Author Topic: What makes a keycap set "valuable" to YOU?  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Crab2020

What makes a keycap set "valuable" to YOU?
« on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 20:00:41 »
Kind of new into the hobby, i just recently put orders in for a couple of artisans and GMK sets as i was told GMK was a good place to start. I was just curious, what makes a set have "value" in your eyes? Is it colorways, or a certain manufacturer? What makes you look at a set and say "yes, thats what i want!" ?

Offline lolafineday

Re: What makes a keycap set "valuable" to YOU?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 20:20:32 »
Colorway and how it will go with the boards I have.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Crab2020

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 00:59:36 »

That’s what goes through my mind, I saw some rather plain looking sets for rather high prices and people seem to love them so it got me thinking.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 05:15:23 »

That’s what goes through my mind, I saw some rather plain looking sets for rather high prices and people seem to love them so it got me thinking.
All preference, some people like blue some people like red, some people like crazy some people like minimal. Etc etc...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline dexie

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 05:17:28 »
Compatibility is on the first place. If set does not provide at least basic ISO compatibility there is no value for me at all, because I could not put it on any of my boards. Manufacturer goes on the second place. Even ****tiest GMK or ePBT sets are more desired than knock-off aliexpress sets.
ISO Life

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 19:42:26 »
Kind of new into the hobby, i just recently put orders in for a couple of artisans and GMK sets as i was told GMK was a good place to start. I was just curious, what makes a set have "value" in your eyes? Is it colorways, or a certain manufacturer? What makes you look at a set and say "yes, thats what i want!" ?

If it looks awesome and feels awesome that's all that matters.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 20:22:26 »
I am very picky. The colorway is the most important to me. I used to really like busy and bright sets but my tastes have changed. My main two GMK sets are WoB and Skeletor. I would like to have the Serika Alphas. I am not really a fan of the mods.

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 22:11:09 »

The plain stuff, im assuming youre referring to GMK 9009/classic retro, or the beige colorways?

Those generally fetch high prices due to being a generally classic/timeless colorway that fits on any neutral colored board.

Also, it tends to hit a low amount of orders, so when people DO decide they want em, not many people are selling them, so the value kinda shoots high. the original run of GMK 9009 went up to like $2-350 or so IIRC.

Then there are the even more rare variants like BSP keysets (tulip/peacock). Those are pretty to look at
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Crab2020

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 22:06:49 »

The plain stuff, im assuming youre referring to GMK 9009/classic retro, or the beige colorways?

Those generally fetch high prices due to being a generally classic/timeless colorway that fits on any neutral colored board.

Also, it tends to hit a low amount of orders, so when people DO decide they want em, not many people are selling them, so the value kinda shoots high. the original run of GMK 9009 went up to like $2-350 or so IIRC.

Then there are the even more rare variants like BSP keysets (tulip/peacock). Those are pretty to look at

That was one of the ones i saw and said holy cow to lol. It piqued my interest. As the weeks go by and the more i browse on IC i find myself more drawn to the colorways primarily and then i look at the novelties second. I guess i have the same interest towards a lot of the artisans, some look really good and really well made and the price is understandable and some look rather poorly (painted?) colored and people go crazy for them but im still pretty fresh into the hobby so maybe i just dont have an eye for everything yet

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 16:59:45 »

That was one of the ones i saw and said holy cow to lol. It piqued my interest. As the weeks go by and the more i browse on IC i find myself more drawn to the colorways primarily and then i look at the novelties second. I guess i have the same interest towards a lot of the artisans, some look really good and really well made and the price is understandable and some look rather poorly (painted?) colored and people go crazy for them but im still pretty fresh into the hobby so maybe i just dont have an eye for everything yet

For sure, on the topic of artisans. There are a lot of factors that go into the value of keycaps.

1. Maker
2. Detail of the sculpt
3. Colorway
4. Quantity (how many of these caps/colorways exist?)
5. Meme (literally some caps just shoot up in price for no crazy reason)

Among the top producers, there are a few notable makers whose keycap values almost always shoot up above retail (For good reason, too). Clack (the first, if not at least one of the first, artisan), Bro Caps, Keyforge, ETF/Nightcaps,  GAF Caps, Booper, etc.

The more you dive into the community, the more you'll get a feel for what things are valued at, and WHY they are valued that way.

Enjoy your time here :)
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 17:54:56 »
A keyset is valuable especially if it's in g20 or dsa profile, and looks quite fun to type on.

Offline aleck

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 19:04:35 »
If they support 7u spacebar bottom row, are great quality and look simple, I'd buy it

Offline Crab2020

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 19:06:20 »
I also now know what its like to find some artisans or cap sets I REALLY like just to have them cancelled right before it goes to BG ;(