Author Topic: Ergodox thumb cluster and modifier switches  (Read 2158 times)

Offline elee31

Ergodox thumb cluster and modifier switches
« on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:08:56 »
I have a couple of Ergodoxes both with 62g lubed ergo-clears.  I found the ergo clears quite stiff for the thumb clusters.  I've been thinking about having the ergo-clears in the thumb cluster and modifier keys switched out to another set of different switches. 

I have considered getting lighter springs, but since I have a whole bunch of cherry reds, blues, clears and browns.  I would probably want to give those a try first.  What are your thoughts on this and which switches would you recommend? At the moment I'm kind of leaning towards the browns.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Ergodox thumb cluster and modifier switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:17:37 »
I went just the opposite direction ... pinky keys have browns, not-homerow browns have 50gr springs, and the thumb keys have 100gr clears so they can properly slow my thumbs down when I mash keys.

But for the 1x keys around the 2x keys ... sure, I could see making those reds. I've never worked with the acrylic plate; can you open them up without desoldering? Just put a switch slider in for a week, see what you think.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline madik

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:30:36 »
Hehe I put originally a Grey switch on the Space and backspace 2u keys. It felt too heavy so I put the clears on within a week. The 1u keys around the 2u keys are anyway too away in awkvard positions so I just cant use them without looking anyway. So clears on all of them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:39:32 »
I have a couple of Ergodoxes both with 62g lubed ergo-clears.  I found the ergo clears quite stiff for the thumb clusters.
I’m surprised you find those too stiff.. thumbs are usually pretty strong.

But anyway, just use whatever you find comfortable. Any advice you get around here is going to be much less useful than just trying something and seeing how well it works for you.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:34:02 »
I think it's the extreme tactility ergoclears have especially at parts of their storke: makes them feel heavier.

If you want a little lighter switch, Try changing out for a brown stem. If you have the acrylic case, opening switches is quite easy: give it a shot.

Offline gcb

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 16:28:34 »
i'm another one with the heavy thumb crowd.

brown on regular keys. red on pinky modifiers. dampened clears? (brows with black spring) on the two center most thumbs (space, backspace) and black on all others thumb modifiers.

i also have clears on the two outtermost bottom row keys. i call them "palm keys" as i press them with my palm. right is enter, left is esc. i'm a freaky.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:55:58 »
I currently have all Clears on both of my ErgoDoxes. I love the added stiffness -- I find that I don't bottom out as much as I do with Browns. That said, I think need to pick up some other switches and try them out to see if I would like more or less stiffness on the modifiers and the thumb clusters.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout