Author Topic: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 3054898 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (New spring weight & options added)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:26:33 »
Alright so lets see if you can recommend me a switch. My favorite switches are in this order Alps Orange , Buckling Springs, MX Clear, MX Blue

Judging by your preferences, I'd say you need custom springs, Aristotle clicky stems, and put those inside a Zealio housing. :thumb:

Zealiostotles. 65g Zealios + Aristotle Stems. Best clicky MX mount switch ever. More tactile, louder, and crisper than MX Blues.

Where do i get my hands on these Aristotle Stems?

They aren't too common unless you de-solder them from old keyboards. It's a long since discontinued switch from Taiwan from the 90s. I happen to stumble upon some new old stock and have them listed here: http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/taiwan-white-switch-aristotle

"Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline skaloola

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:42:50 »
Alright so lets see if you can recommend me a switch. My favorite switches are in this order Alps Orange , Buckling Springs, MX Clear, MX Blue

Judging by your preferences, I'd say you need custom springs, Aristotle clicky stems, and put those inside a Zealio housing. :thumb:

Zealiostotles. 65g Zealios + Aristotle Stems. Best clicky MX mount switch ever. More tactile, louder, and crisper than MX Blues.

They aren't too common unless you de-solder them from old keyboards. It's a long since discontinued switch from Taiwan from the 90s. I happen to stumble upon some new old stock and have them listed here: http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/taiwan-white-switch-aristotle

stupid question: swapping an aristotle stem into a zealios would retain LED support right?  (the stem doesn't block LED use or anything)

also, when you say stem, you mean the slider right?  or is a stem the slider + switch top?

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:40:10 »

wait wait wait. aristotle stems is compatible with gateron housing? :eek:

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:45:38 »
Ill try again, does >ANYONE< know for how long this will be open.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:47:41 »

stupid question: swapping an aristotle stem into a zealios would retain LED support right?  (the stem doesn't block LED use or anything)

also, when you say stem, you mean the slider right?  or is a stem the slider + switch top?

Stem is the white part (slider). The black housing from Aristotle's are pretty crop. Only the stem is worth harvesting IMO.

Only with Gateron RGB switch tops (sold on my site). Zealios use RGB tops and it's a very solid feel.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:50:49 »

It's stared on the listing. :p
Open until February 27, midnight PST.

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:52:16 »

Zeal said he has no intention of ending it earlier than the date listed on his website.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 02:27:24 »

Only with Gateron RGB switch tops (sold on my site). Zealios use RGB tops and it's a very solid feel.

ok i think now i lose my mind.. (*hearing clicky clicky clicky clicky) :'(

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 02:57:59 »
Clicking sounds...? No, can't say I hear any... I do hear some lovely TACTILE sounds...

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 03:01:34 »

It's stared on the listing. :p
Open until February 27, midnight PST.

Ty

Offline krisst

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 07:04:26 »
Would like to know if I am able to add other accessories like v3 lube into this GB and be posted together with my order. If so, how do I do that. Thanks
Add them into the cart and checkout in one go.

Thank you! Just in for 78g, v3 lube and some handful of others as tester. :D

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 08:04:33 »

Oh God! I think I have have old Unikey with Aristotle switches. Have to find it now :P

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 08:47:10 »
Thinking of making a WinKeyless B.87 with some of these.

However I have been a Topre addict for a few years (FC660C, Royal Kludge, Realforce, HHKB, all 45g) and one heard this is as close as it gets with MX.

It's been some time since I've used a Cherry board in earnest - the latest being a DAS with browns, and they almost felt too light IIRC.

Given that I'm a Topre addict what weight would you recommend?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 // Logitech M570 Trackball // Topre Realforce 23UB

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 09:05:40 »

However I have been a Topre addict for a few years (FC660C, Royal Kludge, Realforce, HHKB, all 45g) and one heard this is as close as it gets with MX.

It's been some time since I've used a Cherry board in earnest - the latest being a DAS with browns, and they almost felt too light IIRC.

65g is good choice  :thumb:

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 10:25:08 »

I need to know more about these B. 87 boards from winkeyless.kr,  I was thinking of building one,  are they any good,  don't want to derail thread,  we can pm.

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 13:34:48 »
Damn... I wanna get in on this GB but I need to find an additional plate and PCB for my TGR Jane first... Or else these will just end up sitting in the corner of my desk  :(
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 14:19:56 »

67 or 78g if you really like that crisp bump (and don't mind the slightly heavier cushion at the bottom). 65g if you want to experiment with a more drawn out tactile bump.

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:29:56 »

I need to know more about these B. 87 boards from winkeyless.kr,  I was thinking of building one,  are they any good,  don't want to derail thread,  we can pm.

From what I've read they seem to be held in high regard.

The biggest thing for me is I can emulate a HHKB layout with it. I use a HHKB at work and I sorely miss the layout whenever I jump on another board...but when I'm gaming the HHKB layout is annoying as hell.

With the b.87 I can have it regularly set up as HHKB mapping and just switch to regular TKL mapping when I'm playing games.

Anyways enough derailing...any more opinions to my original question
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:32:26 »

67 or 78g if you really like that crisp bump (and don't mind the slightly heavier cushion at the bottom). 65g if you want to experiment with a more drawn out tactile bump.
Hmm the KeyChatter review said the same thing about the 67g. Might be the switch for me.

The only thing I'm worried about is the increase of resistance towards the bottom of the stroke...but considering Topre isn't going to release a backlit, remappable board with configurable key layouts I'm coming back to the land of MX :-P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 21:21:33 »
All right, considering replacing my board's switches. I have Zealio 65g, and Tactile Gray on the Esc and space bar. Gonna replace the 65g with 67g; how similar to Tactile Gray is 78g?Lighter? Heavier?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 21:59:39 »
All right, considering replacing my board's switches. I have Zealio 65g, and Tactile Gray on the Esc and space bar. Gonna replace the 65g with 67g; how similar to Tactile Gray is 78g?Lighter? Heavier?

Still way lighter. Tactile Grays bottom out at 110g.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 22:07:18 »

Still way lighter. Tactile Grays bottom out at 110g.

Hmm... Okay. I'll stick with my Tactile Grays!

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:43:31 »
Zeal I forgot to ask before...would the 67g fit on the Winkeyless B.87?

It's got a top plate, but not sure what I'm looking for on this PCB to see if they're compatible...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 00:21:23 »
Zeal I forgot to ask before...would the 67g fit on the Winkeyless B.87?

It's got a top plate, but not sure what I'm looking for on this PCB to see if they're compatible...

Show Image

All switch variants will work with that PCB. The PCB is the deciding factor for switch type (PCB or plate), and PCB mount switches can always be modified to plate mount.

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 00:39:43 »

All switch variants will work with that PCB. The PCB is the deciding factor for switch type (PCB or plate), and PCB mount switches can always be modified to plate mount.

Zeal,

Good to hear. Looking closely at the picture would it be correct to conclude that it has these two extra holes of which you speak in the product description?

Please note that PCB mounted switches can still be used in many plate mounted keyboards. As long as your PCB underneath has 2 extra holes next to the center post, it will support PCB Mounted switches and add extra rigidity to your build.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 00:46:27 »

Zeal,

Good to hear. Looking closely at the picture would it be correct to conclude that it has these two extra holes of which you speak in the product description?

Please note that PCB mounted switches can still be used in many plate mounted keyboards. As long as your PCB underneath has 2 extra holes next to the center post, it will support PCB Mounted switches and add extra rigidity to your build.

It'll work.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 00:49:11 »

Zeal,

Nearly every custom, aftermarket PCB support PCB Mounted switches. These are the holes I'm referring to.

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 00:57:23 »

Nearly every custom, aftermarket PCB support PCB Mounted switches. These are the holes I'm referring to.

Excellent, just thought I'd double check :)

I'll be placing an order shortly!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline steve.v

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 02:33:32 »
I love my zealios 65g. However they wobble too much compared to stock cherry mx clears. I guess its a sacrifice for smoothness. My poker clears seems to be more sturdier. May pick up a few 78g to see how they feel.

Offline djeex

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 05:56:55 »
Hi Zeal, can you (or anyone) confirm if it's the R2 zealios switches in GB on massdrop?
www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-ergodox?mode=guest_open

Offline techmattr

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 09:58:18 »
I love my zealios 65g. However they wobble too much compared to stock cherry mx clears. I guess its a sacrifice for smoothness. My poker clears seems to be more sturdier. May pick up a few 78g to see how they feel.

Are you using SA or OEM profile? Tall caps seem to really exaggerate the wobble on stems. The seem more stable with DCS, DSA or Cherry profile.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 13:11:53 »
Hi Zeal, can you (or anyone) confirm if it's the R2 zealios switches in GB on massdrop?
www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-ergodox?mode=guest_open

Round 2 Zealios on MD.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 20:35:26 »
Another stupid question incoming:

Are plate or pcb mounted stabilizers preferable when using a plate + compatible pcb (has the pcb support holes)?

I read somewhere you should clip stabilizers to avoid mushiness.  I'm not sure what style stabilizers I've been purchasing in the past, just that they were Cherry style (dunno about plate vs pcb mounted).

In other words, it looks like I could use either in my builds.  Does one feel better than the other?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 00:32:06 »
Another stupid question incoming:

Are plate or pcb mounted stabilizers preferable when using a plate + compatible pcb (has the pcb support holes)?

I read somewhere you should clip stabilizers to avoid mushiness.  I'm not sure what style stabilizers I've been purchasing in the past, just that they were Cherry style (dunno about plate vs pcb mounted).

In other words, it looks like I could use either in my builds.  Does one feel better than the other?

Most custom (Korean) keyboards only accept PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers. The only keyboard kit I can think of off the top of the top of my head that uses Plate mounted Cherry stabilizers is the Phantom.

Yes, most people recommend clipping Cherry stabilizers to get rid of the "mushiness". This can be done on plate and PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers. PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers are generally preferred over plate mounted as it doesn't have side corner walls that can sometimes interfere with certain keycap profiles.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:22:02 »
Still deciding between 65g and 67g. 
I know or might think this has been asked numerous times, what would be the nice/ideal choice for someone who used 62g gateron blacks but likes something heavier but similar to 62g mx clears?
Is 65g a nice balance between both?
I know one is linear and tactile but I'd like to go back to tactile for my next board :)
Also do we pay immediately once we've placed an order on your website?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline queefmonchan

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:46:45 »
I know or might think this has been asked numerous times, what would be the nice/ideal choice for someone who used 62g gateron blacks but likes something heavier but similar to 62g mx clears?
I know one is linear and tactile but I'd like to go back to tactile for my next board :)

I like Gateron Blacks a lot and have found that 67g zealios are my favorite. They have a nice snappy return.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:47:17 »

Traditional 62g MX Clears after lubing generally feel like 67g Zealios. The bump is shorter and it drops off past the tactile portion. 65g however is what I feel like should've been the proper "62g ergo clears", with a long drawn out tactile bump. Depending on your preference, it'll either be 65 or 67g. It's really hard to recommend without feeling them firsthand. 67g is a tad bit snappier on the upstroke and "crisp" due to the heavier spring.

Payment is captured immediately after placing the order.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:49:46 »

I like Gateron Blacks a lot and have found that 67g zealios are my favorite. They have a nice snappy return.

I see, thanks for your input! :)
I'm just afraid that 67g would be more fatiguing than 62g MX Clears. Was leaning towards 65g but if 65g is similar to MX Clears then I'll probably try something else.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:58:54 »

Traditional 62g MX Clears after lubing generally feel like 67g Zealios. The bump is shorter and it drops off past the tactile portion. 65g however is what I feel like should've been the proper "62g ergo clears", with a long drawn out tactile bump. Depending on your preference, it'll either be 65 or 67g. It's really hard to recommend without feeling them firsthand. 67g is a tad bit snappier on the upstroke and "crisp" due to the heavier spring.

Damn that "snappier" and "crisp" statement makes me want to get in on the 67g but it's not that fatiguing if I may ask?
Ah okay, I'll put in an order close to the dateline I think.  :)
Thanks!

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 00:54:25 »

Damn that "snappier" and "crisp" statement makes me want to get in on the 67g but it's not that fatiguing if I may ask?
Ah okay, I'll put in an order close to the dateline I think.  :)
Thanks!
Same here. Next paycheck is in my lap 25th. Ready to be spent on 26th on some 78g. So I really hope this GB does not close earlier (for whatever reason).

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 06:47:32 »

Most people get paid at the end of the month; what are the chances that it closes early?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:52:23 »

Most people get paid at the end of the month; what are the chances that it closes early?

I thought most people got paid bi-weekly?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:56:13 »

In Sweden it is always at the end of the month.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:58:17 »

Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 10:57:16 »

Show Image

Hehe. I lived in Australia for a couple of years. There I was paid every week. Must admit I prefer a paycheck every week instead of at the end of the month. It is so easy to just spend it all at once and have nothing left rest of the month. I guess discipline is the keyword. Especially when you have two children. Darn they are expensive! :-)

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 11:02:48 »

Show Image

Hehe. I lived in Australia for a couple of years. There I was paid every week. Must admit I prefer a paycheck every week instead of at the end of the month. It is so easy to just spend it all at once and have nothing left rest of the month. I guess discipline is the keyword. Especially when you have two children. Darn they are expensive! :-)

Yeah I get every week and its great. As you said its easier to budget, I know that one paycheck is essentially rent+car insurance, and I have recurring savings deposits each week. Everything else is basically my cash flow.

Back on topic though, I'm very close to putting in my order. Debating between ordering zealios for my numpad or a future 60%... but definitely getting the 78g for my custom nantucket selectric build.

Offline GeeNDL82

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 11:57:31 »
Hi Zeal,

I checked in most comment. But i didn't see any comment about gold spring. So, the Zealio Sw include:
1. Sw (sure)
2. Gold spring (5 variants) ???????????????????
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club: http://vietnammechkey.com/

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 12:15:04 »
Hi Zeal,

I checked in most comment. But i didn't see any comment about gold spring. So, the Zealio Sw include:
1. Sw (sure)
2. Gold spring (5 variants) ???????????????????

The gold springs are installed inside the switch from the factory. You can choose from either 62g/65g/67g or 78g weighted Zealios.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 12:28:07 »
On the 65g version, is there any difference between the milky bottom and clear in terms of feel?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:32:21 »

UK is mostly last Friday of each month.