Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2451984 times)

Offline airs

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5750 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 14:02:53 »
Looking for a set of caps for a TKL WKL Alps board (LZ CLS). Would this Matias set work?

https://matias.store/collections/keycaps-and-switches-1/products/keycaps-white-with-black-printing

Any other suggestions that won't cost an arm and a leg?
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #5751 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 02:03:19 »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5752 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 08:47:47 »
Looking for a set of caps for a TKL WKL Alps board (LZ CLS). Would this Matias set work?

https://matias.store/collections/keycaps-and-switches-1/products/keycaps-white-with-black-printing

I always liked the look of dye-sub Wang 725 keycaps on Kingsavers. Miles better than what Matias has available (right now). They can be a bit hard to find at a good price. Bobs Northgate Repair has some NiB. There are also SGI granite dye-sub sets if you can live with the italic legends.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline airs

« Reply #5753 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 19:10:46 »

I always liked the look of dye-sub Wang 725 keycaps on Kingsavers. Miles better than what Matias has available (right now). They can be a bit hard to find at a good price. Bobs Northgate Repair has some NiB. There are also SGI granite dye-sub sets if you can live with the italic legends.

Thanks Mandrew. One more question - my plate has a stepped caps lock (LZ CLS), but my PCB allows for both types (Leeku Alphas L3). I'm thinking of widening the hole in the plate for caps lock to accomodate a non-stepped caps lock keycap. Seems relatively simple to do with a dremel. Am I oversimplifying things?
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5754 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 19:41:30 »

Thanks Mandrew. One more question - my plate has a stepped caps lock (LZ CLS), but my PCB allows for both types (Leeku Alphas L3). I'm thinking of widening the hole in the plate for caps lock to accomodate a non-stepped caps lock keycap. Seems relatively simple to do with a dremel. Am I oversimplifying things?

I dunno if theres room really because the LED hole i think that is? I mean I suppose you could just start carving away at the plate... seems extreme to me for something this pretty.

Speaking of caps locks though... how does the locking cap work? does it actually hold down a key - so like I should be setting it as a left shift? or does the switch actuate and release but physically stays down
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2017, 19:48:07 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline airs

« Reply #5755 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 16:48:53 »
I dunno if theres room really because the LED hole i think that is? I mean I suppose you could just start carving away at the plate... seems extreme to me for something this pretty.
Show Image

Speaking of caps locks though... how does the locking cap work? does it actually hold down a key - so like I should be setting it as a left shift? or does the switch actuate and release but physically stays down

Locking cap works by actually holding down a key.

Here's where I'm at with my set:

It's a combination of keycaps from an IBM 5140 and a Focus FK-2001. I'm pretty happy with it - the thick dyesubs from the 5140 are nice! It would be great to get some proper keycaps for Enter, Caps Lock, and \ | though.

What are my options for these keys? Do I need to buy an AT101 or something? Any other ways to do it that would be a good match for the keycaps I already have?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 September 2017, 16:51:24 by airs »
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5756 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 22:53:36 »
yeah i mean mine are from an SGI but you could just use any ansi board i think. AT101 should have what you need.
-Dana

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5757 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 09:43:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:03:41 by alienman82 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5758 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 10:43:06 »
I don't mind mixed sets on alps builds, I could've done a better job matching here but I really wanted to use my Wang alphas.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5759 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 12:29:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:03:37 by alienman82 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5760 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 12:36:30 »
I don't mind mixed sets on alps builds, I could've done a better job matching here but I really wanted to use my Wang alphas.

Show Image

haha nice esc key.  I remember you told me you liked that.

I love the 2u esc enough that I don't want to switch this board to split backspace, I need somewhere to use it while I work on modding the Chicony it came on.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline E3E

« Reply #5761 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 20:43:21 »
Here's my FJELL.

I think I might've posted this before.

Here is the rundown:

Case - FJELL Round 1 #35

Plate - 1.62mm Brass Plate, custom cut

PCB
- Duck Eagle v1 PCB, holtite modded for hot swapping

Switches
- Alps SKCL Cream, the majority of which are LED versions that came from a Seiko-made SGI Button Box

Caps - IBM Multistation Sphericals x2; one set is the Chinese version, one is the Japanese version. The Chinese version has the blue legends. The spacebar is not from these sets.

Despite the SKCL Creams having LED holes and the PCB having backlighting compatibility, I haven't found any colors I like for this build, and the LEDs shine through the fronts of these caps due to the doubleshot molding not extending there.

Overall, it is one of my favorite keyboards. SKCL Creams have such a nice weight, and they go perfectly with these sphericals. The set is very uniformly shined and it feels pretty amazing on these switches. I use this board often.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 September 2017, 20:44:54 by E3E »

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #5762 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 17:17:45 »

Lucky number 8 :)
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline E3E

« Reply #5763 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 19:19:23 »
Show Image

Show Image

Lucky number 8 :)

Yeah, wish I had one too.

Since I'll never really have anything to put these caps on.

« Reply #5764 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 12:11:26 »
Has anyone else found that SKCM blue sound radically different when they are in an aftermarket case? I had mine in a plastic TKL case that used to house Chinese clone Alps and the sound was so different I am pretty sure no one would have thought they were SKCM blue if they weren't told. They almost sounded like a Zealiostotle, ie still loud but quite a bit more high pitched and lacking in bass.

I only have my laptop mic and lousy headset mic so I couldn't make a good recording. The closest I could find was the Kingsaver with SKCM blues, my plastic case sounded very similar.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5765 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 15:49:22 »
Has anyone else found that SKCM blue sound radically different when they are in an aftermarket case? I had mine in a plastic TKL case that used to house Chinese clone Alps and the sound was so different I am pretty sure no one would have thought they were SKCM blue if they weren't told. They almost sounded like a Zealiostotle, ie still loud but quite a bit more high pitched and lacking in bass.

I only have my laptop mic and lousy headset mic so I couldn't make a good recording. The closest I could find was the Kingsaver with SKCM blues, my plastic case sounded very similar.

Oh certainly. Alps switches are very synergistic in both feel and sound in regards to the housing they are placed in. So of course, spacious, roomy, plastic cases on old vintage keyboards are typically going to have a much richer sound to them, where metal cases and modern OEM plastic cases with not as much space will be a bit more thin sounding.

Clickies are really the most effected by this, though all of them are to an extent.

Sometimes there are some things you can do. My Mira here did not have a sound I really felt was all that great, but after I added a sheet of memory foam beneath the PCB inside the case, it developed this really nice, thocky sound to it.

Of course, there's nothing you can do about these less spacious modern cases and how that will affect sound.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5766 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 00:15:17 »
Just a restore job, besides from painting the rusted plate I kept everything original.
-Retrobright
-Ultrasonic clean
-Lube

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5767 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 15:08:50 »
Very nice.

The old AT101, especially the old-logo model, is such a classic.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5768 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 15:23:12 »
That crinkle-finish maroon paint is particularly nice. I have never used a color like that on a keyboard.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5769 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 18:28:36 »
KBParadise keeps teasing new Alps switches on their FB.

https://www.facebook.com/KBParadise/

A linear red one, a clicky blue one (why is blue always clicky) and a brown tactile one.

They are made by Datacomp, who claim to have modded the original Fukka tooling, so I don't have great expectations since Fukkas were pretty crap, but I am excited for the brown switch. There aren't any other tactile Alps being made besides Matias Quiet Clicks which are dampened.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 October 2017, 18:30:53 by klennkellon »

Offline clickstops

« Reply #5770 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 10:21:40 »
Wow, that Fjell is mental. Spherical caps are amazing. Also, E3E, where are you finding super thin memory foam?

Does anyone know anything about the retooled MQC? I read a couple anecdotal posts claiming they got their hands on newer Matias switches and they were devoid of wobble, which is great news if it's true.

I posted this on reddit but for those of you not on there;

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 10:23:56 by clickstops »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5771 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 13:39:32 »
Wow, that Fjell is mental. Spherical caps are amazing. Also, E3E, where are you finding super thin memory foam?

Does anyone know anything about the retooled MQC? I read a couple anecdotal posts claiming they got their hands on newer Matias switches and they were devoid of wobble, which is great news if it's true.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This case has a really classy design - not outrageously "futuristic" not too old school, and you can see that the design of almost every part of it has been thought about, unlike a few "minimalist" block-based designs.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #5772 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 00:22:23 »
Agreed. Just fell in love with that case. And it looks great with the AEK caps.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5773 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 06:15:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks man! Sphericals are my jam these days. I still love typical cylindrical profiles, but sphericals are always fantastic to use and just admire. :D I actually had the memory foam from a package I received a while back. I'm not sure where you can buy any that thin. I think GON offers thin memory foam at his shop, but I don't know how reliable he is.

Also, nice nab with that AEK64 SS case! I wish I would've known about it! I actually found out when it was too late, haha. Of course it was BUILT for the AEK profile, so it looks fantastic with those caps.

I've got a nice set of Hebrew sublegend AEK profile caps with Icon modifiers too, alas. :P Looks great though!

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #5774 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:32:05 »
AEK64 cases went up for sale today on clueboard

All the a stock cases are gone, but there's some b/c stock leftover https://clueboard.co/dentsanddings/aek64-b-stock-and-c-stock
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline E3E

« Reply #5775 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:53:35 »
Not interested. The SS version was novel.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5776 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 23:00:38 »
I bought one just to see if I like it :rolleyes: figured it was worth it before I toss these blue Alps in a tray mount case..
keyboards.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5777 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 04:10:45 »
Ahh, if I wasn't so clingy with collecting key cap sets, I'd love to offer my AEK stuff to someone making a build, but there hasn't been any other documented Hebrew AEK profile caps and the Icon mods are a bit hard (not super hard) to find too.

Temporarily put them on the FJELL just for fun, but I prefer the sphericals on it.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5778 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 03:40:40 »
youse are killing it with these builds. keep up the good work!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5779 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:42:07 »
yowzers, I'd love to take those hebrew caps off your hands.  Been slowly learning to speak it, but caps are so far and few between.
keyboards.

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #5780 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 19:06:50 »

Finally got around to resolving issues I was having with the spacebar stab on this board, and now it's finally up and running(other than the five key which has developed some chattering issues.  It's an easy fix that I'll eventually get around to.  The board has a Copper alloy110 plate which is 99.9% pure copper(the .1% is oxidization).  The copper is a bit softer than brass and makes the board feel/sound pretty unique.  I applied a forced heat patina which gives it a pretty unique look, although it isn't really noticeable in daily use.  I left the plate raw and unsealed so that the patina changes over time.  I should have a sound test of the board soon.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5781 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 00:48:23 »
That's Alps? Oo
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5782 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 09:17:33 »
That's Alps? Oo

Thats definitely ALPS!

Where does one get black on black dyesubs? They look almost like Focus caps that have been dyed black or something.

That blank is lookin' purdy  :-*

Offline E3E

« Reply #5783 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 09:52:45 »
That's Alps? Oo

Thats definitely ALPS!

Where does one get black on black dyesubs? They look almost like Focus caps that have been dyed black or something.

That blank is lookin' purdy  :-*

They were dyed Dell AT101 caps that I sold to Pony. :)

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5784 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 10:06:22 »

They were dyed Dell AT101 caps that I sold to Pony. :)

Oh nice! I really like how that looks. Black and gold go really well together

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #5785 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 10:29:27 »
My first alps project was my vAEK69 with blues, but I've had some complex orange's out of an AEK sitting around for a long while. What should I do with them!?
I'm thinking a 60% + Fjell. Obviously I need to get my hands on a fjell, but then comes the caps....

Also, do I dare fold the leaf and make some ghetto-blues?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #5786 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 11:13:06 »
Hey I just bought one of the aluminum AEK's from Clueboard and I was looking for some of the AEK caps with the japanese sublegends. Anyone able to give me a hand on where my best bet would be to find a set?

Offline graefeln

« Reply #5787 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 11:48:51 »
Hey I just bought one of the aluminum AEK's from Clueboard and I was looking for some of the AEK caps with the japanese sublegends. Anyone able to give me a hand on where my best bet would be to find a set?

I'd hit up a proxy and bid on the Japanese Yahoo auctions personally. Last set I saw sold on reddit went for 130$; even with the international shipping and proxy fees, you'd probably be looking at 80 - 100$ that way. I have an AEK on the way that I did that with - ran me 92$.

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #5788 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 12:19:49 »
Does anyone know of any readily available Alps-compatible PCBs that aren't part of a GB? I'm hoping to build a Matias "tactile" keyboard which basically uses their quiet-click switches, with the dampeners removed. My hope is it'll feel reminiscent of Orange alps (might be wishful thinking but I'll be happy to report my findings to the community).

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5789 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:18:49 »
Just wanted to pop in and say that an ultrasonic cleaner + 20 year old Alps = fantastic  :thumb:
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5790 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:47:21 »

I'd hit up a proxy and bid on the Japanese Yahoo auctions personally. Last set I saw sold on reddit went for 130$; even with the international shipping and proxy fees, you'd probably be looking at 80 - 100$ that way. I have an AEK on the way that I did that with - ran me 92$.

Is yahoo.jp the most active auction? Is ebay an option for this one?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline graefeln

« Reply #5791 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 14:04:40 »

Yahoo seems to be quite active; I haven't heard many people talk about eBay, but that could be because eBay is easier to sell on internationally? I didn't really look into it extensively, nor did I look extensively into which proxy I used (j-subculture) - I am sure there are better/cheaper, but this one worked just fine for me. I put down a deposit to cover the auction, won (buy-it-now), paid, took a few days to get to them, paid a bit more for that shipping (CoD), requested a shipping quote to me, paid some more (went with EMS shipping, but there is cheaper), and got it shipped.

Offline badziew

• dome with slider
« Reply #5792 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 19:20:29 »
I expect M-tek K108 to appear on Wednesday, according to seller it has white complicated Alps. I'm looking forward to doing some appreciation myself :)
BTC 5139 (BTC dome with slider) | Chicony KB-5192FT (Futaba MA) | IBM Model M 1399580 (Croatian ISO) | M-tek (Monterey) K108 (Alps SKCM White) | Hyundai RT101+ (NMB dome with slider) | Vortex Race 3 (MX Clear) | Ajazz AK33 (Zorro Black) | Logitech K810 (Logitech PerfectStroke, US ISO)

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #5793 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 20:59:38 »

Yahoo seems to be quite active; I haven't heard many people talk about eBay, but that could be because eBay is easier to sell on internationally? I didn't really look into it extensively, nor did I look extensively into which proxy I used (j-subculture) - I am sure there are better/cheaper, but this one worked just fine for me. I put down a deposit to cover the auction, won (buy-it-now), paid, took a few days to get to them, paid a bit more for that shipping (CoD), requested a shipping quote to me, paid some more (went with EMS shipping, but there is cheaper), and got it shipped.

Interesting, so j subculture was the proxy you used? Do you have to provide a link for the auction for them then? What did you search for on Yahoo auction?

Offline graefeln

« Reply #5794 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 21:24:43 »

Interesting, so j subculture was the proxy you used? Do you have to provide a link for the auction for them then? What did you search for on Yahoo auction?

For j-subculture, to search the auctions (and use the proxy), you have to use the search on their site - I just searched for "Apple Extended Keyboard."

You can try this link, but no guarantees it will work.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5795 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:39:09 »
I expect M-tek K108 to appear on Wednesday, according to seller it has white complicated Alps. I'm looking forward to doing some appreciation myself :)

Nice man! It probably has the four-tab ALPS clone below but it should be a good alps experience nonetheless! Clicky ALPS are a lot of fun:)

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps.tw_Type_T1

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5796 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 16:44:29 »
A little while ago, I won an AEK with Japanese sub-legends on Yahoo Auctions for about $20 USD and was really pumped! Almost week later I was invoiced for $65 in shipping which included the price of getting it from the seller to the proxy warehouse. Maybe I got screwed over but this was my first time using an int'l proxy and it was a pretty hefty package. Just putting that out there.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #5797 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 19:56:27 »
Yeah that's still way cheaper than the 120+ that everyone seems to ask for on mm though. Thanks for the heads up though

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5798 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 20:04:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:01:59 by alienman82 »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5799 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 22:04:12 »
What proxy did you all go through? Most I have looked up have 0 results for 'AEK' or 'Apple AEK' searches. Maybe I'm just going about it wrong?