Author Topic: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 3054898 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (New spring weight & options added)
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:51:59 »
On the 65g version, is there any difference between the milky bottom and clear in terms of feel?

Unlikely you'd be able to feel any significant difference. The milky housing is more geared towards manufacturers and the like.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline fostermatt

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 02:10:43 »
I still cant't really decide on whether to get the milky bottom housing 65g or the standard 62g one. I know 62g ones will feel more or less like MX browns in terms of weight to bottom out but how do the 65g ones feel in comparison? And I'm also afraid of just being amateur in soldering and ruining the 62g switches, which are less resistant to heat than the 65g milky bottom ones.

Don't worry about being a soldering noob. I had never touched a soldering iron until I put my R1 Zealios (65s) into an old pok3r I had. Easy as pie and it works great.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 04:59:25 »
Just placed an order for 120 - 78g Zealio's   :thumb: .

Thought I would miss out on these babies but alas it looks like I've dived into this easily. 

Completely forgot about these switches until I realized something, when I viewed a purple docket sheet at work and knew that colour was linked to something important.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 06:28:54 »

Thought I would miss out on these babies but alas it looks like I've dived into this easily. 

Completely forgot about these switches until I realized something, when I viewed a purple docket sheet at work and knew that colour was linked to something important.

I'll be placing an order this weekend.  I like vintage MX Black,  and Gateron black...  78g sounds like my switch...

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:23:37 »

I'll be placing an order this weekend.  I like vintage MX Black,  and Gateron black...  78g sounds like my switch...

I ordered myself 120 of the 78g switches as well a week or two ago, even though I'm not even sure at this point where they are going.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:33:29 »
So are 78g switches still lighter than Vintage Blacks? The only MX boards I have are with Vintage Blacks and 65g Zealios. I was going to get 67g this time as 65g is a wee bit light for me, but now I'm not sure if 67g will make much difference.

Edit:
Just read Zeal's weight charts on Reddit. Looks like 78g is heavier than Blacks, so I'll still to ordering 67g.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:43:42 by romevi »

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:44:14 »

I ordered myself 120 of the 78g switches as well a week or two ago, even though I'm not even sure at this point where they are going.

Yea, I currently have 90 loose vintage MX Blacks,  90 Gateron black,  and will be ordering a bunch of these...  Hmmmm,  maybe these can go on my Octogon.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:40:11 »
So are 78g switches still lighter than Vintage Blacks? The only MX boards I have are with Vintage Blacks and 65g Zealios. I was going to get 67g this time as 65g is a wee bit light for me, but now I'm not sure if 67g will make much difference.

Edit:
Just read Zeal's weight charts on Reddit. Looks like 78g is heavier than Blacks, so I'll still to ordering 67g.  :thumb:

hmm? MX Blacks bottom out at ~80g. 78g Zealios are along the vintage black range. :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:44:38 »

Edit:

hmm? MX Blacks bottom out at ~80g. 78g Zealios are along the vintage black range. :)

Oh... Didn't know they were that close. All right, I may consider 78g instead! You posted somewhere in Reddit during round 1 that MX Blacks have a heavier bottom-out than 67g, but I didn't bother to check the actual weight.

Thanks, Zeal!

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:55:08 »

Edit:

This is really interesting. Is someone able to post the list of the different MX,  Gateron bottom out weights?  Would be super awesome...  If this can be found somewhere,  link it and I can post...  I'll search ad well...

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:05:13 »
Are these weights correct?

MX Clear: 100g
MX Green: 65g
MX Black: 80g
MX Red: 60g
MX Brown: 60g
MX Blue: 60g

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:09:33 »
Cherry MX Force Graphs are all over the place, if you type in something like "cherry mx red force graph" into google, the images will pop right up.

WASDKeyboards has quite a few on their page as well - http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Gateron is a nightmare to find information on, but you can check out the last two links here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79272.msg2037461#msg2037461
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:13:40 »
Yeah, I gave up looking as most have actuation forces. Since I tend to bottom out most of time, I feel more of the weight so looking for bottom-out measurements was a pain.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:17:13 »

Essence of being a Geekhacker, you always buy the switches first then decide where they'll be going.

At the very least, you could de-solder a Filco and remove the softer switches and replace them with the 78g Zealios.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:36:49 »

MX Clear: 100cN
MX Green: 65cN 90cN
MX Black: 80cN
MX Red: 60cN
MX Brown: 60cN
MX Blue: 60cN 62-65cN, hard to tell with the graph since it doesn't bottom out at 4mm.

The above forces are "bottom out" weights. 1cN= 1.019716213g

Not really... Corrected weight in red.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:42:27 by Zeal »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:39:42 »

MX Green: 65g 90g

The above forces are "bottom out" weights.

Hmm... Okay, this is pretty helpful, as well as your PM, Zeal.

78g it is!

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:03:57 »

MX Green: 65g 90g

The above forces are "bottom out" weights.

Hmm... Okay, this is pretty helpful, as well as your PM, Zeal.

78g it is!

Agreed,   I too am in for some me 78g,  I might also get some 67g...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:55:25 »

MX Blue: 60cN 62-65cN, hard to tell with the graph since it doesn't bottom out at 4mm.

It's weird seeing Clears at 100cN yet the Greens are far more brutal when you need to press them repeatedly.

Love the Clears compared to most Cherry keys BUT the Greens are still for the key-bashers, that need some way of offloading their tension onto something inanimate  8) .

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 22:39:31 »

It's weird seeing Clears at 100cN yet the Greens are far more brutal when you need to press them repeatedly.

Love the Clears compared to most Cherry keys BUT the Greens are still for the key-bashers, that need some way of offloading their tension onto something inanimate  8) .

I love my Clears at home but I love my Greens at work too.  The Greens at work just feel so satisfying when hammering away on the numpad all day.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 22:41:06 »
Finally purchased my switches!

230 in total, 210 78g and 20 67g to add to my 90 67g switches.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 04:34:01 »
I love my Clears at home but I love my Greens at work too.  The Greens at work just feel so satisfying when hammering away on the numpad all day.

You're lucky to be able to use your Greens at work if I did that the shear amount of black grease and oil that will be covering it would be insane.

We currently only use the cheapo membrane Dell and HP keyboards because they're disposable after a year's worth of work.  In fact some of the keyboards stop working altogether since even they can't stand our working conditions, in the heat of summer.

Also we have rodents eating cabling from the keyboards and PC's within the workshop, so we have to contend with that as well.  Keyboards don't last long where I work, hence the only time to enjoy typing is getting home to experience some delight when using the Thorpie's and Cherry's.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:42:41 »

You're lucky to be able to use your Greens at work if I did that the shear amount of black grease and oil that will be covering it would be insane.

We currently only use the cheapo membrane Dell and HP keyboards because they're disposable after a year's worth of work.  In fact some of the keyboards stop working altogether since even they can't stand our working conditions, in the heat of summer.

Also we have rodents eating cabling from the keyboards and PC's within the workshop, so we have to contend with that as well.  Keyboards don't last long where I work, hence the only time to enjoy typing is getting home to experience some delight when using the Thorpie's and Cherry's.
I have this well-used MY 1800 from some workshop if you want... :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:45:26 »

I think you could apply for asylum here in Norway if you're working under those conditions... Of course, it would help if you were an 8 year old girl, but either way...

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:54:40 »
78g ordered for my Octogon!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:00:58 »

What kind of place do you work at?  Sounds like you work as a mechanic of some type so I can understand not bringing in nice keyboards, but if you ever decided to at least the sound of the Greens probably wouldn't be an issue ;)

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:15:46 »
Tempted to buy some 78g's. Do I need stabilizers from your website too Zeal? Planning on doing this on a B.mini board. Also for LED's, I can buy those and add them in at a later date right?
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:26:16 »
Put in my order for 155 78g. :thumb:
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:46:20 »
Tempted to buy some 78g's. Do I need stabilizers from your website too Zeal? Planning on doing this on a B.mini board. Also for LED's, I can buy those and add them in at a later date right?

You'll need PCB mounted stabilizers with your b.mini build.

Any other accessories (LEDs, lube, stabs, etc) you add to your order will be shipped with your GB order.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:13:27 »

Why so many may I ask?

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:08:30 »

Any other accessories (LEDs, lube, stabs, etc) you add to your order will be shipped with your GB order.

Will the ones in your shop (cherry MX stabilizers) work?

Offline Zapheo

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:10:35 »

Why so many may I ask?

55 for my golbat and 100 for the possibility of being able to join the VE.A GB.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:16:09 »

Why so many may I ask?

Ah nice, I think a few people will be doing the same.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:18:30 »

Yep, you'll want to pick up the PCB mount variant of the Cherry MX Stabilizers.

Offline Zapheo

« Reply #233 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:24:10 »

Why so many may I ask?

Ah nice, I think a few people will be doing the same.

Yeah, and my reasoning is that even if I don't get in on VE.A I'll still have 100 78g zealios lying around for any future builds. :D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 18:53:55 »
I think you could apply for asylum here in Norway if you're working under those conditions... Of course, it would help if you were an 8 year old girl, but either way...

Actually I like the Heat, unfortunately not being an 8 year old girl doesn't look good in anyone's eyes.  Besides would you really want to see me in a small school-girl uniform without reaching for your sick bag?

What kind of place do you work at?  Sounds like you work as a mechanic of some type so I can understand not bringing in nice keyboards, but if you ever decided to at least the sound of the Greens probably wouldn't be an issue ;)

Was a mechanic until upgraded into management some time ago.  Now I run the workshop here on site, which belongs to one of the third largest Mining Conglomeration's in Australia.

A nice Cherry Keyboard wouldn't survive because too many spaces for grime, oil and dirt to sink into plus it would ultimately kill it.  We just use what's supplied from the IT department every year which doesn't  change much from the standard Dell, HP of even IBM when supplied.  Although the IBM stuff last's a little longer despite being membrane technology.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 00:35:19 »

Yep, you'll want to pick up the PCB mount variant of the Cherry MX Stabilizers.

Sounds great. Order placed woo. Time to count the days.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:56:45 »
Will you sell a singular 78g? If not a "tester kit"?

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 09:42:38 »
Just wanted to let you know, that im going to order last minute.
Why?
I don't know ... why not?
 :))

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 09:44:18 »
why not?

Because he could end the deadline early.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:10:11 »
why not?

Ugh, just bit the bullet cause of your comment. 90 78gs and 30 67gs...

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 11:06:52 »
why not?

Well played romevi, well played.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:46:56 »
why not?

Oooo, interesting combo. How will these be used?

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 16:47:32 »
why not?

Oooo, interesting combo. How will these be used?
The 67g are for a numpad, 78g for a custom build. Sorry for getting your hopes up for some bizarro 67g mods build.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #243 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 08:49:38 »
So I just saw the below weights for gateron, not sure what these mean but they can't be the bottoming out weights can they? Black Gaterons are kind of like MX blacks, just smoother. Does anyone know the bottom out weight for these to compare to zealios?

Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Browns - 45g Tactile
Clears - 35g Linear (are these really this light?)
Greens - 80g Clicky
Reds - 45g Linear
Yellows - 50g Linear (what do these compare to? Are these the same as the blacks?)

Thanks

Edit: The Yellow and the Clears are the only ones really not comparable to MX.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 08:52:46 by 64rky »

Offline priyadi

« Reply #244 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:06:43 »
lets say I soldered 78g zealios, then I decide 78gs are too heavy for me. can I just pop out the switch top and replace the top and spring using the top and spring from 65g zealios? would it feel the same as the whole 65g? or is it necessary to desolder the whole thing and resolder again using 65gs?

FYI I tried replacing the top and spring from cherry browns using 65g zealios, and they don't feel like the real zealios at all.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:08:28 »
So I just saw the below weights for gateron, not sure what these mean but they can't be the bottoming out weights can they? Black Gaterons are kind of like MX blacks, just smoother. Does anyone know the bottom out weight for these to compare to zealios?

Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Browns - 45g Tactile
Greens - 80g Clicky
Reds - 45g Linear
Yellows - 50g Linear (what do these compare to? Are these the same as the blacks?)

Thanks

I take it you saw this on the Massdrop listing? I think they use actuation force. Yellows are similar to Blacks, yet to me they feel slightly different. I prefer Yellow.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:12:35 »
lets say I soldered 78g zealios, then I decide 78gs are too heavy for me. can I just pop out the switch top and replace the top and spring using the top and spring from 65g zealios? would it feel the same as the whole 65g? or is it necessary to desolder the whole thing and resolder again using 65gs?

Depends on how you're using them. If you have them in a plate, the plate has to be cut to allow for switch top opening. You'll see this most commonly on plates that allow for MX or Matias/Alps switches (Universal plates). Typically customs designed in the US allow for switch top opening. Customs from Korea typically don't.

If you're mounting directly to PCB without a plate then you'll be able to open no problem.

Keep in mind also, if you put LEDs on your switches they will have to be desoldered before you can open the switch unless you put SIP sockets in the bottom housing or mounted the LED in the bottom housing (which is doable on Gateron due to the clear top).

Hope this helps!

Offline priyadi

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 11:02:06 »
I regularly swap cherry blue to brown, and brown to blue, depending on occasions. It's just when I tried to swap cherry brown to zealio 65g, then the switches don't feel like the real zealios at all.

Now, if I were to replace zealio 78g with 65g, will the switches feel like the whole 65g or not?

Depends on how you're using them. If you have them in a plate, the plate has to be cut to allow for switch top opening. You'll see this most commonly on plates that allow for MX or Matias/Alps switches (Universal plates). Typically customs designed in the US allow for switch top opening. Customs from Korea typically don't.

If you're mounting directly to PCB without a plate then you'll be able to open no problem.

Keep in mind also, if you put LEDs on your switches they will have to be desoldered before you can open the switch unless you put SIP sockets in the bottom housing or mounted the LED in the bottom housing (which is doable on Gateron due to the clear top).

Hope this helps!

Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 15:05:42 »
Just out of curiosity have you ever tried putting the purple stem in the Gateron Red switches? Also do you sell just the stems?

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 15:31:29 »

Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Browns - 45g Tactile
Greens - 80g Clicky
Reds - 45g Linear

Thanks

Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Browns - 45g Tactile
Greens - 80g Clicky
Reds - 45g Linear

Thanks

I take it you saw this on the Massdrop listing? I think they use actuation force. Yellows are similar to Blacks, yet to me they feel slightly different. I prefer Yellow.

Correct, those are the actuation forces, not bottom out resistance.. and yes, the Gateron Clears really are that light.

Gateron Yellow has the same actuation as Gateron Black, but a lighter bottom out resistance.

Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL