost have my little macropad/ mini numpad up and running! Sorry for the poor picture quality!

The aftermath. As you can see, I had to hand-drill the pcb to relocate the LED holtite sockets.

Unfortunately, about halfway through installing sockets for the LEDs, they became very dim. I don't know how to fix this  :(

Mocked up with some Apple IIC caps until the proper ones from a IIgs numpad come in.

Running into issues with the ribs on the keycaps hitting the LEDs. Also an issue Alpine winter. I may just cut the ribbing on the IIgs keycaps.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5539 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 17:14:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:02:59 by alienman82 »

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #5540 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:18:23 »

Finally got it in the mail. I do have to say that the clicky switch's sound on this board is fantastic. It's a nice deeper sounding click compared to mx blues

As a linear guy, I'm not really used to typing on these kinds of switches. Having to wait for the switch to reset makes me have to type more slowly and deliberately
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5541 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:24:13 »
Show Image

Finally got it in the mail. I do have to say that the clicky switch's sound on this board is fantastic. It's a nice deeper sounding click compared to mx blues

As a linear guy, I'm not really used to typing on these kinds of switches. Having to wait for the switch to reset makes me have to type more slowly and deliberately
Very nice. I recently got one of those too, however I am only getting the keycaps. cherry profile doubleshot alps keycaps. soooo nice

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5542 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:34:04 »
it looks cool..  but will you use it?

Probably not as a numpad, but more a macropad for AutoCad and Excel in conjunction with my laptop.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5543 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 21:03:16 »

Probably not as a numpad, but more a macropad for AutoCad and Excel in conjunction with my laptop.

With your laptop? So cool!
You should try to install a bluetooth module inside to get rid of the cable to have the ultimate cool cute macropad that makes colleagues / other people in the coffee shop / family members and friends jealous.

It's a pity makers of Alps compatible PCBs do not make the switch pin holes big enough to allow us to just install the receptacles with some more persuasion with blunt solder iron tip.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5544 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 23:45:36 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:02:55 by alienman82 »

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5545 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 23:54:02 »

With your laptop? So cool!
You should try to install a bluetooth module inside to get rid of the cable to have the ultimate cool cute macropad that makes colleagues / other people in the coffee shop / family members and friends jealous.

It's a pity makers of Alps compatible PCBs do not make the switch pin holes big enough to allow us to just install the receptacles with some more persuasion with blunt solder iron tip.

Haha, I don't think there is enough room for that (and I don't have the know-how) but maybe Apple hipsters will kind of dig it. The Alps64 looks to be the simplest of the bunch to holtite mod. It may be more time consuming, but handdrilling the holes with a 2mm bit would be my recommendation over the Dremel drill-press method.

Another option is getting an Infinty PCB and you don't even need to install sockets for the switches. E3E figured this out a while ago and I have tested the connection to be very reliable. This guy on Reddit also makes a PCB for the Varmillo VA68m using the same switchhole dimensions. That's the next project.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline E3E

« Reply #5546 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 01:06:42 »

It is a shame. Hasu was not wanting to do this last time I heard. It might be because of fear the holes would be too wide and conflict with certain positions. but I socketed every position in my eagles, which are universal in terms of layout options (not as much as Hau64 though) and it was fine. I'm not sure if it'd be an issue on his PCBs as I'm not familiar with them.

It'd be nice if someone did so one did not need to go through all the hassle of drilling.

Looks like you made it out the other side, but not without hiccups, eh Mandrew? You've got a lot of extra stuff under the PCB it seems, haha. I'm glad you got it all working though. Congrats man!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #5547 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 08:18:31 »
Show Image

Very nice. I recently got one of those too, however I am only getting the keycaps. cherry profile doubleshot alps keycaps. soooo nice

wait.. whaaaat????
Tell me more about these cherry profile doubleshot alps keycaps!!!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5548 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 08:28:09 »
Show Image

wait.. whaaaat????
Well, first of all they are quite rare. they only come on tai-hao FAME models like this one (model number th-5539, read more about it on the deskthority wiki), some old keytrak (blue alps and a trackball... nice)and an AT layout board made by tai-hao, the TH-5150.  the mod color is not spot on with OG cherry, it is a bit darker. they use a cherry stab mount.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5549 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 08:40:51 »
Show Image

wait.. whaaaat????
Watch this.