Author Topic: Someone needs to make a nice USB hub  (Read 2900 times)

Offline ullr

Someone needs to make a nice USB hub
« on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 00:30:13 »
Some enthusiast needs to design a nice USB hub or at least an enclosure for an existing proven product, because right now there are basically three options

• A nice sleek aluminum USB hub that outputs to 1-2 USB-C ports because clearly if you want a nice USB hub, then it's for your new macbook
  • A big USB hub with a rounded brushed aluminum look to match your oh-so-chic 2007 Apple Wireless Keyboard
  • A big cheap rounded plastic brick with a massive logo and three different finishes on the same product from suck-your-fingerprints-off-from-across-the-room to rubberized-that-will-immediately-and-permanently-cease-to-be-clean that has enough ultra bright blue LED's to visualize data and comes with a 30' Micro USB 3.0 cord that will never be straight and a power brick with a fan. Somehow this will manage to be light enough that it will slide all over your desk.

Offline Coreda

Re: Someone needs to make a nice USB hub
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 02:25:54 »
This is one of the reasons why I like hubs built into existing hardware like monitors. Keeps the desk clean to boot.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 03:19:59 »
Anker...
Several styles but the common ones have a modest logo, a 3 foot, full size type B plug, and well priced.

Yes, it's a brick and has retina burning blue leds, but you can dull them with a sharpie.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 04:01:22 »
Anker...
This is probably your best bet.
Currently using a König myself. Just a black box with a subtle imprint.
It's out of sight anyway so I don't mind.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 06:51:14 »
Anker...

Looked at one of their sleeker models taking a look at some of these reviews doesn't fill me with confidence:

This hub disrupts WiFi connections & degrades bluetooth connections. "This AMAZON PRIME item isn't eligible for return."

This hub totally disrupts WiFi connections and degrades bluetooth connections. I purchased 2 of these for different computers (Apple Mac Minis) and both caused interference in the same way on both computers. I happen to be a Prof. of Electrical Engineering at a major university and have verified that the problem is caused entirely by the connection of these devices to any computer of this type.

Above customer received a replacement presumably since their review was more highly rated than others, although the replacement had the same issue.

I bought this for work, in two days, this f***ing thing melted. Thank god it didn't damage my work computer. There's no quality control, this hub probably wasn't grounded properly. I plugged in one peripheral.

Another highly rated reviewer that managed to receive a replacement. Thankfully it didn't suffer from the same issue.

Stay clear!!! Bricked my external hard drive and won't accept returns.

This thing stopped my external hard hard from being recognized even after I stopped using this device. So it broke my new 4TB MyBook external hard drive, won't connect to anything that requires USB 3.0 even though it states having that capability, but they even add salt to the wound by not allowing returns on this product.

So idk. I get there can be defects although some of these sound more on the extreme side. I suppose it's just luck of the draw with some of these cheap hubs.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 17:52:38 »
This hub disrupts WiFi connections & degrades bluetooth connections. "This AMAZON PRIME item isn't eligible for return."
[/quote]
I can pretty much assure you this was plugged into a 2016 or newer Macbook Pro, it was an Apple issue.

As for the rest...
Anker is almost entirely white label Chinese parts, the difference is Anker picks from the best of those and tries to instill some semblance of quality control. As such, they are still vulnerable to Chinese suppliers making unknown changes, that said, I've have very good luck with their stuff. And it's not just me, Anker is generally rated quite well, being rated as not just one of the best bang for the buck for USB hubs, but one of the best hugs in general. Their entire product lines are hat way. Even their batteries are pretty darn good.

Regarding the returns and reviews..
Amazon users are less tech savvy than even Newegg users and Newegg users are f'ing morons half the time, there is also competition and LOADS of (well documented) sabotage and fake reviews on Amazon. Seriously, don't take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, take them with the entire salt shaker because they're bad. I'm not saying those reviews are fake or wrong, things happen and you would be amazed at what people can do to products before trying to return them.

The other issue with Amazon is Amazon. You often have no idea who is actually selling the item and if what you are buying is legitimate, you are actually more likely to get a fake item on Amazon than you are on Ebay, and that is saying something. Some of this comes from the fact that Amazon doesn't verify ANYTHING and you can't rate the seller, only the product. Because of this, fake sellers will send several legitimate products, get good reviews, then swap it out, sometimes if you read the description you will find the original listing wasn't even related. So a seller can put up a slew of cheap, legit items then redo the listing to something else entirely, or just switch to fake products, time and time again. Amazon only takes action after they get a slew of complaints, and then the seller just starts it over again under a new name. There has been a ton of good sellers run off Amazon through this sort of behavior. Seriously, it's a cess pool and Amazon is not working very hard to fix it.

Oh
If it says the item is not eligible for return it's probably coming straight from China, and is probably not an authorized reseller (could be a copy, "fell off a truck" or they were rejects). Anker has their own shop on Amazon and they do allow returns and you can use Prime.

Don't forget the Amazon line of hubs, which are very similar. Amazon stuff is usually Chinese white label as well. Amazon basics are basically Amazon following Anker's business plan, find the good stuff and stick your name on it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 18:07:42 »
I always try to find items on eBay before going to Amazon, especially since I rarely bundle enough items to qualify for free shipping and do not have a prime subscription. Most often I get better or equal prices on eBay plus protections through eBay and PayPal. I typically only buy from well rated sellers in the US but I will buy from Amazon for certain things. I often have found that some eBay sellers also sell through Amazon and or also sell on an eCommerce platform. Newegg for example has a presence on eBay.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 23:14:35 »
I've been pretty happy with a Plugable 10-port 2.0 hub.  Had to stick a strip of electrical tape over the massive blue LED strip, but it performed much more reliably than a no-name 7-port cheapie.

What i'd like to see is a weighted hub.  Especially with several devices attached, almost any hub turns into a tangle of cables chucking it everywhere, but if it had a kilo of steel on the bottom, it would stay put.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 10:41:54 »
I've been pretty happy with a Plugable 10-port 2.0 hub.  Had to stick a strip of electrical tape over the massive blue LED strip, but it performed much more reliably than a no-name 7-port cheapie.

What i'd like to see is a weighted hub.  Especially with several devices attached, almost any hub turns into a tangle of cables chucking it everywhere, but if it had a kilo of steel on the bottom, it would stay put.

I recommend Plugable as well, never an issue. I had had this same issue until I used some velcro strips and cable tie mounting pads to anchor it to my desk.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ullr

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 14:17:42 »
Someone should make a nice heavy anodized aluminum case for a Plugable USB hub if those are the best.