Author Topic: keyboard typing angle, how much is recommendable?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
keyboard typing angle, how much is recommendable?
« on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 23:11:56 »

I plan to adjust the typing angle of my custom keyboard by bumpons at the bottom of the caseing, but I'm indecisive how much is most comfortable and ergonomic. Found that 10mm bumpons are too short the angle is too flat-angled. Now I'm torn between these, what do you think:
- bumpons with 15mm height
or
- bumpons with 23mm height

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: keyboard typing angle, how much is recommendable?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 23:41:49 »
Personally, I find a board that has a uniform profile to be best around 6-7 degrees which is what most boards are at, although I certainly like steeper much more than flat.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 17:02:06 »
Ok, I pythagorazed and testdrived abit and the 15mm bumpons give me an angle of 10 degrees which seems pretty much what my guts approve.  :thumb:  The 23mm bumpons, on the other side, make an angle of 14.5 which is pretty much too steep. Unless... a wrist rest is used, I'm abusing a rubber hot-water bag as wrist rest, and this is a pretty amazing feel together with the steep angle. If it's good in long term use I'm not yet sure about..
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 August 2021, 17:06:22 by Eszett »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 17:09:07 »
Ergonomic ?   Then negative 4° is usually around the recommended amount.
But I find 0° to be more comfortable.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 17:52:43 »
Findecanor, that is an inverted angle is actually ergonomic? Wait ... I have to think about that. Why are kickstands then on the back end of the caseing and make a positive angle?
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 August 2021, 17:54:39 by Eszett »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 19:09:34 »
It would sorta make sense as your arms are sorta sloped down so that your wrists wouldn't be bending at all, prolly good for standing desks

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 04:24:28 »
Why are the keys laid out in a random order?  So typewriters didn't jam.  Typewriters also had positive tilt and both 'standards' have remained because that's how it's always been, not because they are good.

Which angle is best for you?  Well that would depend on your setup - if you can achieve the magical knees at 90 degrees, elbows at 90 degrees and head level with the top of your monitor you would want a different angle than if, like me, your forearms are at a greater angle (sloping down towards the desk)  If your chair is lower compared to the desk so your arms slope upwards you'd want a positively inclined keyboard to match.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod