Author Topic: How to reduce space bar noise?  (Read 45209 times)

Offline spdx

How to reduce space bar noise?
« on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 16:56:21 »
I was using a Filco FKB104M/EB brown MX switch keyboard. The noise caused by tapping the space bar annoyed one of my colleagues. I tried dental band approach by it didn't work out very well for space bar. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks

Offline RiGS

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 16:59:54 »
You'd better find a new job.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline ieatfish

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:42:59 »
Tell them that when they stop doing [insert their annoying tendency that they can't/won't change] you will stop doing your job and typing on your keyboard.

I recently moved to a keyboard with browns and I am scared to think what your coworker would do if you had blue switches.

Offline dep

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:57:03 »
I've been looking for a good mech board but all the ones I'm interested in are allegedly too stiff (blacks) or obnoxiously loud (everything else). Emphasis on obnoxious because there is no reason for keys to make that much god damn noise. LISTEN TO ME TYPE I AM SO GOD DAMNED IMPORTANT, LISTEN!!!!!

Offline ieatfish

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:58:59 »
It would be an interesting test to adhere a layer of felt on the plastic below the keys and see how much it dampens the sound.

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:59:08 »
Browns might work (still moderately loud), but honestly, you might like Cherry MX Reds, insofar as they're linear and quiet like Blacks, but are much lighter in action.

Of course, they're also notoriously hard to come by in parts of the world. . .
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 23:06:55 »
Cough every time you hit the spacebar. Not only will this mask the noise from the spacebar, but it'll piss off everyone in your work place so colonel complain a lot won't feel so bad that he's the only one annoyed by your typing.

Alternatively, shout swear words instead of coughing. Hiss like a pissed off cat whenever anybody approaches your desk and piss on the plant in the hall to mark your territory.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 23:31:15 »
File a sexual harassment complaint against this person. Just say something like, "the way he/she was looking at me and talking about my 'spacebar' seemed really inappropriate and made me uncomfortable.  I'd like to limit my contact with this person from fear of further harassment and/or retaliation for filing this complaint."

Problem solved. Now go buy a Model F and enjoy your ability to type uninterrupted. ;)
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline TurboDance

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 23:34:09 »
Quote from: ieatfish;303939
It would be an interesting test to adhere a layer of felt on the plastic below the keys and see how much it dampens the sound.

I'm considering a purchase of a Cherry brown tenkeyless from Armygroup right now, and if I go for it, I might just have enough excitement in me to spend a night attempting to modify it in this way. I'm often on my computer all day doing sales and will be using mine on the phone, so I've got enough reason to try at least. I personally have always hated these rubber dome keyboards and have only recently seen the light that there is a better path.

I may be doing a review on the board I get, and if I do the modification I will try to post it for the world to laugh at with my horrifying do it yourself abilities in action. Hopefully it works.

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 23:34:38 »
Buy a model M. Wear this expression all the time while typing...

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 04:41:14 »
Are you talking about the rattle from not necessarily pressing the spacebar, but by merely tapping its surface? If so, it's because of the (holes of the) stabilizers not being snug up against the stabilizing wire. The wiggle room lets the keycap bounce around.

Of course, it's been so long since I've used the OEM stabilizer. I use a paperclip. Yep. I've removed the rattle by slicing short lengths of thin heatshrink tubing lengthwise (to form C's rather than O's), to slip onto the stabilizers. That 1x tubing wall thickness snugs up a paperclip. I don't know about the original stabilizer wire, as it may be too thick. Maybe an even more careful application of tape would work.

Alternatively, or additionally, you can slather on a generous amount of thick grease onto the stabilizer holes.

Yeah, see, I'm not alone in sharing the opinion that mechanical keyboards are loud, even the quiet ones. The quickest way to dampen the sound is to type with a towel over your hands and keyboard. And get your coworker some closed-design headphones. Maybe even upgrade the fan in your computer to compete, noisewise.

If it's only the spacebar, maybe you can get away with swapping out the switch. Maybe an MX Black.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2011, 04:47:56 by nanu »

Offline RiGS

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 06:07:39 »
Do you have a rattly spacebar? Maybe this is responsible for the spacebar noise.

Offline BartVB

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 06:25:12 »
I just put two pieces of packing foam in the spacebar. This seems to significantly improve the 'accoustics' of this key. My main gripe was with the sound that the spacebar makes when it returns after being tapped. Much quieter now and this was 2 minutes of work :)

The foam was from a little box that contained a USB thumbdrive:

Don't have a picture of the innards of the spacebar but it was easy, just cut out two bars and make sure you keep the center 2 cm free to leave some room for the stabilizer.

I do need to figure out what exactly nanu is talking about :) Having a quieter board would be nice...

Offline RiGS

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 06:29:31 »
Nice job!
You should probably look for a low-noise Realforce model, or mod the original one with a rubber ring.

Offline spdx

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 12:35:00 »
Quote from: RiGS;304072
Do you have a rattly spacebar? Maybe this is responsible for the spacebar noise.

Nope. The spacebar is doing good in its place. This could be a common issue for keyboards that click/clack noise level: spacebar > enter, shift, backspace > alpha/numerical keys.

Offline spdx

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 13:34:51 »
Quote from: RiGS;304084
You should probably look for a low-noise Realforce model, or mod the original one with a rubber ring.

Bought a 86UB recently.  It's a high quality keyboard. However, I really miss the feeling of typing and rolling on MX brown switches.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 00:08:33 »

Comes to mind every time I see a spdx post.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline pitashen

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 02:52:13 »
i just stick a couple of pieces of Blue-Tacks under the space bar to damp out the clacky sound
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 03:30:15 »
What you need is a Model M and a set of earplugs. Works for me with my SIIG MiniTouch in the library at uni.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 05:05:28 »
Quote from: spdx;304377
Bought a 86UB recently.  It's a high quality keyboard. However, I really miss the feeling of typing and rolling on MX brown switches.

Give it some time.

Offline Tony

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 04:42:28 »
Brown is very quiet, so you should bring a model M and annoy your colleagues like hell  for a week.

After that, they will be happy and grateful when you bring back your brown.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline spdx

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 05:42:59 »
Guess there are three factors contributing to the noise:
1. The rattling stabilizer mechanism in Filco key caps: spacebar, enter, backspace...etc.
2. The acoustics due to shape (or volume)  of those key caps
3. The force tapped on these keys is usually by powerful fingers.

While editing document, spacebar, enter and backspace are frequently tapped a couple times in a row, the noise level is more significant than typing regular content on alpha/numerical keys.

Yesterday afternoon, I received a G81-1800 and found tapping on its spacebar is pretty quiet. I'm wondering if it could have a better stabilizer design comparing to Filco's.

Offline spdx

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 05:45:05 »
Quote from: Oqsy;306648
Show Image

Comes to mind every time I see a spdx post.

:rofl:  good one

Offline spdx

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 05:53:17 »
Quote from: Tony;307472
Brown is very quiet, so you should bring a model M and annoy your colleagues like hell  for a week.

After that, they will be happy and grateful when you bring back your brown.

After the issue was raised to senior managers, I need to give up brown cherry at work. Too bad, the switch seems to work best for me. I hope Filco could improve the spacebar stabilizer design and make it as quiet as or quieter than G81-1800's.

Offline Tony

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 05:57:35 »
Wow too bad. I am using a Filco brown at work and no one seemed to notice. Last week I brought a Filco blue and no one noticed either.

What is your profession then?
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:18:30 »
Here's another great mod for your sound sensitive colleague

Stage 1: Ear plugs can either be on you or on him.

Stage 2: Pacifier - Should keep him quiet for a while

Stage 3: Medication - Better effect combined with a shrink
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline spdx

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:19:03 »
I used to have a model M at work for two years and had no problems. Filco brown cherry had worked for me more than a year without complains from anyone until recently. As an engineer, I'm interested in resolving problems and  it seems to be pretty challenging this time.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 07:02:43 »
Quote from: spdx;307503
As an engineer, I'm interested in resolving problems and  it seems to be pretty challenging this time.

(...)

"Guess there are three factors contributing to the noise:
1. The rattling stabilizer mechanism in Filco key caps: spacebar, enter, backspace...etc.
2. The acoustics due to shape (or volume) of those key caps
3. The force tapped on these keys is usually by powerful fingers."

To add to your challenge, I see one more factor that might contribute to the sound level.

The switches on that filco are mounted on a metal plate.
The spacebar is probably the heaviest key, thus packing the biggest punch on the plate when
it returns to its upper position.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2011, 07:05:22 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 07:08:10 »
Quote from: spdx;307489
After the issue was raised to senior managers, I need to give up brown cherry at work.

You mean someone actually went to management, instead of coming to you first and asking if you wouldn't mind using a quieter keyboard?

Your place of work must be full of absolute ****ing bellends.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 07:15:40 »
Quote from: Brian8bit;307528
Your place of work must be full of absolute ****ing bellends.

LoL... Or he works in a callcenter, a library or a church.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 08:22:25 »
To be fair, the space bar on my Filco w/ blues is absurdly loud. . . this likely because my work keyboard has trained me to smash the space bar very hard, because the one at work is almost, but not completely, broken. It seems like both the left and right stabilizers on the cheapo Dell I've got there are gone or broken, so it's extremely hard to get it to actuate, lol.

After 3 months of whacking that thing, I can't seem to untrain the habit now!
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline spdx

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 10:33:31 »
Quote from: Armando Penblade;307563
. . . this likely because my work keyboard has trained me to smash the space bar very hard...
After 3 months of whacking that thing, I can't seem to untrain the habit now!

This could be one of the factor that I didn't notice for years. The first keyboard I started working on is the one came with a DEC VT-100 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT100) , which required programmers punch real hard to get key registered.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 11:00:39 »
Quote from: Brian8bit;307528
You mean someone actually went to management, instead of coming to you first and asking if you wouldn't mind using a quieter keyboard?

Some people are just too cowardly to face the person producing "too much noise" themselves. People like that aren't usually the most liked people around the workplace...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline spdx

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 12:28:25 »

Offline ieatfish

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 16:33:41 »
Now you need to get one of those mice with the loud springy clicks with every mouse button.

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 17:22:47 »
The other tech I sit 10 feet from in an open office doesn't mind the sound of my Blackwidow Ultimate.  He actually likes the keyboard, looks, backlite and feel of the switches... but would never spend $104 bucks on one.  His loss.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline Dr.Pepper

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 21:18:48 »
I got complaints Thursday about my keyboard being loud, even though it was a cheap rubber dome hp keyboard, I just told them about my model m, and they said so? Every keyboard can be loud. I brought it in Friday, and everyone hated me... but my teacher thought we were working really hard on our code lol.

Personally I don't care all to much about noise, If someone is complaining they're usually not the ones getting their work done, as they obviously don't have enough to do if they're worried about noise.
Keyboards:
Das Keyboard Ultimate ( Blue switches, blank )
IBM \'91 Model M White.

Wishlist:
Deck Legend Toxic ( With "Ghetto" Reds )
Poker Keyboard

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 21:22:22 »
Which one were you using at work? The Das with blues?

Offline spdx

Problem solved
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 19:52:14 »
Just some updates after almost a year. I tried the following:

1. orthodontic band mod
2. o rings mod
3. a realforce keyboard
4. a KBC poker mx red and a mx brown
5. a noppoo choc mini mx black and a mx brown
6. a G84-5200
7. a IBM travel keyboard

Some of them reduce the noise and all of them change the typing experience. Therefore, none works for me.

Finally, I figured out a solution after spending 800+ dollars.

- moving to a new cube far away from those colleagues and keep typing on my filco mx brown.

Offline Hamblet

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 22:42:10 »
Yes, you'd better find a new job.
Or, take the membrane and leave the mech board.

All and every mech board has its own specific/unique/natural sound.

Ten things you could do to reduce unwanted/noisome noise.

1. Hit the spacebar more gently
2. Glue thin layer inside spacebar keycap to prevent (to absorb) sound wave reflection
   (try not to stuff all the empty space there. Because it makes spacebar keycap heavier, finally downward/upward striking sound far louder)
3. Glue thin damping layer onto plate socket. Damping material is located between plate socket and keycap sokets to prevent sudden striking sound and shock.
4. For metal wire, i guess, not much thing to do (Teflon taping ? nah, just let it go).
5. Lots of grease. At contact areas such as between both sockets and between socket/wire.
6. Stuff something which can reduce echoing/trembling, between steel plate and PCB. Too much stuffing will make a side effect, so try to keep moderate. (Sometimes you have to dismantle the soldering of switch or not.)
7. There is empty space too between switch lower housing and PCB, if you want to stuff it, you must dismantle the soldering of switch.
8. Stuff empty space between PCB and keyboard lower casing. (and keyboard upper casing has its own empty spaces too)
9. Put thick cloth between keyboard bottom and your desk
10. Pick the more suitable desk to reduce noise.

Some more (stupid) things, I am not count on.
-O-ring job (dumb)
-damping deep inside the switch. First, between slider bottom and switch lower housing bottom (dumbing down strike). Second, between slider shoulder top and switch upper housing inside ceiling (dumbing up strike as in Realforce dumber edition).
-Other crazy *ucking big money wasting jobs, such as Kryptonite-Metallic casing etc., etc..
-In regard to key spring force, the lighter the louder, the heavier the harder to use.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 01:18:36 by Hamblet »

Offline Tony

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 01:30:40 »
It's time to start a new business for your own. Your keyboards need respect and encouragement, not complaint.

Offline spdx

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 12:02:29 »
Quote from: Hamblet;498233

All and every mech board has its own specific/unique/natural sound.

Ten things you could do to reduce unwanted/noisome noise.

1. Hit the spacebar more gently
2. Glue thin layer inside spacebar keycap to prevent (to absorb) sound wave reflection
   (try not to stuff all the empty space there. Because it makes spacebar keycap heavier, finally downward/upward striking sound far louder)
3. Glue thin damping layer onto plate socket. Damping material is located between plate socket and keycap sokets to prevent sudden striking sound and shock.
4. For metal wire, i guess, not much thing to do (Teflon taping ? nah, just let it go).
5. Lots of grease. At contact areas such as between both sockets and between socket/wire.
6. Stuff something which can reduce echoing/trembling, between steel plate and PCB. Too much stuffing will make a side effect, so try to keep moderate. (Sometimes you have to dismantle the soldering of switch or not.)
7. There is empty space too between switch lower housing and PCB, if you want to stuff it, you must dismantle the soldering of switch.
8. Stuff empty space between PCB and keyboard lower casing. (and keyboard upper casing has its own empty spaces too)
9. Put thick cloth between keyboard bottom and your desk
10. Pick the more suitable desk to reduce noise.

This is very informative. Thanks for the advice.

Offline yaeger77

Re: How to reduce space bar noise?
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:46:22 »
Wow thanks for this! Putting a towel under my keyboard made a world of difference for acoustics. I also put o-rings on my blue switch but with the towel, I feel like I can isolate just the pleasing click and reduce the other chatter.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 11:37:57 »
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to hit the classifieds.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 11:48:41 »
Wow thanks for this! Putting a towel under my keyboard made a world of difference for acoustics. I also put o-rings on my blue switch but with the towel, I feel like I can isolate just the pleasing click and reduce the other chatter.

You got a link for the towel? Does the color match your keyboard? Don't leave us hanging.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 14:24:21 »
Sixty one month necro, this has to be a new record. 
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 18:34:26 »
No way. There are still plenty of unbumped 2007 threads I'm sure.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 18:54:36 »
No way. There are still plenty of unbumped 2007 threads I'm sure.
BrB
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline yaeger77

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 15:08:34 »

You got a link for the towel? Does the color match your keyboard? Don't leave us hanging.

I just used a home towel to test. I'm sure a keyboard mat could do the same.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 15:10:36 »
I'm glad I can hammer away on my mx blues at work and no one complains.

Edit: just get a new board, mx reds should be a lot quieter.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 15:18:18 by 1swt2gs »
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 15:11:26 »
The issue is not with your keyboard but with your coworker.

Have you tried modding your coworker? Tell the company to switch replace him :)