Author Topic: List the key cap sets you have tried and which one do you prefer the most.  (Read 9848 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: List the key cap sets you have tried and which one do you prefer the most.
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 23:56:18 »
Depends on the board I'm using. Here's what I've used in the past year, in order of preference:

SA on HHKB - Typing heaven, silenced sliders or not.
HHKB PBT
DSA Dyesub PBT - I don't mind flat profile, but only on 60% boards.
SA on Cherry MX boards - Listed lower because of how much SA acts as a megaphone, particularly on any keys/boards that have ping. Makes a nice sounding clack, just louder than I like.
Varmilo Lasered PBT - Front Legends. Surprisingly nice.
Vortex Dyesub PBT
OEM Profile PBT - Qtan set IIRC.
Ducky ABS
Novatouch ABS
Razer ABS  - Only set I actively dislike.

Thank you for your comment on SA on Cherry, that amplified the sound, it makes a lot of sense.

Offline KarimDK

• Humorous and curious
    • my heatware
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 03:09:55 »
SA profile: Pulse- makes a nice sound.Really thick keycaps.
DCS:Toxic set- feeling ok. Nothing's special.Too thin tho.
DSA: Quartz ,Patriot : they look great when capturing photos. However, I feel like they're too thin and not that worth prices. and make weird sounds tho.
IMSTO: Cyrillic. it's kinda nothing special.
Cherry - beige sets and TA, would highly prefer. Very nice profile.
<3 <3 <3 be patience,I'm coming to buy stuff

Offline zslane

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 16:57:29 »
1. Double-shot SA is tops with me. (Pulse, Round4 SPH, Round5 Honey/Cadet)
2. Double-shot DSA would be next. (Dolch)
3. Dye-sub DSA would be third. (Granite)

Everything else I avoid. No more cylindrical keycaps for me.

Offline Kola93

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:46:52 »
Ranked from best to worst:

1) Cherry POM blanks - unfortunately lacking layout support
2) Cherry/GMK ABS DS - unfortunately becomes shiny over time, but has the best sound and feel when new
3) Cherry/BSP PBT dyesubbed - unfortunately can be a little harsh on bottoming out at times, it is definitely a more brittle and harsh plastic

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:44:14 »
I recently became aware of a sort of unseen characteristic of OG Cherry double shot key caps, and it is that their smooth surface, along with the material they are made of, do not keep dirt as easily as other plastics and surfaces tend to do. For example, I had one copy of Matt's Skull Squadron that I used for a couple of weeks, the caps keep considerable amounts of dirt in their rough surface, even when they are ABS double shots. In a second dirt magnet place comes Granite, that tend also to get dirty, but it takes more time to accumulate it, maybe a couple of months, the third place comes for a PBT set in Cherry profile that I had that takes over three months to get very dirty. In all the cases I was in need to soaked them in water with soap for hours, and then gently scrub the dirt off. The Beige DS OG Cherry I am typing now, has been clean two times in three years, it is being used in the same conditions as the others, and it looks pristine.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:00:10 »
I've only tried GMK Doubleshots but like them better than stock Novatouch.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:23:06 »
I've only tried GMK Doubleshots but like them better than stock Novatouch.

You have been spoiled :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:27:29 »
I myself find Cherry profile the most all-round lovebird for my fingers. I have tried Cherry old dye-sub and new GMK Doubleshot and they are both fantastic. While my finger are shot and my palm is tiny, low profile fits most of my long-term usage. Although I own SA R3 and OEM keyset, they are only for decoration or sometime to refresh my hands' feeling.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:33:53 »
I myself find Cherry profile the most all-round lovebird for my fingers. I have tried Cherry old dye-sub and new GMK Doubleshot and they are both fantastic. While my finger are shot and my palm is tiny, low profile fits most of my long-term usage. Although I own SA R3 and OEM keyset, they are only for decoration or sometime to refresh my hands' feeling.

How do you compare the feeling of double shot and dye-sub Cherry, OG?

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:41:45 »
Depends on the board I'm using. Here's what I've used in the past year, in order of preference:

HHKB PBT
SA on Cherry MX boards - Listed lower because of how much SA acts as a megaphone, particularly on any keys/boards that have ping. Makes a nice sounding clack, just louder than I like.
Vortex Dyesub PBT
Ducky ABS
Novatouch ABS

Updating my list, as I'm finding I like keysets with bars less and less:

Cherry POM - I like it so much, I'm making sure I have a board with offset caps and space bar for it to reside on permanently.
HHKB PBT
Vortex Dyesub PBT
Ducky ABS
Novatouch ABS

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r