Author Topic: I created a keycap set and named it "Gardenia"  (Read 5452 times)

Offline BananaEmpress

I created a keycap set and named it "Gardenia"
« on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 10:16:04 »

Link to the Imgur gallery of this render: https://imgur.com/a/xBe14hs

Hello everyone! I wanted to share with you a little something I worked on for the past weeks - I created a keycap set inspired by warm tones and indoor plants. Thanks to my SO I now have an obsession with designing these and thought I could push my skills a little further. I also developed an obsession with indoor plants while in quarantine so my brain gave birth to this. The keyboard and pad are created by me using Blender and then rendered in Adobe Dimension. I've also credited the 3D artists that made the lovely decorations available for use. Let me know what you think of it - critiques are always welcomed!

Also posted this on reddit, my SO recommended me I post it here also since you guys know this stuff all to well :D

Offline paperassgasket

Re: I created a keycap set and named it "Gardenia"
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 12:17:30 »
Interesting choice to have a different color numrow. Not my thing but I respect it. Colors remind me a bit of GMK Fox. The contrast is a bit too stark and the usage of 4 (5 w/ Spacebar?) colors here seems a bit busy and disorganized particularly with the dark green mods and nav cluster but light green F-keys and numpad.
Conceptually though, you are definitely on to something. That terracotta brown is a nice color and the greens you are using seem to be very popular lately.

Offline BananaEmpress

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 14:36:20 »
Thank you for the feedback! Yes it's a bit of a strech making the numrow different, but I decided to test how it looks. Will try and group the keys a bit better and color them more neatly - will also look into other keycap sets and see where they stand regarding the number of used colors and in what proportions they're used. I'm glad to hear that I'm on the right track though! Will work more on this set to try and perfect it. Thank you again for taking your time commenting and sharing your opinion, I really appreciate it  :D

Offline KermittDaFrog

• Hello there !
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 16:57:01 »
Wow ! Nice keycaps set   :D
How much time did you past for modelling all of that in blender ?
I'm interested in 3d modelling, but i never really tried to model something, except technical parts in fusion 360 for 3d printing !

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 23:20:50 »
Thank you for the feedback! Yes it's a bit of a strech making the numrow different, but I decided to test how it looks. Will try and group the keys a bit better and color them more neatly - will also look into other keycap sets and see where they stand regarding the number of used colors and in what proportions they're used. I'm glad to hear that I'm on the right track though! Will work more on this set to try and perfect it. Thank you again for taking your time commenting and sharing your opinion, I really appreciate it  :D

Absolutely. I appreciate the genuine effort you are putting into this set.

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 23:29:56 »
Can someone tell me how I can design a GMK keycap set?

Offline seville57

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 11:49:11 »

The name makes me  think  of the Swedish word gardin = curtain, so now you have learned a Swedish Word.

It looks great, nice work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2021, 12:05:58 by seville57 »

Offline BananaEmpress

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 14:07:29 »
Wow ! Nice keycaps set   :D
How much time did you past for modelling all of that in blender ?
I'm interested in 3d modelling, but i never really tried to model something, except technical parts in fusion 360 for 3d printing !

Thank you! I'm really happy you like it! Also sorry for the late response, this website is really confusing for me haha.
I didn't timelapse the whole process in Blender - I took it as a learning experience and wanted to know the program more, I think around 3 to 4 days of constant work? I really want to give it my all and create a usable and pleasant keycap set even if it means I should create it from scratch. I also followed various Youtube tutorials on what I needed to achieve specifically.
Modelling is fullfiling honestly! Mainly because you can position and create renders that really bring out what's best in what you create, also really fun to make - I will use this base render on other keycap sets that I have prepared, so there's another plus.
And it's useful for arthesian keycaps - something that I will look into the near future.

Offline BananaEmpress

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 14:09:28 »

The name makes me  think  of the Swedish word gardin = curtain, so now you have learned a Swedish Word.

It looks great, nice work.

I'm really lad you like it! Can't wait to share with you the improved set :D
Also thank you for the fun info!

Offline mehta

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 20:43:38 »
i think this set is rly pretty! i'd love to see it come to fruition if you do decide to go that route

Offline Bisounours

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 22:07:58 »
I personally really like the alternate color top row.  This is a cool looking set for sure!

Offline KermittDaFrog

• Hello there !
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 17:04:56 »

Thank you! I'm really happy you like it! Also sorry for the late response, this website is really confusing for me haha.
I didn't timelapse the whole process in Blender - I took it as a learning experience and wanted to know the program more, I think around 3 to 4 days of constant work? I really want to give it my all and create a usable and pleasant keycap set even if it means I should create it from scratch. I also followed various Youtube tutorials on what I needed to achieve specifically.
Modelling is fullfiling honestly! Mainly because you can position and create renders that really bring out what's best in what you create, also really fun to make - I will use this base render on other keycap sets that I have prepared, so there's another plus.
And it's useful for arthesian keycaps - something that I will look into the near future.

Thanks for your detailed reply ! As you can see I'm neither the fastest man in the world... A week of work for modelling some plastic bits, that seems a lot, but they rend beautiful !
I really like the idea of creating something from scratch and master every part of the process.
I'd love to see your future projects  :)
Will you try to made those keycaps IRL ?

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 09:13:15 »
That deskmat looks amazing :D
Indoor plants are really cool and the setup im going to be doing is all based around indoor plants and such! Would defo buy the deskmat if this idea turned into something.

Offline eloiole

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 13:57:52 »
Hello BananaEmpress,

I can't believe you almost have the same story as me, my ex SO left our apartment with all her plants, and I've been taking care of about 50 species for about 2 years now. I'm slowly starting to fall in love with these plant and decided to design my next keyboard using the colour scheme of a variegated banana leaf.

This is the design I came out with :

Quite similar to you, orange to remind the terra cotta and different greens to call for leaf variegation. I really love your design I already came across on reddit and will probably inspire myself from it to have some sublimation on the space bar.

Are you gonna make this build for yourself ? I find it really difficult to find the right colour for the keycap, I'll probably go the dying way but what is your route ?

Offline vestun

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 02:32:36 »
I like the vibrant colors of this set. Very nice!

Offline Zytin

• Henlo :p
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 20:06:46 »
Loving those leaves on the spacebar, it adds a nice touch to the overall set  :thumb:

Offline azzipa

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 23:49:13 »
hilarious. five id’s with <10 posts responding to this thread. and OP is a new id. three are b+w line drawings. everyone can read into this what they will. i’m thinking maybe you can get some organic traction with this pre-ic. or not.