Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 285344 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 14:28:58 »
tomorrow, i think.

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated
« Reply #451 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 18:22:26 »
yes, yellow is the one popping color option now. looking at the linked GBs in your signature, I can see why RAL6027 would have been really nice for you - sorry.

No apologies necessary. I'm just glad I could be involved with the things you're making. And the yellow is a pretty awesome color.

If it's not too late, I'd like to add a +1 to the Boardwalk support too.

And one more question.. When this goes live, will you be doing a limited GB or will we be able to buy more than one size/color?

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated or stainless
« Reply #452 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 18:44:48 »
Boardwalk, not too late. It would just be another plate and I had already made this plate for SKB1. I'll evaluate it.

If you want more than one, sure you will be able to order more, I won't limit that. Overall there will have to be a limit of course but I don't know jet where that will be. SKB1 were a little over 200 participants with over 250 cases (quite a few bought more than one case). The IC form for SKB2 has already over 350 submissions. I know well that IC form submissions don't mean much, that's why I didn't even require people to leave their email in there. It helps me to plan ahead and get a feeling for what's to come. It sure look like I will have to set an overall limit.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #453 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:11:13 »
The "early bird" form is €110, does that mean people who join will have a €110 discount on their GB order?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline perry4761

« Reply #454 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:16:32 »
Just filled the Early Bird form! Is there a discord we can follow for this build? Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but 10 pages is kind of a lot to read through

« Reply #455 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:18:26 »
The "early bird" form is €110, does that mean people who join will have a €110 discount on their GB order?

I detailed it in this post.

« Reply #456 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:23:46 »
Just filled the Early Bird form! Is there a discord we can follow for this build? Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but 10 pages is kind of a lot to read through

I know it is a lot. The "update" section in the start post should help you find the most relevant info/posts throughout the thread. in the "todo" section I mention that I'm planing a discord server for the GB. in short: no discord jet, but when the GB starts I'll have one ready. for now everything happens here.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #457 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:30:32 »

Sorry, I read that post and it's still not clear; it just says something about free shipping. Is the early bird price subtracted from the group buy price?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

« Reply #458 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:34:43 »

Sorry, I read that post and it's still not clear; it just says something about free shipping. Is the early bird price subtracted from the group buy price?

No problem, I clarified it here some more.

Offline Funkzilla

« Reply #459 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 00:19:53 »
Jumped into the early bird and praying for the 1800 lol

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #460 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 00:22:18 »
signed up for the early bird form, can't wait to get my first 75% board (75% is confirmed right?)

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #461 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 00:30:33 »
Yeah I'd really like an 1800 too, depending on the price of course, otherwise I'm in for the WKL TKL

Offline saesh

« Reply #462 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 01:49:14 »
Great updates. I think RAMA Heavy Industry will also be a good match for the yellow SKB2.

Offline saesh

« Reply #463 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 01:50:32 »
signed up for the early bird form, can't wait to get my first 75% board (75% is confirmed right?)

Yes, in two versions. Compact 75% is coming with the regular GB, and a more spaced version a little later due to the PCB not being ready in time. Check earlier posts for details.

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #464 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 02:21:21 »

Yes, in two versions. Compact 75% is coming with the regular GB, and a more spaced version a little later due to the PCB not being ready in time. Check earlier posts for details.

nice, he did mention that the more spaced version might be done in time for the GB so hoping for that one, but i'm content with either one

« Reply #465 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 03:47:30 »

now it looks like it might be ready earlier. will have a more definitive answer regarding which 75% version it will be soon.

« Reply #466 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 03:55:47 »
Early birds form for 3rd prototype batch closed:

Happy to see that it was achieved quickly like the last time. I found a plugin that closed the form automatically after a given amount of entries, much better this way.
Early bird invoices go out later this day.

Offline Liub

« Reply #467 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 03:57:20 »
I'm on vacay and missed on the latest round of early bird... Any chance of sneaking me in? Can pay immediately.

« Reply #468 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 03:59:52 »
Sorry, prototypes are safely funded now.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #469 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 04:06:07 »

Happy to see that it was achieved quickly like the last time. I found a plugin that closed the form automatically after a given amount of entries, much better this way.

How long do we have to pay the invoice?

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #470 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 04:06:44 »

How long do we have to pay the invoice?

« Reply #471 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 04:18:59 »
how  long? you mean till when?
hopefully immediately. when the invoices are paid I will place the order for next prototype batch. it is in the interest of the whole GB to handle it quickly. though I don't need to wait for every single invoice to be paid immediately to place the order, I don't have to pay up front. I won't be too strict if one or two need some more time. it would certainly be appreciated if this goes smoothly.

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #472 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 05:08:07 »
Sorry, prototypes are safely funded now.
Have all the PayPal invoices been sent? Thought I was quick off the mark but it seems not quick enough!

« Reply #473 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 05:09:59 »
I'm not that quick.
I'll be able to send out the invoices later today.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #474 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 07:35:50 »
Missed the early bird again... Dang... Gonna wait for round 3? Can I just pay first until you decide on more proto? Cos I only check in every other day and the difference in timezone doesn't help being notified...

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Cantello

« Reply #475 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 07:42:28 »
Could not find it anywhere so here's my question: will the TKL be compatible to any existing PCB and/or will the newly designed PCB support LEDs?

« Reply #476 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 08:06:21 »
Maarten is developing the TKL pcb, the Eon87.
He already has gotten the prototypes and soldered them.
Currently he is working on the firmware.

Here are the layouts it will support:
233965-0

Since the case is a top mount construction and has pretty wide bezels, you will be able to fit any tkl PCB in there as long as it has the usb-plug at the standard tkl position. top row has to be 0.25U offset. Maartens Eon87 does have underglow LEDs but the SKB2 does not care for LED lighting AT ALL. It is a full steel enclosure, no shine through parts.

Here is a picture of the latest Eon87 prototype:
233967-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 08:33:18 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Liub

« Reply #477 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 11:20:56 »
Really looking forward to this, hopefully get to pick up two colours!

Offline Cantello

« Reply #478 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 13:10:41 »
[...]Maartens Eon87 does have underglow LEDs but the SKB2 does not care for LED lighting AT ALL. It is a full steel enclosure, no shine through parts.[...]

Thanks for the answer. So no support for in-switch LEDs, correct? Even though this is a fully enclosed case, there would probably some light emission but it's not that important. I do have RGB LEDs for my Ducky One, which is nice, but I can live without. :-)

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 13:25:20 »
Correct, no through-hole / in-switch LEDs.
Yes, some light might peak out, that's why I would recommend to immediately deactivate the standard QMK setting (RGB on) when making your keymap.
Please excuse my slight hostility towards LED stuff. Don't want to offend anyone, I just don't want to support it when I'm not a fan of it. It makes more sense when the whole concept has integrated lighting in mind and there are some great projects to that regard.

Offline Cantello

« Reply #480 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 13:35:45 »
Please excuse my slight hostility towards LED stuff. Don't want to offend anyone, I just don't want to support it when I'm not a fan of it.

No offense taken, I guess there is a time and place for LEDs and this it is not.  :cool:

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #481 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:17:22 »
Is Maarten able to offer a TA-65 with usb-c? If not, then the XD68 from here should fit just fine right? Just want to know so it arrives in time. Thanks.

Offline .

« Reply #482 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:43:21 »
Is Maarten able to offer a TA-65 with usb-c? If not, then the XD68 from here should fit just fine right? Just want to know so it arrives in time. Thanks.

That might be a good idea to offer

« Reply #483 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 15:14:32 »
...yep, 65% PCB will have USB-C. "Eon67" it will be called. I think this is good news for all who consider the 65% size.
Maarten  :thumb:

« Reply #484 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:09:51 »
3rd prototype batch ordered

I have sent out the early bird invoices today. early birds have paid super quickly, great support guys, I have placed the order.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:19:37 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #485 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 16:15:46 »
About the plates

You know from the pictures in the start post that the plates have relief cuts around the mounting points. I tried different sizes, they all had much less of an impact that I was expecting. Since the case has big bezels, I thought why not use the room you have, so I tried the maximum amount of relief cuts. It's basically a thin strip that winds as much as possible in the available space. Want to show you what I got (obviously hasn't been surface treated jet):

(I think embedding here does not work like this, please tell me if you know how)

link to the video

Here you can also see one of the grommets getting seated:

(I think embedding here does not work like this, please tell me if you know how)

link to the video

Now before you all scream "I-WANT-THAT", please read my thoughts about this:
I have put the plate into a case and put switched and caps on. It's not a complete build but I can tell that when typing you won't be able to tell this plate with super long and winding relief cuts apart from one without them. If you press down on all keys with both hands then you do feel is, the plate can be pressed down. But in terms of typing - there is no effect for me noticeable.
Isolating the plate from the case via the grommet is much more noticeable compared to going metal on metal with the mounting. Maybe using grommets has a lesser effect in CNC milled cases but for my type of case, the isolation mounting has a big and satisfactory impact.

Not only is the impact of the winding relief cut hardly noticeable, it also brings problems in terms of manufacturing, transportation and handling. The thin strips are quite fragile and I fear if I would have a lot produced like that, quite a few might end up broken.
So even if this looks like something you might want to have in your plate, I have to say that this kind of cut is in my opinion neither a noticeable nor a feasible solution.
I will do relief cuts but not like this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 January 2020, 16:18:44 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #486 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 16:20:34 »
My 2p: I'm not fussed about those cuts; looks a little too intricate for my liking. Feels like something waiting to break!

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #487 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 18:46:06 »
About the plates

You know from the pictures in the start post that the plates have relief cuts around the mounting points. I tried different sizes, they all had much less of an impact that I was expecting. Since the case has big bezels, I thought why not use the room you have, so I tried the maximum amount of relief cuts. It's basically a thin strip that winds as much as possible in the available space. Want to show you what I got (obviously hasn't been surface treated jet):

Show Image

link to the video

Here you can also see one of the grommets getting seated:

Show Image

link to the video

Now before you all scream "I-WANT-THAT", please read my thoughts about this:
I have put the plate into a case and put switched and caps on. It's not a complete build but I can tell that when typing you won't be able to tell this plate with super long and winding relief cuts apart from one without them. If you press down on all keys with both hands then you do feel is, the plate can be pressed down. But in terms of typing - there is no effect for me noticeable.
Isolating the plate from the case via the grommet is much more noticeable compared to going metal on metal with the mounting. Maybe using grommets has a lesser effect in CNC milled cases but for my type of case, the isolation mounting has a big and satisfactory impact.

Not only is the impact of the winding relief cut hardly noticeable, it also brings problems in terms of manufacturing, transportation and handling. The thin strips are quite fragile and I fear if I would have a lot produced like that, quite a few might end up broken.
So even if this looks like something you might want to have in your plate, I have to say that this kind of cut is in my opinion neither a noticeable nor a feasible solution.
I will do relief cuts but not like this.
If it does not add anything to the typing experience, let's forget about it and try to add flex another way.
This is totally fine with me.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #488 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 19:09:50 »
I feel like the board doesn't necessarily need any more flex than what is already provided by the mounting system - granted obviously I have no typed on the board and I'll likely try and get hold of the plate files to have laserboost or someone cut me a POM plate for a second PCB, I'm not sure that really is the ethos of the SKB line.

I'm just glad Plastik is trying all sorts of cool **** with the funded prototype runs, it's very refreshing to see exactly where the money's going and helping gain a lot of ground/knowledge prior to declaring the design final.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #489 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 19:14:00 »
I feel like the board doesn't necessarily need any more flex than what is already provided by the mounting system - granted obviously I have no typed on the board and I'll likely try and get hold of the plate files to have laserboost or someone cut me a POM plate for a second PCB, I'm not sure that really is the ethos of the SKB line.

I'm just glad Plastik is trying all sorts of cool **** with the funded prototype runs, it's very refreshing to see exactly where the money's going and helping gain a lot of ground/knowledge prior to declaring the design final.
Well said

« Reply #490 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 08:51:17 »
also trying out different switch cutout sizes and radiuses:

234327-0

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #491 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 08:54:59 »
Thanks for sharing all the steps.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #492 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 11:26:30 »
My question about the plates is, is it possible to order an "extrawurst" special plate layout that probably nobody else wants? Or will the plate that's offered with the 60 layouts support all layouts at the same time anyway (6.25u and 7u spacebar)?

Offline Riba

« Reply #493 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 13:36:37 »
I would have hoped for a bit more bezel but I am aware this probably puts me in the minority...but I am definitely in. However something just struck me.

Please consider offering an add on folded palm rest, just a simple wedge shaped profile that would go along nicely with the case. Should be easy to manufacture and not too expensive.

Too bad the material used is not ferrous as it would be possible to use magnets to attach the palm rest to the case. Maybe still a possibility somehow, hmmm...

Offline honoka

« Reply #494 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 15:08:22 »
Even though I dont agree with your suggestion you could probably mount magnets on the inside that could attract the wrist wrest.

Offline Riba

« Reply #495 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 23:47:58 »
I just realized that would be a very bad idea if one is wearing a mechanical watch. :)

Offline honoka

« Reply #496 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 07:26:47 »
magnetism is a decievingly weak force. your watch would be fine

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #497 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 13:08:47 »
Too bad the material used is not ferrous

It definitely is ferrous. The whole point of SKB2 is that it's made of ferrous steel. Only the stainless version might be non-ferrous, and even that is unlikely since I'm guessing he's using 18-8 stainless which is mildly magnetic. Only something like 316 would be completely non-magnetic.

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #498 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 13:23:59 »
@PlastikSchnittstelle Are the plates going to support Maarten's switch top openers?

« Reply #499 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:04:17 »
My question about the plates is, is it possible to order an "extrawurst" special plate layout that probably nobody else wants? Or will the plate that's offered with the 60 layouts support all layouts at the same time anyway (6.25u and 7u spacebar)?

The 60% plate will support all the layouts that the Plain60-C PCB supports. Here you can see the layouts:

234451-0

During the SKB1 GB I made custom plate DXF for everyone who asked for it. Quite a lot got their own plate this way. I'm planning to offer my help the same way again. Maybe this time a custom plate service that not only gets you the file but a physical plate instead, not sure about that yet. Unified plates might look all the same to many but there are quite a few details to be aware of and I think the plate that will be the standard option will satisfy you very much.
Since I wasn't happy with the "winding relief cut", I already updated it and ordered again. The upcoming 60% plate will look like this (may change again if I don't like it):

234453-1