Author Topic: Signature Plastics G81-3000 keycaps  (Read 15537 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Signature Plastics G81-3000 keycaps
« on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 19:59:54 »
So last week I purchased a $18 dollar set of caps from signature plastics as well as some badass Red PANIC buttons and a white on red ESC (of course...duh!).

I have to say that i am ****ing loving these caps on my custom poker. they are the bees knees and are the cheapest set of caps I own. They just feel ****ing boss on my MX Blues with O-Rings.  The F and J are concave rather than bumped and i also love that.  i just want to type and type and type with these guys.

buy these cap fiends. you will cherish them and they are ****ing dirt cheap.  they are laser-etched but what matters is how they feel. and they just feel right.

|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Signature Plastics G81-3000 keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:07:53 »
Cheaper ones here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43745.0

$8 per set.  And they are DS.

Except the space bar.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 22:23:11 »
Did they come with scoops? I was unsure if the 81 series lasered boards has scoops.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:34:05 »
mine have scoops on the F and J. i called them concave but you can call them scopes if you want...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 01:54:56 »
So last week I purchased a $18 dollar set of caps from signature plastics as well as some badass Red PANIC buttons and a white on red ESC (of course...duh!).

I have to say that i am ****ing loving these caps on my custom poker. they are the bees knees and are the cheapest set of caps I own. They just feel ****ing boss on my MX Blues with O-Rings.  The F and J are concave rather than bumped and i also love that.  i just want to type and type and type with these guys.

buy these cap fiends. you will cherish them and they are ****ing dirt cheap.  they are laser-etched but what matters is how they feel. and they just feel right.

Could you provide a link to more information on said caps, please?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline calavera

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:23:43 »
http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

laser edged. eww
However, I do agree that thinner key caps go better with blue switches personally.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 07:53:58 »
Cherry POM caps are scooped, PBT have nubs (unless you find a really old set where they may be scooped or flat like rest of home row).

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:22:13 »

laser edged. eww
However, I do agree that thinner key caps go better with blue switches personally.

i really groove on them even with the lasered caps. its about the feeling. however with that said there is no doubt i will have to replace these caps way faster than my PBT or doubleshot sets.  i expect legend fade within 8 months. that said these were 18 freaking dollars.

these caps with WYSE modifiers look insanely nice on my low profile aluminum case poker.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:41:36 »

laser edged. eww

i really groove on them even with the lasered caps. its about the feeling. however with that said there is no doubt i will have to replace these caps way faster than my PBT or doubleshot sets.  i expect legend fade within 8 months. that said these were 18 freaking dollars.

these caps with WYSE modifiers look insanely nice on my low profile aluminum case poker.

You have POM keycaps, with laser in-fills.  Those are super nice keycaps.  I have a set myself.  I just wish SP sold the whole 87-key or 104-key sets (instead of the 37 alpha keys they are selling now for $18).  Those POM caps are like an unknown secret for some reason.  The only other person who truly appreciates them besides you and me, is IvanIvanovich who posted above I see.  Well, we can't say we haven't tried to spread the word on how awesome these SP POM caps feel.  As for wear, I would not be so sure that the legends are going to rub off so soon.  That laser in-fill material is very thick, and it sinks into the keycap a bit, so I dunno how you are going to get that white gunk out of the laser indented holes it's in, but maybe, I dunno, but I think it will take years, not months, if ever.  And lastly, I know you are enjoying them on your MX blue switches, but personally, I think those POM caps really shine on MX red switches.  For some reason the slick POM caps on fast-typing reds really goes great together.  But they feel great on any keyboard.  Enjoy your great find!
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:54:24 »
What do they feel like? Very intrigued now! If only they came in white.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:26:00 »
What do they feel like? Very intrigued now! If only they came in white.

its hard to say. it seems like they have a lower profile and they have a smooth curve to the caps themselves. the profile matches my WYSE modifiers which is a serious plus. whatever profile old WYSE caps are is what these guys are. i feel my fingers slip a little when typing, and although this causes a few typos i really like it. it is hard to put into words just what these little bastards feel like. good enough that i felt compelled to tell you guys about them. plus they are 18 freaking dollars directly from SP. F and J are curved.

it should also be noted that i always install o-rings on my MX Blue boards. This helps a lot. makes the feel complete.

laser edged. eww

You have POM keycaps, with laser in-fills.  Those are super nice keycaps.  I have a set myself.  I just wish SP sold the whole 87-key or 104-key sets (instead of the 37 alpha keys they are selling now for $18).  Those POM caps are like an unknown secret for some reason.  The only other person who truly appreciates them besides you and me, is IvanIvanovich who posted above I see.  Well, we can't say we haven't tried to spread the word on how awesome these SP POM caps feel.  As for wear, I would not be so sure that the legends are going to rub off so soon.  That laser in-fill material is very thick, and it sinks into the keycap a bit, so I dunno how you are going to get that white gunk out of the laser indented holes it's in, but maybe, I dunno, but I think it will take years, not months, if ever.  And lastly, I know you are enjoying them on your MX blue switches, but personally, I think those POM caps really shine on MX red switches.  For some reason the slick POM caps on fast-typing reds really goes great together.  But they feel great on any keyboard.  Enjoy your great find!

i can tell you it feels like i have never typed this fast on them. and you may have noticed i have been commenting more on this site. that is because i just want to use them.

i am thinking about getting a few of these. i am not sure about the profile on Ivan's purple modifier group buy but i think these would look great with those modifiers. yea i am going to get another set of these and put those on one of my GH60's. probably the red switch one i plan on building thanks to your tip.

side thought: o-rings on reds? what do geekers think?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:29:44 »
You could try 50A o-rings for reds (from Amazon): I tried them on reds, and the feel was not augmented significantly, but since reds are so easy to bottom out, I'd get thin and not too soft o-rings for them.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 18:12:56 »
They are not DCS profile (like WYSE). They are the coveted Cherry profile:)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 22:53:07 »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XWXCE/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the o-rings I use. 

So these are DCS. Very nice. I should try to retrobrite my WYSE alpha caps. They need it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 07:39:01 »
If you want a full set of POM keep eyes for G80-8113L**US-2 on ebay. They pop up for ~ $20 from time to time.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:46:04 »
If you want a full set of POM keep eyes for G80-8113L**US-2 on ebay. They pop up for ~ $20 from time to time.

Ivan droppin the knowledge on us. Thanks!

ohhh man. they are really expensive on ebay right now. $275?! christ people are ****ing retarded about pricing old used items. this isnt a topre or ssk model m.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 11:30:50 »
$20, no picture though so... quite a gamble on it's condition. Could look for 8200 too, those are also good. Keep in mind it's a G80 so you will get 100+ switch too that you can use for project or sell off to make back some money.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 11:32:23 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 11:40:03 »
Aw EU Layout :(  I'm on a lookout for good cheap caps too.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:52:40 »
Cherry replaced US with EU, it is same thing but with a Euro symbol. It's not really important.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 23:59:55 »
i bid on it.

back off you fiends.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 16:37:13 »
ok I won it and paid for it. we will see what it is and if it was worth it.

i will update once it arrives.

Edit: wtf are cherry mx gold crosspoint switches? What color?

I will probably desolder the board.. So at this point I am just curious.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 June 2013, 20:16:03 by tricheboars »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:11:34 »
More than likely it will have MX browns, but also clears is a possibility on 8000 series. Hope it is in good shape for you.

Offline dante

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:20:02 »
I am going to call SP tomorrow and see if they can do full sets of POM in standard or even DSA format.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:27:16 »
I am going to call SP tomorrow and see if they can do full sets of POM in standard or even DSA format.

That would be very interesting to hear about!

Ivan, how would Clears be in these boards?  Is there such a thing as "vintage" Clears, akin to vintage Black vs. modern Black.  I own desoldering equipment now and would love to get some Clear switches for a TKL setup.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:28:55 »

oh zhit! let us know what they say!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:32:44 »
8000 series is more recent starting around 1998 or later as they are all winkey, so there won't be any vintage anything in them.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:52:03 »
Ah good point.  And I suppose there's no good way to identify switch color short of asking the seller to pull off a keycap?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:55:22 »
Seems they are inconsistent in these series and use the same model codes for both switches, so if there is another way I have not figured it out.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 12:03:48 »
This would be an amazing deal if the switches are Clear!  I can only hope to find similar.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 18:28:51 »
*fingers crossed for clear*

Offline dante

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 13:04:57 »
Ok after speaking with SP here is what I found out:

Signature Plastics does not produce those keycaps - they come from Cherry.  The only way you can order these is through a distributor.  I was referred to one called Datacal but I haven't contacted them yet.

So ... No DSA keycaps but Cherry profile is doable.  My reservation - and possibly someone can chime in - I seem to recall the G80-3000 having different spacing for the modifiers and space bar.  Is this correct?  If it is, are these easily modified?

When someone can answer that I'll contact Datacal and get more specifics on pricing.

WTF is POM such a pain in the ass to source?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 13:48:03 »
G80-3000 will have normal stem 1.25, but offcenter middle stem on the spacebars and of course only stepped caps locks. G81 have the stupid offcenter stem 1.25 only. I have tried to find sources of Cherry PBT/POM keycaps only, but so far have never found any. No clue why they are so unwilling to sell only the keycaps as I would be so happy to buy some ISO PBT returns for dyesubbing. I guess if can get a bulk deal on G80-3000LPCXY for a good price and not crazy MOQ some people would jump on that?

Did some digging, there are some new style MX3.0 Cherry keycap only sets available as KC104B that look pretty nice. I wouldn't mind set of these if they were a good price. Looks like average price from Chinese vendors is about $40/set.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2013, 10:42:44 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:28:06 »
wow that is quite the packaging for a set of caps.

does GMK make DSA profile POM caps?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:42:07 »
No GMK only make ABS as far as i have been told but they do offer sphericals too from old M8 era Cherry.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:20:59 »
whoa. Ivan you seem to have a GMK connect for your group buys. any chance on some sphericals?

Offline dante

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:18:54 »
Ivan: So in a nutshell ALL the keycaps will work minus the space bar?  You mentioned the side stepped capslock - but that's not a problem if it's still compatible.

Offline dante

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:28:15 »
Just found out that a distributor for Cherry keyboards is literally a town a way!

I'm going to call tomorrow and dish out some street justice!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:39:34 »
Basically stepped caps lock is a 1.25 key with a .5 spacer on the right edge. With the stem in the center of the 1.25 portion, so it is not going to be working on stuff that needs fulltouch with stem in the center of the 1.75 area.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:42:45 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:46:55 »
Just found out that a distributor for Cherry keyboards is literally a town a way!

I'm going to call tomorrow and dish out some street justice!
Word keep us posted.

Offline dante

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:37:46 »
I should be receiving pictures of G80-3000 keycaps sometime this weekend.  Blanks might be a possibility - but I have to first make sure the caps are correct.

The bad news is it sounds like Cherry distributors will not sell individual component parts separately unless you have a Business / file as a Business.  They will sell you a G80-3000 keyboard but not any replacement parts for example...

I'll let you know what I find out.  (ie: FU CHERRY!)

Offline dante

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 09:41:48 »
OK ... the guy sent me a listing for several cherry switches NOT keycaps .........

If I have time on Monday I'm going to call Cherry corp and try to talk some sense in to them.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 10:45:59 »
OK ... the guy sent me a listing for several cherry switches NOT keycaps .........

If I have time on Monday I'm going to call Cherry corp and try to talk some sense in to them.

What are they charging for switches?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:20:55 »
Good luck! I have tried many times to find some way to buy only the blank keycaps from Cherry but they act like it is a horrible inconvenience to sell them. I have never gotten anywhere other than them telling me about GMK and BSP. But those don't offer all of what we are looking for either.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 22:12:43 »
i purchased that g80-8113luve-2 that you linked ivan. this thing is pretty nice. the caps are in descent shape but the switches feel perfectly fine.

it came with browns and a few clears. i have already opened it up and started to modify it. i am going to make all the macro keys and function keys mx blues and leave the board as browns. also mx green on the numpad cluster cause why the **** not.

the caps with the windows are ****ty. i would have rather gotten blank caps or random customized caps for whatever register this attached too. that would be cooler than these window ****s.

Offline dante

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 18:24:23 »
Heard back from Cherry: They will not sell the keycaps separately. :(

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:48:26 »
Yeah I don't get it. I mean, they can sell us only the keycaps for 75% the price of an entire keyboard, yet they won't do it.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 21:38:07 »
perhaps cherry has some contracts with some OEM board manufacture's such as Ducky that sell their own caps or something. either that or they dont have the staff to successfully run a keycap operation. or cherry is fine with their place in the market and want third party manufacture's to produce caps to keep cherry switches popular? or maybe there just isnt enough demand for cherry to bother?

i dont know. however i do know that businesses are not as cut and dry as people make them out to be on the internet.  **** is complicated. contracts are weird and everyone loves the money that they know they have.

curiosity: is cherry unionized? they are german. sometimes unions dont want to take risks. germany has many unions, and they are very smart but this could have something to do with it.

sidenote: i am a democratic socialist so dont read too much into my curiosity.

Offline majestihack

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:26:03 »
After reading how much tricheboars liked the G81-3000 set I just ordered them along with a red Esc key and the doubleshot PBT arrow keys for my Majestouch2. My first key purchase, and so it begins! For the other keys I'll try to find one of the used boards that IvanIvanovich recommended. Are there other boards or sources of Cherry profile keys that I should look for that would be a good match for this G81-3000 set?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 16:10:45 »
i got a g80-8113luve-2 on ebay for 30 bucks (including shipping) . thing is way pimp. cam with the pom caps. love it!!

post pics once you get your pom!

Offline majestihack

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 14:22:55 »
There a refurbished G80-8113LRDUS-2 on ebay for $85, but that's more than I'd want to pay. I'll keep a watch on ebay for one closer to what you paid. When looking for a G80-8113 or the G80-8200 that IvanIvanovich mentioned does it matter what letters/numbers are at the end, like the luve-2 after yours?

Are there any good sources of new Cherry profile keys?

I'll let you know how I like the keys and post some pictures when I get my keyboard sorted out. I'm really looking forward to taking off the stock keys.