Author Topic: [IC] GMK Plum | GB is OVER | New colour samples are in, and they are stunning.  (Read 174158 times)

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
Re: [IC] GMK Plum (Updated Renders!)
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 18:03:27 »
I support the "Win" legend too btw, I was just surprised by the request, as, in earlier GB/IC's, there was always the Win/Icon there and other people requesting alternatives, seeing the other side of the coin just surprised me

It's also interesting no one goes for the "Cmd" with the GMK's, "Code" is a nice modifier key, I actually have an IDE modifier that would love to house a "Code" key, but for OSX Cmd usage, using "Code" just seems wrong, it's either "Cmd" or Blank for me, it's an obsession (Blank preferred, as I sand the key, to make it more comfortable to press with a thumb)

On the topic of plum icon: https://www.google.com/search?q=plum+icon - It would probably deliver too many subliminal messages, especially considering Brazzers is the creator :)

Funny enough, the reason I didn't go for plum symbols originally was because it looked too much like a butt.

I still don't see a problem.  ;)

I also just wasn't quite happy with how it looked, honestly. It felt.. out of place, in this set.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 13:24:32 »
Pretty colours!
Any idea what the pricing of this set might be?
I am interested.  :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 14:17:56 »
I support the "Win" legend too btw, I was just surprised by the request, as, in earlier GB/IC's, there was always the Win/Icon there and other people requesting alternatives, seeing the other side of the coin just surprised me

It's also interesting no one goes for the "Cmd" with the GMK's, "Code" is a nice modifier key, I actually have an IDE modifier that would love to house a "Code" key, but for OSX Cmd usage, using "Code" just seems wrong, it's either "Cmd" or Blank for me, it's an obsession (Blank preferred, as I sand the key, to make it more comfortable to press with a thumb)

On the topic of plum icon: https://www.google.com/search?q=plum+icon - It would probably deliver too many subliminal messages, especially considering Brazzers is the creator :)

Funny enough, the reason I didn't go for plum symbols originally was because it looked too much like a butt.

I still don't see a problem.  ;)

I also just wasn't quite happy with how it looked, honestly. It felt.. out of place, in this set.

Shhh wrap up this GB first and afterwards you could start working on GMK..... Bum  :p
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline jessica

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 19:39:18 »
Pretty colours!

Not discussing it publically yet, because I dont know what Massdrop's cut is like, but expect similar prices to Carbon.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 20:12:01 »
Pretty colours!

Not discussing it publically yet, because I dont know what Massdrop's cut is like, but expect similar prices to Carbon.
Does that mean that you have chosen mass drop as final plantform to launch this?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 21:41:52 »
Pretty colours!

:thumb: hope we reach 1k+ like carbon

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 23:37:46 »
Pretty colours!

Ah understood. Shall keep a lookout then. :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline jessica

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 23:41:54 »
Pretty colours!

Does that mean that you have chosen mass drop as final plantform to launch this?

Based on the results of the poll
I feel safe going with Massdrop. It's what 3/4 people want.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 23:48:47 »
Pretty colours!

Based on the results of the poll
Show Image

I feel safe going with Massdrop. It's what 3/4 people want.
OK ,i catch it. thanks for clarifying that. waiting for your update.
do you have an estimated time on launchting this on mass drop? as you know, i buy too many GMK sets ,and this GMK plum is a must-buy set for me no matter the color-way or lay-out. i need some time to save money for this. thank you again

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 00:39:34 »
Pretty colours!

If you choose massdrop, your European orders will drop because of import taxes.

Can be as high as 35%

Offline jessica

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 00:44:17 »

OK ,i catch it. thanks for clarifying that. waiting for your update.
do you have an estimated time on launchting this on mass drop? as you know, i buy too many GMK sets ,and this GMK plum is a must-buy set for me no matter the color-way or lay-out. i need some time to save money for this. thank you again

Idealy? October. Realistically? Early 2017 FeelsBadMan

Offline jessica

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 00:44:53 »
Pretty colours!

Can be as high as 35%

That's just a risk I have to take.

Offline Chicken Chaser

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 04:00:17 »
Title reads updated renders. What changes were made?
Leopold TKL Blues || Leopold TKL Reds || Filco TKL Ninja Browns

Offline PrinceRobotIV

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 05:31:43 »
Pretty colours!

Can be as high as 35%

That's just a risk I have to take.

Import tax is killer but this set is good enough to justify the extra spend for me at least.
Pok3r MX Brown | Ducky Shine 4 MX Clear

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 08:58:55 »

Can be as high as 35%

What do you mean? Wouldn't you have to pay taxes regardless no matter what website you buy it through? I've bought keys on Originative before and have paid import taxes every time, they clearly state so too on their website - "If you place an order from a country outside of the United States, you may be subject to applicable customs, import duties and taxes, which are the sole responsibility of the buyer/receiver." Am I missing something?

Oh and by the way ever since Massdrop started using DHL international as their main (or exclusive, actually) shipping method to European customers things have changed a bit - I've received a decent amount of packages from MD after the switch and the orders make a stop in Germany (Frankfurt) to be redistributed to other countries from there. As a result, they get relabelled and more often than not customs fees and wait time are heavily, if not completely, staggered.

First time I noticed it I thought it was just a fluke because it was a relatively cheap set of keys, like 40€ or something, but in Portugal our VAT limitation is roughly 25€ - needless to say I was intrigued regardless, then after I received a couple more MD orders I noticed that after relabelling in Frankfurt the sender country is registered as Germany and not the US (save one singular occasion out of like 10). I'd imagine if the local post bothers to look up the DHL tracking trail things may be handled differently, plus most my orders didn't exceed 50-60~ dollars but I had my brother order a DarkVoice which is a 9 pound $250 tube amp from recently to test the theory and once it arrived he didn't have to pay a dime either. Same goes for a friend of mine who dodged $200 in customs and handling fees in Iceland after receiving his Fostex TH00X a week ago.

Anyway, I digress, point being if we have to pay import taxes no matter where the GB is held, Massdrop might be our best bet. Food for thought.

Offline runningaround1

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 10:29:26 »
Love the color!
I look really great.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 10:38:10 »
If we're being honest, look at how various ISO kits struggle to sell anyway.

GBs are succeeding with or without European users.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 10:57:06 »

Don't you think that statement is a little crass? I've been using ANSI layout keyboards for like 15 years now, every single person I know that even remotely cares for keyboards, even ones who don't really delve into the set/keycap world(s) use ANSI and I live in Europe, from all sorts of different countries too. I haven't seen an ISO layout keyboard at real tech store in years.

Just because ISO kits struggle to sell does not mean European buyers aren't buying custom sets and that their success is exactly the same without us, it's mindblowing to me that you can even think that's the case.

PS: Unless by "European users" you strictly mean ISO users, which I'm pretty sure you don't, else you would've worded it differently and it wouldn't have made any sense anyway within the context of this conversation.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 11:01:33 »

Don't you think that statement is a little crass? I've been using ANSI layout keyboards for like 15 years now, every single person I know that even remotely cares for keyboards, even ones who don't really delve into the set/keycap world(s) use ANSI and I live in Europe, from all sorts of different countries too. I haven't seen an ISO layout keyboard at real tech store in years.

Just because ISO kits struggle to sell does not mean European buyers aren't buying custom sets and that their success is exactly the same without us, it's mindblowing to me that you can even think that's the case.

PS: Unless by "European users" you strictly mean ISO users, which I'm pretty sure you don't, else you would've worded it differently and it wouldn't have made any sense anyway within the context of this conversation.

While a little crass, the point I was trying to get at was that those users who are worried about import taxes aren't going to tank a group buy.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 11:19:23 »

brutal
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 11:22:41 »
While a little crass, the point I was trying to get at was that those users who are worried about import taxes aren't going to tank a group buy.

Depends on your definition of "tank", success is relative. You can succeed with a MOQ of 150 being met just barely or with 5000 sets being sold. You cannot possibly have access to concrete statistics of how many of the 1k carbon sets sold on MD last time were bought by Europeans for example, asides the amount of ISO kits sold where do you derive your educated guess from?

I understand your point, I just don't think you're doing a good job of getting it across when you have no real basis to support your argument other than the fact some of us use ISO layouts and ISO kits don't sell as well as others some times.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 12:45:44 »
Gotten four keysets from Massdrop. All were above the limit for sales tax, but two weren't that expensive.
Only one was grabbed by customs and I had to pay.

YMMV. This was in Norway, and the lucky loser was Carbon, which was OF COURSE the one I had ordered the most extra kits for.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 13:05:35 »

Can be as high as 35%

What do you mean? Wouldn't you have to pay taxes regardless no matter what website you buy it through? I've bought keys on Originative before and have paid import taxes every time, they clearly state so too on their website - "If you place an order from a country outside of the United States, you may be subject to applicable customs, import duties and taxes, which are the sole responsibility of the buyer/receiver." Am I missing something?

Oh and by the way ever since Massdrop started using DHL international as their main (or exclusive, actually) shipping method to European customers things have changed a bit - I've received a decent amount of packages from MD after the switch and the orders make a stop in Germany (Frankfurt) to be redistributed to other countries from there. As a result, they get relabelled and more often than not customs fees and wait time are heavily, if not completely, staggered.

First time I noticed it I thought it was just a fluke because it was a relatively cheap set of keys, like 40€ or something, but in Portugal our VAT limitation is roughly 25€ - needless to say I was intrigued regardless, then after I received a couple more MD orders I noticed that after relabelling in Frankfurt the sender country is registered as Germany and not the US (save one singular occasion out of like 10). I'd imagine if the local post bothers to look up the DHL tracking trail things may be handled differently, plus most my orders didn't exceed 50-60~ dollars but I had my brother order a DarkVoice which is a 9 pound $250 tube amp from recently to test the theory and once it arrived he didn't have to pay a dime either. Same goes for a friend of mine who dodged $200 in customs and handling fees in Iceland after receiving his Fostex TH00X a week ago.

Anyway, I digress, point being if we have to pay import taxes no matter where the GB is held, Massdrop might be our best bet. Food for thought.

GH group buys don't usually pay taxes when handled by members of the forum....

Maybe we could use European proxy?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 13:11:42 »
This veered extremely off topic, but, there's also something called Shipito

You can combine packages, declare them yourself etc. - cost-wise I can't comment much, however, for me, a visit to the customs office is more costly than anything, so I love Shipito
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 13:31:07 »

Can be as high as 35%

GH group buys don't usually pay taxes when handled by members of the forum....

Maybe we could use European proxy?

A member-ran GB was never an option on the table for the groupbuy, it was either gonna be MD or Originative, and you would have to pay import taxes either way. I've learnt long ago just to suck it up and pay the HMRC their cut so I can have my stuff from overseas. If it irks you so much then I'm sorry to hear, but vendors do provide certainty and peace of mind, which is less so with a member-ran GB (I say this recognising that 99% of member-ran GBs are successful and everyone gets what they paid for, but with a vendor backing the GB, you get that last 1% peace of mind)

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 20:11:31 »
So are the Windows and menu keys going to be the new style, shown on the gmk photo, or the old style shown in the keyboard render?

Offline jessica

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 22:04:59 »
So are the Windows and menu keys going to be the new style, shown on the gmk photo, or the old style shown in the keyboard render?

The Window and Menu ones will be like in the render.

Offline nicx

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:09:43 »
I was going to go for the dolch set group buy that just ended but it didn't have support for my keyboard. So I'm definetaly going to make this my first GMK set. I hope it starts soon!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:17:19 »

Why don't you just label them img 1, 2, 3 and so on. The image from GMK is a render too, you see. It's a 2D-render, but it is a render.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:19:27 »

Why don't you just label them img 1, 2, 3 and so on. The image from GMK is a render too, you see. It's a 2D-render, but it is a render.

my life is a render

Offline jessica

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 15:51:42 »

Listen words are hard.

All GMK sets are produced exactly to their renders, that's why it's so important to get it right.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 09:16:40 »
painted my ducky shine 2's case olive green for plum :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 10:30:13 »

Show Image

Nice paint job, do you have a thread or site with some advice on painting? I am considering to paint an stainless steel plate, but I do not want to have adherence issues down the road and be in need to desoldering and all.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 11:17:04 »

Show Image

Nice paint job, do you have a thread or site with some advice on painting? I am considering to paint an stainless steel plate, but I do not want to have adherence issues down the road and be in need to desoldering and all.

Im not so sure about tips from the internet, its gonna be a trial and error thing.

I basically asked help from a close friend who does PC Modifications. :D

Somewhere in reddit maybe? i have a close friend who mods PC components and asked him to do this for me coz doing it with an airbrush gives a better finish  :thumb:

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:37:38 »

Show Image

For steel, I've had pretty good experience with a metal specific primer and then paint on top. I got both from the brand Rustoleum, they carry quite a large range of paint products. I haven't painted plates specifically, but I painted my PC case panels a few years back and never had peeling issues

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:39:05 »

Show Image

For steel, I've had pretty good experience with a metal specific primer and then paint on top. I got both from the brand Rustoleum, they carry quite a large range of paint products. I haven't painted plates specifically, but I painted my PC case panels a few years back and never had peeling issues

Good tip, thank you very much, I'll look for that brand.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 20:27:06 »

Show Image

Most metals are easy, unless they have an odd finish on them. Even then they're easy, just maybe a different step or two.

For a basic steel plate, scuff with scotch brite pads, wash with dish soap and water, let dry, spray primer, spray color. Depending on the finish you want, you can also add clear coat and/or wetsand with 1500-2000 grit to get various degrees of gloss.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 20:38:06 »
The main challenge with painting is being outside US

You can't find primers, you can't find spray paints

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 21:00:51 »

Show Image

Most metals are easy, unless they have an odd finish on them. Even then they're easy, just maybe a different step or two.

For a basic steel plate, scuff with scotch brite pads, wash with dish soap and water, let dry, spray primer, spray color. Depending on the finish you want, you can also add clear coat and/or wetsand with 1500-2000 grit to get various degrees of gloss.

Thanks.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 21:02:46 »
The main challenge with painting is being outside US

You can't find primers, you can't find spray paints

You may be surprised, a Home Depot is near by and these guys here build cars for Ford, GM, BMW; they even "PAINT" them including the full thing, powder coating, and all.  :p

Offline nicx

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 21:25:16 »
How long has other GMK set group buys on massdrop taken to ship after the buy period is over? really hoping to get this on my board when it comes ^.^

Offline jessica

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 02:20:03 »
How long has other GMK set group buys on massdrop taken to ship after the buy period is over? really hoping to get this on my board when it comes ^.^

3-4 months I think.

Offline nicx

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 10:46:11 »
Anyone have any ideas for some custom cables that would match and good with this set?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 11:04:18 »
Anyone have any ideas for some custom cables that would match and good with this set?

Probably yellow, purple, and maroon.  :))

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 11:14:58 »
which phase is this keyset on? im getting excited at the same time worried about my savings LOL

Yay massdrop!!! I hope it would be as successful as GMK carbon  :thumb:

Offline jessica

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 11:25:03 »
which phase is this keyset on? im getting excited at the same time worried about my savings LOL

Currently working on getting a timeframe from Massdrop. It's somewhere between interest check and group buy, stuck in limbo

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 11:35:12 »

Currently working on getting a timeframe from Massdrop. It's somewhere between interest check and group buy, stuck in limbo

Thanks about the quick update mate, goodluck! You have my commitment on these :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 11:36:31 »

i got a maroon cable with dark grey shrink wrap

Offline nicx

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 11:42:08 »
Have any picks of it? Wanna see how it looks with the shrink.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 12:58:25 »
Have any picks of it? Wanna see how it looks with the shrink.

http://imgur.com/eDfmwbK

i wish the shrink wrap was darker, but it'll do.