Author Topic: Hey people  (Read 1497 times)

Offline tijizor

Hey people
« on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 13:54:30 »
Hey everyone, I'm mostly here because I want in on some of those group buys. I kinda want a SA keyset but I'm not sure which yet. Curious about the profile. I'm programmer / gamer so I like having two boards with those two things in mind.

Offline TelFiRE

Re: Hey people
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 20:59:33 »
Hey, welcome to GeekHack. I'm pretty new here as well. From what I understand about SA, is that most people just like it for its looks. As far as typing on it, a lot of people are not fans. Mainly because the angles of the keys were not designed with Cherry MX switches in mind.

Did you know about the /dev/tty set? This set is a brand new profile designed by highly respected members of the community. It is a sculpted (like SA and DSA) keycap set that is specifically designed to be great to type on for Cherry MX stems. You might want to check it out, there's only 3 days left on the drop and there likely won't be another shot at this profile for a little bit. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-matt3o-devtty-custom-keycap-set

Anyway, this is just info from what I've read, as I've never tried any profile besides OEM and Cherry myself. I am however getting in on that /dev/tty drop :D I also got in on the MaxKey SA group buy (not the SP SA that everyone wants but I just want to try the profile out). This hobby eats wallets.

Welcome and gl in your journey :)
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline tijizor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 10:54:47 »
Hey!
Thank you for your reply,
I had seen the keyset you're talking about but I wasn't too sold on the color scheme but you just might have changed my mind. It's not too expensive as well so I think I'll just jump on it. Worst case scenario, I'll try to sell it on mechmarket. Thanks for changing my mind.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 12:07:45 »
Hey!
I had seen the keyset you're talking about but I wasn't too sold on the color scheme but you just might have changed my mind. It's not too expensive as well so I think I'll just jump on it. Worst case scenario, I'll try to sell it on mechmarket. Thanks for changing my mind.

Welcome!  I'd second TelFiRE's recommendation.  Between Cherry, OEM, DCS, DSA, SA, and XDA, I really like the sculpted profiles.  Cherry will always be around, so why not try something new? 

PBT vs. ABS is a big debate among us, but it comes down to preference.  Any Topre board will be PBT.  Enjoy! 

MaNiFeX

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 13:22:53 »
Hey!

I agree with you, the colors weren't what I'd pick personally, they had to grow on me. Never been a huge fan of beige, probably because I associate it with crappy rubber dome keyboards (the nice vintage beige mechs were before my era) and 386 tower computers. But with the triumph accent, I've grown fond of them. I figure I will use them as a way of trying out the profile, and assuming the profile is successful most likely sell them at or above cost maybe a year or so down the road and pick up a future run colorway of the profile that suits my tastes more (assuming I like the feel of course).
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum