Author Topic: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards  (Read 378264 times)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1350 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 01:35:00 »
Are there someone that wants a split spacebar option on the kishsaver? cause I really want a split spacebar  :thumb:

If there's enough interest on a split spacebar can we make it happen on the regular round ellipse?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1351 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 03:45:09 »
I can get a brand new compact BS keyboard that uses the better Model F design along with improved hardware, all for a better price too. :thumb:

Too right, I wouldn't touch an SSK anymore when Ellipse presented his design.  In fact he righteously saved hundreds of people from tossing their money away on old, defective hardware for a brand new Model-F switched keyboard, which is far superior to all the SSKs that were previously sold on Ebay.

Time to get smart and join the Geekhack train to a new destination known as Capacity City, home town of the Greatest Keyboard Switch that was ever made  8) .

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1352 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 03:58:37 »
I can get a brand new compact BS keyboard that uses the better Model F design along with improved hardware, all for a better price too. :thumb:

Too right, I wouldn't touch an SSK anymore when Ellipse presented his design.  In fact he righteously saved hundreds of people from tossing their money away on old, defective hardware for a brand new Model-F switched keyboard, which is far superior to all the SSKs that were previously sold on Ebay.

Time to get smart and join the Geekhack train to a new destination known as Capacity City, home town of the Greatest Keyboard Switch that was ever made  8) .
Ugh I want to join this GB but there is no option for split spacebar :'(

ellipse if there is enough interest can you pls make a split spacebard

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1353 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 09:21:01 »

The end of my cherry blue misery as we know it.  Shut up and take our money!

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #1354 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:15:13 »

I don't think this is doable without making a different PCB and plate o.o
and I think that would cost a lot more than it would be worth doing

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1355 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:33:58 »

I don't think this is doable without making a different PCB and plate o.o
and I think that would cost a lot more than it would be worth doing

Besides, no caps in that size are being made.  It would require a new PCB, top plate, and caps that aren't being made, along with the eternal debate on what to use for a bottom row layout.  All of which would get expensive very quickly.  Even if there could be a collaboration on bottom row layout, the only size that Unicomp makes keys for with he convex surface instead of concave, are the two size space bars they already make. 

With this, I very much doubt that Unicomp would make molds for these sizes of caps.  Now it wouldn't be difficult to find a plastic injection molding company to do this, but molds would likely cost multiple thousand dollars, just to get the molds made, let alone make caps with them.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1356 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 18:01:56 »
Ugh I'm sad that I need to pass this GB

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1357 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 23:03:16 »

Why? It's not ending until the end of June!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1358 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 23:40:04 »

Why? It's not ending until the end of June!
I'm done with standard layout yo

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1359 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:11:26 »
To each their own, for sure, but I really really don't understand passing up this historic GB over a spacebar.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1360 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 10:14:16 »
To each their own, for sure, but I really really don't understand passing up this historic GB over a spacebar.

Same. I mean, you can always get another non-standard keyboard.
This keyboard is one of the most iconic.  :-\

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1361 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 19:18:52 »
Small case update:  The factory has at last gotten back to me and the quote is acceptable for this project given the low volume.  The small case will be put up on the web site by month end for the second round.  The case will be the same price as the spare case, and the cost of the spare case will likely include the smaller bottom inner assembly plate required (the remaining parts are interchangeable).

You can also buy a fully assembled keyboard with just the small case for the same price, but I recommend getting the original style case as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 19:21:08 by Ellipse »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #1362 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 19:28:45 »

You could do what I'm doing, and buy just the keyswitch parts ... if you're not looking for a split-keyboard thing you won't have to worry about efficiently passing keystrokes across a variable gap, so you can just buy a XwhatsiT controller and make sure you can fit your layout will fit in that row/column limitation and do the mental math for configuring.

PCBs for these things don't have any vias or solder holes, so that should be moderately inexpensive for just one as such things go. Big Blue Saw for the plates and then all that's left is the 3-d printing for the weird size/shape of your split spacebar.

Doable, in other words. Not a bad summer project actually.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1363 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 05:57:35 »
How are the standard f62's and f77's going? Still on schedule?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1364 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:29:48 »
I expect them to ship from the factory towards the end of the April/May timeframe, but things are going slower than expected doing the final pre-production discussions with the factory. 

I was hoping to start testing and shipping them out individually in May as well, but that is now looking to be late May or June. 

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1365 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 23:59:12 »
I expect them to ship from the factory towards the end of the April/May timeframe, but things are going slower than expected doing the final pre-production discussions with the factory. 

I was hoping to start testing and shipping them out individually in May as well, but that is now looking to be late May or June. 

I guess it'll be a birthday present to myself then :)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #1366 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 03:53:07 »

Haha me too :)

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1367 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 03:55:10 »

Haha hi5! Sure beats socks and ties

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1368 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 19:44:40 »
I need to gather funds for this baby.  SO beautiful.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #1369 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 03:45:36 »

Haha hi5! Sure beats socks and ties

It definitely does, gonna be one of the better presents to myself :)

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #1370 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:10:21 »
The small case development is great.  I'll need to remember to save for this and hop on in a few months.

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #1371 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 23:17:42 »
Are there someone that wants a split spacebar option on the kishsaver? cause I really want a split spacebar  :thumb:

If there's enough interest on a split spacebar can we make it happen on the regular round ellipse?

Could probably hack something up by putting a pair of cherry switches in the spacebar area.  I thought about this a bit because I want a split kishsaver. I decided that getting the parts and trying to make two cut it half  keyboards was too much trouble.  Just the split is a comparatively modest modification.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1372 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 00:09:25 »
Everyone should check your messages on GH just in case OP needed to touch base on a custom option you added to your order.  I don't always check my messages, but saw he was organizing the run for the custom color cases.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #1373 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 00:29:17 »
I don't know about you guys but when I get a PM, I get an automated email from the server alerting me of it.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1374 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 13:40:41 »
For those interested in the Ultra compact F62/F77 cases, what kind of case colors should be offered?  I expect them to be anodized or done with another process, but not powdercoated/painted like the original style cases.

Offline joey

« Reply #1375 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 13:45:46 »
What's the status of the new one piece keycaps?

Offline 3K

« Reply #1376 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 14:19:08 »
For those interested in the Ultra compact F62/F77 cases, what kind of case colors should be offered?  I expect them to be anodized or done with another process, but not powdercoated/painted like the original style cases.

What is the difference between the usual and compact case? Could you post a picture or comparison? Not that I'm too lazy to search, I'm just too stupid too find...  :-X

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline againer

« Reply #1377 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 16:45:20 »
I would like to have a black compact case. brushed aluminum could look great too. But i wont have money to buy a second one  :(

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1378 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 16:50:04 »

Purple would be sweet

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #1379 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:37:02 »

Red of course :p

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1380 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 18:51:27 »

Black is a must. I'm getting Industrial Grey for my regular case but I'm also planning on getting a black ultra-compact case for a modern looking buckling spring board.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1381 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:24:58 »

If it's anodized then RED, PURPLE and GREEN in that order  :thumb: .

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1382 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 12:57:13 »
Small case. Industrial gray option please.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #1383 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 08:11:14 »
Any photo of the new keycap?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1384 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 12:26:06 »
What's the latest?
Been quiet in here!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1385 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:36:46 »
Sorry no photos yet of the keys.  Things are going slower than expected but I am still aiming for the end of May for the keyboards to ship from China. 

Regarding the prototyping of the smaller xwhatsit controller being used for this project, the main designer of this updated controller would like some help.  Please PM me or post here if you can help with soldering SMT components for a prototype controller that he designed.

This controller is expected to be an open source, more compact version of the xwhatsit Model F controller that is half the width and uses more standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable.

Offline lootbag

« Reply #1386 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 00:45:11 »
Quick question.

If I have never used capacitative buckling springs before, would the IBM Model F AT be a good choice to get a feel for the switch?

I've only had the pleasure of owning a single Model M in my life.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1387 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 08:28:25 »
The AT would be okay to get a feel for it, but only the alphas. You have to ignore the crazy heavy space bar feel in your mind. The other Model F keyboards have a nice, light space bar.

The best way I can describe the Model F compared to the Model M is that the F is lighter and crisper than the M. To me it has the perfect amount of resistance, tactile bump, auditory feedback, and key travel.

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #1388 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:05:33 »
Quick question.

If I have never used capacitative buckling springs before, would the IBM Model F AT be a good choice to get a feel for the switch?

I've only had the pleasure of owning a single Model M in my life.

I'd get a AT regardless! it's a great keyboard :] it's my daily driver at the moment
I also got it just for reminding myself what the springs felt like before I ordered a kish
now I'm just glad I have one it was a nice upgrade from my blackwidow lol

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1389 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 18:30:14 »
Sorry no photos yet of the keys.  Things are going slower than expected but I am still aiming for the end of May for the keyboards to ship from China. 

Regarding the prototyping of the smaller xwhatsit controller being used for this project, the main designer of this updated controller would like some help.  Please PM me or post here if you can help with soldering SMT components for a prototype controller that he designed.

This controller is expected to be an open source, more compact version of the xwhatsit Model F controller that is half the width and uses more standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable.

Just messaged you Ellipse - Wanted to make sure you got it as the site didn't seem to give me much reassurance that my "message was sent"..

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1390 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 21:06:04 »
Yep your message went through.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1391 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 12:46:05 »
Yep your message went through.
thx - just responded again

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1392 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 11:07:30 »
Ellipse?
You still around?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1393 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 23:09:05 »
Yep - sorry for the delay - I'm still not yet ready to take orders for the ultra compact cases - I am hoping to by month end.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1394 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 05:44:55 »
Yep - sorry for the delay - I'm still not yet ready to take orders for the ultra compact cases - I am hoping to by month end.

Most important part, is to get out all the EARLY original orders that were fully paid up.

Don't fall into the trap of providing EVERYONE with keyboards because it's ONLY the ones that have fully paid up for their original F77s and F62s get theirs first, then worry about those wanting 'special' compact keyboards.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1395 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 10:36:40 »

Most important part, is to get out all the EARLY original orders that were fully paid up.

Don't fall into the trap of providing EVERYONE with keyboards because it's ONLY the ones that have fully paid up for their original F77s and F62s get theirs first, then worry about those wanting 'special' compact keyboards.

I think he was responding that way because I ended up backing out of my original F77 early order (but NOT my $100 to help out with tooling, please note) and am now waiting to go directly to a smaller case from the get go.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1396 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:00:09 »
Yep no worries anyone - things are progressing slower than expected and I can't put enough time into the smaller cases just yet. 

Right now the priority is to ask for anyone willing to help wcass on DT with the open source redesign of xwhatsit's controller to make it more compact and move the USB port to the top edge of the PCB.  This offers two benefits - first it allows me to use standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable between the capacitive PCB and xwhatsit controller (the original used non-standard 3.96 mm pitch), and second is it allows all components to be fully interchangeable between the original and ultra-compact cases (except for the bottom inner assembly piece) (the USB cable is removable from the outside with the ultra compact case).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1397 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 21:28:20 »
Calling all PCB design experts:  I'm going to make another request to help wcass and the other DT members with their redesign of the xwhatsit controller that I'd like to use for this project.  If the prototypes can be fixed and tested by month end, the project will not be held up by these controllers, but it's possible for a delay in production if these controllers are not up and running by then.

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/a-smaller-xwhatsit-t13479.html

This is a redesign of xwhatsit's open source controller to make it more compact and move the USB port to the top edge of the PCB.  This offers two benefits - first it allows me to use standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable between the capacitive PCB and xwhatsit controller (the original used non-standard 3.96 mm pitch), and second is it allows all components to be fully interchangeable between the original and ultra-compact cases (except for the bottom inner assembly piece) (the USB cable is removable from the outside with the ultra compact case).

I also posted a group buy update in the GB thread for this project (in summary I am expecting some delays in the project timeline).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1398 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:59:27 »
Thanks all - someone has volunteered to take a look at the compact xwhatsit PCB.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1399 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:02:49 »
model F / M15 fusion replica?  That is the dream brother!