Author Topic: How's your preferred keycap profile progressed?  (Read 20730 times)

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
How's your preferred keycap profile progressed?
« on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 07:00:19 »
Hello!

So from different places I've chatted with people who's moved from SA to cherry/oem profile, and it seems a lot of people quickly move from XDA/DSA profile, but I might be wrong or have a wrong insight on this.

I'm quite new to this whole business, and I haven't tried any high quality cherry profile caps yet. However I've found myself, after trying out both XDA and DSA that I really prefer either cherry or SA profiles, and rather dislike XDA/DSA profiles now.

I'd like to hear other inputs on this, as I have the impression that most people seem to land on GMK/Cherry, it sort of being at the end of the line for preferred keycaps.

Offline dexie

Re: How's your preferred keycap profile progressed?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 08:13:54 »
My first board was OEM. I kinda liked it but decided to try DSA because of looks. Used it for few days and completely hated how it feels, so went back to OEM. Then I tried cherry and love it so much so use it since (~2 years).

I really want to try SA, but I am always hesitating to get a set. I've heard from others that it's hard to move from cherry to SA. Probably if I find one for <30$...
ISO Life

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 09:20:50 »
I don't exactly have a preferred keycap profile.
It went from flat (on Logitech K200) => Too flat (KD-800L) => OEM (Force K81) => OEM (Lite L) => Curved (RT101)

Out of them all, I prefer OEM and curved. Flat and stepped are usable, but there are exception on flat (chiclets). But curved wins slightly because the angle feels a bit more comfortable and because it's a great compromise between typing comfort and looks (ability to swap Y and Z without the board looking weird).
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 10:47:58 »
Hello!

So from different places I've chatted with people who's moved from SA to cherry/oem profile, and it seems a lot of people quickly move from XDA/DSA profile, but I might be wrong or have a wrong insight on this.

I'm quite new to this whole business, and I haven't tried any high quality cherry profile caps yet. However I've found myself, after trying out both XDA and DSA that I really prefer either cherry or SA profiles, and rather dislike XDA/DSA profiles now.

I'd like to hear other inputs on this, as I have the impression that most people seem to land on GMK/Cherry, it sort of being at the end of the line for preferred keycaps.

It is all personal preference.  Plenty of people like DSA and XDA keycaps....They also like how they look or just how they prefer to type it matches their style better.

But there is a reason Cherry or even OEM profiles are preferred and it isn't just because that is what you're used to....

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 13:29:24 »
I start with OEM then tried Cherry, DSA, SA, MIX (has a new name now I think), and in the end I realize:

If you're talking purely ergonomics and typing efficiency I still like OEM the best.

If you're talking about sound and key feel then SA feels the most solid (deepest sound), though I still don't like sculpted SA I only like uniform row 3 SA.

In a perfect world if they can get OEM to feel and sound like SA then I'd use that.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 05:44:00 »
My first board was OEM. I kinda liked it but decided to try DSA because of looks. Used it for few days and completely hated how it feels, so went back to OEM. Then I tried cherry and love it so much so use it since (~2 years).

I really want to try SA, but I am always hesitating to get a set. I've heard from others that it's hard to move from cherry to SA. Probably if I find one for <30$...
I tried DSA because I loved how spherical tops looked, but eventually I ended up not liking it. It's good for certain boards though but not something I'll use daily. I'm more a fan of cherry now actually, after having tried out a little bit more profiles.
You should try to find a flat SA set, if you don't want such a hard transition from cherry. I'm enjoying both flat and sculpted SA profiles, but ultimately I prefer sculpted, since reaching the top rows is easier, and more comfortable.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 05:48:00 »
I don't exactly have a preferred keycap profile.
It went from flat (on Logitech K200) => Too flat (KD-800L) => OEM (Force K81) => OEM (Lite L) => Curved (RT101)

Out of them all, I prefer OEM and curved. Flat and stepped are usable, but there are exception on flat (chiclets). But curved wins slightly because the angle feels a bit more comfortable and because it's a great compromise between typing comfort and looks (ability to swap Y and Z without the board looking weird).

I'd really like to try a curved keyboard, i love how it looks. I've primarily been using flat layouts, but just started out trying sculpted and I find it easier and more comfortable typing on the latter.

Offline Ruskie

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 12:24:15 »
For me, I started out with DSA as my preferred profile. At the time, I was experimenting with different layouts, and really enjoyed the fact that I could use different layouts like Colemak and workman without having to buy a specialty set. Over the years, I grew to dislike uniform profiles, and am now pretty comfortably set of cherry profile. For me, it just checks all the right boxes. That being said, the acoustics arent the greatest compared to something like SA, which has my favorite sound profile, but overall, Cherry profile is the best for me.
Ive got myself a beefy boi

-Alf F62PE
-PCB Mount ZealV2 67g
-GMK KA1953 "OG Classic Retro"

8 pounds of clack

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 12:49:34 »
Since getting into mech keyboards back in 2015, my favorite profile has been SA. It still is my favorite.

I am also a big fan of MT3 and, to a lesser extent, DSA and XDA. Basically anything spherical.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 14:14:16 »
Went from OEM to round typewriter caps to DSA,I'll try SA just as soon as I can find a set that will cover my BFO-9000 without costing more than all my boards are worth combined.

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 21:23:48 »
OEM --> Cherry --> SA -- > Cherry

I wanted to like SA, but in the end it was a bit too tall for my tastes. I'm thinking about trying MT3 next, looks like it might be the right balance between sculpt and height for me.
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Cannon Keys Satisfaction 75
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 04:40:59 »
My first mech was a Cherry MX 2.0.  I loved the low keycap profile.  I hated the OEM in comparison.  This led me to the Leopold profile I believe is Step-Sculpture and a preference for PBT.  However after using the Poker 3 caps to replace the generic ones on another 60% board, the Poker 3's OEM became my favorite.  No other profile feels more natural to my fingers, and no other keycap feels as satisfying to press.  Maybe it's the hefty weight of the caps? Anyway, I'm back to OEM.  There is certainly no reason to replace the keycaps on the Vortex Poker boards, except for aesthetics. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 02:47:19 »
OEM --> Cherry --> SA -- > Cherry

I wanted to like SA, but in the end it was a bit too tall for my tastes. I'm thinking about trying MT3 next, looks like it might be the right balance between sculpt and height for me.

I'm still on the SA part, but i'm starting to like cherry now, liking the low, stepped profile and the feel of the caps. As long as the switches are lubed and quiet the sound is perfect. I'm really excited to try out MT3, got two sets coming this summer, Susuwatari and Godspeed.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 02:52:58 »
My first mech was a Cherry MX 2.0.  I loved the low keycap profile.  I hated the OEM in comparison.  This led me to the Leopold profile I believe is Step-Sculpture and a preference for PBT.  However after using the Poker 3 caps to replace the generic ones on another 60% board, the Poker 3's OEM became my favorite.  No other profile feels more natural to my fingers, and no other keycap feels as satisfying to press.  Maybe it's the hefty weight of the caps? Anyway, I'm back to OEM.  There is certainly no reason to replace the keycaps on the Vortex Poker boards, except for aesthetics.

Interesting for sure, how you came to love what you hated to start with.
I've used an uniform R3 SA profile on my nightfox for a while now, but now I switched to a stepped cherry set (the Leopold profile I believe) and so far it feels much more comfortable to type on compared to a flat profile.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 04:18:57 »
I've started my mechanical keyboard journey with DCS caps, and liked those a lot on my ErgoDox EZ. I was never a big fan of DSA, nor R3 SA, and prefer non-uniform profiles. However, there's one exception: I like XDA on my ortholinear boards - not on anything else though. The more sculpt, the better, which is why my favourite is the Keyboardio Model01's fully custom sculpted profile. The keycap selection is obviously low, but all I need are blanks anyway.

As far as non-uniform profiles are concerned, I've tried OEM/Cherry, but found them inferior to both DCS and SA, the only keyboard I have OEM caps for is one I don't even use, just have it for show. For non-orthos, I have DCS or SA caps (and I'll be replacing DCS with SA once my wallet - and my wife - permits). The thing I like about SA is that they're higher than DCS, and have a slightly bigger surface area. I like big surface areas, and wouldn't mind something that's the height of SA, is sculpted, with larger areas for my fingertips. Something like the Model01's custom sculpt, but for MX switches. I'd love to try MT3, but I'm only buying blanks, and never again from Massdrop, so sadly I have not tried the profile yet.

This is the reason I like XDA for my orthos too: they're bigger than DSA. For orthos, I prefer a uniform profile, as all my orthos are one-piece, and I found sculpted to be best when tented & tilted on a split keyboard.

I have yet to try a keyboard with keyboard wells - I currently think I'd use an XDA set there, but you never know 'till you try.

Anyhow! I started with sculpted, and ended up with even more sculpting on most of my boards. The single uniform profile I like is XDA.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 04:24:03 »
The older I am, the higher keycaps I prefer.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 08:11:56 »
Big fan of OEM and Modern SA, myself.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 02:59:35 »
Big fan of OEM and Modern SA, myself.
Modern SA ? is that uniform R3 profile?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 05:45:48 »
I am pretty sure it started out with me being all about the SA caps.
I'm currently on a DSA set and I love it, so I'll be sticking with that for now I think.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 06:41:11 »
I'm currently on a DSA set and I love it, so I'll be sticking with that for now I think.
Interesting! what DSA set is that, and on what board?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 07:10:36 »
It's the KBD8X.
Believe it or not I bought some cheapish DSA keyset from KBDfans as well and that's what I am using.
Definitely budget-board if you compare it to some of the other ones out there. But it does all I want it to and I am very happy with the switches. (67g V1 Zealio's)

I just found out today that R1 KBD8X PCB's are out of stock. I never got around to asking if they're going to restock, but I had hoped to build a 2nd board with some other switches that I could then switch out.
Alas that won't happen now unless I can find a PCB elsewhere.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 08:08:19 »
Cherry.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline rudeboy

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 10:50:24 »
OEM rules all in my opinion. Can't beat that classic height / feel. I personally can't stand DSA's but they do look fitting for certain builds for sure, I just can't imagine how someone could enjoy using that to type on daily.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 14:33:42 »
Cherry is my preferred, because it's closer to the keyboard than OEM, which is a little too tall at times.

OEM and Cherry are both better than flat profiles like DSA,  because Flat profile feels very unnatural when striking the keys. The slope definitely helps smooth out the strokes.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:04:35 »
It's the KBD8X.
Believe it or not I bought some cheapish DSA keyset from KBDfans as well and that's what I am using.
Definitely budget-board if you compare it to some of the other ones out there. But it does all I want it to and I am very happy with the switches. (67g V1 Zealio's)

I just found out today that R1 KBD8X PCB's are out of stock. I never got around to asking if they're going to restock, but I had hoped to build a 2nd board with some other switches that I could then switch out.
Alas that won't happen now unless I can find a PCB elsewhere.
wow, i havent seen that one to be honest. looks really gorgeous.
I also have a DSA set from KBDfans, a blue/white full set, it was the first keycap set i got! :) I'm too nostalgic about it to sell it. Might use it one day, you never know.
Zealios are so pleasantly tactile, particularly unlubed, sounds like a great build.

I feel TKL kits are really hard to come by, ended up getting the XD87 for a build for my friend, quite happy with it.

Offline Lucien Midnight

• Ridkey Studio Keycaps
    • Ridkey Studio Order Form
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 16:34:43 »
Went from Poker II to a set of Ducky PBT caps, then got a 40% Ortho kit and paired with DSA caps which I currently hate. Next up was MDA on an XD75re. I ordered SP Ice Caps for a uniform r3 SA profile to see if I like it and for aesthetics. I like the MDA profile alright. Maybe will try Cherry next.  :cool:

Offline mattlach

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:11:18 »
Could someone explain the differences between these, SA, OEM, Cherry DSA, etc?
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 February 2019, 12:44:56 by mattlach »
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline dexie

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 01:23:05 »
Could someone explain the differences between these, SA, OEM, Cherry DSA, erätc?
ISO Life

Offline mattlach

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 12:44:17 »
Could someone explain the differences between these, SA, OEM, Cherry DSA, erätc?
Show Image

Interesting, thank you.   Been using Model M's for so long that I know very little about the world of MX compatible keycaps.  (I wonder which of these are closest to my M's)

So typically, all OEM caps have pretty much the same style?  I have typed on some Ducky One 2 OEM PBT caps and I thought they felt very nice, but that's about my only experience with MX style switches.

I have a couple of Ducky boards arriving (one with MX greens and one with tactile MX clears) I intend to play around with.   I guess now is about time to get up to speed on the keycap alternatives.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 February 2019, 19:23:30 by mattlach »
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 16:46:56 »
SA was destiny for me, so was GMK, so I can choose from either when a drop hits... Super pissed I fell asleep for sa danger zone, literally fell asleep with danger zone in my cart with my phone on my chest and bam, drop ended, no keycaps for one of the best looking kits ever produced imo..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 02:49:47 »

Interesting, thank you.   Been using Model M's for so long that I know very little about the world of MX compatible keycaps.  (I wonder which of these are closest to my M's)

So typically, all OEM caps have pretty much the same style?  I have typed on some Ducky One 2 OEM PBT caps and I thought they felt very nice, but that's about my only experience with MX style switches.

I have a couple of Ducky boards arriving (one with MX greens and one with tactile MX clears) I intend to play around with.   I guess now is about time to get up to speed on the keycap alternatives.

Yeah, Model M's pretty close to cherry I believe, probably with a curved backplate, with a cylindrical top (SA, DSA and MT3 etc all have a spherical top)
Keycaps is a super fun world to delve in. Some sets are more pricey than others, in my understanding, GMK is usuaully the priciest, depending on the set of course.

I have not tried either greens nor clears, but I've been wanting to try the latter for a long time. I hear they are very pleasant! Good luck!!

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 02:53:06 »
SA was destiny for me, so was GMK, so I can choose from either when a drop hits... Super pissed I fell asleep for sa danger zone, literally fell asleep with danger zone in my cart with my phone on my chest and bam, drop ended, no keycaps for one of the best looking kits ever produced imo..
Oh boy.

I even requested that one, but when the drop arrived, I've already ordered three other SA sets...
gorgeous colors in the Danger Zone. Think you might be able to find it on mechmarket for a fair price, since this is the second drop I believe.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 05:27:28 »
Isn't it more fun to have a bunch of keebs with different profiles, switches, key finishes, case designs, theme songs, etc., and enjoy typing on all of them? Why fixate on just one sort of anything?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 10:56:01 »
I can sill type fastest on Cherry profile but the more I get into this hobby, the more I've started liking just about every profile with the mild exception of XDA. I've also found my preference of the profile depends on the switches I pair with it.

For instance, high, spherical profiles like SA and MT3 seem to give my fingers more leverage and therefor they can be paired with a stiffer spring like Cherry MX Black or an equivalent.

With something like DSA where it's relatively flat and my fingers don't feel like they get as much leverage, I prefer a lighter linear switch like Gateron Yellows, Tangerines, Matcha, etc.

With Cherry can go with just about anything as it seems to be the most versatile.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 02:13:51 »
Isn't it more fun to have a bunch of keebs with different profiles, switches, key finishes, case designs, theme songs, etc., and enjoy typing on all of them? Why fixate on just one sort of anything?
Definitely! I'm not planning on ruling out a certain profile and ending up with just one profile! It's just interesting to hear what other people prefer  ;D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 04:40:06 »
My favourite keycap profile is Topre, but I use Cherry MX keyboards.

The other profile that is closest to Topre's would be Signature Plastics DCS, but it has thinner walls and is not compatible with O-rings or other silencing mods. Long ago I had been promised inexpensive blank ISO sets in DCS profile but that never materialised. So I use blank ISO sets in thick Cherry profile instead, and those are all PBT and are probably cheaper than the DCS sets would have been anyway.

Offline Wood_Cables

• Wood/Cables
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 09:47:51 »
I started with a WASD board, using their caps which I'm pretty sure were OEM or Cherry. Then went to XDA and immediately loved those. Finally I got a grab bag of random SA's, kind of never looked back after that.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 02:05:46 »
I started with a WASD board, using their caps which I'm pretty sure were OEM or Cherry. Then went to XDA and immediately loved those. Finally I got a grab bag of random SA's, kind of never looked back after that.
SA is so nice and thick. I don't see myself going back to DSA or XDA from SA at least.

Think I'll like GMK once I try it out though

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 07:37:01 »
Originally started with an old Model M.  Moved to some DSA caps after that and now I'm currently using SA (the last pulse drop that went through MD).  Definitely eyeing GMK for a 60% I'm planning.  We'll see what happens when I finally pull the trigger.

Oh, for a little bit at work I was using a Varmilo tkl.  Do those use OEM or Cherry?  So far I've liked the Varmilo caps the best which is probably why I went with SA with my new work board.  My board at home is still DSA tho a different set (and board fwiw) than what I started on.

Offline Lucien Midnight

• Ridkey Studio Keycaps
    • Ridkey Studio Order Form
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:49:59 »
Just reporting back that I got my SA Ice Caps and they just feel absolutely wonderful. Using on two different ortho boards at home and at work.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 04:54:57 »
Just reporting back that I got my SA Ice Caps and they just feel absolutely wonderful. Using on two different ortho boards at home and at work.
I know, it's hard to let it go once you try it!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 07:08:33 »
Not very well.. still waiting for the g20 and flat keycaps stock from signature plastics to come in. Everybody downvoted me for liking flat keycaps. I just can’t seem to find completely flat keycaps anywhere but I’m supposing that DSA keycaps will work just fine.

Offline mta

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 12:56:41 »
I started out with OEM, thought it was fine.

Moved onto Cherry and DSA at roughly the same time. Liked Cherry, but was iffy on DSA.

Moved onto SA (Nuclear Data, which I believe is uniform R3) and really enjoyed how it felt and sounded.

Haven't tried XDA yet but I've got XDA Melon on the way eventually so I'll be able to try that out then.

I don't know if I prefer one over the other so much as it's just fun to have a variety depending on the mood.

DSA though I'd rank slightly lower... it feels like you're typing on tiny little islands -- kind of a weird sensation. Maybe it'll grow on me but it's certainly an acquired taste, if anything!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:28:46 »
Show Image

The apple profile looks really cool. It looks like the ibm caps lock. Still don't understand why people like those kinds.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:41:16 »
Not very well.. still waiting for the g20 and flat keycaps stock from signature plastics to come in. Everybody downvoted me for liking flat keycaps. I just can’t seem to find completely flat keycaps anywhere but I’m supposing that DSA keycaps will work just fine.

I really hate flat profile keycaps. Your hands need to move much more. I only noticed it when I first tried a cheery g80-3850 cylindrical and uniform profile. Nice keeb but unusable keys.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:42:21 »

Is it uniform or sculpted?

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 05:12:01 »
To be honest, since making this post, I've grown more towards cherry and cylindrical keycaps. Comparing an SA R3 kit to a PBT cherry set, I love the feel and the sound much more.
 I'm going to try out two GMK sets now, so I might even end up selling the two MT3 sets I'm getting this summer  :-X

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 05:39:26 »
Typing slanted is just not comfortable for me. I would say cherry profile and g20 + dna profile would be best.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 11:35:41 »
I think OEM is a nice neutral profile for everyday use. Cherry profile is my least favorite because the dishing is too deep making the edges feel sharp, even on non-homing keys.

I like DSA and SA quite a bit; I prefer spherical caps overall because of the lack of sharp edges. My only issue with sculpted SA is that row 1 is so angled that every keypress feels like an off-center, causing a weird catching tactile feeling.

It depends on the switch type too. In general, SA sounds and feels better on heavy clicky and tactile switches because it attenuates the harshness of the click/tactile event while DSA feels better on lighter tactile switches. I think OEM is best on linear switches overall. From my limited experience, MT3 seems to be good on both medium weight linear and tactile.

SA is utterly exhausting on heavy linears.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 18:51:13 »
I think OEM is a nice neutral profile for everyday use. Cherry profile is my least favorite because the dishing is too deep making the edges feel sharp, even on non-homing keys.

Uh, I'm literally looking at some OEM and Cherry keycaps right in front of me as I type this.  And I'm virtually certain that the dishes are deeper on the OEM caps than the Cherry caps...

Cherry profile has rather shallow dishes.