Author Topic: Typing in Bed  (Read 5573 times)

Offline therecorder

Typing in Bed
« on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:18:42 »
Out of curiosity, for those of you who type in bed, is your choice of keyboard different from that which you choose to use out of bed?  Why?  Size?  Color?  Switch?  Weight of switch? .......

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Typing in Bed
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:23:27 »
I use my Poker and laptop's big Touch Pad if I'm in bed or anywhere except my desk. It's small, the only board I currently own, and has lubed ergo clears with gold 62g Korean springs.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:26:56 »
I spend 95% of my time on GH in bed on my macbook, scissor switches. My computer chair is a dinner chair and it kills me to use it.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:28:16 »
If the miniguru were available to buy then that is what I would use. http://www.guru-board.com/
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jabar

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:32:45 »
If the miniguru were available to buy then that is what I would use. http://www.guru-board.com/
Never heard of this, and after reading it I'm not surprised. So many new 60% keyboards have left that Miniguru in the dust.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:33:43 »
Never heard of this, and after reading it I'm not surprised. So many new 60% keyboards have left that Miniguru in the dust.
I think that website's been there way, way before the GH60. It's still unique due to the track-point-thingy. If it were released it wouldn't be 'left in the dust'.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:35:03 »
HHKB and trackball for bed use

with the HHKB i get the satisfaction of using a good keyboard without waking my wife, even lubed reds with o rings will wake her, topre for some reason doesn't bother her.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:38:09 »
HHKB and trackball for bed use

with the HHKB i get the satisfaction of using a good keyboard without waking my wife, even lubed reds with o rings will wake her, topre for some reason doesn't bother her.

Think you now have given many readers a good "excuse" for purchasing an HHKB :)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:42:14 »
Haha, before I got into mechanical boards and when I gamed more, this used to be my in bed setup (SG05 w/GTX 680 was off to the left side).

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:45:17 by Jocelyn »

Offline therecorder

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:49:28 »
I use my Poker and laptop's big Touch Pad if I'm in bed or anywhere except my desk. It's small, the only board I currently own, and has lubed ergo clears with gold 62g Korean springs.

Do you find that the laptop "and" keyboard get a bit weighty after a while?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:51:57 »

No, because my laptop is 17.3", less than an inch thick, and only weighs ~6 pounds :)

Edit - I'll probably pick up a Macbook Air or a Samsung Series 9 13.3" eventually. While I don't find my current setup to be heavy, I think something 13.3" and even thinner would be better.

I think it interesting that, thus far, no one has mentioned using a white or backlit board for low-light situations.

I don't look at my keys when I type >.>
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:55:45 by Jocelyn »

Offline therecorder

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 00:54:51 »
I think it interesting that, thus far, no one has mentioned using a white or backlit board for low-light situations.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:08:23 »

No, because my laptop is 17.3", less than an inch thick, and only weighs ~6 pounds :)

Edit - I'll probably pick up a Macbook Air or a Samsung Series 9 13.3" eventually. While I don't find my current setup to be heavy, I think something 13.3" and even thinner would be better.

I don't look at my keys when I type >.>

I have two laptops.  This is the one I have in my bedroom (newer release, with Windows 8 ).  It's a 14", and a Poker or Pure fits perfectly in the touch-pad area:
http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/notebook-pc/ultra-portable/NP530U4C-S01MY
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:14:49 by therecorder »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:16:57 »

I have two laptops.  This is the one I have in my bedroom (newer release, with Windows 8).  It's a 14", and a Poker or Pure fits perfectly in the touch-pad area:
http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/notebook-pc/ultra-portable/NP530U4C-S01MY

Nice, though I don't think I could handle 1366x768. Do you have access to the touch pad when a Poker/Pure is on top of it?

This is what I'm using (two SSDs/12GB of memory) - http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP700Z7C-S01US

Potato pic taken in the dark
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:30:51 by Jocelyn »

Offline therecorder

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:25:27 »

I have two laptops.  This is the one I have in my bedroom (newer release, with Windows 8).  It's a 14", and a Poker or Pure fits perfectly in the touch-pad area:

Nice, though I don't think I could handle 1366x768. Do you have access to the touch pad when a Poker/Pure is on top of it?

This is what I'm using (two SSDs/12GB of memory) - http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP700Z7C-S01US

No, it covers the entire area.  If a Poker or Pure had legs, you would be able to sit the legs in the top ledge, just above the top row of keys, or between any of the rows, leaving the track-pad exposed, but the keyboard covered.  I can do this with a Keycool 84.

EDIT:
Best solution with a Poker or Pure is to use a wireless mouse...  I use an Orochi.  (Great mouse, and I am not a Gamer.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:33:24 by therecorder »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:26:16 »
Am I the only one who couldn't use a Poker on top of the laptop keyboard? It was always pressing buttons below it.

Anyway, I just use my phone in bed.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:30:51 »
Am I the only one who couldn't use a Poker on top of the laptop keyboard? It was always pressing buttons below it.

You can use it, but only if you place it in the touch-pad area, not on top of any keys.  If this is on a small laptop (14", or less), you will definitely lose access to the touch-pad, and have to resort to a mouse.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:38:14 »

You can use it, but only if you place it in the touch-pad area, not on top of any keys.  If this is on a small laptop (14", or less), you will definitely lose access to the touch-pad, and have to resort to a mouse.

No, you can definitely use it over the laptop keyboard without ever pressing buttons down, while 95% of the trackpad is showing. Three corners are not touching the keyboard underneath and you have to press really hard in the back for it to actuate laptop keys. I do it with my Poker and Nezumi does it with her Pure and 15" MBP.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:41:07 »
I use the keyboard on my Motorola Droid 4. And Tapatalk. You kids are so fancy with your Pokers and Laptops in bed :P

Offline therecorder

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:42:38 »

No, you can definitely use it over the laptop keyboard without ever pressing buttons down, while 95% of the trackpad is showing. Three corners are not touching the keyboard underneath and you have to press really hard in the back for it to actuate laptop keys. I do it with my Poker and Nezumi does it with her Pure and 15" MBP.

If the rubber stops on the bottom of the board sit on keys, how does the pressure from your typing not actuate keys?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:42:48 »
I use the keyboard on my Motorola Droid 4. And Tapatalk. You kids are so fancy with your Pokers and Laptops in bed :P

LOL I do the same with my Note II! It's all about options imo :)

If the rubber stops on the bottom of the board sit on keys, how does the pressure from your typing not actuate keys?

I don't know, maybe it's the gold korean springs lol. I think it has to do with only one of four rubber feet being on the keyboard. The other three are to the left or below the keys and as mentioned above, I have to push VERY hard in on the number row for the laptop keys to actuate. I've never had it happened until I tested it a few minutes ago.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:45:09 by Jocelyn »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:44:18 »
You're so right Sisbot...I should get an OTG cable and type on my Pure hooked up to my phone. Wonder if it would pull enough power to be backlit too.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:45:58 »

I guess it depends on what you are typing/doing, and how comfortable you want to be,  IMHO, even surfing and posting on a laptop is a lot more enjoyable than on other smaller devices.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:47:34 »

This was my first thought, I am considering getting a smaller mechanical keyboard although I'd be using mine on a couch with a 17" laptop.

I use the keyboard on my Motorola Droid 4. And Tapatalk. You kids are so fancy with your Pokers and Laptops in bed :p

I use my phone 90% of the time at home but my beds only sleeping and other things you normally do in bed  :p

....the only technology in bed is the alarm clock  ???

Offline shawn24

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:48:24 »
I think that website's been there way, way before the GH60. It's still unique due to the track-point-thingy. If it were released it wouldn't be 'left in the dust'.

I like this one,but it seems impossible to be released

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:48:47 »
You're so right Sisbot...I should get an OTG cable and type on my Pure hooked up to my phone. Wonder if it would pull enough power to be backlit too.

To be fair, it's usually coupled with one of these and an external monitor (Only paid $50) - http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EDD-S20JWEGSTA

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:58:04 »

What's this? You can even see my little mouse cursor from the touchpad. But your battery hates you when you connect one of these, turn it up to full brightness, and use it as a hotspot at the same time...

Offline ping111

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:03:00 »
There's nothing quite like the feeling of ultimate luxury that you get when you type on a mech while chilling in bed.  I only, sadly, have one mech right now, but I am getting a TKL soon.  As well, I'm researching into adapters that turn your bed into, essentially, an armchair, which would make it even MORE pleasant.
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:33:10 »
I use a QFR with 55g blacks. It's terribad but it works. I keep my OTG cable for my tablet, so then it's all good. Occasionally I swap in my Phantom, but it's both loud, and uncased; blankets sounded like a bad idea.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:01:54 »
I think I am the only person on earth with a disdain for staying in bed. I wake up, I get up, I don't get back into my bed until precisely 3 minutes before I fall asleep, and in that time I ready myself for bed, then I get into bed, then within seconds, even if I want to watch something, I fall asleep. I have on a few occasions tried to use laptop in bed when I have been ill or whatever, and lasted minutes before finding it wildly uncomfortable and resorting to going to my desk anyway. The desk isn't much better like, it's covered in keyboards and screens and soldering equipment - laptop work at the computer desk is a no no, laptop work in my house literally has to happen on ones lap. I have never even attempted to use a laptop AND one of my keyboards in bed.
I got boards.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:22:00 »
I don't type in bed, but if I did, I'd use my setup like this:

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:23:27 »
Fire extinguisher included?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:15:41 »

What's this? You can even see my little mouse cursor from the touchpad. But your battery hates you when you connect one of these, turn it up to full brightness, and use it as a hotspot at the same time...

Show Image

How is that kb? And trackpad? Its only about 50 bucks on ebay. Is it heavy?
SmallFry! <3

Offline ping111

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:40:09 »

More
Show Image
What KB is this?  It looks PERFECT for travel...
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:44:48 »
Industrial version of Deck 82, there's been a thread about it recently.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:48:02 »
Only on the laptop keyboard. My girlfriend would kill me if I started typing on anything else when she is snoozing.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:17:18 »
I think if I get one of the new leopold topre boards I could see myself using that in bed.  I have a thinkpad and they're known for having some really nice keyboards, I type so much better on that than I have on any other laptop keyboard I had owned prior to that. 
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Asininity

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 21:40:47 »
I use my Leopold tenkeyless when I don't feel like using the crummy laptop keyboard while in bed.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 23:39:43 »
Its a TG3 keyboard. Its not too heavy, per se. Though the bottom is aluminum. The only things that's weird is the small size of some of the keys. But it has all the keys you need in a compact form factor. I believe they were made for police cars.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:14:23 »
Can't really say I spend too much time with my Laptop in bed. And hey, laptop keyboards maybe don't feel like heaven, but it's not so bad that my girlfriend would be swapped with a mechanical there.^^
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:50:51 »
Haha, before I got into mechanical boards and when I gamed more, this used to be my in bed setup (SG05 w/GTX 680 was off to the left side).

Show Image

SG05. Power density ftw :D

I have one too, with a 660. Previously it had a 6870 Hawk, I had to cut the case to fit it ^^

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:54:02 by F u r u y á »
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline therecorder

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 02:43:22 »
This is my Samsung S5 Ultrabook with my FC660C:

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 05:03:07 »
SG05. Power density ftw :D

I have one too, with a 660. Previously it had a 6870 Hawk, I had to cut the case to fit it ^^

Show Image

Nice, there are some photos of mine in one of the off topic computer threads. I've since parted it out, and I'm about to part out my Lian Li Q11R, but I'm selling the case to a friend of mine.

This is my Samsung S5 Ultrabook with my FC660C:

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to see how WFD's FC660C looks on my Samsung laptop.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 05:18:42 »
How do you guys get that mechanical over your laptop keyboard without pressing all the keys of it?
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 05:23:03 »
How do you guys get that mechanical over your laptop keyboard without pressing all the keys of it?

I've already explained this earlier in the thread, using a Poker or Pure. Only one of three corners is sitting in the keyboard area and I have to press very hard (way more force than typing) on the top row to have accidental keystrokes happen.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:35:59 »

Non-issue. Rubber feet on my choc mini fit exactly on X200T's edges.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 07:53:50 »

It may be difficult to make out in my above photo, but the pull-out feet of the FC660C are actually sitting in the space between key rows.  This permits me to pick a "between key row" that will permit the bottom edge of the keyboard to sit below the bottom row of laptop keys.  This is not possible with Pokers and Pures because they have no pull-out feet.  Therefore, like Jocelyn pointed out, you must sit the top rubber strips above the top row of laptop keys, and one of the bottom rubber strips in the space between a right- or left most key and the right or left edge of the laptop keyboard.  However, if your laptop is 14" or less, there might not be enough space between a key and the edge of the laptop keyboard to fit a bottom rubber strip.  It all a bit of experimentation, and finding the right spot (that doesn't produce inadvertent laptop keyboard key presses).  Once you have found your spot, just remember it for the next time.

ADDITIONAL:

If I use a Poker or a pure with my "14"" laptop, I place the keyboard in the touch-pad area, and use a mouse.

One of the nice things about having and using pull-out legs is that when you are in bed, with the setup in your lap, the laptop tends to lean downward (from thighs to knees).  Raising the the top end of the keyboard helps to compensate for this unevenness.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:11:36 by therecorder »

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:22:50 »
Thanks guys, just wondered, can't try it with my own keyboard. The smallest one I have is a G80-1800HFD, and it's still a lot wider than my 15,6" laptop. ;) I never saw the sense of a 60% keyboard (don't know about you but my desk is wide enough for a fullsize^^), but now, for a laptop... May be quite nice, I could go with browns and O-rings and take it to university every day :D

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:56:30 »
Thanks guys, just wondered, can't try it with my own keyboard. The smallest one I have is a G80-1800HFD, and it's still a lot wider than my 15,6" laptop. ;) I never saw the sense of a 60% keyboard (don't know about you but my desk is wide enough for a fullsize^^), but now, for a laptop... May be quite nice, I could go with browns and O-rings and take it to university every day :D

The sense is that I don't need a big ass full size keyboard despite having the room.
I also have no real need for a Numpad, dedicated F-row, or TKL arrows (Poker has arrows), so going with anything bigger doesn't make any sense for my needs :)

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 09:18:33 »
Never saw it that way. Actually, you're right, I don't use the tenkey anyway. Could use an F-Row though (dunno, F5 for browser or in RPGs, for character selection or quicksave or something).
Also, as a German I'm used to a big Enter (not the big fat one, but I know some of the 60% keyboards only have a single row enter, thats too small for me). And I need arrow keys. ^^
Ah you know, I'm happy with my big old cherrys (G80-1000 and like that), and the smaller the keyboard, the more expensive it gets... for the moment I'm satisfied. :D

Offline therecorder

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 09:26:44 »
Never saw it that way. Actually, you're right, I don't use the tenkey anyway. Could use an F-Row though (dunno, F5 for browser or in RPGs, for character selection or quicksave or something).
Also, as a German I'm used to a big Enter (not the big fat one, but I know some of the 60% keyboards only have a single row enter, thats too small for me). And I need arrow keys. ^^
Ah you know, I'm happy with my big old cherrys (G80-1000 and like that), and the smaller the keyboard, the more expensive it gets... for the moment I'm satisfied. :D

Just for your information... The new Pure Pro...

http://kbtrace.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KBTeurope

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 09:36:07 »
Yep, thanks for the info, I have already seen a few pics of this board and let's put it this way... If I'm going to buy a 60%  board, this will be it. :)