Author Topic: 3 Month Lurker - Finally Putting Some Skin In The Game  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Element Agronz

3 Month Lurker - Finally Putting Some Skin In The Game
« on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 13:41:24 »
To whom it may concern,

Hey everyone my name is Element Agronz or Agronz for short. For the last 6 months I've been slowly putting together my own little battle station and have finally gotten to the keyboard part of the station. Now currently I'm using a "DELL KB212-B". Horrid I know but I digress, I want a keyboard that will last probably the rest of my life (more on that later) cause I've never had anything grand. Now I'm not trying to spend a fortune but I want a taste of the nice life so I believe I've settled on a good decision to start out with. My first build will be a Melody96 with kailh brown switches that I will lube myself (possibly with olive oil). That said I have not Finalized what key caps I want so any suggestions or tips for my build will be greatly appreciated. I will be asking around about it and I hope you guys will accept me as well!

Offline Maledicted

Re: 3 Month Lurker - Finally Putting Some Skin In The Game
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 15:04:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack Agronz.

Have you felt any brown switches before? There's not very much tactility. I have never felt the regular Kailh browns (just the box variant) but I'm sure they're smoother than Cherry. Do people suggest olive oil as a lube? I'm pretty sure that olive oil, being a natural oil, eventually spoils. In addition to this, I believe that natural oils tend to polymerize/harden over time. I know for sure that this is the case when you look inside of very old guns, where there may be this discolored slick of something that almost seems one with the metal. It has been pretty hard for me to remove sometimes, although soaking in ATF has usually worked pretty well. I know I wouldn't only use something dry or synthetic if I cared to lube anything. I have never bothered to lube switches though.

YMDK makes good cheap caps, in my humble opinion. I'm not a cap connoisseur though either.

Offline Element Agronz

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 16:14:46 »

Have you felt any brown switches before? There's not very much tactility. I have never felt the regular Kailh browns (just the box variant) but I'm sure they're smoother than Cherry. Do people suggest olive oil as a lube? I'm pretty sure that olive oil, being a natural oil, eventually spoils. In addition to this, I believe that natural oils tend to polymerize/harden over time. I know for sure that this is the case when you look inside of very old guns, where there may be this discolored slick of something that almost seems one with the metal. It has been pretty hard for me to remove sometimes, although soaking in ATF has usually worked pretty well. I know I wouldn't only use something dry or synthetic if I cared to lube anything. I have never bothered to lube switches though.

YMDK makes good cheap caps, in my humble opinion. I'm not a cap connoisseur though either.

I've used browns before and they are the best feeling ones I remember, it's kinda hard to explain. Also the olive oil was a joke it can be used but it's not recommended. When it comes to switch I've seen some pretty good caps on ymdk but like GMK Bento... Looks so clean but I'm not trying to spend 180 dollars but i still might lol.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 16:29:07 »

I've used browns before and they are the best feeling ones I remember, it's kinda hard to explain. Also the olive oil was a joke it can be used but it's not recommended. When it comes to switch I've seen some pretty good caps on ymdk but like GMK Bento... Looks so clean but I'm not trying to spend 180 dollars but i still might lol.

That makes me wonder what else you have tried. Not a clicky or linear sort of guy then?

I wouldn't know. I don't follow the whole lubing thing either, not for keyboards anyway. I certainly hoped it wasn't suggested by anybody, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

That set does look nice. I hadn't heard of it, but I haven't heard of most. I would certainly hope that it would be fantastic for $150.  :eek: I know you're not going to easily find caps for much of the more popular/modern layouts without forking out that sort of cash though.