Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 118072 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:47:48 »
Use windows search and that device for *.jpg
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #551 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:00:32 »
Use windows search and that device for *.jpg

Cheers!
Although that dsnt seem to work for screen shots :/

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #552 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:37:35 »
Hmmm try just selecting pictures/images in the search drop down. Or *.jpg, *.png
I'm back.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #553 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:45:33 »
**** yeah they are .png's ty babe

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #554 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 07:53:25 »

**** yeah they are .png's ty babe

you're welcome
I'm back.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #555 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 00:51:59 »
Resurrection....
Have had my 6 Plus for 3.5 months. Have decreased texting while driving because it is more difficult (and I'm trying to quit). Plus these days with my schedule I don't have the patience to text-drive. But I still manage to communicate via text at 70 mph. The size is awesome for a couple things, but mostly not needed for anything else. I've found that my right wrist hurts a bit and the thumb joint....purely from one-handing the 6 Plus.....gotta be that reason. And carrying it is a hassle.

I have a 6 for my work....it's in an Otterbox Defender, so it's pretty big, but I can one-hand that baby all day long, much more comfortable.

I'm glad I got the 6 Plus, but I may not stay with that big of a phone next time around.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #556 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 01:06:20 »
Texting while driving, you sure are a winner.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #557 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 02:41:12 »
Well I guess I can post my thoughts several months after buying and using a 128gb iPhone 6.

It's a mixed bag, sometimes the phone is laggy as **** and I have to wait 2-3 seconds for the app switcher to come up after double tapping the home button. Siri is incapable of understanding foreign words, making it totally useles for listening to music. The music app crashes constantly and the finger print login has a huge failure rate.

It's also a nighgmare to handle, even with a case it's a bastard to pick up and then keep ahold off to use or watch videos on because of the fully autistic idea of making the sides curved.

Still an improvement over the 5 though... Lol

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #558 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 03:56:45 »
Was thinking the same thing, so not something to be bragging about.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #559 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 04:18:41 »
Was thinking the same thing, so not something to be bragging about.

This is bay area culture for you  :thumb:

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #560 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:45:04 »
That's all you got out of that post....drive-texting? Should I throw in that I ILLEGALLY download torrents on occasion?

Just throwing out there that it's a PHATT ASS FONE even with my full size large hands. One-handing phones is awesome (maybe Steve Jobs was right). I may grab a smaller case for my work iPhone 6 and try to use it more to see if I would like to drop in size next time around.  Not really sure anymore what the extra large size is good for besides video, which I don't do on phone.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #561 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:31:10 »
i've had my iphone for like 3 weeks.

scratched first week. coating on the glass is ****.

That's all you got out of that post....drive-texting? Should I throw in that I ILLEGALLY download torrents on occasion?

Just throwing out there that it's a PHATT ASS FONE even with my full size large hands. One-handing phones is awesome (maybe Steve Jobs was right). I may grab a smaller case for my work iPhone 6 and try to use it more to see if I would like to drop in size next time around.  Not really sure anymore what the extra large size is good for besides video, which I don't do on phone.

IN, i love you and all.. but i agree with both.

endangering lives is nowhere near the same thing as downloading torrents, so that's a moot point.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:32:58 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #562 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 22:42:37 »

endangering lives is nowhere near the same thing as downloading torrents, so that's a moot point.

Ok.

<sent via tapatalk at 70mph, while juggling a non-corporate coffee, changing Sirius stations and fiddling with other misc. ****>

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #563 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 00:26:28 »
Since everyone is checking in after using the phone for a while I'll chime in as well. I've had the phone since launch so it's been over 4 months or so with the 6+. I've had zero issues with the size of the phone and I came from a 4 so it's a HUGE difference. I find myself using two hands on it a lot, not always, but I really don't see that as a problem since I type much faster that way anyhow and it doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. I have yet to drop the device, not even once (it's in a very thin case and the bumper is anodized aluminum so it's basically the same smoothness and size as naked) which puts me on track with zero drops of my iPhone 4 after using it for 4 years. I have had no lag problems at all. It's just as responsive as day one. The one problem I have with this phone (and maybe it's the same for all newer than iPhone 4/bigger phones) is that it's a PIG on mobile data. It uses sooo much more than my 4 did and I don't use it any more than I did my 4 nor do I do anything differently than with my 4. I don't know the technical side of why this happens but it does. And last but not least, IT HAS NOT BENT! So **** you #bendgate scumbags! I love this thing.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Belfong

« Reply #564 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 01:28:04 »
I'm chiming in too after using 6+ for almost 2 months. Superb experience except with iMessage, which sometimes hang for like 2 sec before I can type. Other than that, it's a solid iPhone.

I have a tough armor on and fortunately have not dropped it at all. It slipped on occasion out of my pocket when I'm seating in the car, so the fall is inconsequential but hey, that's why the tough armor is there. Can't believe YM88 has no fall record for years. That's an achievement!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #565 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 04:07:22 »

Ok.

<sent via tapatalk at 70mph, while juggling a non-corporate coffee, changing Sirius stations and fiddling with other misc. ****>

Your like an inspiration! Please post the pics of any serious injuries or fatalities you cause!!! :D

#yolo #swag #*****esdontknow #youcanthandlethis #multitasking

Edit: oh and you should TOTALLY try drink driving, **** is the bomb!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 04:10:22 by baldgye »

Offline Input Nirvana

Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #566 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:38:44 »

Ok.

Your like an inspiration! Please post the pics of any serious injuries or fatalities you cause!!! :D

FYI:
I DO drink and drive. Usually a couple drinks but on the rare occasion a lot more. I don't think twice about it, but I know driving is different at those times I drink more, but since I crossfit and am on Geekhack, it's ok.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #567 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:49:07 »
'just popping in to say that I'm waiting on my iPhone 6 Plus from my carrier.  As it seems, stocks are extremely limited and that whole pre-order thing that the local carriers did a week before the November 14 launch was just a load of BS.

Anyway, I picked up a black Incipio NGP case already. :thumb:

I FINALLY GOT MY 6 PLUS!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #568 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:54:03 »

Ok.

FYI:
I DO drink and drive. Usually a couple drinks but on the rare occasion a lot more. I don't think twice about it, but I know driving is different at those times I drink more, but since I crossfit and am on Geekhack, it's ok.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #569 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:55:24 »

Ok.

FYI:

Show Image

#NuclearWarlockRulzYouGotThatRight

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #570 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:15:41 »
The one problem I have with this phone (and maybe it's the same for all newer than iPhone 4/bigger phones) is that it's a PIG on mobile data. It uses sooo much more than my 4 did and I don't use it any more than I did my 4 nor do I do anything differently than with my 4. I don't know the technical side of why this happens but it does.

Nothing different, eh?  Clackvent ring a bell?  :))

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #571 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:36:06 »

The one problem I have with this phone (and maybe it's the same for all newer than iPhone 4/bigger phones) is that it's a PIG on mobile data. It uses sooo much more than my 4 did and I don't use it any more than I did my 4 nor do I do anything differently than with my 4. I don't know the technical side of why this happens but it does.

Nothing different, eh?  Clackvent ring a bell?  :))
Isolated incident. I stand by my claim Hoof hehe

Offline Altis

« Reply #572 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:30:48 »
I find the photos that the 6 takes aren't very good. After a few trips and such, it seems that the noise-reduction is way too aggressive and used even in fairly well-lit photos (daytime outdoors). There doesn't seem to be any lens distortion correction either, which would be very welcome on it.

Other than some lag and the odd crash, it's been okay otherwise. The lag can really get to you, especially when a 4S running iOS 5 or 6 will run circles around it in general tasks and navigation.

I'm also pretty bummed that the headphone jack doesn't seem to recognize the difference between an 1/8" stereo cable and the 4-connector 1/8" connector with mic. What happens is I turn the volume all the way up for one and it leave it up when I plug in the other. My 4S never had that issue as it seemed to be able to tell which of the two was connected.

Definitely like the screen size and overall quality quite a bit. Battery life is also quite good as even with pretty heavy use I get a full day. With moderate use it can see two days.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #573 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 23:38:15 »
So I'm not the only one who thinks the camera is ****. I thought my iPhone 5s takes better photos than iPhone 6+

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #574 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 02:50:02 »
I actually think the camera is pretty great, compared with my 5 anyway.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #575 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 07:03:21 »
So I'm not the only one who thinks the camera is ****. I thought my iPhone 5s takes better photos than iPhone 6+

My 5s definitely took better pictures, or it seemed that way since the 6 is so much bigger.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #576 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:25:41 »

Only had the iPhone 4 camera previously. So it's a great improvement for me. Although I'm not a photographer and I don't know anything about how the iPhone 6 plus camera SHOULD work so I can't comment on that part. I want some sort of macro lens for it tho. Not sure if those attachments are just gimmicky or good products. Any input on that type of thing? 

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #577 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:19:39 »
anyone updated there phones today or yesterday?? Since updating mine seems to be giving off low levels of white noise... its really odd... open some apps and it goes away, open others and its back... go to the home screen and its gone, but some times it stays...

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #578 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:27:32 »

anyone updated there phones today or yesterday?? Since updating mine seems to be giving off low levels of white noise... its really odd... open some apps and it goes away, open others and its back... go to the home screen and its gone, but some times it stays...

Thx for the heads up. Haven't updated and will hold off.

It's odd, but sometimes syncing with a computer can solve weird problems. Obviously a restart can cure a lot of stuff as well, but I assume you know that.
I'm back.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #579 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:35:10 »

Thx for the heads up. Haven't updated and will hold off.

It's odd, but sometimes syncing with a computer can solve weird problems. Obviously a restart can cure a lot of stuff as well, but I assume you know that.

Yeah yeah... I looked through the patch notes of the update and non of the bugs and errors I've come across are mentioned (for example, the music app is total garbage, nearly every time I play something, back out of it (while it still plays) then pause it on the draw thing and go back into the music app to play it again it's lost track (heu) of where it was when I pause the song and just starts it over... painful in an hour+ long live set or something. On top of that I get constant audio glitches on some songs... maybe its becasue I have all my music in itunes sync'd to my phone (which is just over 85gb)?)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #580 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:25:20 »
I updated mine. No issue so far.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #581 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:27:52 »
Also started getting a black screen if i put my phone down while in the message app :/ only way to get it back on is to press the home button

Offline Belfong

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 19:11:48 »
Maybe you need to try Resetting your settings and see if that helps?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #583 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 20:33:44 »
$17k Apple watch. :))

That's basically a year's worth of rent for a watch that will be obsolete in a year or two. Man, they must think people are really stupid.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #584 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:03:48 »

That's basically a year's worth of rent for a watch that will be obsolete in a year or two. Man, they must think people are really stupid.

No offense to anyone here, but the Chinese will eat these up. New money and always looking for sth to spend it on.
I'm back.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #585 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:12:39 »

No offense to anyone here, but the Chinese will eat these up. New money and always looking for sth to spend it on.

At least they will save on shipping from the factory.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #586 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 05:36:48 »

Done that, I think it's something to do with Siri? Every time it happens the Siri sound plays..

Kinda goes without saying, like no joke the rich Chinese have zero taste. If it's expensive and gaudy, they will buy it. Can't think the number of wealthy Chinese people I've seen walking around in gold tracksuits , or random suits with massive gold and chrome trainers.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #587 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:19:25 »

Done that, I think it's something to do with Siri? Every time it happens the Siri sound plays..

Kinda goes without saying, like no joke the rich Chinese have zero taste. If it's expensive and gaudy, they will buy it. Can't think the number of wealthy Chinese people I've seen walking around in gold tracksuits , or random suits with massive gold and chrome trainers.

When I lived in China my neighbor, a single woman with no kids, bought 2 Maseratis. I asked her why 2, she said in case she doesn't like one of them. Lol.  And that's with their crazy import tax!
I'm back.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #588 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:43:09 »
is anyone else having this issue???

itunes wont sync ANYTHING to my iphone... I can't even remove my music... what the **** is going on, ive changed usb ports, restarted my iphone... what the ****

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #589 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:45:23 »
Nothing is making any sense...

all I want to do is put an album on my phone... what the **** how is this is retarded and hard?!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #590 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 16:48:15 »
iTunes says there is only purchased albums on my iphone
my iPhone says that there is everything on my phone from about a week ago and I can't change anything

Offline Belfong

« Reply #591 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:16:33 »
I suppose your iTunes is latest version? If you want to add an album, you gotta add them to iTunes first and then sync it. It's dumb.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #592 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:22:39 »
I suppose your iTunes is latest version? If you want to add an album, you gotta add them to iTunes first and then sync it. It's dumb.

It was, everything was the most recent version. I always keep on top of that because I've had problems with that in the past (long time iPod user).

I unticked the 'Sync Music Library' in the iPhone settings in iTunes but this only removed about 75ish gb of music from my iPhone, leaving about 13gb or so... 13gb that iTunes wouldn't/couldn't see that Windows didn't register but my iPhone did. This 13gb of music also (strangely) had all its album art stripped off my iPhone (though thankfully my iTunes library stayed intact).

In the end the only way I could remove 13gb of music off my phone (13gb iTunes wouldn't see) was to go into the Settings on my phone, Usage and then manually delete it there, which at first crashed the phone and then worked but took about 5mins and while it did it the whole phone was frozen...

...once I did this I could then re-tick the box to sync all my music and then it went... sending over 88gb's of music... took over 2 hours...

it just works...[/.i]

Offline Belfong

« Reply #593 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:25:25 »
I find it interesting that there are music in there that it could not remove. Likely it was synced from another machine? These days, the it just works is not so true anymore.. but is the alternative better?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #594 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:48:21 »
I find it interesting that there are music in there that it could not remove. Likely it was synced from another machine? These days, the it just works is not so true anymore.. but is the alternative better?

Yeah it was bizzare, at first I though it was the music I had bought on my iPhone (as thats what iTunes showed (though it was greyed out meaning it wasn't on my phone), but it was just seemingly a random selection of music... I think it might have been the music I had selected to be sync'd with my old iphone 5 (which due to having a much smaller hdd meant that I could only sync a few playlists)... but idk... a strange one for sure...

and yeah... there isn't an alternative :/ I loved the original Zune Software, but thats hella dead... the only alternative is Android, but iTunes store is still the easiest ways to get music and iTunes is still the best way I've found to easily organise your music... even if it has 'moments'

TTT

Offline Belfong

« Reply #595 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 08:50:30 »
The iTunes I really like was version 5 or 6. That was one great music organizer. Then it went to hell and became so bloated. But it is still the easiest to organize and find songs. And iTunes Store is a blessing, really!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #596 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 06:34:04 »
Hardware and design wise I actually do now hate the iPhone 6. It's the ugliest worst designed and worst built iPhone since the 3G and 3Gs.

I'm constantly dropping it when trying to pick it up due to the texture of the back of the phone and how slippery the edges are, it's a nightmare to pick up it really is. After watching an interview with Jonny Ives where he talks about the design of the iPhone 6 and why they jumped ship from the beautiful iPhone 5 and 4 look, he said it was to make the phone easier to pick up on a flat surface, because they apparently found in testing that a big phone like the iPhone 6 is very difficult to pick up on a flat surface. Now that sounds like a fair enough reason, the rounded edges do give you more purchase on the phone when your picking it up, that said... why did they then make it out of the slippiest metals on the market?! Like, how can they not have tested this and discovered this huge issue during development? Is it suppose to be a feature to help them sell more replacement phones??

On the build quality issues, am I the only person with stubble that when ringing someone gets said stubble caught in the space between the glass front and the metal sides/back? It's kind of insane and can be pretty painful to have facial hair unexpectantally ripped out of your face and then stuck in the side of your phone.
If you've never come across this and have a beard or stubble... just rub the side of your iPhone against your cheek or chin a little... It'll happen.

Jonny needs to go back to the Deter Ramms well and never come back to the iPhone 6's design, it's ugly and horrible to use.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #597 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 07:39:26 »
Blasphemy is all I can say, via Tapatalk.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #598 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:28:18 »

Hardware and design wise I actually do now hate the iPhone 6. It's the ugliest worst designed and worst built iPhone since the 3G and 3Gs.

I'm constantly dropping it when trying to pick it up due to the texture of the back of the phone and how slippery the edges are, it's a nightmare to pick up it really is. After watching an interview with Jonny Ives where he talks about the design of the iPhone 6 and why they jumped ship from the beautiful iPhone 5 and 4 look, he said it was to make the phone easier to pick up on a flat surface, because they apparently found in testing that a big phone like the iPhone 6 is very difficult to pick up on a flat surface. Now that sounds like a fair enough reason, the rounded edges do give you more purchase on the phone when your picking it up, that said... why did they then make it out of the slippiest metals on the market?! Like, how can they not have tested this and discovered this huge issue during development? Is it suppose to be a feature to help them sell more replacement phones??

On the build quality issues, am I the only person with stubble that when ringing someone gets said stubble caught in the space between the glass front and the metal sides/back? It's kind of insane and can be pretty painful to have facial hair unexpectantally ripped out of your face and then stuck in the side of your phone.
If you've never come across this and have a beard or stubble... just rub the side of your iPhone against your cheek or chin a little... It'll happen.

Jonny needs to go back to the Deter Ramms well and never come back to the iPhone 6's design, it's ugly and horrible to use.

While I don't have an i6, I think all of this is really reasonable to think. I'm keeping my 5S for a while.
I'm back.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #599 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:41:31 »

While I don't have an i6, I think all of this is really reasonable to think. I'm keeping my 5S for a while.

While I think the 4 and 5 are much MUCH better designed products I still think the 6 is the better phone