Author Topic: Hunt and Peck is like Looking at the Speedometer on the Highway  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Lanx

Hunt and Peck is like Looking at the Speedometer on the Highway
« on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:30:04 »
So when i see someone hunt and peck, i just think they're inept and are just so scared of typing wrong, they'll never correct themselves.

This is just like driving on the highway, now i'm not a speed demon, in fact i rarely goto 80 (in my honda civic i don't go above 72, cuz that's when it all shakes!), But i don't ever really look at the speedometer, cuz i'm driving relative to the cars in front of me.

if you're driving at a constant 65 (without cruise control) then you're always looking down, looking up, looking down...

and, i'm pretty sure by now anyone who has driving for over a few months can "feel" how fast they're driving, just like how touch typists, just know where the keys are.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Hunt and Peck is like Looking at the Speedometer on the Highway
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 04:36:15 »
Hunt'n'pecking is like looking at your gear stick while changing gears. Wait, do Americans know what is gear stick nowadays?

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 05:03:49 »
Hunt'n'pecking is like looking at your gear stick while changing gears. Wait, do Americans know what is gear stick nowadays?
Probably as many that know the difference between football and football.
Besides, How is one supposed to read, eat, drink, text, smoke, do makeup, etc. while shifting?
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline iAPX432

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 02:00:35 »
So?

I type with two fingers and most of the time I do not look at the keyboard. Don't judge people based on things like that and generalise.
And besides, while there is a risk of losing your life at high speed if you are not paying attention to the road, typing does not incur as great a risk, I'm sure.

Also my maximum typing speed is about 57 wpm
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2014, 02:07:23 by iAPX432 »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 02:08:33 »
So?

I type with two fingers and most of the time I do not look at the keyboard. Don't judge people based on things like that and generalise.

This I've gotta see

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 02:11:23 »
"feeling" how fast you drive is unreliable and just picking up a bad habit. It makes for stories like 'I borrowed this car from a friend and whoops! I was doing 100mph/160kph'.

Now if only this worked in the same way on keyboards. :P

It's the same thing with constantly looking at your mirrors. The one place where I had more heart attacks and sudden stops was the North East of the United States... on an empty road. So many idiots that drove at an unreliable speeds or just drove onto the road without watching. Taiwan was bloody Zen in comparison.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:04:45 »
So?

This I've gotta see

57 wpm = 285 cpm = 4.45 cps = 2.225 presses per finger per second. That's not that much.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.