Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 118074 times)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:36:34 »

Looks stunningly good. Are you using it?

For one-hand use I've been playing with the Elliptical Keyboard: https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id928974261?mt=8
Im trying this one out a bit. It does work pretty good. Takes a little getting used to. the backspace is in a bad spot I find. I would prefer it above the P and the shift should be where the backspace is. Im probably going to revert back to the standard keyboard tho, not only for these mentioned reasons, but because it always defaults to right handed mode any time a message or other typing app is opened and thats too anoying for me. Not just when you open the apps for the first time, but every time a keybiard is opened, it reverts back to right handed mode. And im making a lot of wrong key presses. Not for me. Worth a buck to try I guess.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:38:47 »

For one-hand use I've been playing with the Elliptical Keyboard: https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id928974261?mt=8
Im trying this one out a bit. It does work pretty good. Takes a little getting used to. the backspace is in a bad spot I find. I would prefer it above the P and the shift should be where the backspace is. Im probably going to revert back to the standard keyboard tho, not only for these mentioned reasons, but because it always defaults to right handed mode any time a message or other typing app is opened and thats too anoying for me. Not just when you open the apps for the first time, but every time a keybiard is opened, it reverts back to right handed mode. And im making a lot of wrong key presses. Not for me. Worth a buck to try I guess.

Send the guy a message about it, so maybe he'll address it in an update. He's had an update or two already.

It's all about improving things.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 22:51:44 »

Send the guy a message about it, so maybe he'll address it in an update. He's had an update or two already.

It's all about improving things.
I will do that!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Belfong

« Reply #453 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 01:34:02 »
Hey YM88, try out NinType!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #454 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 07:58:13 »
When using custom keyboards don't you guys have issues with the new keyboard just not appearing by default (even when it's set as default)?
When I used swipe one lf the reasons I had to stop was because I got tried of having to constantly cycle through keyboards before it would come up, or if I disabled all other keyboards having to re open msgs etc to even get it to appear

Offline Belfong

« Reply #455 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 08:05:11 »
actually you could rearrange the keyboard. I put Nintype as then first keyboard. I guess this is what you meant as default? Anyway, with Nintype as the first keyboard, its rare that the App appears first in any app.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #456 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:09:20 »
Maybe they fixed it, but yeah that's what I meant.
When the new update came out I had constant keyboard issues which meant I couldn't ever get used to swiftkey, so it's good they have fixed it.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #457 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 22:47:23 »
I just read that Apple is making the Nintype developer remove the calculator from his keyboard with the next update. You may want to prevent it from updating.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 December 2014, 22:50:16 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #458 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 22:49:21 »

I just read that Apple is making the Tintype developer remove the calculator from his keyboard with the next update. You may want to prevent it from updating.

There's a calc?  How?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #459 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 22:52:03 »
I read it was a one key access I think, and that it's super convenient....sounds like it.
I don't have it yet, so I don't know exactly, jut passing it on. It should be in his blog or tweet or something.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #460 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 11:08:14 »
Just got a plastic snap on case for my phone and omg it makes using it so much easier. Out of a case the body is so slippery that holding it can be an issue, let alone propping it up on something to watch a video or something.
This new case looks pretty cool and gives some proper needed friction and bulk that makes just holding it nicer. Idk why they made the 6 so thin when having it a bit thicker not only allows the camera to be flush but also makes it just easier and nice to hold.
Also having a case makes the vol and lock buttons resessed and so a lot harder to press when just trying to stop the phone falling out of your hand!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #461 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:07:46 »

I just read that Apple is making the Tintype developer remove the calculator from his keyboard with the next update. You may want to prevent it from updating.

There's a calc?  How?
Let me describe it. As you typed a iMessage to someone and you wanted to do an instant calculation, say "Honey, I just spent $100 on a Clack - that's like Ringgit Malaysia .. um ", you press a button and the keys on the keyboard turned to number keys with add, plus, divide and multiply legends. You can do your calculation there and when you get the result, pressing a key will push it to your already composed message. It's a really cool feature. Apple asked him to remove which sucked, but latest tweet from Nintype is that Apple said it is ok to put it back.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #462 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:11:07 »
Cool... I saw the update had it removed, so it comes back BY POPULAR DEMAND!  HAHAHA <sorry>

I still don't have it.

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 December 2014, 23:54:21 by Input Nirvana »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #463 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:26:48 »
Just got a plastic snap on case for my phone and omg it makes using it so much easier. Out of a case the body is so slippery that holding it can be an issue, let alone propping it up on something to watch a video or something.
This new case looks pretty cool and gives some proper needed friction and bulk that makes just holding it nicer. Idk why they made the 6 so thin when having it a bit thicker not only allows the camera to be flush but also makes it just easier and nice to hold.
Also having a case makes the vol and lock buttons resessed and so a lot harder to press when just trying to stop the phone falling out of your hand!

Both iPhones are very sexy and slippery-smooth, kills to put any case on except maybe the Apple leather case (with provides virtually no drop protection). My case sometimes makes one of the volumes buttons not press in a very positive fashion...I personally find it very annoying. And the case and privacy screen have unfortunately taken away the sleek appearance and the shiny screen...makes it seem like an industrial chunk of tar.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #464 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 23:54:59 »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #465 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:07:05 »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #466 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:10:06 »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #467 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:24:47 »

KEYBOAD ARTICLE:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/12/22/next-keyboard/

cool.. but I already have Nintype.

Daaaaang.  What are you? A keyboard fanatic??????

As I read through the Next Keyboard kickstarter, many of its features are already done by Nintype.
And Nintype is available NOW.
Lastly, Nintype is just one guy - and he did an even better job than this group of developers. I am sure The Next Keyboard would be good as well but I'd rather give my money to a lone developer who already have a product NOW, than to give the same amount of money to a 'promise'... Anyway, I REALLY like Nintype - you guys in Geekhack owe yourself a Nintype keyboard. It's like claiming you are a GH fans but have not owned a HHKB. Seriously? :P :P :P

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #468 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:26:37 »

KEYBOAD ARTICLE:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/12/22/next-keyboard/

cool.. but I already have Nintype.

Daaaaang.  What are you? A keyboard fanatic??????

As I read through the Next Keyboard kickstarter, many of its features are already done by Nintype.
And Nintype is available NOW.
Lastly, Nintype is just one guy - and he did an even better job than this group of developers. I am sure The Next Keyboard would be good as well but I'd rather give my money to a lone developer who already have a product NOW, than to give the same amount of money to a 'promise'... Anyway, I REALLY like Nintype - you guys in Geekhack owe yourself a Nintype keyboard. It's like claiming you are a GH fans but have not owned a HHKB. Seriously? :P :P :P

I'm with you on Nintype but I didn't know HHKB was the defacto GH standard HHAAHAHAHAn

Offline Belfong

« Reply #469 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:29:46 »
It is. It's the end game for many, don't you know? :P

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #470 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:38:37 »
It is. It's the end game for many, don't you know? :P

After over 5 years here...obviously no. I'm fairly pigeon holed with my ergo stuff, but I've seen some pretty awesome flat boards you guys use. Pretty neat...for steam machines.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #471 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 00:41:21 »
Ah, I'm equally pigeon hole and is not aware of how those Korean custom worked. Buy no matter, we are free to live in our own caves, which is why when it comes to iOS, you need Nintype, Now!, Input Nirvana!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 04:27:00 »

Both iPhones are very sexy and slippery-smooth, kills to put any case on except maybe the Apple leather case (with provides virtually no drop protection). My case sometimes makes one of the volumes buttons not press in a very positive fashion...I personally find it very annoying. And the case and privacy screen have unfortunately taken away the sleek appearance and the shiny screen...makes it seem like an industrial chunk of tar.

The one I have makes the phone feel a lot nicer in the hand tbh. Like I've said many times before I hate the design of the 6 and 6+ but love the performance and size of the 6. Having a case makes it easier to use and safer if/and when dropped.
The case in using has cut outs for the buttons and the bottom of the phone so nothing is obstructed.

Getuncommon.com is the site linked on the back of my case, would recommend.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #473 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 19:31:23 »
Baldgye:
See, I LIKE the way the phones look and feel, but I have a strong lack of confidence to carry without a case of some sort of case, even if it's just the thin Apple case (which doesn't totally destroy the shape feel. I have not dropped my phone in the 6 weeks I've had it. It's a little uncomfortable due to size or size with the medium case. Maybe should use 2 hands more often. Dunno if a thinner case would help. And its a little tight in the back pocket. Im not sure what would make me swap for a thin skin case. I'm a bit to active, fast moving and don't want to treat the phone like th Holy Grail at all times.

Belfong:
WHOA! Settle down there male-keyboard-geek! You scared me for a minute! We're all in this together! I agree with your idea of the "NOW" theory of purchasing the iOS8 keyboard verses the Kickstarter "IF". I was just pointing out the interesting options. I'll get on board soon, seems to good to pass up. We can be "Nin-bros"

Offline Belfong

« Reply #474 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 20:23:50 »
Let's be Nin-bros and compare our settings/preference settings! LOL! Can't wait for you to finally made that jump!

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #475 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:02:56 »
I have a 6+ and any other phone I use is too small now. I haven't personally had an issue with fitting into pockets, bending, or dropping it.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #476 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:05:22 »
I have a 6+ and any other phone I use is too small now. I haven't personally had an issue with fitting into pockets, bending, or dropping it.
Cool and now you need Nintype keyboard... and the reason I am so insistent on this is because we are in a keyboard forum :P

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #477 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:07:31 »

Cool and now you need Nintype keyboard... and the reason I am so insistent on this is because we are in a keyboard forum :P
I don't even know what that is, but I have tried SwiftKey but it is pretty glitchy.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #478 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 01:05:51 »

I don't even know what that is, but I have tried SwiftKey but it is pretty glitchy.

Check it out here. Way, way better than Swiftkey
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66604

On an unrelated subject, anyone here use a screen protector? I use a case bit I don't see a need for a screen protector. I feel that the Gorilla glass is solid and hard enough. And if you haven't used one, did you get any scratches?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #479 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 08:55:07 »

Check it out here. Way, way better than Swiftkey
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66604

On an unrelated subject, anyone here use a screen protector? I use a case bit I don't see a need for a screen protector. I feel that the Gorilla glass is solid and hard enough. And if you haven't used one, did you get any scratches?
I use a case only and no screen protector, mostly because they ruin the feel of the touch screen for me, and I had my iPhone 5 for 2 years and only put minor scratches on the screen.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #480 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 09:03:10 »
yeah, I don't use a screen protector too. I like the feel of the original screen. Very smooth and responsive.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #481 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 09:38:58 »
Yeah I didn't get a case for a while because I wanted to give the design and feel of the 6 the benefit of the doubt. That said while I was naked I dropped it a whole bunch and never got any scratches or dents.
But having a case on it now with a little bit of friction makes propping it up on things possible as well as just making it easier to hold and handle.

I imagine when there is a nice one out that isn't insane money I'll upgrade to a leather one (in black or tan) like I did with my iPhone 5.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #482 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 11:57:16 »

....That said while I was naked I dropped it a whole bunch and never got any scratches or dents.
But having a case on it now with a little bit of friction makes propping it up on things possible as well as just making it easier to hold and handle....

DAAANNGGG DUDE! We already like you, but you don't have to be naked and talking about friction and being easier to hold!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #483 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 12:17:08 »
Case Shmace. Andrew at Massdrop is my hero. He uses a naked 6+ as a double beer coaster

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #484 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 12:31:41 »

....That said while I was naked I dropped it a whole bunch and never got any scratches or dents.
But having a case on it now with a little bit of friction makes propping it up on things possible as well as just making it easier to hold and handle....

DAAANNGGG DUDE! We already like you, but you don't have to be naked and talking about friction and being easier to hold!

You want me to oil up fully dressed?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #485 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 12:35:13 »

You want me to oil up fully dressed?

Oh, I see the dilemma.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #486 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:04:05 »
ok time for some more feedback from an iphone 6 user; travelling abroad!!!!

Ok so idk what the **** but taking my iphone 6 abroad is becoming a never ending nightmare. I had taken my iphone 4 and 5 to the same place I am now and have had non of the issues im getting atm...
I can't call any uk number at all anymore, on my old phone my phone new where I was and knew to add the country code to the number and dial it, now I have to manually type out then number with the code... which you can't do in the dialer screen... wtf
Also my network connectivity has been garbage... I'm struggling to stay connected to wireless networks, download anything from them and what is making it worse is that for some reason I cant connect to any 3G networks, the exact same ones I could with my iphone 4 and 5... my plan hasn't even changed...

this has to be the single worst experiance using my phone abroad I've ever had... I can't even call customer services becasue its a uk number and not even a full number.... ugh 

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #487 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:59:26 »
I bought the Tech21 case for my 6+ today, a lot better than the other case I had for it.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #488 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 17:06:48 »
Well.. Can't believe I'm saying this but.. I'm considering getting a 6 plus. After trying to play terraria on my 5 all week at the family's place, my eyes feel like their going to explode. For sure need a bigger screen for games mainly. Going to wait a few months though. Maybe I'll wait for the S.

Offline Belfong

Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #489 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 19:00:24 »
Well.. Can't believe I'm saying this but.. I'm considering getting a 6 plus. After trying to play terraria on my 5 all week at the family's place, my eyes feel like their going to explode. For sure need a bigger screen for games mainly. Going to wait a few months though. Maybe I'll wait for the S.
Join me in the 6 Plus camp!!

Baldgye - is it a iOS 8 issue or really the iPhone 6 issue?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #490 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 19:01:40 »
Do it, soon you won't be able to handle phones any smaller. I can't touch my 5 anymore because it just feels way too small. Plus they look a lot better than S's.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #491 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 01:25:03 »
Now that Ive had the 6 Plus for about 6-7 weeks...I really dig picking up my little old 4. I still have not backed up and swapped out the information...I know, stupid. My digital life is a mess. But for so much of the day-to-day usage, you usually don't need the massive size...(for the calls, texts, weather, alarms...but maybe the increased size is helpful with email composing and gps traffic).

Had coffee today with buddy I mistakenly reported earlier here, that I compared my iPhone 6 Plus with hhis Samsung Galaxy S5...he actually has a Note 4. It's an impressive machine. You droid/Samsung guys have little to be embarrassed about. :)

Last weekend I lined up a 4, 5, 6, 6 Plus, iPad Mini with the same screens showing...interesting to see the scale on the different screens (ie: font size)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #492 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 04:36:01 »
Join me in the 6 Plus camp!!

Baldgye - is it a iOS 8 issue or really the iPhone 6 issue?

I've no idea :(

Offline Belfong

« Reply #493 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 04:48:29 »
I suppose you didn't update your iPhone 5 to iOS 8, so you can't really tell if it is OS issue or iPhone 6.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #494 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 05:32:51 »
I had my 5 on ios8 but never went abroad while I had it.

That said the HEX leather snap on case for iPhone 6 just came out! >.<

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #495 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 05:48:28 »
Alright you guys I wonder if you can help a brother out..... there are albums out there (music) that you can download legally for free (like the new Death Grips album), but they are .zips etc... do you guys know of an app that will download the zip file for you and then add that music to the music on your phone????

I'm away from my pc for a while and it wont let me sync with my gf's laptop without deleting all 100gb of music already on my iphone so i can't add it from another machine, but given that I use my iphone like a laptop replacement having this feature would be pretty handy anyway... if there is a solution via jailbreak let me know too... I might be tempted to jump back to the bad boy scene anyway

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #496 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 08:40:11 »
Jailbroken or stock?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 10:32:36 »
It's stock atm but I can jailbreak if the right apps/reasons exist :P

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #498 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 11:45:34 »
It's stock atm but I can jailbreak if the right apps/reasons exist :P

If you jailbreak Im pretty sure you can use the Bridge app to accomplish what you want. I think theres also a way to do it using iFile but you might want to do some research into that first.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #499 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 12:52:35 »
Ive been looking at them more and more and Ill probably go w the normal 6. Will fit my pocket better especially w an otterbox defender case. Though, Terraria would be best on a plus.  :rolleyes: