Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 118073 times)

Offline Belfong

Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 07:51:08 »
Awesome. Tried that. And iOS prompted whether to try an untrusted app. I guess I could run it and then delete the app, right? I'm nervous in the wake of recent malware affecting iOS.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #351 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 07:57:14 »
Awesome. Tried that. And iOS prompted whether to try an untrusted app. I guess I could run it and then delete the app, right? I'm nervous in the wake of recent malware affecting iOS.

That's how I checked mine and I'm jailbroken. I think the reason it prompts you to install an untrusted app is because they are using an Apple developers cert to sign the application. That link was posted to /r/jailbreak and the consensus seemed to be that it was safe to run.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #352 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 08:02:42 »
Okay... Now I wonder if I want to know. If I got a TLC it would bug me to no end even if my phone is alright. It's why I stay with Apple and its rose garden so I don't have to worry about all these mumbo jumbo :)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 08:18:42 »
'just popping in to say that I'm waiting on my iPhone 6 Plus from my carrier.  As it seems, stocks are extremely limited and that whole pre-order thing that the local carriers did a week before the November 14 launch was just a load of BS.

Anyway, I picked up a black Incipio NGP case already. :thumb:

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #354 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 10:17:38 »

Yea, and why does my phone not rotate portrait-landscape sometimes? If it's that crsppy "RotateGate" I've got sevetal days left to return and buy a brickphone.
It doesn't rotate because you are in Display Zoom mode. Do you mean the Home screen?

Not in Display Zoom, this has happened several times in several apps (messages, weather, calculator, etc). Obviously a real drag when that happens. Annoying.

MLC vs TLC: Will google more info. Seems a pain to check what you have considering can't do anything about it (I got 128gb 6 Plus on Nov 12) Aahhhh... "MemoryGate"
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Belfong

« Reply #355 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 18:29:06 »
Yeah... Don't do it, Input. That knowledge will do you no good.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #356 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 18:52:01 »
Ignorance is bliss
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 01:37:28 »
Given how powerful these phones are, software optimisation will do more for performance than anything else...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:06:47 »
I saw a couple posts that indicated some OS updates can help/eliminate the possible problem, but I don't know anything about that. With a 128gb 6 Plus it appears I'm a prime candidate for the possible problem memory, but hands are tied as far as options. I'm gonna be an ostrich and put my head in the sand on this since i'm not sure I'm seeing any problems and hope I'm not gonna max out the memory. I hope no one gets stung if this turns out to be a real issue.

Case update:
I like the Ballistic Urbanite black case, makes it easier to hold and more securely. Ruins the sexy lines of the phone, but that's the price of increased protection.
Still debating 4 way privacy film/glass. Might like the matte/anti-glossy/anti-fingerprint screen option along with the screen protection and privacy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:08:21 by Input Nirvana »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 12:47:31 »
Got my 64gb 6+ just a few minutes ago and the first thing I checked was that I got lucky and got MLC memory  :D

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 18:39:40 »
Gratz strict!

Any men here find those folio like casing useful? The one that opens up like a book. Very popular among ladies as they chuck their phones into their handbag and having something to cover the screen from keys, lipsticks and what not is a must. But what about men?

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 19:21:15 »
Gratz strict!

Any men here find those folio like casing useful? The one that opens up like a book. Very popular among ladies as they chuck their phones into their handbag and having something to cover the screen from keys, lipsticks and what not is a must. But what about men?
I got one of those folio style cases as a temporary case until my Spigen case came in. It had a rigid plastic back and was the only option in my local store. I used it as is for the first few weeks but when I was sent the wrong case in the mail and learned I would be waiting a while longer, I cut the entire flap off. It does have its purpose, specifically the one you mentioned. But it got in the way for me. It blocked the camera also.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #362 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 19:32:41 »
Got my 64gb 6+ just a few minutes ago and the first thing I checked was that I got lucky and got MLC memory  :D

Congrats! It's nice to be pleasantly surprised.
Now i'm curious. Not finding the IO app on Pgyer.com site

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 19:36:53 »
128 6 Plus has TLC (assuming I did this correctly)

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 November 2014, 20:18:25 by Input Nirvana »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #364 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 23:16:38 »

(Attachment Link)
yeah 3 bit = TLC; oh no!  :( :-X

(that's why I rather not find out!)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #365 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 23:45:23 »

(Attachment Link)

Meh, it's just a device.
Today it's awesome, next year it's good, the year after it's "what's new? and the year after it's totally old crap you can't believe you're still using.
Just like my iPhone 1 and iPhone 4.
I'll survive, just sharing the technical info because this is GEEK. HACK.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 23:48:02 »
Great! You have reached The One status, not bounded and slaved to a device!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 23:57:51 »
another thing to worry about?

lol
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:04:06 »
another thing to worry about?

lol

Hheeyyy-y-y-y-y

Offline Belfong

« Reply #369 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:04:10 »
That's the life of a geek. I wish I lead a simpler life :P

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:04:37 »

(Attachment Link)

Meh, it's just a device.
Today it's awesome, next year it's good, the year after it's "what's new? and the year after it's totally old crap you can't believe you're still using.

I share these same feeling with nvidia products.
but the cell phone is justified bc i use it everyday :-\

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:09:28 »

(Attachment Link)

Meh, it's just a device.

As long as it works every day. That's the criteria. I'm not gonna waste any time on it.
The one thing I regret (a little) is all the massive time sink on some of these pursuits. Total waste, I did it with aquariums, keyboards, car mods, the list goes on, etc...time sink and NO return. Need to minimize and adjust to stuff that has more return other than mico-manage insignificant details. Right?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #372 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:14:13 »
Fortunately I do have a guiding principle when it comes to sinking time on hobbies. It's gotta be anything related to PC. I have a buddy and we both cross check on each other and reminded each other of those other pursuits that is non-PC related which we both know very well is just a temporary gratification and we will both gravitate back to the PC. As such, any time waster/money sink should be spent on PC stuff. He has no interest in keyboard, but because keyboard is still PC related, it's ok for me to sink time on it. I guess iPhone is the other exception because, because.. I can't think of how it's related to PC but yeah, it's something we spent a lot of time on. Because of this, I didn't spend on stuff like car, stereo system, home audio visual stuff, etc etc. Win!

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:17:21 »

(Attachment Link)

Meh, it's just a device.

As long as it works every day. That's the criteria. I'm not gonna waste any time on it.
The one thing I regret (a little) is all the massive time sink on some of these pursuits. Total waste, I did it with aquariums, keyboards, car mods, the list goes on, etc...time sink and NO return. Need to minimize and adjust to stuff that has more return other than mico-manage insignificant details. Right?

for sure. mine is keeping it real at 46% batt after 12 hours i6plus 64gb msc/tlc-(don't wanna know)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:46:21 »
Funny reflection:
Today...iPhone 6 Plus $582, case $20, will buy car phone holder and couple cables...about $100+. Also, may get privacy screen and so about $750??

1985: Car phone installed in car. I paid half. $1500
1989: Handheld cell phone. $800
1990's-2007: High quality phones cost whatever, but it wasn't crazy... I remember $200-350
2007: iPhone came out and was pretty much the most expensive phone out there. I dropped $600 but later got a $200 Apple card refund
2014: Right back up to the cost as 25 years ago (not adjusted for inflation)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 01:12:34 »
I can't believe I bought a 6+ instead of upgrading my PC or buying a GTX card or something. I'm still using a Core 2 Quad PC. Ha ha ha! Don't laugh.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #376 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 01:34:56 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 01:50:10 »
RAM aside, I've been pretty happy with the performance of my iphone 6. The only thing that is ever an issue is Safari, it's really kinda bad. When entering text on forums they seem to have changed something so it's worse than in the last iOS? idk... I feel like it should be much better than it is but it's still better than how it ran on my iPhone 5.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 02:50:00 »
I also can't decide if I love or hate the fact that I have a gold iPhone. As half the time, depending on the surface it's on, you can't tell that it's gold, other times... You really really can lol

Offline Belfong

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:20:23 »
In all honesty my iPhone 4 was only ever dropped once in its life time. The day I bought it. By my friend Greg.

****in' Greg!!  He would drop your phone...

Hahaha no matter how unbelievable it is, it's still the absolute truth! Everything on my 4 is perfect except the home button is a little bit of a prick sometimes and needs a few presses to work. I never used a screen protector the entire time and there isn't even a single scratch in the glass either.

You should teach Halverson proper phone-handling techniques...   :rolleyes:

:-*

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #381 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 15:46:15 »
I want a 4-way matte privacy film screen protector (privacy, no glare, no fingerprints, protection). Figured I'd try the films before any tempered glass ones. I see eBay cheapie no-names and then name brands like Tech Armor, BodyGuardz, Insten, etc. Any recommendations or all they all about the same? Appreciated.

Phone size: It's large, but the gains make it nice. I'm enjoying it. Any size problem is restricted to using or carrying. Using is probably ok but sometimes carrying may be an issue...need a pocket that holds without tight-breakage issue. Will see as my usage/lifestyle changes. I accept that at some point there may be damage.

Case: At this point for my usage I'm satisfied with my case choice  Ballistic Urbanite soft touch black (blend between slightly more protection, grippy, yet not a tank). My usage will change next month so I'll see if it's the final case choice.

Side note: I notice that the glass screen on my phone seems "slippery" which is pretty neat. My 1 year old iPad Mini isn't as slippery, don't remember if it used to be more. I've only wiped it with a cloth/damp cloth, no alcohol. Maybe different glass/coating?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 15:48:36 by Input Nirvana »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #382 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 11:35:26 »
This is how a GeekHacker makes a decision to purchase a phone holder for a vehicle when there are some possible size issues.
I almost feel sorry for the reps I'm communicating with to figure out how to make it work. But for $100 I don't want any stupid fitment problems.

82928-0

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #383 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 12:06:00 »
damn $100? I spent like £5 on mine and it's just a suction pad with an hinge and then a grip, can be used for anything lol

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #384 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 12:12:36 »
www.proclipusa.com

www.kudausa.com

I have ProClip, yea, pricey. Mounts clean to dash, no holes/suction cups, 2 part: specific phone fit, specific car fit, integrated charging if you want (I do).

Geeking happens on other sites. Truck owners aren't much different:
http://www.f150forum.com/f7/proclip-sync-272460/#post3691617
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 November 2014, 12:16:37 by Input Nirvana »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #385 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 19:58:20 »
Aren't you the guy who said upthread that it's just a tool, the technology is 'wow' now but will be old news in a year's time? So, why spend $100 on a mount? Get a $20 one and if the phone fall off, that's ok, it can be replaced :P :P

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #386 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 23:14:52 »

Aren't you the guy who said upthread that it's just a tool, the technology is 'wow' now but will be old news in a year's time? So, why spend $100 on a mount? Get a $20 one and if the phone fall off, that's ok, it can be replaced :P :P

Yep :)

Exactly :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #387 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 01:59:34 »
IM struggling to see the advantage of that $100 clip and my £10 one, mine will even hold any device! Lol

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #388 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:49:06 »
IM struggling to see the advantage of that $100 clip and my �10 one, mine will even hold any device! Lol

You and me both. Gonna hate myself for purchasing later today.

I already have the dash mount (vehicle specific) and phone holder (iPhone 4) but need a different phone holder (iPhone 6 Plus) now.
The big 4 bennies are:
-one handed dock/undock
-charging/power/hard wired option with my FORD SYNC
-no wires dangling around, plugging/unplugging, using the dash/using dash plugs (I have the wiring concealed)
-It's fully one hand adjustable and rotate portrait/landscape as well.

This particular phone holder is much larger than the previous holder for my iPhone 4 (because I'm using a medium-thick case), so when phone isn't in dock, it's much larger/uglier. The pics in the Ford forum link don't show the holder without phone, but my old small one it's fairly clean/non-obtrusive when not in use.

There's a 20% off promo code right now which helps.

Size difference:

« Last Edit: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:53:35 by Input Nirvana »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #389 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 12:43:19 »
I have a usb lighter adapter thing which has another lighter socket and two usb ports and it fits into the cup holder, had it for years and it works a charm. Cheap windscreen clamp and boom, can mount a satnav, my phone, the gf's phone, a photo, a dildo or a flesh light.... :D

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #390 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 12:52:01 »
I have a usb lighter adapter thing . . . .a dildo or a flesh light.... :D

Sounds innovation, multifunctional, and a great christmas gift for anyone!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #391 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 13:10:06 »
I have a usb lighter adapter thing . . . .a dildo or a flesh light.... :D

Sounds innovation, multifunctional, and a great christmas gift for anyone!

:D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 13:21:29 »
So I was hugely against these when they came out.. Though my wife and I may upgrade our 5's when our plan is ready to upgrade.
The battery life and a bit larger screen may be nice.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 13:52:40 »
So I was hugely against these when they came out.. Though my wife and I may upgrade our 5's when our plan is ready to upgrade.

The battery life on my 6+ is ridiculous. I can easily go two full days with heavy use, and 3+ days with normal use. I haven't plugged mine in to charge since Friday afternoon and I still have 70% battery left.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #394 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 14:37:11 »

The battery life on my 6+ is ridiculous. I can easily go two full days with heavy use, and 3+ days with normal use. I haven't plugged mine in to charge since Friday afternoon and I still have 70% battery left.

wow thats sweet! I hope the 6 is good too!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #395 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 15:00:03 »

Yeah I saw someone using a 6+ in the wild today and was thinking maybe I made the wrong choice with the 6, but then I saw her home screen, and the massive gaps between the icons (ala the iPad) would drive me insane lol!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 04:40:28 »

How is this possible? I have a 6+ and I have to charge my phone after 17 hours - for example, I left the house at 7am after a full charge and by the time it is 11pm, I have to charge again. There is no way it can go beyond 24 hours. Did you switch off 3G or LTE?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 04:41:48 »

Yeah I saw someone using a 6+ in the wild today and was thinking maybe I made the wrong choice with the 6, but then I saw her home screen, and the massive gaps between the icons (ala the iPad) would drive me insane lol!
You know how we can create folders to put icons? The folders in a 5s can display 9 icons. The folder in 6 and 6+ can also display 9 icons. If Steve Jobs were alive, he would throw a fit! I think it's really LAZY for Apple not to change this part of the UI.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #398 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 05:48:06 »

You know how we can create folders to put icons? The folders in a 5s can display 9 icons. The folder in 6 and 6+ can also display 9 icons. If Steve Jobs were alive, he would throw a fit! I think it's really LAZY for Apple not to change this part of the UI.

I think it's pretty bad design for the iPad and iPhone 6+ to just have pointless empty space between app icons on the home screen. Add another row, another column... I also think on the iPad and 6, 6+ when you open a folder it should show more than just 9 icons and blur out the rest of the screen... Maybe small things, but it's annoying

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 05:51:17 »

This drove me nuts, all the wasted space was staggering. One of the first tweaks I installed after jail breaking was FolderEnhancer so that I could have folders with 24 icons.