Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 118070 times)

Offline luisbg

Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 06:21:48 »
So overpriced. OnePlus One has a bigger screen, bigger pixel density, longer battery life, and faster cpu/gpu. For a quarter of the price.

Plus not jail locked, vendor tied, and all that crap.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #401 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 06:48:09 »
So overpriced. OnePlus One has a bigger screen, bigger pixel density, longer battery life, and faster cpu/gpu. For a quarter of the price.

Damn son, your so happy with your perfect phone you decided to spam a thread for a different phone! That means you must be perfectly happy with your phone and are in no way over compensating! I'm sold! Where can I pick one up??!!

Offline luisbg

« Reply #402 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 06:56:36 »

Damn son, your so happy with your perfect phone you decided to spam a thread for a different phone! That means you must be perfectly happy with your phone and are in no way over compensating! I'm sold! Where can I pick one up??!!

Your sarcasm is a great means of communication Dad.

I don't have a OnePlus One. It is just a good example of my point, which is, iPhones are very overpriced.
They are quality products but Apple should've started dropping the price a long time ago.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 06:58:25 »

I don't have a OnePlus One. It is just a good example of my point, which is, iPhones are very overpriced.
They are quality products but Apple should've started dropping the price a long time ago.

Don't worry Son!
I'll have a word with the newsagent and try and get you an extra round or two on your paper round! You'll be able to afford one in no time! :D

Offline luisbg

« Reply #404 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 07:02:36 »

Don't worry Son!
I'll have a word with the newsagent and try and get you an extra round or two on your paper round! You'll be able to afford one in no time! :D

Hahahahaha being able to afford it and wanting to spend the money are different things. I'm in GH, I spend several hundred pounds on my keyboards. Doing the same on my phone is logical.
Sorry I want to get more out of my investment on a phone though.

Clearly you like iPhones because they almost make you look cool.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #405 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 07:06:25 »

Don't worry Son!

Hahahahaha being able to afford it and wanting to spend the money are different things. I'm in GH, I spend several hundred pounds on my keyboards. Doing the same on my phone is logical.

Listen Son, the world is a scary complicated place, full of different people from all kinds of backgrounds. It's wonderous, it really is. But one thing you'll learn when your older is that different people do things for different reasons, reasons you might not be able to understand at the moment, but that's fine, it's not scary, it's just different.
The more time you spend being angry at people you don't know, the more unhappy you'll become, and your mother and I don't want that for you.

Ok scamp, it's past your bed time, run along and your mother will be in to tuck you in!

Offline luisbg

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 07:35:52 »

Don't worry Son!

Listen Son, the world is a scary complicated place, full of different people from all kinds of backgrounds. It's wonderous, it really is. But one thing you'll learn when your older is that different people do things for different reasons, reasons you might not be able to understand at the moment, but that's fine, it's not scary, it's just different.
The more time you spend being angry at people you don't know, the more unhappy you'll become, and your mother and I don't want that for you.

Ok scamp, it's past your bed time, run along and your mother will be in to tuck you in!

Thanks Dad. You are the best! I've always wished you were my real Dad.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #407 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 08:49:44 »

As someone who has owned a OnePlus One, let me breakdown how wrong you are.

- The OPO feels significantly cheaper than any iPhone I've ever owned. The sandstone back was awesome but the build quality of the phone feels like a phone that costs half as much. Regarding cost, the 64GB OPO is $350 and an off-contract 64GB 6+ is $849 which is pretty far from 1/4 the cost. Seeing as how most people will buy their 6+ on contract, the price would be $399 which effectively makes the difference closer to $50.

- OPO is not carrier locked but it is bound to GSM bands whereas the 6 and 6+ can be used on CDMA or GSM. I'm currently using a verizon iphone with an att sim right now and I get LTE just about everywhere I go that gives me as high as 30Mbps.

- The battery life of the OPO is **** compared to the 6+. I got two days out of the OPO if I stretched it and used it somewhat-sparingly. The 6+ routinely gets me 3-4 days between charges with my normal level of use. I bet I could manage 5 days in between charges with light use.

- The screen on the OPO is not any bigger than the 6+, they are both 5.5". Pixel density is identical between the OPO and the 6+, 401PPI.

- According to GeekBench, the performance between the two devices is pretty much identical. My usage of both devices pretty much mirrored those benchmarks, they are both stupidly fast no matter what you're doing.

Honestly, the biggest reason I didn't keep the OPO is Android itself. The notification system is years behind iOS, even using stuff like DashClock. I would get an alert sound or a flashing light and have to dig around to figure out why my phone was squawking at me. The Play Store is an absolute cess-pool of free-mium apps and spyware. The interface of just about everything is clunky as **** and there was no discernable design consistency between apps. The mail options are terrible; no unified inbox using default apps so you end up having to install garbage like InoMail or K9.

The only area I feel like I compromised moving from the OPO to the 6+ was the camera. The camera on the 6+ is a disappointment compared to the awesome one on the OPO. The Cyanogen camera app sucked balls, but the camera itself was awesome.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline luisbg

« Reply #408 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 09:05:52 »
When you get a phone cheaper because you buy it with a contract you are paying the difference back every month. By the end you always end up paying more.

You sound like you are American. I personally pay 15 british pounds a month for unlimited 4G data, unlimited sms, and 2,000 minutes of voice calls (which I barely use because I just use skype over 4G). My girlfriend pays 10 because she is OK with a data cap.

Even with a 2gb monthly cap I would've spent a lot more over the last year if I had gone with a contract phone.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #409 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 09:08:40 »
Can we please stop talking about cheap, ****ty, plastic phones for children please?

This is a thread for nice, expensive, metal and glass phones for cool adults, let's get back on topic children.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #410 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 09:52:57 »
Can we please stop talking about cheap, ****ty, plastic phones for children please?

This is a thread for nice, expensive, metal and glass phones for cool adults, let's get back on topic children.

i didn't know we were talking about the HTC One here.
Since I'm 99% sure more teens own iphones than android devices.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #411 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 10:02:06 »
How is jailbreaking coming along in ios7? (Or are we on 8 now?) last time I checked cyida (?) was pretty terrible and all the decent stuff you could do with it you had to pay for

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #412 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 10:06:44 »
How is jailbreaking coming along in ios7? (Or are we on 8 now?) last time I checked cyida (?) was pretty terrible and all the decent stuff you could do with it you had to pay for

wait do you have an iphone 6/6+?
it shipped with iOS8.

Anyway jailbreaking is currently available for the latest iOS 8.1.1.

Pangu jailbreak is for 8.0.x - 8.1.0
new jailbreak team TaiG is for 8.1.1

Offline luisbg

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 10:14:36 »

i didn't know we were talking about the HTC One here.
Since I'm 99% sure more teens own iphones than android devices.

iPhone and Beats by Dre = the teenager uniform.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #414 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 10:30:10 »
Well this thread is going swimmingly.

If you're not here to have a civil discussion about the iPhone 6, please don't post here.

This is not a thread to discuss which phone is better (unless it's between iPhone 6/6+).  This thread is strictly for the iPhone 6 (and 6+).

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #415 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 10:35:09 »

it shipped with iOS8.

6, yeah I can't remember the numbers, just wondered if it had improved from when I was running it on my old 5.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #416 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:06:48 »

it shipped with iOS8.

6, yeah I can't remember the numbers, just wondered if it had improved from when I was running it on my old 5.

im confused how jailbreak could be horrible.
Jailbreak just gives you administrator rights to your device ala Root on android.

Cydia is just a repository to find apps and what not developed by developers that offer tweaks to iOS.  The fact you have to pay for some of the apps just means you pay the developers who developed these programs.  Has nothing to do with Jailbreak as if you were technically proficient enough you too could program these tweaks for your iDevice after you jailbreak.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #417 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:11:35 »

it shipped with iOS8.

Jailbreak just gives you administrator rights to your device ala Root on android.

Cydia is just a repository to find apps and what not developed by developers that offer tweaks to iOS.  The fact you have to pay for some of the apps just means you pay the developers who developed these programs.  Has nothing to do with Jailbreak as if you were technically proficient enough you too could program these tweaks for your iDevice after you jailbreak.

Now I remember why I stopped replying to your posts :)

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #418 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 15:14:08 »

it shipped with iOS8.

Now I remember why I stopped replying to your posts :)

glad to know you hate to read comments you don't agree with.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #419 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 18:54:06 »

it shipped with iOS8.

Your post was a little caustic and not
terribly helpful.

Jailbreaking goes into the OS and enables the running of unsigned applications and daemons. It removes many, if not most of, the protections in place that protect the phone from intrusion and hijacking. For example, for a while jail broken phones disabled the required authentication of connected usb host devices (e.g., computers and chargers) thus opening up someone to having their whole phone downloaded by a rogue charger at the airport for example. Also the JavaScript bug from 2012 only ran on jail broken devices.

So, while it's convenient to dl apps from unsigned repos you had better know what you're doing.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #420 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 21:23:05 »

Well this thread is going swimmingly.

If you're not here to have a civil discussion about the iPhone 6, please don't post here.

This is not a thread to discuss which phone is better (unless it's between iPhone 6/6+).  This thread is strictly for the iPhone 6 (and 6+).
Some people feel the need to force their opinions on others and act as if those of us who buy iPhones need their secret "tip" as if we have never heard of other phones before. It's a superiority complex.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Belfong

« Reply #421 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 21:45:41 »
Wait, there ARE OTHER phones?!?!

/awakens from the spell Apple cast!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #422 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 22:36:26 »
Well, I joined the real world today and broke out the 6 Plus in public. I'm a total pimp-slut with dis ting. Hanging around with peeps that have the Samsung G5 which is similar...but not nearly as fantastical. Yes, the phone makes me a far better person and I know it.

Waiting for the Tech Armor 4 way privacy screen film so I can keep my 6 Plus awesomeness all to myself.

Cost. Yea, it's more, but you get something for the price. It's got plenty of value adds.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 01:32:40 »

it shipped with iOS8.

terribly helpful.

Jailbreaking goes into the OS and enables the running of unsigned applications and daemons. It removes many, if not most of, the protections in place that protect the phone from intrusion and hijacking. For example, for a while jail broken phones disabled the required authentication of connected usb host devices (e.g., computers and chargers) thus opening up someone to having their whole phone downloaded by a rogue charger at the airport for example. Also the JavaScript bug from 2012 only ran on jail broken devices.

So, while it's convenient to dl apps from unsigned repos you had better know what you're doing.

I know what jailbreaking is and allows, but when I did it, it wasn't to run random **** it was to improve the usability because the old iOS had pretty ****ty functionality. The new pretty iOS mostly fixed that, so I was wondering if there was anything else out there n cydia and other jailbreak stores and if those stores had gotten better and not just full of the same ****ty emulators that they where when I was jailbreaking...

One example of a jail broken tool that was suppose to be coming to cyida was the Facebook chat heads, so when you got a notification, instead of disabling the top half of your app a little bubble would pop open with a picture of who it was from and you could move that bubble to anywhere on the screen, hide it or tap to reply without switching apps... But I never saw it :/
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 December 2014, 01:34:49 by baldgye »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #424 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 05:50:26 »

it shipped with iOS8.

terribly helpful.

I know what jailbreaking is and allows, but when I did it, it wasn't to run random **** it was to improve the usability because the old iOS had pretty ****ty functionality. The new pretty iOS mostly fixed that, so I was wondering if there was anything else out there n cydia and other jailbreak stores and if those stores had gotten better and not just full of the same ****ty emulators that they where when I was jailbreaking...

One example of a jail broken tool that was suppose to be coming to cyida was the Facebook chat heads, so when you got a notification, instead of disabling the top half of your app a little bubble would pop open with a picture of who it was from and you could move that bubble to anywhere on the screen, hide it or tap to reply without switching apps... But I never saw it :/

Apple seems to have incorporated many of the usability tweaks that were only available in jailbreak before.

The only reason I would jailbreak now is to do things like full time vpn, filter domains like ads, specify DNS servers globally, etc. but the security trade offs are just too great now.

I do think the jailbreak community seems to be losing a bit of steam over the last year; seems like many of the previously innovative folks are doing other things now.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 06:01:14 »
Yeah, literally all the jailbreaking apps I ran, bar a ****ty gba emulator and an Adblock are in the new versions of iOS. It's such a shame that that community couldn't get together and give a good reason for open iPhones... I hope now that a bunch of iOS api's are open more interesting things can happen... But I still pine for good notifications

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 08:25:55 »
There are a couple tweaks I have installed that I think make jail breaking totally worth it. I think many of the security issues you guys are worried about can be mitigated simply by changing the default root password.

AdBlocker - self-explanatory
FolderEnhancer - lets you customize folder display sizes and behavior; instead of 9 icons per page, I have 24
Nitrous - Gives other browsers a huge javascript speed boost
SwipeShiftCaret - swiping on a text input box allows you to move the cursor so you dont have to use that ****ty magnifying glass. IMO, this one alone makes JB worth it.
Tage - multitasking gestures; swipe up from bottom to close current app, swipe up and hold to open switcher, etc
GuizmoDNS - Allows you to specify your own DNS servers like level3 or opendns
CommCenter - lets you install modified carrier bundles for better reception/speed
Activator - custom actions like hold volume up button = skip track. Great when your listening to music while driving.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 08:30:39 »
There are a couple tweaks I have installed that I think make jail breaking totally worth it. I think many of the security issues you guys are worried about can be mitigated simply by changing the default root password.

FolderEnhancer - lets you customize folder display sizes and behavior; instead of 9 icons per page, I have 24
SwipeShiftCaret - swiping on a text input box allows you to move the cursor so you dont have to use that ****ty magnifying glass. IMO, this one alone makes JB worth it.
Tage - multitasking gestures; swipe up from bottom to close current app, swipe up and hold to open switcher, etc
CommCenter - lets you install modified carrier bundles for better reception/speed
Activator - custom actions like hold volume up button = skip track. Great when your listening to music while driving.

Man, a few of those make me wish I could jailbreak my phone.  xD  But I can't, company phone.  :(  Oh well.  Still good to know about.  :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 08:31:18 »
SwipeShiftCaret does sound pretty damn cool...

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 10:15:27 »

Some other apps i'd recommend in addition to the list above:
F.lux - changes the LCD color temperature to reduce eye strain.  you can set different presets and time periods. 
I personally use this for my ipad, my android phone, and my computer monitor.
Bioprotect - allows you to lock some apps that aren't launchable without your fingerprint scan.  I use a similar app on my Note 4 (FingerSecurity)
ForceGoodFit - basically scales apps that aren't updated for iphone6/6+ resolutions.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 14:01:50 »
Wouldn't touch it with a 10ft cattleprod... Or actually I probably would just to see it fry.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 14:34:31 »

Wouldn't touch it with a 10ft cattleprod... Or actually I probably would just to see it fry.
congratulations!!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #432 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 14:35:46 »
Am I crazy or did the music app on iOS used to have a 'add to next playing' option like iTunes does?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #433 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 19:18:02 »
Just saying if you tilt the 6+ horizontally, it has an expanded  keyboard including left and right arrow keys.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #434 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 21:37:32 »
I got Swype and Elliptic Keyboard to try out. I also got the freebie MYKB to custom make keyboard so I could have Colemak. These keyboards work in portrait and landscape modes.
Just some FYI
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #435 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 04:15:23 »
I ended up ditching swift key, it was just too unnatural..

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #436 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 05:01:04 »
I miss google keyboard so much right now.
Sniff sniff.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #437 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 05:05:17 »
Did we do a poll on 64GB vs 128GB? I went with 64GB as I think it's a sweet spot but I wonder how many go with 128?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #438 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 05:37:55 »
Did we do a poll on 64GB vs 128GB? I went with 64GB as I think it's a sweet spot but I wonder how many go with 128?

I'm still waiting for my 6+.  I usually go with a 32GB but since there is none, I went with a 64GB.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #439 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 06:11:13 »

I tried for the life of me to get a 64gb but they were sold out nationwide with like a month or two wait... So I opted for the 128... Have to say, having my whole iTunes library available where ever i am is amazing!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #440 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 07:03:15 »

congratulations!!

Thank you! :D

I meant it in the nicest possible way. Really. ;)

It's nice to see a bigger display on the iPhone, but I really think it's lost it's mojo and is starting to be a follower more than a leader nowadays. I remember when the first iPhone was announced. I was working in the Nokia offices and heard someone start swearing. When I went  to check what was going on, I saw him looking at the iPhone announcement online and expressing his shock at how thin it was. Rather an appropriate response now that I look back on it. It was the start of Nokia playing catch up and never quite succeeding.

Samsung has taken over in terms of innovation and boldness, IMHO. They spend huge amounts on R&D and it's paid off.

I love Apple as a company, don't get me wrong, but I fear that with Mr. Jobs no longer at the helm the company will head in the same direction it was when he was fired in the 90's. I mean, they're spending 4.5 billion dollars a year in R&D and the best they can do is the iPhone 6 and Watch, both of which are poor cousins of existing products made by competitors. The Galaxy Note 4, for instance, is better in just about every way, has the amazing stylus and it's cheaper to boot (albeit not by much). Motorola and LG have watches with round displays and better designs, Samsung has ones with sim slots and massive app lists, most of them have more sensors, etc. Apple need a new game changer and I don't see Tim Cook being the one to bring it to life.

In fact, if they can solve some input issues, I see Samsung bringing out the first stylish, affordable and successful "Photch" (phone watch).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #441 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:00:21 »
I don't think you could be further from the truth. Samsung has had a huge drop in sales where as Apple is struggling to keep up with demand for the iPhone.
Since the launch of the App Store the iPhone has never been on the cutting edge of specs, but it's beyond anyone else in terms of all roundedness and... Togetherness (?) I can't think of the word... Apple sells devices on the basis that 'it just works' it does this by limiting its scope and hiding things, that was the iPhone's success.

I don't see any reason why that would change.

In regards to watches, the Apple watch will destroy samsungs in terms of sales, simply because it's an Apple product. But I see neither as being very nice or even appealing. In fact the only watch I would wear atm is the Moto 360 and even that is too big... If you want innovation in that space you should be looking at Sony... Not Samsung who's approach is, well let's put everything possible on it and see what happens...

I think I was with you pre-iPad that Apple needed something big and new to compete, I was wrong and I think your wrong now for the same reasons :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:02:02 by baldgye »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #442 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 09:54:29 »
I don't think you could be further from the truth. Samsung has had a huge drop in sales where as Apple is struggling to keep up with demand for the iPhone.
Since the launch of the App Store the iPhone has never been on the cutting edge of specs, but it's beyond anyone else in terms of all roundedness and... Togetherness (?) I can't think of the word... Apple sells devices on the basis that 'it just works' it does this by limiting its scope and hiding things, that was the iPhone's success.

This has been my opinion as of late.  You can compare specs all day, but in the end when I use a phone and compare, the iPhone just gives a better experience.  And there will always be a big market for people who don't care too much for "bleeding edge" tech because ultimately it's just untested tech.  I'd rather buy a reliable phone without bells and whistles.  Of course this is a really black and white interpretation and it's not so cut and dry, but it's a generalization.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #443 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 10:08:59 »
Received my iPhone 6 Plus last week. Ordered a Nexus 5 tonight. Thought about getting the Nexus 6, but really can't justify dropping another $800+ on a phone that I won't be using as my main phone.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #444 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 10:20:34 »

This has been my opinion as of late.  You can compare specs all day, but in the end when I use a phone and compare, the iPhone just gives a better experience.  And there will always be a big market for people who don't care too much for "bleeding edge" tech because ultimately it's just untested tech.  I'd rather buy a reliable phone without bells and whistles.  Of course this is a really black and white interpretation and it's not so cut and dry, but it's a generalization.

I too, generally, feel the same. I'm using a 4s still and won't be upgrading until it doesn't cost me a dime.
Bought this one used for $150 and have it on pay-as-you-go; costs me about $5/week. I get wifi most places for free calling and texts. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #445 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 14:57:42 »
I got 128 and that was all I was interested in getting, want more room, not less. I may use as a flash drive, etc. Anticipate having it for 2 years, 128 may be standard by that time.

Got the Tech Armor 4 way Privacy Screen Protector film (not ballistic glass) in the mail, and used the hinge method to install in a steamy bathroom for a dust free install and it worked out great. No more "looky-loos" over my shoulder commenting on the bikini clad babes I routinely display for my entertainment. I like it, it protects the screen, increases privacy, reduces fingerprints, and cuts down on glare. I'm a little disappointed because I thought it would be more "anti-glare". I'm not positive but I think I've seen other privacy/anti-glare/fingerprint films that look like a dark, inky, black hole with virtually no reflected light, but I'm not exactly sure since I don't play with other peoples phones. This Tech Armor still reflects light, but it's not glossy/shiny... more of a dull shine (matte?). I just put it on, I'll see how it is after a couple days of use.

Apple/Samsung/etc:
I want a product 'that just works", is streamlined, and has little compromise. I also want something that integrates... either direction anyone goes there really isn't much difference except in their minds, and a couple legitimate strengths/weaknesses. Apple isn't falling off the map because they deliver a phone that doesn't have "bleeding edge specs". Why? Because "bleeding edge specs" just aren't a requirement for a phone-mobile device (except in your mind). Overall performance, ease of use, reliability, integration, solid platform is what success is with these types of products. And they are all outdated crap in 2 years until such time this technology plateaus. Apple isn't crap, Samsung isn't crap, it's just an issue of semantics.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #446 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:42:37 »
After a month with iPhone 6 Plus, I started using an iPhone 6 for the last week for work (in an Otterbox Defender case), and it's VERY holdable, especially relative to my iphone 6 Plus. I miss the ease of carrying around a smaller unit, it's much easier/convenient. Love using my iPhone 6 Plus, but like carrying the iPhone 6. If you are super-mobile and don't have large hands, I can see how a 6 Plus would be a non-starter.

I also think Apple should consider keeping a small iPhone form factor (like the iPhone 4S)...small phones certainly have their place.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:44:38 by Input Nirvana »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #447 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 21:01:43 »
If you are a 6 or 6 plus owner and use both your hands when typing, I highly recommend this third party keyboard called Nintype.

http://nintype.com

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #448 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 01:59:25 »
Looks stunningly good. Are you using it?

For one-hand use I've been playing with the Elliptical Keyboard: https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id928974261?mt=8

Offline Belfong

Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #449 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 06:44:38 »
yes I am using it and loving it a lot. It's a lot of fun and I like all those disco lights! Actually I started a thread in the keyboards sub forum to discuss this.

Edit: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66604
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 December 2014, 10:14:26 by Belfong »