Author Topic: Strange issue with Model M + motherboard  (Read 1819 times)

Offline low-fi

Strange issue with Model M + motherboard
« on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 12:12:13 »
I bought a Spanish Model M with an extra long cable from Clickykeyboards.com about two years ago and the keyboard itself works perfeclty as far as I can tell. However, after I built my new gaming rig last summer I've been having a strange problem with the keyboard and I believe the reason is that my new motherboard (MSI Neo2-FR if I remember correctly) doesn't like the Model M.

When I load up my computer the keyboard works flawlessly, but when I have to reboot the system, the computer stops recognizing the keyboard (it doesn't accept any input from the 'board, Num+caps-leds won't light up etc). My motherboard has PS/2-connectors and the Model M is the only PS/2 'board I've had problems with.

I guess the problem has to do something with the M drawing more power from the mainboard than contemporary PS/2 keyboards -- when the computer is booted for the first time the keyboard gets enough power, but when the system is rebooted, the keyboard just doesn't get enough juice.

I think a PS/2->USB adaptor could fix this issue, but my problem is that I live in Finland and all adaptors you can get here are those crappy 2x-keyb-mouse-combos that just won't work with the Model M. I don't want to order the proper adaptor from USA either because the shipping costs would be around $50. Is there anything I could try to get my keyboard and mobo live in peace together?

I have the Unicomp Spacesaver USB, which is a fine keyboard, but using the original is just so much more bad ass... :)

Offline zwmalone

Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 12:40:07 »
Quote from: low-fi;96746

I think a PS/2->USB adaptor could fix this issue, but my problem is that I live in Finland and all adaptors you can get here are those crappy 2x-keyb-mouse-combos that just won't work with the Model M. I don't want to order the proper adaptor from USA either because the shipping costs would be around $50. Is there anything I could try to get my keyboard and mobo live in peace together?

Do they sell any Belkin adaptors over there? They're quite cheap and common, yet they work with any of the old IBMs I've used.

Offline low-fi

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 12:59:17 »
Quote from: ch_123;96761
Do they sell any Belkin adaptors over there? They're quite cheap and common, yet they work with any of the old IBMs I've used.

http://www.boostep.fi/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=2269&cPath=504_430_1330&&products_id=74644

Could this one do the trick?

Edit: I've actually tried an adaptor that looked like this one (it was white and wasn't branded, though). The keyboard worked after a reboot if I disconnected the Model M cable from the keyboard itself and then reconnected the cable. However the keyboard lagged horribly and playing any games was impossible because the adaptor totally destroyed the Model M's ability to press a few keys (for example, rctrl+rshift+left+right) simultaneously. :(

Oh, by the way, does an USB adaptor have an effect on Model M's "rollover-capability"? Has anyone noticed?
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:08:11 by low-fi »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:12:38 »
That's the one I have, same model number. There does seem to be one issue with it - sometimes (and this doesnt seem to happen often to me) I find the keyboard 'resets' itself (it stops taking input for a second or two, and the light flash on and off) however, I seemed to notice that this happened more often when I had a mouse plugged in to the adapter as well as the keyboard, so I'm not sure whether it was the mouse causing it or not.

Other than that minor idiosyncracy, it works just as well as when I had it plugged into the PS/2 port. At any rate, considering how cheap it is compared to getting one shipped in from the US, it's worth a shot.

Offline IBI

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:31:55 »
Quote from: low-fi;96773
Oh, by the way, does an USB adaptor have an effect on Model M's "rollover-capability"? Has anyone noticed?

From your experience it sounds like the cheap ones can do, but the Model M is pretty poor in that respect so I wouldn't worry about it.

There are a couple of places that sell the Blue Cube that clickykeyboards recommends in the UK (namely here and this ebay listing) but I've not found any that publish european delivery prices. You could certainly enquire about getting it delivered to finland though.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline low-fi

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 June 2009, 13:37:14 »
Quote from: ch_123;96784

Other than that minor idiosyncracy, it works just as well as when I had it plugged into the PS/2 port. At any rate, considering how cheap it is compared to getting one shipped in from the US, it's worth a shot.

I'll check this cable out. Thanks for the help.

If it doesn't work, I might just as well try out my rusty soldering skills.. After all, in the case of a total f-up I would still have my Unicomp Spacesaver in working order.. ;)

Offline low-fi

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 June 2009, 02:44:15 »
Oh, I now realized I was mistaken about my Model M: it's an ITALIAN 102-key Model M. The reason for buying an Italian one was that its layout resembled the Finnish/Swedish the most. The Belkin adaptor should work with 102-key 'boards as well, right?