Author Topic: How's your preferred keycap profile progressed?  (Read 21006 times)

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
Re: How's your preferred keycap profile progressed?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 05:45:53 »
I think OEM is a nice neutral profile for everyday use. Cherry profile is my least favorite because the dishing is too deep making the edges feel sharp, even on non-homing keys.

I like DSA and SA quite a bit; I prefer spherical caps overall because of the lack of sharp edges. My only issue with sculpted SA is that row 1 is so angled that every keypress feels like an off-center, causing a weird catching tactile feeling.

It depends on the switch type too. In general, SA sounds and feels better on heavy clicky and tactile switches because it attenuates the harshness of the click/tactile event while DSA feels better on lighter tactile switches. I think OEM is best on linear switches overall. From my limited experience, MT3 seems to be good on both medium weight linear and tactile.

SA is utterly exhausting on heavy linears.
I agree, it depends a lot on the switches. SA is great with heavy tactiles yes, gives such a nice thock sound. Linear switches are extra smooth with Cherry (only caps i've tried it with) compared to SA, but DSA is pretty smooth with linears as well.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 05:57:45 »
If I didn't say this already, Leopold step culture 2 is the best then stock hhkb caps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 06:00:46 »
As far as flat profiles go, XDA is a comfortable favourite. Nice feel, plenty of high quality dye-sub PBT options out there from various manufacturers, and of course there is XDA Canvas. DSA isn't too far off - it's more of an aesthetic preference than a drastically different typing experience. Others like G20 and SA (all R3) are pretty annoying to type on by comparison.

As for sculpted profiles, it isn't even close. MT3 by a mile. It frustrates in a way me since (mass)drop own the only manufacturing moulds for it but it's so much nicer to type on than anything else. I haven't tried KAT yet and have a couple kits on the way but I can't see any way it could improve on MT3. Pretty much the only thing that would make me temporarily overlook (mass)drop's garbage one last time would be a good BoW MT3 set (or maybe MT3 Terminal... but even then I'd probably just wait for aftermarket sales).

Offline mode

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 00:51:40 »
I realised I don't really care and just go with aesthetics, so I type on SA for my daily driver.

I've typed on OEM, Cherry, SA, AEK, any time I change my typing suffers for a bit then I get used to it. I do like a wrist rest for tall profiles like SA though so pausing to rest doesn't feel so awkward. SA is better at a somewhat steeper angle, it's a profile that really benefits from having options in your keyboard feet.

Floating hands typing makes profile mostly moot imo.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2020, 00:53:34 by mode »

Offline Kiyoshi_NYC

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:22:57 »
 :eek: First post ever...

I care deeply about profiles!
I tried OEM, Cherry, DSA, DCS, XDA, SA, KAT, KAM, MT3, Apple Extended Keyboard profile, and Alps.
I have not yet tried Apple IIGS, HSA (half SA), or NP (Novel Pro).

Without a doubt, sculpted profiles are better for typing.

• I prefer Apple Extended Keyboard Profile and Cherry for every single key except for the Function keys and the Space Bar.
  • For Function keys, I like SA!
  • For Space Bar, I like OEM, as I only use my thumb for the space bar, and never use my thumb to hit z/x/c/v/b/n/m/,/. keys. OEM is slightly taller, so easier to hit.

I've used a lot of wooden/walnut keys, but they are only available in OEM, like so many sets. I've decided to only look for Cherry.
I only use AKEII keys on all my Alps boards, but since AEKII modifiers are weird sizes, and Apple has a weird space bar size, I mix/match when I have to.

I would like to think that Apple IIGS, HSA (half SA), and NP (Novel Pro) could be my new favorites, but they are so hard to get.
TLDR: Sculpted is the way to go, in my opinion! And, as OEM and SA is too tall, try Cherry or HSA! For Alps, try AEKII keys  :thumb:

https://i.imgur.com/t3l0lrF.jpg is HSA.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:25:18 by Kiyoshi_NYC »

Offline mode

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:34:47 »
Comfort: AEK>Cherry>DCS>OEM>SA

I'm honestly totally fine with all of them though, I rank them by how quickly I get used to them, AEK and cherry are pretty much instant comfortable workflow keycaps, whatever I was used to before using them. AEK is still clearly my favourite profile for comfort, cherry is just totally inoffensive, but I love AEK profile.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:36:44 by mode »

Offline Kiyoshi_NYC

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 17:08:15 »
Comfort: AEK>Cherry>DCS>OEM>SA

I'm honestly totally fine with all of them though, I rank them by how quickly I get used to them, AEK and cherry are pretty much instant comfortable workflow keycaps, whatever I was used to before using them. AEK is still clearly my favourite profile for comfort, cherry is just totally inoffensive, but I love AEK profile.

Agreed!
I would do anything to learn how to mod ALPS stem into CHERRY MX stem, so I could use AEKII keycaps with my other boards.
I am thinking of using an X-Acto knife to force my AEKII space bar from a 6.0U to a 6.25 size.
(there is nobody selling ALPS space bar in 6.25 size, with this profile)

I think the sculpted-ness of AEKII is okay, but where it really shines* is the very slight cylindrical curve. It's a little less aggressive than Cherry, and it makes it easier to type on.
*AEKII are all PBT (no shine), but the space bar is actually ABS.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 17:23:50 »
G20 has mostly been discontinued. ):

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 17:30:06 »
My first mechs were all Corsair K70s, so I was most familiar with OEM keycaps. When I switched to Vortex, I got used to flat profiles, since they use DSA and their own VSA profiles. I moved on to ortho boards and splits and with that I ended up using DSA a lot since it's just easier than a sculpted profile.

Now I'm back on staggered boards, I'm finding Cherry just fine. Perfectly pleasant to type on, though having to worry about which row a 1U key will sit is obviously a pain, hehe.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline mode

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 01:08:20 »
Agreed!
I would do anything to learn how to mod ALPS stem into CHERRY MX stem, so I could use AEKII keycaps with my other boards.
I am thinking of using an X-Acto knife to force my AEKII space bar from a 6.0U to a 6.25 size.
(there is nobody selling ALPS space bar in 6.25 size, with this profile)

I think the sculpted-ness of AEKII is okay, but where it really shines* is the very slight cylindrical curve. It's a little less aggressive than Cherry, and it makes it easier to type on.
*AEKII are all PBT (no shine), but the space bar is actually ABS.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

This blows my mind as an alps fan, The only thing I find frustrating about AEK keycaps is that there never was a normal ISO set, just the 0.25u shifted AEKII ISO and skinny enter M0118. I exclusively type on alps though, got rid of all of my cherry boards.

Offline jamster

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 01:25:50 »
Mine has progressed from spherical on terminals decades ago, to cherry and OEM and stayed there. Tried spherical Sa and DSA) again this decade, and found it very unpleasant. Especially the high SA profile.

As a friend put it "in reminds me of the old University keyboards, not sure why I'd would want to go back to that"

Offline CarnageHimura

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 14:11:49 »
I really wanted to try SA profile keycaps, but the more I read, the more people with good reasons to not do it I found, at this time, SA profile, to me, look's like something only for aesthetics.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 July 2020, 14:19:57 by CarnageHimura »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 14:14:16 »
cherry or topre oem profile. everything else just feels bad to me.

Offline rhubarbpi

• ALPS ORANGIQUE / SALMONIQUE
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 10:22:29 »
:eek: First post ever...

I care deeply about profiles!
I tried OEM, Cherry, DSA, DCS, XDA, SA, KAT, KAM, MT3, Apple Extended Keyboard profile, and Alps.
I have not yet tried Apple IIGS, HSA (half SA), or NP (Novel Pro).

Without a doubt, sculpted profiles are better for typing.

• I prefer Apple Extended Keyboard Profile and Cherry for every single key except for the Function keys and the Space Bar.
  • For Function keys, I like SA!
  • For Space Bar, I like OEM, as I only use my thumb for the space bar, and never use my thumb to hit z/x/c/v/b/n/m/,/. keys. OEM is slightly taller, so easier to hit.

I've used a lot of wooden/walnut keys, but they are only available in OEM, like so many sets. I've decided to only look for Cherry.
I only use AKEII keys on all my Alps boards, but since AEKII modifiers are weird sizes, and Apple has a weird space bar size, I mix/match when I have to.

I would like to think that Apple IIGS, HSA (half SA), and NP (Novel Pro) could be my new favorites, but they are so hard to get.
TLDR: Sculpted is the way to go, in my opinion! And, as OEM and SA is too tall, try Cherry or HSA! For Alps, try AEKII keys  :thumb:

https://i.imgur.com/t3l0lrF.jpg is HSA.

I've gone from OEM to Cherry to OEM Cubic (Tai Hao) and now over to AEK & IIgs.

As the AEK & IIgs are my daily drivers, I have to say that both are DELECTABLE in terms of profile feel.
The stepped PBT's on the IIgs make for a slightly higher curve than the AEK, and make for a more tactile grip on the keycaps due to the stepped cap.

That being said, AEK feels slightly more comfortable as its slightly more recessed into the frame.
Also arguably smoother keycap feel with the non-stepped caps.
*daily drivers*

Apple AEK - #{Alps Orange}
Apple M0116 - #{Alps Salmon}
Apple M0110A - #{Alps Tall Cream}
Apple AEKII - #{Alps Dampened Cream}
Apple IIgs - #{Alps Orange}

- all powered by tinkerBoy Converters :D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:27:15 »
I really wanted to try SA profile keycaps, but the more I read, the more people with good reasons to not do it I found, at this time, SA profile, to me, look's like something only for aesthetics.

I am one of the few who actually likes SA profile for typing. They are best with heavy clicky, very tactile switches, or light linears. Light clicky or light tactile aren't great with SA in my experience.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline w9gfo

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 16:39:40 »
I used many different profiles and board types, and now started to like low profile keyboards with low profile keycaps, feels like now my wrists are never getting tired [=

Offline mode

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 01:34:11 »
I like SA, it's entirely possible to get used to it and enjoy typing on it, it just absolutely has an adjustment period. If you like the aesthetic definitely go for it, just expect to get used to it.

I've been swapping boards every few days while working from home, and this has been more of an issue than it usually is, I used my SA board as my main work keyboard for months last year.

Offline rhubarbpi

• ALPS ORANGIQUE / SALMONIQUE
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 15:55:21 »
I like SA, it's entirely possible to get used to it and enjoy typing on it, it just absolutely has an adjustment period. If you like the aesthetic definitely go for it, just expect to get used to it.

I've been swapping boards every few days while working from home, and this has been more of an issue than it usually is, I used my SA board as my main work keyboard for months last year.

I think theres a correlation between the adjustment period for both DSA and SA :

DSA being so flat that it actually works different arm muscle groups lol
SA being so tall that it works the tendons of your fingers differently from the height, possibly requires wrist rest for your set up lol

Both being fairly polarizing.
That being said, DSA as a typist is a no go.
SA are much better of an experience, at least to me.
*daily drivers*

Apple AEK - #{Alps Orange}
Apple M0116 - #{Alps Salmon}
Apple M0110A - #{Alps Tall Cream}
Apple AEKII - #{Alps Dampened Cream}
Apple IIgs - #{Alps Orange}

- all powered by tinkerBoy Converters :D

Offline mode

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 16:33:37 »
I’ve not tried DSA or any uniprofile other than flat modern apple keyboards, but yeah, a wrist rest is a must for SA. I also prefer a steeper typing angle than other profiles.