Author Topic: [IC] SA Helix Keycap Set  (Read 15681 times)

Offline Tazipocalypse

[IC] SA Helix Keycap Set
« on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:08:02 »
So uh, hi everyone! This is kind of an unexpected way to ease into the GH community, but here goes!

This entire keyset actually came about in my hype for the August MiniVan drop. I happen to be a designer by trade so I slapped together a custom 2D render I thought would be kinda fun to have of my keyboard. Helix to me was kind of based around the idea that you work in a lab that's going to produce the next equivalent of the T-Virus (or worse). Clean, minimal but with a bit of a twist - not to mention it fits right in with my desk, haha!

The funny thing was, I ended up getting into a conversation with evangs about it - even though it was just kind of a 'oh hey isn't this fun' kind of deal. He encouraged me to make this a full set and put it out there to see what everyone thought of it. 

So without further ado, here is Helix:

Currently I'd like these to be SA and Double Shot - but I'm pretty new to the community and would love to hear feedback from you guys, as you've been around longer than me and likely are wiser and have more experience. Any practical advice, tips, or things that may potentially be wrong with this - just let me know.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it and I look forward to hearing from you!
~Tazi
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:10:19 by Tazipocalypse »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: [IC] SA Helix Keycap Set
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:13:04 »
The custom font and all the symbols will probably make double shot too expensive, otherwise this set looks awesome!  This is one set I would buy even if it wasn't double shot. I love the theme :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:14:34 »
Look good! Just double check the font for the alphabet and personally too many cycles, try to simplify it.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:26:20 »
Very clean. That custom text really ties the theme together. I hope this takes off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline Tazipocalypse

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:38:21 »
Look good! Just double check the font for the alphabet and personally too many cycles, try to simplify it.

Could you clarify what you mean by too many cycles? Thanks for the feedback!

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:58:45 »
Looks like its gonna be an expensive set. Gonna start saving.

PS
Great looking set, count me in!
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline unoab

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 01:01:26 »
The custom font and all the symbols will probably make double shot too expensive, otherwise this set looks awesome!  This is one set I would buy even if it wasn't double shot. I love the theme :)

SP does have offset letters on the filco SA set (though that set does not appear to be italicized and in a different font).  So if those molds are used that would at least save on the costs there.

Offline KidEh

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 02:06:20 »
Looks good. Glad to see some 40%/olkb love.

Offline SRTroN

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 02:10:42 »
Looks great to me. Would it be uniform profile SA or not?

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 02:11:41 »

Sorry that made you confused, I should say 'cycling elements' that appearing at lots of keys.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 02:14:10 »
You have my support, also thinking about all R3 profile.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 02:34:38 »
Icons look great. I personally don't like the legends, but looks legit!
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Gajible

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 03:40:48 »
I'd definitely be in. That being said, you should throw a poll up, get some concrete numbers!

Offline kimanageer

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 04:18:42 »

Sorry that made you confused, I should say 'cycling elements' that appearing at lots of keys.
Show Image

Ya! I have the same opinion. And i prefer the normal font.
But the overall looks good :D
Duck octagon - Zeal 65g , Leopold 660m , Leopold 750r, iKBC G104

Offline Data

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 09:50:27 »
It's a nice design but have you thought about how you're going to get it made?

There are some hard limits on materials and processes, and some soft ($$$) limits on what can be done in a single group buy.  SA-profile Doubleshot ABS should be possible but you're looking at a custom legend for every key and that's going to add enormous costs to the set.  Are you prepared to foot the bill for that, or will you expect those costs to be subsidized into the set?  These are issues you want to work out during the Interest Check phase.

Good luck!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:56:59 »
Looks decent, but I think the icon mods are a bit busy. Maybe offer text mod kits?

Also, the font is nifty, and remind me of classic Apple AEKs, but you should get in touch with SP and check if they have exisitng moulds for these italicised legend, if not, that will push the cost of the group buy to astronomical levels, as literally every key with anything on it will be a custom mould (each letter and each novelty mods), not to mention the lead time involved in producing the mould and production testing (making and inspecting samples to identify issues and devise tweaks to the mould design.

If SP doesn't have moulds to these italicised legends, the buy is dead in the water as it is. I would advise getting in touch with SP's sales team and find out what legends options they can make with their existing moulds and tooling.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline liftylol

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:46:29 »
this looks incredible. would buy

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 16:54:02 »
I like all the circle icons and think they should be kept, as well as all the 1.25 icon mods. What make it look busy to me is all the extra icons to the right, such as the locks, printer, running man, building (?), and oversized math functions. I do like the syringe though.

Overall if you clean up (replace with text) some of the right side of the board it should look cleaner, while still keeping some of the more important novelties that give this set life. I'll say again that I love all the circles though.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 17:28:53 »
Quite like the alpha font... But you won't get it done double shot so not sure :confused:

Offline Tazipocalypse

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:12:12 »
lol let me just say guys - wow, oh god, slightly freaking out haha. Though I'll do my best to address everything!

Very clean. That custom text really ties the theme together. I hope this takes off.
Thank you :) Glad you like it.

I'd definitely be in. That being said, you should throw a poll up, get some concrete numbers!
Will attempt to do this once I take notes on some of the more prominent concerns mentioned in this thread. This was really just to see if anyone liked it and I'm kind of asking everyone here for help on the rest haha. Hopefully with everyone's help I can come to a set that isn't going to cost the earth and will still (hopefully) meet most people's requirements?

Icons look great. I personally don't like the legends, but looks legit!
Thanks. First try at a keyset haha. Hopefully I'll learn as I go.

Looks good. Glad to see some 40%/olkb love.
That was actually the whole point of this. I pretty much only have 40% kbs (with a dox on the way). I did the other kits up to try and offer people with other keyboards what they needed while trying to comprehensively cover as many 40% layouts as I could.

I'm actually not sure at this point, though I'm leaning towards it for ease. Recommendations?

It's a nice design but have you thought about how you're going to get it made?

There are some hard limits on materials and processes, and some soft ($$$) limits on what can be done in a single group buy.  SA-profile Doubleshot ABS should be possible but you're looking at a custom legend for every key and that's going to add enormous costs to the set.  Are you prepared to foot the bill for that, or will you expect those costs to be subsidized into the set?  These are issues you want to work out during the Interest Check phase.

Good luck!

Hoo boy. Trust me, I'm trying to figure it all out. I guess that's why I was asking you guys for help since I literally know nothing about current limitations. This was largely to see if there was even enough interest to get it off the ground. Like another user suggested, I'm going to get a poll up so I can get some concrete data on general opinions and then go from there.

I'm not sure if people would want to buy a printed set, for instance. That would lower costs but also durability and likely that would be a deal breaker for some. I also don't currently know if you can print on SA profile - so would a profile change be in order to hash out some of the issues. Literally didn't sleep last night thinking about all this stuff and it's a bit overwhelming? I'm going to try and take a lot of notes and figure out what needs to be done to get it looking feasible.

Looks decent, but I think the icon mods are a bit busy. Maybe offer text mod kits?

Also, the font is nifty, and remind me of classic Apple AEKs, but you should get in touch with SP and check if they have exisitng moulds for these italicised legend, if not, that will push the cost of the group buy to astronomical levels, as literally every key with anything on it will be a custom mould (each letter and each novelty mods), not to mention the lead time involved in producing the mould and production testing (making and inspecting samples to identify issues and devise tweaks to the mould design.

If SP doesn't have moulds to these italicised legends, the buy is dead in the water as it is. I would advise getting in touch with SP's sales team and find out what legends options they can make with their existing moulds and tooling.
I was thinking of adding a regular text mod kit to make some of the people worried about the icons happy - though personally the icons are kind of the point of this set (at least for me). I'll be throwing this option in the poll I'm making to see how many people would prefer a plain text kit. :)

As for the rest: yep. I'm in the middle of figuring out how practical all of it is and taking notes so I know what I can ask SP. I kind of felt I'd cross that bridge when I came to it, but it turns out I was already on the bridge lol

this looks incredible. would buy
Thanks so much :D

Quite like the alpha font... But you won't get it done double shot so not sure :confused:
Yeah, I've been getting that. So I'm trying to think of alternatives at this point. Suggestions?

I like all the circle icons and think they should be kept, as well as all the 1.25 icon mods. What make it look busy to me is all the extra icons to the right, such as the locks, printer, running man, building (?), and oversized math functions. I do like the syringe though.

Overall if you clean up (replace with text) some of the right side of the board it should look cleaner, while still keeping some of the more important novelties that give this set life. I'll say again that I love all the circles though.
Thinking about offering a plain text kit for the right of the board. I'm really partial to all the circles as well. :)

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 20:46:40 »
The most feasible way to get this done and keep it true to the original design would probably be dye sublimation. Maybe look into enjoyPBT? This is high quality stuff that won't fade. You'd have to alter the modifier color though since you can't dyesub a lighter color legend.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:08:51 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:26:48 by alienman82 »

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:13:27 »
Really love this design! I wish I liked SA, though. Definitely a shame for me. :(

I'll be super interested it if ever comes to any other profile!

Offline GiveCandyy

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 02:59:21 »
nothing can go wrong with black and white  :))

although, it would be nice to have optional white mods :))
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline Data

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 07:10:48 »
The most feasible way to get this done and keep it true to the original design would probably be dye sublimation. Maybe look into enjoyPBT? This is high quality stuff that won't fade. You'd have to alter the modifier color though since you can't dyesub a lighter color legend.

Dye sub is an option and that would help greatly with costs, but you mentioned having to change the black modifiers and don't forget that SA profile is completely off the table when you start talking dye sub and PBT -- SP won't do it.  So that's two pretty major sacrifices to make the switch to dye sub PBT.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 07:19:16 »
The two things that make this different is the font and the legends. Both aren't possible as it costs too much to create new molds, and dye-sub is impossible as you can't dye-sub white onto black. If you take away both of those elements, you end up with this:

Source: deskthority.net/wiki/Round_6

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 10:39:24 »
Sexy as hell, ~150 custom legends (didnt actually count them) at ~$75 each ......... ~$11,250 to get the legend molds made, and that $75 number is a low estimate.

I mean this set looks badass, but with all the custom stuff your looking at a $275 set of caps easy. Would be epic tho. Wish GMK did custom legends because this would be super sexy in cherry profile.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 10:41:07 by redbanshee »

Offline Aricil

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 11:48:41 »
I like the concept, but I'm not too big on the pure white/black aesthetic personally. Just my 2 cents. I really dig all the custom symbols though.
Professional amateur.

Offline Data

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 12:26:14 »
Sexy as hell, ~150 custom legends (didnt actually count them) at ~$75 each ......... ~$11,250 to get the legend molds made, and that $75 number is a low estimate.

I mean this set looks badass, but with all the custom stuff your looking at a $275 set of caps easy. Would be epic tho. Wish GMK did custom legends because this would be super sexy in cherry profile.

SP charges ~$45 for a new mold.  This is the 2016 price.  It's not bad, but it adds up quickly and puts significant overhead on your keyset if you're trying to build that price into a group buy.  One or two custom legends per set typically has a negligible impact on the bottom line.  Even a full kit of novelties isn't hard to pull off.  But an entire keyboard of custom doubleshot legends is the kind of thing that's only ever been done once (that we know of).

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 12:28:50 »

SP charges ~$45 for a new mold.  This is the 2016 price.  It's not bad, but it adds up quickly and puts significant overhead on your keyset if you're trying to build that price into a group buy.  One or two custom legends per set typically has a negligible impact on the bottom line.  Even a full kit of novelties isn't hard to pull off.  But an entire keyboard of custom doubleshot legends is the kind of thing that's only ever been done once (that we know of).

Dang, $45 is really good.

Offline Data

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 13:22:55 »

Dang, $45 is really good.

It is.  They must machine them in-house.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:05:45 »
Design-wise I love it. I did not like Biology much in school but Chemistry was my most favourite subject of all and this set reminds me of that time. Looking forward to future updates/revisions!

Offline SRTroN

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 13:47:02 »
You asked for opinions on SA profile. Imo sculpted feels more premium than all r3, I can't really explain why though!

Compare Pulse to Dangerzone for example. In my opinion Pulse is a more premium set.

Offline Tazipocalypse

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 18:55:23 »
Okay guys! Sorry I've been slightly MIA, real life hits you hard sometimes. I've emailed SP for quotes on this set and am currently waiting for what they're going to say. I've asked for different options to be quoted alongside double shot so I will pass along the information once it hits my inbox.

Thanks so much for the constructive feedback and input so far.

Offline poolside

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 11:44:07 »
These custom skewed alpha legends look good! Isn't the numpad also supposed to have them?

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 11:56:10 »
Looking good  :thumb:
Custom font will make it hella expensive though.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 13:19:27 »
Okay guys! Sorry I've been slightly MIA, real life hits you hard sometimes. I've emailed SP for quotes on this set and am currently waiting for what they're going to say. I've asked for different options to be quoted alongside double shot so I will pass along the information once it hits my inbox.

Thanks so much for the constructive feedback and input so far.

Wow, how did I miss this, I was out of the country at the time the IC started but still.

I love it! I'll be buying one if it comes to be, the novelties are very cool too but the main thing for me is that I've been wanting a black/white mods/alphas alternating set for ages. I needs it.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 16:01:14 »
From Singature Plastics - "Over the past several months we have been developing the capability to mold blank SA keys in PBT and produce sublimated keysets. We have restricted our efforts to SA Row 3 only mainly due to the cost and time involved in offering a full sculptured sublimated keyset"

So,
PBT - Check
Subliminated - Check
Black on White - Check

Am I missing anything gais? ^-^

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 17:26:03 »
white on black mods though

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 18:16:26 »
good design!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:21:01 »
The thing I love about this set is that it "feels" sterile.  The black mods even give me the impression of a chemistry/biology lab table.  Besides, how can you not like a set that has "Rage", "Mutate", and "Oh No" keys?  The conflict between PBT and white-on-black dye sub and ABS and custom legends has already been established, but I think that the alphas need the custom legends and the mods need  the white-on-black color way (not printed).  Losing the custom legends on the alphas takes away a big element that makes this set special.  So, what if you could do both?  SP's PBT Ice Caps sets looked pretty nice.   Maybe you could contact them and see if they are planning to make dies for fully sculpted PBT SA caps.   And the mods need white-on-black.  Why not make the mods doubleshot ABS?  Can anyone answer if the contrast between typing on PBT alphas and ABS mods would be too jarring?   A sculpted SA set of PBT/ABS caps sounds intriguing to me.

Offline Tazipocalypse

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:23:51 »
Hi guys, sorry this has been taking me so long to get around to. So I'll give you the TLDR; version of what's going on right now so everyone's clear where I'm at:

Right now this set is on hold because my daughter quite sick. She's an ex-cancer patient and is having problems with her lungs. Obviously family first because RL can be a real damn ***** sometimes, but I really hope that I can get some hi-res renders back to SP and get further quotes in the future.

I'm really thankful for all the input everyone's given me as I'm still really new to everything here. I didn't realise the set would be so expensive, but I'm happy for any advice on who I should contact or talk to if you have made your own set before or if you think I should change profiles/manufacturers to make it cheaper/easier to produce.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:30:52 »
Hi guys, sorry this has been taking me so long to get around to. So I'll give you the TLDR; version of what's going on right now so everyone's clear where I'm at:

Right now this set is on hold because my daughter quite sick. She's an ex-cancer patient and is having problems with her lungs. Obviously family first because RL can be a real damn ***** sometimes, but I really hope that I can get some hi-res renders back to SP and get further quotes in the future.

I'm incredibly sorry to hear that and I truly hope your daughter gets better. Interest will always be here, I'm sure everybody who likes the set will gladly wait. I wish you and your family all the best.

Offline silaz

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:32:57 »

I'm really thankful for all the input everyone's given me as I'm still really new to everything here. I didn't realise the set would be so expensive, but I'm happy for any advice on who I should contact or talk to if you have made your own set before or if you think I should change profiles/manufacturers to make it cheaper/easier to produce.

Awful news. Best wishes to you and your family!
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2016, 09:43:00 by silaz »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:33:11 »

Oh no! That's awful.  Give your daughter our love and as stated before, we will be here ready for the set when you can give it time again.

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:39:53 »
As everyone has said,  best wishes to you and your family. We'll all still be here when you can get back to it but family first.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 21:16:57 »
IMO, centered fonts would look better and would make this set cheaper. I'm no expert though. I would prefer a sculpted SA over anything else though.

Get well soon to your daughter.

Offline Hypocaffeinic

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 23:51:15 »

Oh gosh, all the best for your lass, I hope she's on the mend again soon. We'll be here to support you with this set whenever you're ready.  :-*

Offline bbmathlvr

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 01:01:39 »
Really love the novelties! Looking forward to revisions as I like some of the suggestions in this thread.
Probably TeX'ing right now.

Offline the.rg

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 16:37:20 »
Looks awesome, really liking the font on it, reminds me of the AEK ii. My only gripe is that I would put the two back slash keys from the 60% set into the ISO also as they are a part of ISO set too (or so I believe, my ISO Poker 3 has it next to Z but I can't recall if they're all like that).