Author Topic: where to buy blank PBT key caps?  (Read 8154 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
where to buy blank PBT key caps?
« on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 05:25:58 »
i want to buy blank dark grey PBT keys for a black otaku filco tenkeyless, similar to the pic below. i have a few questions:

1) it's basically 54 keys all in size 1x and a space bar, so do i need to buy them in a certain kit or can i just buy the 54 individual blank keys?
2) do all the rows have the same shapes or do i need to specify each row when ordering?
3) can i email and order directly from Signature Plastic, or do i need to participate in one of those gigantic group buys on here? the group buys only do ABS and not PBT right?
4) would the height of the replacement PBT be a perfect match to the height of the black stock filco modifier keys? or do i need to also order the blank modifier keys of the same brand to match?
5) can someone help me with the order code for the round 4 group buy from SP for those 54 1x blank gray keys? i looked at the round4 wiki, but still not sure how to do it correctly. is BLANKSPH/BLANKTKL/VERYDARKGREY the correct code?
6) if i don't order from SP, where else can i buy those 54 blank grey keys?

thanks in advance!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 05:40:50 »
yea your not going to find PBT keycaps in that color out side SP or a groupbuy. Nice keycaps sets on those boards though.

Offline absfac

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 16:32:28 »
Can't answer every question but:

2. Filco uses different profile keys for each row.  Get a keypuller and pull a few keys and you'll see the difference.

3. Group buys vary, but unless otherwise specified you should assume ABS.

4. Signature Plastics uses a slightly lower profile key than stock Filco.  If you want consistent key heights, you have to order a complete set from SP.  See "other notes" here for a picture comparing profiles of each row.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Key+Reference+-+Pics+and+specifications+for+various+manufacturers+keys#Signature+Plastics+Geekhack+Custom+Key+Set

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 01:11:55 »
You'll need to contact SP about thet, they will very likely have some on hand.

You'll need to figure out which "rows" you want from. Not counting function keys, you'll want 13 from the number row (function-row keys are the same height, except on the race keyboard)
Then you'll want 12+3 from the QWE-row (counting the numpad) and 11+3 from the ASD-row, and 10+3+1 from the ZXC-row.(the . key is the same profile as the row above it, usually)

SP doesn't make PBT spacebars. Also note that the |\ key isn't 1x :p

Here's a link to SP's PDF of DCS PBT inventory:
http://keycapsdirect.com/inventorypdfs/DCSPBTInventory.pdf

Edit: I mean "SP's DCS PBT INV" :P

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 04:47:01 »
thanks for detailed response dorkvader, that was very helpful. i'll email SP and post back the results

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 18:29:03 »
ok this is a huge turnoff. this is the ridiculous prices melissa quoted me:

Pricing for stock keycaps is $1.00 each.
To setup and manufacture one single space bar would be $98.
The price will be $50 each for the Row 3 keycapswith homing bar.
These prices do not include shipping costs.

$198 + shipping for 2 keys (with homing bump) and a space bar hahaha. guess i'll be stuck with lame group buys :(

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 02:13:58 »
If it was me, I would just get a set of white KBC and dye them. A quick dip in rit light black should get a pretty close approximation of that grey.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 03:35:49 »
Quote from: lysol;471182
If it was me, I would just get a set of white KBC and dye them. A quick dip in rit light black should get a pretty close approximation of that grey.

good suggestion, i'll probably do that. how do i dye them and where can i find more info on it?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 05:40:25 »
nevermind, i found all the dye info in this thread if anyone else had the same questions:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:4962&do=comments

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 13:26:39 »
I tried the RIT dye but was unsuccessful a while back. Warped all of my keys. Just be careful when you use the stuff and make sure you monitor it.