Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2449286 times)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6200 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 17:42:05 »
It has been at least a couple of years since I found an excellent keyboard for a cheap price in the wild, but today I got an absolutely pristine AEK2 in a salvage shop for $3.99

This one is utterly immaculate and not yellowed at all whatsoever, a later model with dampened whites instead of creams.

It is exquisite to type on, but I had forgotten how absolutely infuriating it is to have the stupid Apple/Windows/Command keys on either side of the space bar rather than the Alts. I have mapped many favorite short cuts to Cntrl+Alt+something and having Alt in the wrong place is making me crazy.

I know that I could jump through hoops and re-map the keys, but even then then the Alts ("option") are 1.25u while the Apples ("command") are 1.5u so they won't even swap! Aarrrgghh!

You could just write up a quick script on AutoHotkey and remap those instead of having to swap keycaps, which you can't as you mentioned.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6201 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 21:25:15 »
@fohat.digs - congrats on the find. back in the day i had a 1990 cream dampened, in the last year i picked up one, this one from 1995 and has the white dampened (bamboo) like you mention.

Legends not matching... that's why i went blank caps years ago. it's more about muscle memory than what's actually on the caps.

Something to note... most of apple boards did not differentiate (electrically) between at least the command key if not all of the standard modifiers. meaning, no way to differentiate between left & right command keys as they are literally wired as the same switch. you'd have to cut traces and pretty much replace the internal controller to have them do different things. (not positive the 1995 AEKII is like this, but pretty sure it is)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6202 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 21:27:01 »
Picked up some of the blank XDA caps from Massdrop Drop today.  Not sure what I'll use them on.  Just couldn't turn down Alps keycaps.

https://drop.com/buy/omo-blank-pbt-alps-keycap-set?utm_source=linkshare&referer=YBADZG
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2019, 12:37:27 by pixelpusher »

Offline nevin

« Reply #6203 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 22:19:10 »
yep. just joined that one the other day.
never tried XDA.... and these are thick blank alps for cheap, couldn't say no. i spent more for aprox. 70 blank keys from ali-x-press.
i'd like to do an alps version of my viterbi & these would be a good candidate. (or possibly dactyl, but not sure if XDA is too square/wide to concave that much)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #6204 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 11:10:39 »
Hi Alps fans! Sliding up in this thread to ask some advice. I have an Alps64 and bought a cheap AEK II off eBay to harvest switches/keycaps from. I tried to find an AEK with orange or salmon Alps, but there aren't many out there and they are a lot more expensive. Since I've seen the damped Alps reviewed favorably, including by Chyrosran22, I decided to give them a shot. The board, as expected, was dusty and grimy. But what surprised me was that they aren't cream damped but white damped, i.e. the kind without the slits. Disappointing, but even worse was the terrible scratchy feel of the key press. I took apart a few switches, soaked them in Bottle Bright, and lubed them with dry Teflon lube spray. Now they are smoother, but I still kind of hate the feel. It's hard to describe why, but they just feel sort of cheap and almost linear.
My questions to you all are: is there anything else these switches need to get them back into perfect shape? Or do I just accept that these suck and try to source different switches? If the latter, which switches do you recommend? For reference, I favor light tactile switches such as Topre 45g, KBD T1s, and Aliaz 60s. The quieter the better, since I work in a shared office, but priority is the key feel and clean sound. Thanks in advance!

Offline nevin

« Reply #6205 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 11:47:42 »
@swedishpiehole - have you tried the matias quiet click? they are dampened simplified alps. switches would be new, so no worries there on condition of switch. and reasonably priced compared to most MX.

white/cream dampened are a little heavier than your preference as well. (aprox. 70g if i remember right) this can be solved with lighter springs. either harvested from lighter alps switches or sprit alps springs (aftermarket, you pick the weight)

also, don't just soak them. use soap, water, toothbrush, qtips, etc... and scrub the crap out of them. be delicate with the rubber bumpers as these may have started to degrade over time.

dampened is about the only option you have for active "quieting" (either vintage alps or matias).

if you want something more tactile without being louder & clicky, check out the switches form the apple adjustable keyboard (Alps SKFS). these are more tactile, usually liberally lubed from factory, so pretty quiet compared to the IIgs keyboard i have (Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard)

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #6206 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 12:30:46 »
@swedishpiehole - have you tried the matias quiet click? they are dampened simplified alps. switches would be new, so no worries there on condition of switch. and reasonably priced compared to most MX.

white/cream dampened are a little heavier than your preference as well. (aprox. 70g if i remember right) this can be solved with lighter springs. either harvested from lighter alps switches or sprit alps springs (aftermarket, you pick the weight)

also, don't just soak them. use soap, water, toothbrush, qtips, etc... and scrub the crap out of them. be delicate with the rubber bumpers as these may have started to degrade over time.

dampened is about the only option you have for active "quieting" (either vintage alps or matias).

if you want something more tactile without being louder & clicky, check out the switches form the apple adjustable keyboard (Alps SKFS). these are more tactile, usually liberally lubed from factory, so pretty quiet compared to the IIgs keyboard i have (Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard)

I considered the Matias ones, but have read some pretty terrible reviews of the Matias boards that have those switches (chattering for example). Perhaps it's not the switches themselves that are the problem? As for the white damped ones, I could clean the sh*t out of them, but honestly it's just sooooo much work on top of all the desoldering and soldering I will need to do.
I checked out the SKFS switches you mentioned, but it looks like they have 4 pins and don't take regular Alps keycaps, so they won't work for my Alps64 build.

Open to more suggestions on Alps64 compatible Alps that have good tactility without being too heavy or too loud!

Offline nevin

« Reply #6207 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 13:06:04 »
@swedishpiehole - sorry, forgot you mentioned the alps64
I could clean the sh*t out of them, but honestly it's just sooooo much work on top of all the desoldering and soldering I will need to do.
...then spend the money on a NOS (new old stock) board, or get matias, or some other NEW clone.

SKFS 4 pins, extra 2 pins only for alignment, as these were typically pcb mount being a low profile/compact switch that was typically the case.

matias - was that the 1st gen stuff? most chatter can be resolved with cleaning (if old) or repetitive presses (oxidation on contacts) or debounce in firmware. being matias new switches, my guess would be the issue is in the firmware and/or new switches not being "broke in" yet. i've seen this a number of times with NOS and old/dirty boards.

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #6208 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 15:56:35 »
@swedishpiehole - sorry, forgot you mentioned the alps64
I could clean the sh*t out of them, but honestly it's just sooooo much work on top of all the desoldering and soldering I will need to do.
...then spend the money on a NOS (new old stock) board, or get matias, or some other NEW clone.
I'm sure that is great advice, but I'm too cheap to invest in NOS and for some reason I feel compelled to experience the original Alps feel I've read so much about so I'm not excited by the idea of Matias switches. So I just bought a vintage Apple M0115 with Salmon Alps on eBay for a somewhat reasonable price ($50 + shipping). I'm prepared to clean the crap out of them and hope to be able to finally understand what the Alps appeal is all about. The board I bought has French layout, so I can clean up the keycaps and probably get my money back by selling them.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6209 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:37:14 »

I'm prepared to clean the crap out of them

Do not start down that trail until you have used them for a while. Do not assume that they are bad because they are old, dirty, or yellow.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #6210 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:57:53 »

Do not start down that trail until you have used them for a while. Do not assume that they are bad because they are old, dirty, or yellow.
OK, noted! I'll test them first of course. Based on my recent experience with damped whites on an AEK that were scratchy and awful I just assumed any Alps on a 30+ year old board would be dirty.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6211 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 22:00:23 »
It has been at least a couple of years since I found an excellent keyboard for a cheap price in the wild, but today I got an absolutely pristine AEK2 in a salvage shop for $3.99

This one is utterly immaculate and not yellowed at all whatsoever, a later model with dampened whites instead of creams.

It is exquisite to type on, but I had forgotten how absolutely infuriating it is to have the stupid Apple/Windows/Command keys on either side of the space bar rather than the Alts. I have mapped many favorite short cuts to Cntrl+Alt+something and having Alt in the wrong place is making me crazy.

I know that I could jump through hoops and re-map the keys, but even then then the Alts ("option") are 1.25u while the Apples ("command") are 1.5u so they won't even swap! Aarrrgghh!

A simpler solution is to just get a Mac :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6212 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 00:30:56 »

OK, noted! I'll test them first of course. Based on my recent experience with damped whites on an AEK that were scratchy and awful I just assumed any Alps on a 30+ year old board would be dirty.
...and at the same time, don't assume all Alps switches suck if you do get a crap one and find that cleaning and lubing doesn't help ;p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #6213 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 11:02:56 »
UGH I'M SO PISSED! After carefully checking all the info at Deskthority about the AEK II and trawling eBay for one that didn't have the "S" in the square on the bottom right of the label, I thought I struck gold on a French Canadian version. The label didn't have the S symbol, so I thought for sure it would have salmons and I bought it. But I forgot to check where it was made, which turns out is Ireland. So it has cream damped. Merde, alors!

On the bright side, unlike the previous AEK II I bought that had white slit-less Alps that felt like utter **** even after cleaning, this one has cream damped with the slit and I have to say, they actually feel quite nice. I have never tried any other Alps switches other than these two, so I don't know how they compare to salmons or oranges or whatever.

Now I need to decide if I will harvest these cream damped for my Alps64 build or whether to resell this AEK II and keep looking for one with salmons or oranges. And if I do decide to harvest these, should I clean them?

P.S. @chyros, I've watched all of your Alps videos and it's your fault I've become obsessed with obtaining Alps nirvana.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #6214 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 13:35:14 »
UGH I'M SO PISSED! After carefully checking all the info at Deskthority about the AEK II and trawling eBay for one that didn't have the "S" in the square on the bottom right of the label, I thought I struck gold on a French Canadian version. The label didn't have the S symbol, so I thought for sure it would have salmons and I bought it. But I forgot to check where it was made, which turns out is Ireland. So it has cream damped. Merde, alors!

On the bright side, unlike the previous AEK II I bought that had white slit-less Alps that felt like utter **** even after cleaning, this one has cream damped with the slit and I have to say, they actually feel quite nice. I have never tried any other Alps switches other than these two, so I don't know how they compare to salmons or oranges or whatever.

Now I need to decide if I will harvest these cream damped for my Alps64 build or whether to resell this AEK II and keep looking for one with salmons or oranges. And if I do decide to harvest these, should I clean them?

P.S. @chyros, I've watched all of your Alps videos and it's your fault I've become obsessed with obtaining Alps nirvana.

Try putting Matias tactile leaves in your damped whites.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6215 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 13:44:04 »
i used to hate dampened cream, but my tastes have evolved over time.  Something about using Zilents and 45g topre made me appreciate the dampened alps switch.  I even like silent linears now.  Weird, I know.  The only thing about any dampened switch is that it draws so much attention to every little flaw in the keyboard b/c you can hear those flaws (squeaks and rattles) so much clearer.

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #6216 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 14:03:30 »
i used to hate dampened cream, but my tastes have evolved over time.  Something about using Zilents and 45g topre made me appreciate the dampened alps switch.  I even like silent linears now.  Weird, I know.  The only thing about any dampened switch is that it draws so much attention to every little flaw in the keyboard b/c you can hear those flaws (squeaks and rattles) so much clearer.
Same here. I started out thinking I preferred clicky switches and evolved to really prefer light tactiles including Zilent, Aliaz, T1, and especially Topre (45g or BKE ultra lights). I have a suspicion that damped Alps might actually be best for me, but I won't be satisfied until I've at least tried some of the more holy grail tactile versions like salmon or orange.

Quote from: abrahamstechnology link=topic=45456.msg2765120#msg2765120 date=1558118114

Try putting Matias tactile leaves in your damped whites.
[/quote
Interesting, though would be quite time consuming. What would this change?

« Reply #6217 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 18:15:11 »

Matias tactile leaves in Alps housings are much more tactile and don't have the scratchy-feeling tactile bump like the late SKCM tactiles had.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6218 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 01:59:23 »

Matias tactile leaves in Alps housings are much more tactile and don't have the scratchy-feeling tactile bump like the late SKCM tactiles had.

To clarify... you're comparing Matias tactile leaves vs, simplified alps tactile leaves?

« Reply #6219 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 21:24:53 »

To clarify... you're comparing Matias tactile leaves vs, simplified alps tactile leaves?

No, the late SKCM blacks and dampened whites without the slots in the top housing. The tactile leaves in those are junk and wear out too fast. Matias switches have a slightly smaller slider than the Alps slider, so the tactile leaf catches on the Alps slider more, creating more tactility.

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #6220 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 15:31:37 »

No, the late SKCM blacks and dampened whites without the slots in the top housing. The tactile leaves in those are junk and wear out too fast. Matias switches have a slightly smaller slider than the Alps slider, so the tactile leaf catches on the Alps slider more, creating more tactility.

Ah, well in that case I don't think there would be any point in getting these for my cream damped ones, because they have slits and feel pretty tactile already. However, I wonder if it's worth trying them with the white damped on my other AEK. When compared to the cream damped, the white damped not only feel less tactile, but they don't make the subtle click sound that the cream ones do.

Offline Gabbzan

« Reply #6221 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 16:08:12 »
recently built this:https://imgur.com/a/hQIVrib with skbm white alps, and im in love, also ordered an aek II with cream damped

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6222 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 13:39:02 »
Interesting. Similar experience here. Although Cherry mx and clones have long been my least favored varieties of switches, I tried v1 Zilents and rather liked them. However, Zilents are still far from the quality feel of Topre.

I have comparatively little experience with damped Alps; most of my Alps-switch or Alps-clone boards have SKCM white or blue switches. However, I do have a KBP V60 with Matias Quiet switches and another V60 with Matias Click switches. The Matias boards are fun, and I like them both, but I tend to type faster and more accurately with Matias Clicks.

Offline AtomicChameleon

« Reply #6223 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 13:05:34 »
I finished my first independent build today. Orange Alps from AEK, Tina-C case and bluetooth. Very nice feeling :)

Hey Wojciech, awesome board! I have been interested in putting together an alps HHKB together recently as well but couldn't find any aluminum ones that supported an alps plate. Even when I look at the Tina on Ali/KBD it looks like it's only for MX. How did you do this? Am I (please tell me I am) mistaken on the Tina being only mx? Would love to hear any details/tips you have on achieving an alps HHKB!

Offline nevin

« Reply #6224 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 13:45:48 »
open source alps plates (HHKB included):
https://github.com/emdude/Alps-60-Keyboard-Plates
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14038&start=#p315230

don't quote me, but a bunch of 60% cases have the same mounting points/stad-offs.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6225 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 10:12:56 »
open source alps plates (HHKB included):
https://github.com/emdude/Alps-60-Keyboard-Plates
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14038&start=#p315230

don't quote me, but a bunch of 60% cases have the same mounting points/stad-offs.

Yeah, all those plates should fit in tray mount cases. I would double check that the stabilizer holes are properly placed before ordering one though.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6226 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 13:12:59 »
All this talk about Alps weight reminds me, how much do Orange and Brown ALPS weigh?

I tried Orange Alps, and it was a life-changing experience. But what is the weight? It's a little heavy for my preference, to be honest.

I also like light tactiles, especially 45 gr. Topre (silenced), Kailh Pro Purples, and I'm trying a wide range of tactiles right now.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6227 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 14:37:32 »
the deskthority wiki is missing weights for those two.

you can always swap in lighter spring.

light tactile... me too.... keep us posted on your findings.

Offline Wojciech

« Reply #6228 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 09:55:25 »
I finished my first independent build today. Orange Alps from AEK, Tina-C case and bluetooth. Very nice feeling :)

Hey Wojciech, awesome board! I have been interested in putting together an alps HHKB together recently as well but couldn't find any aluminum ones that supported an alps plate. Even when I look at the Tina on Ali/KBD it looks like it's only for MX. How did you do this? Am I (please tell me I am) mistaken on the Tina being only mx? Would love to hear any details/tips you have on achieving an alps HHKB!

Hello
Sorry for late reply. I did dxf files for cut by myself. I will post it - one is all Alps stabiliser and one is Alsp stabiliser and cherry stab for spacebar.
Greetings

Offline superbia

« Reply #6229 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 03:09:24 »
I've forgot to share my new keeb.. I need to clean it and take some photos. Typing sound will have to do untill then.
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #6230 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 17:26:06 »
Recently finished this build

Offline nevin

« Reply #6231 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 23:51:42 »
@Darocker098 - very nice.
@superbia - sounds good. dampened cream/white? case? caps?

Offline superbia

« Reply #6232 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 16:55:32 »

Offline nevin

« Reply #6233 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 21:14:58 »
@superbia - ooh, would love to see it. how do you like it so far?

something very similar is next on my wish list.
i currently have a viterbi & love it. would like to try a staggered ortho, but don't want to get too small. ideally, i'd like to keep the 7 columns instead of 5 or 6 and would like to try it in the split dactyl/manuform style.

Offline superbia

« Reply #6234 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 15:54:41 »
@superbia - ooh, would love to see it. how do you like it so far?

something very similar is next on my wish list.
i currently have a viterbi & love it. would like to try a staggered ortho, but don't want to get too small. ideally, i'd like to keep the 7 columns instead of 5 or 6 and would like to try it in the split dactyl/manuform style.

If you are not in a hurry I'd suggest doing some more research and saving money for something like this (it's just safer to get a larger keyboard):
https://github.com/omkbd/ErgoDash

Iris is my first split keyboard and I type and code on it daily and I'm very happy with it. Here's my list of pros and cons:
Pros:
More
  • completely removed my wrist pain (which I had on non-split keyboards)
  • [forced my hands to slightly angle outwards (removing pressure from the carpal tunnels)/li]
    • once configured properly, you don't really need more keys on your keyboard
    • after a handful of months owning it I sometimes still get the urge to just do some speed-test typing (because typing on it feels so good)
Cons:
More
  • it's not an easy build
  • it's not actually as small IRL as it looks on the pictures
  • took me a while to familiarize with the staggered layout before I could comfortably reach 120wpm
  • the Iris can feel like it's hurting you at first, but then you get used to it and it feels normal (you barely notice you are typing)
  • requires a clever layout to utilize all of the keys
  • if you use qwerty (or any basic layout) I am not really sure that you will experience the full ergo sensation

P.S. I had no time to clean it but you get to see it in it's natural habitat (exactly how I use it)

Offline nevin

« Reply #6235 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 17:12:28 »
@superbia - thanks, very nice. i really like keeb.io's stuff, their viterbi is my first split & first ortho and it's great. don't think i'd be happy with a "normal" keyboard again.

yeah, i'll have to revisit a 5x6 layout & see if it's doable. i just really liked that with 5x7s you could keep a normal number row.
i did see the ergo dash the other week but haven't looked into it any further. looks like it might be a good option. alps support! YAY!

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #6236 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 21:51:54 »
These are on their way to E3E and gainsborough
220965-0
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iCcmTJLmYAkHqexK6

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6237 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 22:44:17 »

Offline nevin

« Reply #6238 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 06:17:55 »
@Venatorious - Very nice! What was the source board?

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #6239 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 11:28:44 »

A tandem 6526 board(not sure if I got the numbers right)

There's a lot more alps stuff in my sale thread in the classifieds section.  Click here >  :p https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101142.0;topicseen

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #6240 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 03:24:18 »

There's a lot more alps stuff in my sale thread in the classifieds section.  Click here >  :p https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101142.0;topicseen

You ****ed me up bad with that sale man... Hope you can send to europe  :eek:

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #6241 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 07:13:00 »

So much want.
So little funds.  :( :(
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline keyberzerker

« Reply #6242 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 08:59:27 »
My first post here after being the lurker for more then 3-4 years.

Can you please help me with aprox value on this vintage MCK-142 Pro Ortek .

It is never used completely NOS with packaging, instructions and everything - using white Alps

https://imgur.com/a/CCSWiEL

Thanks guys!  :thumb:

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #6243 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 09:38:17 »
You ****ed me up bad with that sale man... Hope you can send to europe  :eek:

I absolutely can, already replied to your PM!

So much want.
So little funds.  :( :(
Do itttttt  :p

My first post here after being the lurker for more then 3-4 years.

Can you please help me with aprox value on this vintage MCK-142 Pro Ortek .

It is never used completely NOS with packaging, instructions and everything - using white Alps

https://imgur.com/a/CCSWiEL

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks guys!  :thumb:

I'm not an expert on NIB stuff or ISO layouts, but the switches aren't worth much because its white alps. The layout is ISO and not bigass, so that's good news.  I'd say like $150-$250 depending on the person since it has everything, including instructions. 

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6244 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 09:25:48 »
Tomb3ry has an IC with DCS Alps Yuri

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101505.msg2784328

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #6245 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 20:18:04 »
i made this stabilizer insert for those who wish to use Tai Hao spacebar on their DELL At101 with no other modification necessary. i hope at least some of you will find this useful.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3396336

Offline nevin

« Reply #6246 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 22:02:57 »
@pabile - Awesome!

There should be a sticky with a list of parts like these that have been created & some of the files for plates & half plates for alps, along with Delirious's alignment "comb" jig. for PCB mounting SKCL/SKCM alps

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #6247 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 20:04:14 »
thanks, nevin!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6248 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 18:28:29 »
I got my XDA alps set in the mail today from Drop.  I'm really impressed.   I don't have a build yet to put the whole set on, but I put the alphas on my AT101

They are impressively thick.  The sound on my black Alps is a big upgrade from the stock caps.  This XDA set is different than the ones I've had before.  I have the MX 8-bit set and the default set that came with my Kumo board.  These are thicker and different in texture.  They are smooth and very satisfying to the touch.  Also, I might be crazy, but they feel easier to type on.  It's almost like the surface area is slightly smaller than my other XDA sets.  I like this because it leads to less accidental key presses.  The homing keys are nicely scooped and easy to distinguish by touch.  I can't believe these keycaps are so cheap.  It's a great deal.

Now to find something to build with them. 

Offline nevin

« Reply #6249 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 20:56:59 »
Mine came in too. Excited to use them. Might have a chance to play with them this weekend, we'll see....

It's almost like the surface area is slightly smaller than my other XDA sets.
Good to hear, it was one of my concerns about trying a uniform profile keyset. But they're alps and blank, so i had to get them.

I've used blank caps for years and finally type without looking at all. A lot of times i rest my fingers in-between caps instead of ON certain caps (home row) and use the "steps" between rows (OEM or Cherry profile) to help orient myself. We'll see how it goes with a uniform profile. I think it's more about muscle memory of the location of the caps then what profile they are though.