Author Topic: [IC] GMK Eclipse  (Read 60799 times)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
Re: [IC] GMK Eclipse
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 23:37:32 »
Anybody else prefer the previous edition? Personally, I love that less contrast and more bluish legends.

Agree. I loved the blue. This less appealing. The legends just looks white now to me.

I don't think you need to worry about the legends looking white.  Tom said that the lighter blue would be the one found in GMK Yuri, and that is a nice light blue as seen in the samples pic he had posted:

Show Image

That doesn't look blue either lol. I guess it's a cool colored grey so it hues blue, but I would never call that color blue as my first guess. Especially if it was just being used for the legends, I don't think the blue would come through at all. It would be masked by the contrast.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 05:19:54 »
I dont know where some people see that light blue color as gray.

Here are soem samples. White paper is there to force camera doing white balance properly. Whough N9 colors (base color for alphas) appears black which is definitely not black and that should be kept in mind.

From left to right: third sample is Carbon gray and forth is Yuri's light blue. MG1 and RO1 colors are considered for accent keys.

I've already requested a sample for the custom color which is used as base colors on modifiers. So as soon as i get them in my hand i will post photo in the whole combo.
I am also glad to announce that the first round of GMK Eclipse will be done at CandyKeys. Its a german based online shop wich has pretty good offers for european market. Just check all the gmk sets they have ;)
candykeys.com
You can consider the GB might start by the end of this summer +/-.

Also i know some people might be upsate that Eclipse is not "In your face!" set. My intention was not to make it this way. I thought more about elegant, clean and mature color combination.
Anyway if there is enough interest i could also imagine offering an addittional base set with MG1 symbols. However you have to keep in mind this will split the possible buyers in two parties and one or the other or even both base sets might not make it.
Just an mockup for Eclipse with MG1 symbols.

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 July 2017, 05:26:53 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Auk

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 06:30:33 »

Inevitably the problems of inconsistent color spaces, chroma subsampling, lack of calibration, different light temperature etc. all conspire to ensure few of us are looking at exactly the same thing. You already noted that the Carbon gray in your photo appears black, on my screen the Yuri blue sample actually looks quite anaemic.

As for the simple 2D renders (KLE?) those are quite flat, and there is a weird effect of perception: with the image fitted in my browser window, I agree the previous comments: the earlier version with bluer legends looks better. However, opening up the image to full size and zooming in a bit I see more of what I think you mean by "calm and elegant"

If anyone who hasn't seen them before, please have a look at somecolor illusions like these examples.

Offline moecoffee059

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 09:48:48 »
sad, price too high if not sell in massdrop

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:06:57 »
Any estimated price then since it's being sold through candykeys? (From their other available key sets it seems much pricier than the yuri drop on MD)

I also prefer the more discrete light blue on blue than the magenta on blue alphas :)
But still prefer the darker blue alphas
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 July 2017, 17:15:47 by PotatoTM »

Offline avid

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:11:19 »
Any estimated price then since it's being sold through candykeys? (From their other available key sets it seems much pricier than the yuri drop on MD)

I also prefer the more discrete light blue on blue than the magenta on blue alphas :)

their current prices are retail, not GB - so shouldn't be to worried about the price. Im guessing 120-130 euros or so for base set.
(mykeyboard has solarized dark for 126 euro)

Offline krisst

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 15:04:02 »
Interested in this set. Personally prefer the lighter blue legends as there are more contrast.

Regarding the candykeys site. Good that the price would be lower for our EU friends, any idea if the price would increase by a lot for the rest of the world? Shipping and taxes might play a part too.

If the groupbuy base are mostly from non-EU, looking at previous GB data. I hope you will reconsider which site to host the GB on.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 15:06:23 »
Interested in this set. Personally prefer the lighter blue legends as there are more contrast.

Regarding the candykeys site. Good that the price would be lower for our EU friends, any idea if the price would increase by a lot for the rest of the world? Shipping and taxes might play a part too.

If the groupbuy base are mostly from non-EU, looking at previous GB data. I hope you will reconsider which site to host the GB on.

Don't forget the caps are made in Germany anyway. So it's more complicated than that.

Offline krisst

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 15:09:20 »

Don't forget the caps are made in Germany anyway. So it's more complicated than that.

Would there be no tax for exporting if manufactured and sold from Germany or EU? Price does play a part for getting more people who are interested to join the GB.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 19:54:57 »

Here are soem samples. White paper is there to force camera doing white balance properly. Whough N9 colors (base color for alphas) appears black which is definitely not black and that should be kept in mind.
Show Image

From left to right: third sample is Carbon gray and forth is Yuri's light blue. MG1 and RO1 colors are considered for accent keys.
Show Image

Show Image

I've already requested a sample for the custom color which is used as base colors on modifiers. So as soon as i get them in my hand i will post photo in the whole combo.
I am also glad to announce that the first round of GMK Eclipse will be done at CandyKeys. Its a german based online shop wich has pretty good offers for european market. Just check all the gmk sets they have ;)
candykeys.com

Also i know some people might be upsate that Eclipse is not "In your face!" set. My intention was not to make it this way. I thought more about elegant, clean and mature color combination.
Anyway if there is enough interest i could also imagine offering an addittional base set with MG1 symbols. However you have to keep in mind this will split the possible buyers in two parties and one or the other or even both base sets might not make it.
Show Image

I like the MG1 better than the lighter blue actually. I hope these go through if the normal alphas are gonna be so light.

Also, it may be that those caps look more blue in person, but they are hardly blue at all as rendered. I have a calibrated hdr oled display and an iPad Pro and it doesn't look blue so much as grey on either display.

If you look at the rgb values they are around:

R: 203
G: 216
B: 231

It may have a blue hue, but that is most definitely not blue.

In another photo the brightest face is like:

R: 168
G: 213
B: 229

Which means it's closer to a grey faded teal than blue.

The question is, is the color in the photo bad? Or the color just super muted?

To be clear I'd probably buy this either way, but I'd love a nice bright robins egg blue over one so faded. Similar to what that pastel set is using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 20:11:31 »
Really dig this as shown below.

How come there are two R1 Escs? I presume just a mistake.

Any chance of R2 1.5 Backspace? I forget if this exists yet.

Nice compatibility too.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 20:33:53 »
The previous blue legends looked a lot better on the black keys but I really like the look of the Yuri blue legends on the mods. Maybe we can meet halfway and make it a combo of both the previous blue and Yuri blue?

Also really not a fan of the MG1 legends. I'd pass if those were what's offered. The subtle, mature nature of this set was what attracted me and MG1 legends go in the exact opposite direction.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:13:13 »
The previous blue legends looked a lot better on the black keys but I really like the look of the Yuri blue legends on the mods. Maybe we can meet halfway and make it a combo of both the previous blue and Yuri blue?

I like that idea. That's actually how hydro is I believe.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 04:33:55 »
Really dig this as shown below.

How come there are two R1 Escs? I presume just a mistake.

Show Image

Any chance of R2 1.5 Backspace? I forget if this exists yet.

Nice compatibility too.

Thanks for the catch. :) This Escape key was left after i've took out the accent keys.

In case of 1.5u Backspace. It does already exists for example in GMK Honeywell. However its splitt in two rows like displayed in following picture this:

Anyway i would mor appreaciate one single row and this is why i am always using "Delete" for this matter. Also for 1u Backspace i use "Del" too.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

candykeys.com

Show Image

I like the MG1 better than the lighter blue actually. I hope these go through if the normal alphas are gonna be so light.

Also, it may be that those caps look more blue in person, but they are hardly blue at all as rendered. I have a calibrated hdr oled display and an iPad Pro and it doesn't look blue so much as grey on either display.

If you look at the rgb values they are around:

R: 203
G: 216
B: 231

It may have a blue hue, but that is most definitely not blue.

In another photo the brightest face is like:

R: 168
G: 213
B: 229

Which means it's closer to a grey faded teal than blue.

The question is, is the color in the photo bad? Or the color just super muted?

To be clear I'd probably buy this either way, but I'd love a nice bright robins egg blue over one so faded. Similar to what that pastel set is using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have calibrated monitor too but it appears blue. Also i've tried to o look at mockups on my Android Phone and everything seems to be fine. Tried this also on my multi monitors at work. Everything is blue as it supposed to be.

The RGB code for the light blue is: RGB(171, 198, 220). It is actually a BFM color code from Signature Plastics. The sample i got from GMK is ofcourse slightly different and needs its own RGB values. Anyway its definitely light blue and its very visible on just the raw RGB values.

Also really not a fan of the MG1 legends. I'd pass if those were what's offered. The subtle, mature nature of this set was what attracted me and MG1 legends go in the exact opposite direction.

The previous blue color was just spontaneous mixed. It has a lightness value of 100 which is probably impossible to make real. Real colors are always off. Anyway since i got already existing very light blue sample, i decided to go with it.
The blue color used for modifiers was also spontaneous mixed and it has to be matched to Pantone or RAL color. What means i have to adjust mockup color later again. I could not find any matching Pantone color for that blue but i've found RAL 5000 colour which is the closest sample color you can get.
RAL 5000 Violet blue

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 13:44:10 »

This is strictly not true.

No estimated price yet. The reason they are so expensive is due to it coming from Originative not directly GMK.

Would there be no tax for exporting if manufactured and sold from Germany or EU? Price does play a part for getting more people who are interested to join the GB.

It does not really matter if it is EU or non-EU, if it is non-EU, you could be at advantage since you do not pay EU Taxes, you get the product tax free and then you pay your countries taxes and not ours :) So if you have lower taxes, for example America then you could be at advantage. You all need to consider that the shipping from GMK to us is nearly free, there are no import/export fees. (which many US companies have to cover (Export cost (paper-work) and Import cost (more paper-work) on all shipments above 1XXX EUR which then includes import company costs.) We can guarantee that the price will be good :)

Personally, I have ordered shipments from MassDrop before, and I paid USA + DE taxes, which really surprised me and made it really expensive. I am not exactly sure how the American tax system works but non-EU countries will not be at a disadvantage.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 July 2017, 13:51:42 by CandyKeys »
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 13:57:23 »

No estimated price yet. The reason they are so expensive is due to it coming from Originative not directly GMK.

It does not really matter if it is EU or non-EU, if it is non-EU, you could be at advantage since you do not pay EU Taxes, you get the product tax free and then you pay your countries taxes and not ours :) So if you have lower taxes, for example America then you could be at advantage. You all need to consider that the shipping from GMK to us is nearly free, there are no import/export fees. (which many US companies have to cover (Export cost (paper-work) and Import cost (more paper-work) on all shipments above 1XXX EUR which then includes import company costs.) We can guarantee that the price will be good :)

Personally, I have ordered shipments from MassDrop before, and I paid USA + DE taxes, which really surprised me and made it really expensive. I am not exactly sure how the American tax system works but non-EU countries will not be at a disadvantage.

If you by on Massdrop it does not include US Taxes as (AFAIK) US citizen are personaly responsible for paying their taxes. Say they pay these afterwards.

Anyway i think people should really not worry much about pricings. I think the set will be GMK wise pretty much affordable for everyone. Especially it will be more affordable for some EU people whose countries have crazy import taxes.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 14:18:41 »

If you by on Massdrop it does not include US Taxes as (AFAIK) US citizen are personaly responsible for paying their taxes. Say they pay these afterwards.

Anyway i think people should really not worry much about pricings. I think the set will be GMK wise pretty much affordable for everyone. Especially it will be more affordable for some EU people whose countries have crazy import taxes.

Thanks for the clearing up of that :) Learning something new every day.

Offline TheExcitedRobot

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 14:29:07 »

In the US, sales tax is determined by the state. For online retailers, sales tax is usually only applied to people who are in the same state as the distributor. Massdrop is required to charge sales tax to people in New Jersey and California. Anyone in the US not in those states do not pay sales tax.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 01:07:08 »
I am fond of the accent kit and the yuri blue for alpha legend.
However, I am preoccupied with the banana yellow for modifier legend.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 05:12:47 »
Letting the days go by, the banana legends actually do look really good.
+1

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 09:27:59 »
Looking forward to this :)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 09:31:30 »
Looking forward to this :)
Yeah same here.
Definitely a fine looking set.

Offline Albatross

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 14:35:29 »
I am relatively new to the keyboard hobby, and so I am still in the phase where I find it hard to justify purchasing expensive keycaps. I'd likely end up purchasing this as my first keycap set though, because I like how elegant, composed, and simple this set is in it's current state. :)

Offline darthzero

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 15:22:49 »
I just found out about this set on candykeys :> really happy for them to host their first gmk gb! I will definitely jump on it asap... that said, i noticed the iso shift had "only" the icon on it and i wanted to let you know (guess you already do though) that the label would fit there too like you can see on gmk hydro http://i.imgur.com/M8Oyad8.jpg.
good luck :)
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 15:47:27 »
I'm also very excited for this one, I just hope the shipping and duty fees don't ruin it for me :\

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 11:58:49 »
Update
Base kit
- added missing "Shift" word to iso shift

irrelevant: mockups have now same enter, arrow and tab symbols as they are in real

Accent kit
- Changed colors to MG1 base/Yuri light blue legends, RO1/Yuri light blue legends and Yuri light blue base with N9 legends. N9 is the color used for alphas base.

*NEW*
NORDE kit
- covers german and almost all nordic laguages

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 12:29:55 by T0mb3ry »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 12:03:19 »
This is looking super, super nice, tonberry. Will have to pick up a set.

Offline anorak

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 13:22:40 »
Update
Base kit
Show Image

irrelevant: mockups have now same enter, arrow and tab symbols as they are in real

Accent kit
- Changed colors to MG1 base/Yuri light blue legends, RO1/Yuri light blue legends and Yuri light blue base with N9 legends. N9 is the color used for alphas base.
Show Image

*NEW*
NORDE kit
Show Image

Many thanks for adding a NORDE kit. I definitely  must buy his now. Really  like the colours!

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 13:39:12 »
No more violet accents? :( I really liked the look of it, more discrete than the Hot Pink that replaced it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 13:41:21 by PotatoTM »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 14:31:24 »
No more violet accents? :( I really liked the look of it, more discrete than the Hot Pink that replaced it.

Yeah, it's a bummer, but I think I see what he's doing.  One subdued (pale blue), one not too edgy but stylish (burgundy), and one more in-your-face (pink).  I really liked the violet too.  But I think it would have to replace burgundy and I like burgundy better.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 15:01:38 »
Update
Base kit
Show Image

Accent kit
Show Image

*NEW*
NORDE kit
Show Image

I like your dedication with both centre and offset stemmed 6u spacebar support. Please keep it up!

On a slightly related note, I find it strange that Gateron has figured out how to make a 6u spacebar that can accommodate both a centre and offset-stemmed 6u spacebar, and yet GMK cannot do so and instead elected to produce two separate versions with each stem position  :rolleyes:
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline poolside

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 14:28:08 »

I liked the purple better as well  :'(
I felt more space-y than MG1.

Offline krisst

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 01:50:40 »
Base kit looking awesome. Any plans for spacebar kit?

Offline Cotay

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 02:19:21 »
I'm looking forward to putting this on a Night Fox!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 09:20:09 »
Update
Base set
- Removed obsolete "Esc" key.
- Changed modifiers color to RAL 5000. I will get sample sometime later which are matched to RAL 5000 color.

*NEW*
Novelties
Will add probably an Enter Novelty if i got proper idea for it. But right now only 1.25u and 1.5u row 4 novelties. Maybe i will merge accent kit with novelties, so they meet the moq more easily.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 July 2017, 09:22:34 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 16:59:11 »
TKL Render by Oblotzky  ;)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:05:00 »
Oh, man. This will look so perfect mixed with Hydro. Count me in.

Can't wait for all the Eclipse-colored artisans! :D

Offline Atredl

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:07:55 »
Show Image

Show Image

Come to me bby!

Oh, man. This will look so perfect mixed with Hydro. Count me in.

Completely agreed.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 19:55:20 »
Any chance we could see violet make a return? Maybe a poll to see which color people are more into or something?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 22:28:39 »
I, too, think purple looked well. Definitely one of the first colors I think of when I think of space.
I mean, you even have it in your Eclipse logo!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 23:10:53 »
Another vote to bring back purple yo, I like the shock pink and the blue but the deep red isn't very much my style personally!

Offline ns90

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 23:56:24 »
Yeah, I really like the purple too.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:06:08 »
Well i will bring back that violet color (instead of MG1) to Accent kit.  ;)

Offline bciamny

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:15:36 »
Show Image

Show Image

oblotzky out here doing the lord's work.

renders look great. we might be past this in terms of color selections but a render with the yellow legends for mods could be nice to see, if it's worth the effort.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:41:18 »

Awesome! Looking forward to this keyset   :D

Offline darthzero

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 03:38:26 »

Awesome! Looking forward to this keyset   :D
I would be in anyway, even more so after seeing the renders but the violet is the icing on the cake! 
Thank you <3
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline Petch

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 07:18:39 »
Would prefer icon for the 1.5u backspace rather than 'Delete', but v. interested regardless

Offline poolside

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 15:25:06 »

Sweet!  :)

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 03:19:45 »
This set is coming along quite nicely. The light blue gives it a little touch in comparison to the black and dark blue. Sad to see no purple, but that color probably has nothing to do with eclipses.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 04:04:34 »
This set is coming along quite nicely. The light blue gives it a little touch in comparison to the black and dark blue. Sad to see no purple, but that color probably has nothing to do with eclipses.

Depends on the type of Eclipse you are talking about  ;) and t0m did mentione he's bringing back violet