Author Topic: Deck Announces Tactile Switch Boards  (Read 5298 times)

Offline wellington1869

Deck Announces Tactile Switch Boards
« on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 16:29:14 »
Quote from: ripster;96865

Man, check out "Deck Girls" while you're there. .

holy crap, now thats a marketing dept.   unicomp, are you listening?
thats the way to make keyboarding sexy.

that blonde could make a living just sitting there like that. life is so unfair.

what kind of switches? probably cherry blacks? or black alps?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 17:04:09 »
Quote from: ripster;96872
Someone here thought they would be Cherry clears.  We'll see.

I thought this thread might lead them to choose blues.

Found a link to an EU supplier while I was nosing around there.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 17:06:16 »
It's sad, it's only their Legend board... I'd have liked to see a tactile space saver...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 17:10:35 »
for $170, I'll pass =)
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline Special K

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 21:06:32 »
Quote from: wellington1869;96870

what kind of switches? probably cherry blacks? or black alps?

Cherry blacks are not tactile.  Deck's current line of non-tactile Legend keyboards use the cherry blacks.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Special K

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 21:08:01 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;96902
for $170, I'll pass =)

Yeah, the Filcos seem like a much better buy.  I guess the LED backlighting is what accounts for the price difference?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Z Redux

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 22:22:13 »
Quote from: Rajagra;96897
I thought this thread might lead them to choose blues.

I suspect they'll go with clear stem cherries for the new tactile keyboards.

According to Adam, the site admin, on May 11, 2009:
Quote from: DeckGuy Adam
...Cherry brown switches are extremely hard to get so we would most likely go with white (MX1A-C1NW) or blue (MX1A-E1NW)...

Then, on May 15, 2009:
...for now all I can say is that if we do in fact release a new product the first lot won't have blue switches...

Still waiting on an official announcement or documentation for conformation, though.

Deck recently moved to a new server. They had some troubles that delayed their relaunch. The old site came down on June 1st, with an estimate of ~2 days downtime. The new site was accessible yesterday, June 15th, for the first time - complete with some broken navigation links. As of today, those seem to all be fixed and the site fully operational. With the kinks they were working out, I doubt releasing switch details was their first priority. :)

I'm eager to find out the exact switch configuration and which models they'll make their way in to.

-Z

Edit: I just realized that this is my tenth post... Gotta watch out for Ripster now... :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 22:25:32 by Z Redux »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 00:00:49 »
Quote from: Z Redux;96947

Deck recently moved to a new server. They had some troubles that delayed their relaunch. The old site came down on June 1st, with an estimate of ~2 days downtime. The new site was accessible yesterday, June 15th, for the first time - complete with some broken navigation links. As of today, those seem to all be fixed and the site fully operational. With the kinks they were working out, I doubt releasing switch details was their first priority. :)

That's obscenely bad planning.

There's no reason a well-made site can't be staged at its final location, and then the DNS updated to make the new site public once testing is complete.

I'd suspect it's more a "we had a falling out with the old developer, they pulled the plug on the 1st, no matter what, and we couldn't finish the new site any faster."
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 07:50:52 »
They spent too much money paying the girl, and now can't afford good switches anymore. lol

Still my favorite:

Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 08:01:23 »
D*mn, I can't see the Deck girl pics at work.  The new 'board is nice, but the font on the keys sucks.

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 09:58:06 »
Dude, you need to talk to IT.  Pics is the best part.   I'd call that discrimination.

They need to be "Living for the City!"

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 10:02:52 »
Quote from: Stevie Wonder;97028
Dude, you need to talk to IT. Pics is the best part. I'd call that discrimination.

They need to be "Living for the City!"

I'd call it breaking company policy - a fireable offense.

Offline Z Redux

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 June 2009, 23:51:08 »
Updated information from the Deck forums, posted Jun 22, 2009:
...we are only making the Legend available with tactile, and only in blue and (soon to come) white...

Blue and white, in the above statement, refers to the LED backlight color - not the cherry switch stem color.

...Currently we will be using the Cherry MX1A-C1NW switches (white plunger, soft tactile, 2.1 oz force). We may switch to a MX1A-G1NW (brown, 1.8 oz force) in the future because I have heard the C1NWs are going away. Depending on sales of the current tactile lineup and demand for a blue "clicky" switch version we may release that option in the future as well...

So it looks like no 82-key or clicky switch options in the near future. Deck makes great keyboards, but they aren't exactly quick to release new product variants.

-Z

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 10:51:43 »
Quote from: ripster;98816
Bummer. My favorite response in their forum though.

That pretty much sums it up, though.  If they produced 'boards with Cherry browns, they could capture a much wider swath of the market(s).  Gamers who (allegedly) don't want clicking and typers who want lighter switches and tactilty.  Hell, look at Filco, the produce 'boards with almost every switch Cherry makes.  I can't see why they can't just run their current 'boards with different switches.  It can't be that hard to do from a manufacturing standpoint; they're basically the same parts.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 11:53:52 »
Quote from: ripster;98822
Cost, cost, cost.

He even mentions the recession in the post.  They are lucky to even be alive.

At the prices they charge? Yeah.

But if they dropped the price to around $100 like other boards they'd sell a ton more.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline Special K

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 11:55:50 »
Quote from: Manyak;98833
At the prices they charge? Yeah.

But if they dropped the price to around $100 like other boards they'd sell a ton more.

Of course the Deck keyboards also have LED lighting for each individual key.  I'm not sure how much that adds to the cost.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 12:41:01 »
Quote from: ripster;98822
Cost, cost, cost.

He even mentions the recession in the post. They are lucky to even be alive.

Again, it's just a part.  They don't have to change any of their manufacturing process.  Instead of buying a shipment of blacks one time, they get a shipment of browns, throw 'em into the machine, and presto, Deck 'boards with browns.  It isn't like Unicomp where just about any change to a 'board would require pretty much an overhaul of their equipment/process to handle.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 12:43:59 »
Quote from: Special K;98836
Of course the Deck keyboards also have LED lighting for each individual key.  I'm not sure how much that adds to the cost.

The cost of 104 LEDs - at retail price - is about $3-$5. If you're buying them in bulk from a supplier or manufacturer the price is less than 1/2 of that.

I don't know about any extra labor costs they might have, but equipment cost should be $0 because TG3 has had the equipment for a very, very long time and have most likely made back the cost by now.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline Lengradde

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:14:32 »
Quote from: ripster;98845
I really should start posting in their forum.  Could be fun.

Their suggestions polls were stagnant.  They need voices of reason.

I just can't wait any longer for MX browns on a compact backlit KB....Filco here I come.  If we are such a small subset of the keyboard population, Deck won't fare to well if the only people buying their keyboards are those who want it for the pretty L.E.Ds.  They really need more switch variety.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:18:15 by Lengradde »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:19:19 »
Quote from: ripster;98996
Welcome to Geekhack.

You'll like the Filcos. If nothing else you don't have to look at that FUGLY Deck font set. Ugh.

I think I would be all over a brown/white Cherry Deck if weren't for the font. It's terrible.

Offline Repoman

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:21:35 »
Looks almost as bad as that Cherry Klingon keyboard. Dear god - WHY!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:24:40 »
Quote from: Repoman;99000
Looks almost as bad as that Cherry Klingon keyboard. Dear god - WHY!

At least that's merely novel.

Offline Deckguy Adam

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:25:00 »
Hi everyone, DeckGuy Adam directly from Deck here to try and answer some of your posts:

• Current tactile switches being used are MX1A-C1NW's (clear key stem).  Linears are the standard black stem 11NW model.  Getting around to posting alot more about the switches as well as an announcement in our forums shortly.
  • In the process of adding a white LED (tactile only for now) version to our site, should be there by tomorrow.
  • Sorry we took the Deck girl off the main site.  I like her and many of you like her, but some people were offended by it.  To sum it up it was a business decision to prevent people from getting angry.  She is still in the forums here: http://deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78
  • Cherry blue stem keyswitches (E1NWs) may be available in the future.  Same goes for a tactile version of our 82 key Deck.
  • The reason we are somewhat slow to release new products/features is in fact because we are a relatively small company compared to some of our competition so we can't just throw tons of money around.  The problem with additional items is that then we have to carry inventory of more products which costs more up front.  Again, business related stuff.  If they let us run wild releasing what we wanted to I am sure there would be ALOT more options.
  • I apologize to all for the troubles with the website.  Original host pulled the plug on their PHP4 server which moved up my timetable to migrate the site.  I had the site setup on another server and moved DNS so there would be no hiccups, however our host's server started flaking out so I had to shift to a different host which delayed it for another day or so.  Next host had issues with SSL certs from other vendors (made no mention on their site anywhere about this, even the sales person said it would work) so I had to move a 3rd time which was the charm.  Sometimes life is just fun like that but it won't happen again.
  • Cost for most of the LEDs, even in bulk, is around $10 for ~100.  We don't use the el cheapo LEDs so it adds cost, however it also produces the most distinct backlighting effect of any board on the market.  Not a whole lot I can do about that.  Have been trying for a long time to reduce cost so that it is more accessible to more people but with the parts we use there isnt a whole lot of wiggle room.

Sorry I don't post on here more often, I am geek but a very busy geek most of the time :bowl:
Deck Guy Adam
http://www.deckkeyboards.com - The best backlit keyboards on Earth
http://www.tg3electronics.com - Parent company of Deck, leaders in custom industrial keyboards

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:26:39 »
Hi Adam - just wanted to say its such a pleasure to have direct representatives on this site. :)  Thanks for coming.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:27:30 »
Thanks for the update! I know a few folks will be excited about the 82 key 'board with blue or tactile switches.

Offline Repoman

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 16:31:10 »
And a slightly less 'full-on' font?

Seriously though - good to see hardware guys on the board

Offline Deckguy Adam

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:13:22 »
Hmm seems alot of people here don't like the font...this may finally be enough feedback to justify making another set with a more normal font.  I will pass this up the chain and see what I can do (unfortunately I am just the web/Deck monkey haha!)
Deck Guy Adam
http://www.tg3electronics.com - Parent company of Deck, leaders in custom industrial keyboards

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:16:37 »
there has been a real need for this form factor with blue cherries. I know a lot of people have been clamoring for a "compact" board with clicky/blues.  Do you guys still have a strongman/alps/xm board? (strongmans preferred if thats possible!)

Sorry we took the Deck girl off the main site. I like her and many of you like her, but some people were offended by it

clearly they are communists.

Offline Repoman

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:21:32 »
It's be nice to see a proto of a deck board with a bias more toward typing than gaming - although that assumes you have an interest in that market. If your focus is on providing great compact keyboards it would make sense to have something a bit less glowing lights/translucent plastic.

Offline Deckguy Adam

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:22:36 »
Quote from: webwit;99038
Hey Adam, do you know if those blank keycaps are compatible with other Cherry boards? I guess so, but maybe they are special in some way.

*shrugs* Should be but I guess that would depend on which Cherry board you are trying to put them on (and I am not an expert on Cherry products)...
Deck Guy Adam

Offline Manyak

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:23:24 »
Quote from: Deckguy Adam;99035
Hmm seems alot of people here don't like the font...this may finally be enough feedback to justify making another set with a more normal font.  I will pass this up the chain and see what I can do (unfortunately I am just the web/Deck monkey haha!)

Just giving my 2c and saying I don't like the font either! Actually, that's about the only complaint I've got.

I think the choice of using stiffer switches is great as I see Deck boards as gaming boards more than typing boards, and when I'm into a game I tend to hit keys really hard anyway so stiffer keys actually become less fatiguing than light keys because my fingers won't hit bottom as hard.
Currently Owned:

Offline Repoman

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:33:49 »
Quote from: webwit;99042
That ad has the same message as advertising ... Buy this keyboard, get to f*ck hot babes.

I'm guessing your not overburdened with female customers at the moment? Right?

Sorry - that'd be Deck...

not Webwit...

Offline Deckguy Adam

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:43:28 »
Hey Adam, do you know if those blank keycaps are compatible with other Cherry boards? I guess so, but maybe they are special in some way.

Yeah we can't expect people who work for a keyboard company using Cherry products to know these things...

Unfortunately I don't know Cherry's entire product line, we just use their switches. :sorry:  I would imagine that it would fit other Cherry products but I don't know which products would use the exact same keycaps 1:1.  Both the Deck 82 and Legend have standard spacing between the keys but some of the keycaps themselves are larger or smaller than normal (i.e. Enter, Shift, etc.).

PS - I now have the white LED version posted on our site (nicknamed "Frost") as well as an official announcement in our forums.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:45:37 by Deckguy Adam »
Deck Guy Adam

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:50:55 »
Companies like iRock picked a couple of our members for keyboard reviews. I understand that there is a forum at deck but you can always get some opinions from us if you like deckguy adam =)
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline Manyak

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 18:52:57 »
Out of curiosity, what voltage do the white LEDs use? And the blue ones?

It would be nice to have like, the letter keys and number pad in white and the rest in blue, kind of like the lighter/darker keys on a Model M, just wondering which would be easier to mod.
Currently Owned:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 21:07:01 »
Adam - you should give out some review boards to the guys here like the i-rock folks did, you'd get some decent feedback and lots of free product advertisment while we would get information-dissemination which we could use.

[update: whoops, looks like i'm seconding watduzhkstand4]
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2009, 21:13:06 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 21:09:32 »
Quote from: webwit;99042
That ad has the same message as advertising for cheap supermarket deodorant for pubescent boys (e.g. Axe). :)

well if you think of the gaming market, i think their ad campaign is right on the money!

and hell, some of us postpubescents appreciate it too ;D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 21:14:42 »
Adam, any chance you could get convince one of the engineers or designers to take some of our design/engineering questions?

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 21:25:24 »
Quote from: wellington1869;99067
Adam - you should give out some review boards to the guys here like the i-rock folks did, you'd get some decent feedback and lots of free product advertisment while we would get information-dissemination which we could use.

[update: whoops, looks like i'm seconding watduzhkstand4]

that's exactly what I said lol. I hope he will!
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline Manyak

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 05:13:23 »
Quote from: ripster;99055
Manyak, the answer is in the Deck Forum here.  Seriously, check out the variable LED mod.  You can do key animations and load custom key light patterns for different games.

That post doesn't have the values for their white LEDs!

And I bookmarked that mod already :D. I don't know if I'll have the time to do all that though.
Currently Owned:

Offline talis

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 10:38:18 »
Quote from: Manyak;99054
Out of curiosity, what voltage do the white LEDs use? And the blue ones?

It would be nice to have like, the letter keys and number pad in white and the rest in blue, kind of like the lighter/darker keys on a Model M, just wondering which would be easier to mod.

Its actually somewhat process/manufacturer dependent.

Whites tend to be around 3.2v~3.6v, more leaning towards the upper range
Blues tend to be around 3.2~3.5v, more leaning towards the lower range

Offline Manyak

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 10:46:30 »
Quote from: talis;99116

Thanks, sounds like getting a white board would make it the easiest then :)
Currently Owned:

Offline Deckguy Adam

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 10:52:24 »
Quote from: talis;99116

Thats pretty close.  I am working with our engineer right now to try and get the actual specs.  When I have them they will be posted on this page:

http://deckkeyboards.com/light.php

Even though I am not sure on the specific specs, I do know that the blue, green, and white LEDs we use in our products are interchangeable because their values are all so close.  Red is too far out of the range and would need additional reconfiguration.  We do offer schematics for our products which can be found here:

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/contact_us.php
Deck Guy Adam

Offline talis

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 10:55:17 »
Quote from: Manyak;99117
Thanks, sounds like getting a white board would make it the easiest then :)

In most cases, they're probably driven with 5V, so even if you end up at the extreme of each range, its just a matter of changing out a resistor (to keep the current the same).