Author Topic: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards  (Read 375130 times)

Offline HighPlainsDrafter

Re: [IC] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1500 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 04:17:46 »
The Zinc option sounds worthwhile -- count me in on updating my existing ultra-compact case order to use Zinc, with many thanks.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2016, 04:19:30 by HighPlainsDrafter »

« Reply #1501 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:14:15 »
Would any of the ultra-compact case fans be interested in ordering a heavier zinc ultra-compact case of the same dimensions and design?

I am also interested in the zinc case. Would there be any cost difference? Would it really be that much more durable than the hard anodized aluminum? Are there any other practical differences between the two?

The extra weight of zinc sounds nice but durability is the factor I really value, so if there is much of a cost difference I am fine sticking with the standard case (which seems it should be quite durable already).
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:57:27 by phoenix_fire512 »
IBM Model M 1391401 (1991-09) | Unicomp New Model M (PS/2) | New Model F FSSK Ultra Compact

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1502 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 19:55:47 »
noted HighPlainsDrafter

phoenix_fire I don't think there will be a significant cost difference - I need to confirm with the factory.  I don't know what the zinc finish will be but I expect it to be durable as well (not sure which would be more durable just yet).  The main difference is in the weight.  The F62 and F77 keyboards I've been using since January as my daily drivers are solid feeling even though the prototype cases were made of aluminum instead of zinc, so either option will be very solid!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1503 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 21:06:43 »
Is there any other interest in powdercoated ultra compact cases?  The ultra compact cases will all be hard anodized, unless there is interest in powdercoating a few of these cases as well.  The powdercoating would be in black only or maybe some other standard paint colors, unless you want to pay tooling / paint costs.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #1504 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 13:23:00 »
Yes romevi.  I am hoping to extend the deadline to allow the early bird keyboards to arrive from China, be fully tested on my side, ship out to everyone for testing/usage for at least a month or two but am wondering how much time everyone thinks should be allowed.  Too little time and people miss out of the final round, but too much time and those people end up waiting a while to get their order.

I'm running into this issue with my current group buy.  I'd say 2-4 weeks of buy period is optimal.  Long enough for people not to miss (and spans a couple pay periods), but short enough for people not to forget!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1505 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 20:18:54 »
Well manifex the issue is that I am hand testing each keyboard one by one for quality control before it ships, so it is going to be a longer rollout period and everyone may not get their order in a 2-4 week time span - I want to make sure everyone gets their order and has at least 2 weeks to decide if they want to order another one or post some feedback to help those on the fence.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #1506 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 16:25:44 »
How is the keycap production going?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1507 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 16:35:43 »
The keyboards are expected to ship from China in October or November at this point due to factory production delays.

The barrels and flippers finished production a couple months ago.

The case molds finished production last month and I will be getting sample cases early this week for approval to start production.

The PCBs and ribbon cables are in production currently.

The rest of the parts (including keys) are expected to start production later this month.

The 1.75U unstepped key mold is being produced and you will be able to order this key separately later on.  To cover the extra mold costs though, this key will not be cheap.

Everyone gets a full set if they order a set of keys, not just the ones that fit on the keyboard.  So if you order an Industrial SSK 12 key set along with a full key set, the Industrial SSK keys will be installed on the keyboard but you also get the original color and legend keys as part of the set that everyone else is getting - they will be included in a plastic bag in the box.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1508 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 17:40:03 »
And we're still looking at another month or so before the ultra compact cases will arrive.

Offline HighPlainsDrafter

« Reply #1509 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 02:44:08 »
And three cheers for this incredible effort coming to fruition!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1510 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 20:01:09 »
Yes things are moving along nicely, just much slower than expected.  The factory still needs to redo some of the powdercoating case color samples for my approval.

« Reply #1511 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 08:25:12 »
phoenix_fire I don't think there will be a significant cost difference - I need to confirm with the factory.  I don't know what the zinc finish will be but I expect it to be durable as well (not sure which would be more durable just yet).  The main difference is in the weight.  The F62 and F77 keyboards I've been using since January as my daily drivers are solid feeling even though the prototype cases were made of aluminum instead of zinc, so either option will be very solid!

Ok, so put me down as interested but waiting to hear back on the price.

Also, if any manufacturing difficulties or extra costs on your end come up in trying to get the zinc ultra-compact case, don't feel obligated... I'd rather save you those troubles as I think it's clear now that the anodized aluminum case would still be plenty durable for my standards (and presumably for others too).

Excited to see the progress on this project!
IBM Model M 1391401 (1991-09) | Unicomp New Model M (PS/2) | New Model F FSSK Ultra Compact

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1512 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 20:51:03 »
ok noted phoenix_fire.

Yes the zinc option is low priority at this point.  I am focusing on getting the factory to finalize everything and get the remaining parts in production.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 20:04:48 by Ellipse »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1513 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 03:41:35 »
I will not ship out anything that is below my standards for this project.

Ellipse, this is the PRC for christ sake so please don't go thinking it will be made to some perfect specifications, like it would be done in Germany or Switzerland.

You will have to make allowances otherwise this project of yours will be one huge Mill-stone around your neck, completely paralyzing you from doing anything else.

Even Unicomp won't go overboard in making their keyboards, it's just enough so it works and nothing more.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1514 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 19:40:41 »
Anyone interested in pad printed black Model M / Model F keys from the new molds?  I am looking into pad printing some of the new black one-piece keys - if you're interested please post here or PM me.  It will be an added cost, probably $20 or more in my estimate, but the only other way to get printed black Model M /Model F keys is by buying an entire black rare Model M keyboard.  The default option is black unprinted so no one's order is being changed unless they want it changed.

Elrick the factory does very good work to my exact specifications with tolerances of about 0.2 mm or better - even high end manufactured goods are often made in China in recent years.  They did not do a good job matching the colors and powdercoating texture and are taking longer than expected, that's the down side.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1515 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 20:32:48 »
Anyone interested in pad printed black Model M / Model F keys from the new molds?  I am looking into pad printing some of the new black one-piece keys - if you're interested please post here or PM me.  It will be an added cost, probably $20 or more in my estimate, but the only other way to get printed black Model M /Model F keys is by buying an entire black rare Model M keyboard.  The default option is black unprinted so no one's order is being changed unless they want it changed.

YGPM.  I think black keys on Pantone Red will go very well together. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1516 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 16:36:22 »
Only a few people are interested in the pad printed legends so far.  I don't think there's enough interest for a production run of them.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1517 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 04:44:57 »
Only a few people are interested in the pad printed legends so far.  I don't think there's enough interest for a production run of them.

Sounds good, probably better too that we ditch the effort given pad printing.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1518 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 21:36:17 »
ok, what about laser etched keys?  Anyone interested in those?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1519 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 22:42:26 »

Once I can get the capital I would really prefer dyesub.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1520 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 19:24:54 »

For a brief second I thought you were kidding here, right  :o ?

Anyone selling Laser Etched Keys needs to be buried up to his neck in sand near any coastal beach.  Of course waiting for the incoming tide to wash away this foolishness and leaving them there to feed all the crabs and sea gulls, will help to fix their ignorance once and for all.

NO usage or selling of any Laser Etched Keys are allowed for ANY Model-F Keyboard.  It's like selling a Ferrari and putting two inch wide cheap rubber wheels on all corners of that beautiful car, don't commit a travesty such as that Ellipse.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1521 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 01:53:36 »
Are they starting to ship yet?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1522 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 15:34:25 »
They are expected to ship in December/January at this point due to continued factory delays.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1523 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 16:19:03 »
Also would anyone be interested in an industrial strength IP67 certified hard plastic carrying case for their F62/F77, with factory cut foam on the inside to fit the keyboard?

Similar to this:  http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=117&cp_id=11703&cs_id=1170305&p_id=10621&seq=1&format=2

I can offer them for $58.39 if there are 50 or more orders.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1524 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 20:35:41 »
I have interest. I intend to transport mine to and from work every day, would need a carrying box =)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1525 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 11:39:14 »
And there is also a strong but lightweight polypropylene case, which is much lighter weight than the other case but not IP67 certified. 

The lightweight cases would run $38 including custom cut foam in QTY 50 or more.  The other cases themselves weigh about 10 pounds I think.  These cases probably weigh a few pounds at most.

149075-0

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1526 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 11:49:30 »
The more inexpensive option is intriguing, but taking a page out of Elrick's playbook, I feel like I should go big or go home.

Would the IP67 certified boxes theoretically protect my F62 in the event of (tap wood it never happens) car wreck? That's kinda my biggest fear carrying my boards around with me, is losing them in that way.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1527 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 12:23:31 »
IP67 protects against dust or immersion; I don't know about crush or impact resistance of the case or foam.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1528 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 04:17:41 »
IP67 protects against dust or immersion; I don't know about crush or impact resistance of the case or foam.

If you're going for the heavy black case then it should survive the pass over a simple pedestrian vehicle.

BUT of course a 45 Tonne Caterpillar, there will be no survivors once it passes over your case that has your darling Model-F still inside.  Would be very sad seeing the owner cry after that disaster or even witness what a Model-F would look like after being abused in that way.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2016, 04:20:28 by Elrick »

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1529 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 08:20:21 »

If you're going for the heavy black case then it should survive the pass over a simple pedestrian vehicle.

BUT of course a 45 Tonne Caterpillar, there will be no survivors once it passes over your case that has your darling Model-F still inside.  Would be very sad seeing the owner cry after that disaster or even witness what a Model-F would look like after being abused in that way.

Why would you have your model F on the road so that a caterpillar is able to drive over it?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1530 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 22:34:27 »
Why would you have your model F on the road so that a caterpillar is able to drive over it?

Car accident sunshine.  You're stuck inside the wreckage but you see your loved Model-F case flung out onto the road, then a Caterpillar will appear to totally crush your world and I know when I witness something as horrific as that, I wouldn't want to live anymore.

The Mrs would be happy to inherit everything, so I suppose it's all good for someone in the end  8) .

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #1531 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 01:51:19 »

Car accident sunshine.  You're stuck inside the wreckage but you see your loved Model-F case flung out onto the road, then a Caterpillar will appear to totally crush your world and I know when I witness something as horrific as that, I wouldn't want to live anymore.

The Mrs would be happy to inherit everything, so I suppose it's all good for someone in the end  8) .

Lmao oh my..What a series of unfortunate events.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1532 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 02:03:46 »
Lmao oh my..What a series of unfortunate events.

The Sad Life of an Old Geekhacker will always end in tears and misfortune  8) .

A word to the young here, the more you love keyboards the more it shall kick you in the teeth and leave you toothless in the end.

Offline Ellipse

Re: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1533 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 21:54:38 »
Any other interest in the protective cases?  Are there any other lower cost options we should consider?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1534 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 22:59:11 »
An update on the compact cases - I am expecting them to go into production the week of 10/10 and for some prototypes to be mailed to me at the end of October/early November. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1535 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 15:41:47 »
I also found out a likely explanation for the shininess of Unicomp's black keys. They may have been made not with PBT plastic but with ABS, which tends to shine after a while, or another type of resin. PBT plastic is not a good match for pad printing according to some pad printers I've spoken with.

My unprinted black keys will be PBT so they will not have those issues. I also looked into pad printing black ABS keys from my molds but there was no interest so I am not going forward with that.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1536 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 19:21:56 »
My unprinted black keys will be PBT so they will not have those issues. I also looked into pad printing black ABS keys from my molds but there was no interest so I am not going forward with that.

Too right here, no one wants anymore ABS keys in any format.

WE ALL WANT PBT or NOTHING at ALL  8) .

Model-F and ABS - does not compute in any language whatsoever.  Leave all ABS to the poor Cherry-felchers, it's all they can afford besides owning an already substandard type of keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2016, 19:25:02 by Elrick »

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #1537 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 20:08:12 »
I also found out a likely explanation for the shininess of Unicomp's black keys. They may have been made not with PBT plastic but with ABS, which tends to shine after a while, or another type of resin. PBT plastic is not a good match for pad printing according to some pad printers I've spoken with.

Hello ellipse.  I pmd you yesterday so please answer it asap
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1538 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 19:03:05 »
Sent you PM

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1539 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 22:59:32 »
ok there will be no ABS keys - they are going to be PBT. 

I am also planning a limited edition "full Industrial SSK blue" PBT key set if anyone's interested - please let me know your interest.  Printed and unprinted sets will be available.  The factory is matching the blue color from keys I mailed them from my original Industrial SSK.  I don't expect to do any other colors given the MOQs for the different plastic colors.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1540 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 14:09:27 »
ok there will be no ABS keys - they are going to be PBT.  I am also planning a limited edition "full Industrial SSK blue" PBT key set

I am interested in blue keys but does that mean there would be no beige keys for sale?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1541 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 16:22:45 »
Nope, this is an extra option

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1542 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:23:56 »
ok there will be no ABS keys - they are going to be PBT. 

I am also planning a limited edition "full Industrial SSK blue" PBT key set if anyone's interested - please let me know your interest.  Printed and unprinted sets will be available.  The factory is matching the blue color from keys I mailed them from my original Industrial SSK.  I don't expect to do any other colors given the MOQs for the different plastic colors.

Will this just include the blue keys that originally came on the industrial SSK?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1543 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:27:29 »
The set of 12 Industrial SSK blue keys is currently available.

I am also planning on offering the full 104 key set with all keys in Industrial SSK blue.  The legends will likely be the standard legends for all the keys (or maybe standard legends and the 12 Industrial SSK keys being their custom legends on the Industrial SSK).

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1544 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 19:54:12 »
I am also planning on offering the full 104 key set with all keys in Industrial SSK blue.  The legends will likely be the standard legends for all the keys (or maybe standard legends and the 12 Industrial SSK keys being their custom legends on the Industrial SSK).

Very Interesting, looking for some full on 104 key action in SSK Blue  8) :thumb: .

Please also offer it as the old standard 101 keys, for all the older keyboards wanting an upgrade.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1545 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 21:49:52 »
Elrick the 104 key set works with 104, 103, and 101 key Model M's

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #1546 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 23:18:40 »
104 set of Industrial SSK Blue sounds good to me. In.
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1547 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 23:36:10 »
ok great!  For those interested in a set please order a printed or blank pearl/pebble set and specify "Industrial SSK Blue color" in the notes section.  http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/set-of-xt-quality-one-piece-keys/

For now I'm going to offer it at the same price as a regular set.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1548 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 22:22:24 »
Is anyone interested in powdercoated instead of anodized ultra compact cases?  This would be a small extra cost (not sure yet).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1549 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 17:00:20 »
Also I should have fully assembled working prototypes of the ultra compact case prototypes in about a month from now.