Author Topic: [IC]Bespoke Leather and Wood Wrist Rest  (Read 4658 times)

Offline laploom_o_doom

[IC]Bespoke Leather and Wood Wrist Rest
« on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 13:42:33 »
255757-0

Hi Geekhack Community!
I recently decided to combine a few interests to fulfill a personal need and, after a fair bit of interest from members of the mechanical keyboard enthusiast community, I was convinced to offer my services as a leather and wood craftsman.

Design
After not being satisfied with many commercially available wrist rests, I decided to take things upon myself and create a simple and functional piece to make lengthy sessions at a desk more enjoyable without sacrificing aesthetics. By using beautifully grained domestic and exotic hardwoods and coupling them with high quality leathers from reputable French, Italian and American tanneries, I was able to create a functional item that is visually appealing and a pleasure to interface with.

Manufacture
Being a small shop without large machinery or CNC capabilities, I set out to design an item that I could produce in-house to keep cost to a minimum while elevating the appearance of the final product to be higher than a typical weekend DIY project.
Wood and leather elements are created by myself so there is a great deal of customization to allow for each custom piece to be as unique as the user. Typical pricing is expected to be $60-80.

Specifications

Dimensions
4 inch (10cm) deep with a 5 degree angle. Widths will vary from 60% up to Full Size. (Pricing will vary slightly to account for extra materials associated with larger rests.)
Wood
Walnut and Curly Maple - High quality Rubio Monocoat will provide a durable matte finish that can be taken to a satin level if so desired.
Leather
Italian Badalassi Carlo Pueblo Black, Brown and Natural - This high quality Italian vegetable tanned leather has a distinct texture to the finished side that gives it a unique rustic look and feel that patinas nicely with use.
Italian Conceria Walpier Buttero Black, Brown and Natural -  This high quality Italian vegetable tanned leather has a smooth surface on the finished side that gives it a highly refined look and feel that patinas nicely with use.
Leather is secured to wood using high quality Japanese glue to prevent the chemical smell associated with other cements. (Durability testing is ongoing. Separation does not appear to be a concern particularly due to the static nature of the interface.)
To allow for a finely tuned height, leather feet will be available. (These are currently in the development phase and will be made available to order as a neutral height or as a riser for higher profile cases.)
Personalization
Fine decorative hand stitching will be offered to make each piece reflect the user's personality and desired aesthetic using high quality Fil au Chinois French Linen Cable thread. (The option of stitching directly to the wood is being explored though may require a heavier thread for the sake of proportionality)
Each rest will be numbered with a brass plate affixed to the rest at no charge corresponding to the order in which each request is received.
Exotic wood and leather color requests are welcome! I will do my best to source materials responsibly to keep pricing reasonable while making sure ethical forestry practices are adhered to.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 11:25:19 by laploom_o_doom »

Offline laploom_o_doom

Re: [IC]Bespoke Leather and Wood Wrist Rest
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 13:43:44 »
Feedback via the form would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Round 1
17 November 2020
Hi all! I received a ton of valuable feedback and will be doing some more prototyping to finalize the small details of the design while testing the build quality to make sure it lasts.
See original post for updated material specifications and sizing options. Thank you all for the support!

UPDATE: Round 2
24 November 2020
Progress update for those interested. A lost package with leather samples and thread is slowing down providing more product photos. User testing uncovered a flaw with the feet. Despite sitting flat and not rocking on 4 user's desks, a 5th user experienced some rocking. Proposed remedy for this is adjustable feet for fine tuning. Hardware for testing is inbound and an update should be available in the next week.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 07:42:35 by laploom_o_doom »

Offline apexshikari

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 13:48:40 »
Looks fantastic :thumbs up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vellioh

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 22:56:10 »
You have certainly tickled my interest...

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 12:42:53 »
Really dig this! Been looking for a high quality wrist rest. Would love to see more common size options, such as 60% and 75%. Also leather branding with a cool logo could be pretty cool as an optional add-on. I'm all in for a Walnut + Natural leather combo!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 13:26:00 »
How is the leather attached to the wood in the example pic?

I might be interested if the leather is stitched on or wrapped entirely around the wood and stitched (if it covers the wood entirely, cheaper wood is probably a bonus).
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Techichi

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 14:23:22 »
Saw your post on reddit. Good to see you're exploring the idea of a group buy. I filled out the IC form.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 14:45:55 »
Glwic, that is a good price for a product like this
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline laploom_o_doom

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:46:14 »
I appreciate the feedback and the kind words from everyone who took the time to post here and/or respond to the survey!

Really dig this! Been looking for a high quality wrist rest. Would love to see more common size options, such as 60% and 75%. Also leather branding with a cool logo could be pretty cool as an optional add-on. I'm all in for a Walnut + Natural leather combo!

I have the capability to brand the wood or leather but am still in the developmental phase on the business side of things so no logo yet. If there is a strong desire, I could certainly look into procuring letters for initials though!

How is the leather attached to the wood in the example pic?

I might be interested if the leather is stitched on or wrapped entirely around the wood and stitched (if it covers the wood entirely, cheaper wood is probably a bonus).

I updated the original post but to answer your question directly, it is adhered with water based glue (no separation issues on the prototype which is getting 10-12 hours of use daily) If you are interested and still have concerns about longevity I'd be happy to discuss a custom alternative!

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:54:06 »
Never really WANTED a wrist rest until now. Needed one for taller boards, but this just looks marvelous.

Offline laploom_o_doom

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 11:21:46 »
I'll update the original post but to give you a direct response, I am in the development stages of stacked leather feet that can elevate it to a specific height for users with higher profile cases. Thanks for the insight!

Never really WANTED a wrist rest until now. Needed one for taller boards, but this just looks marvelous.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 14:12:40 »
Cool design! Would love to see a black wrist rest, and some leather samples!

Offline laploom_o_doom

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 14:25:06 »
I like where your head is at here. I'll see if I can get something like this together before launching a group buy.
Cool design! Would love to see a black wrist rest, and some leather samples!