Author Topic: [IC] GMK Sloth - GB starts next week!  (Read 92770 times)

Offline Pizza_on_Pineapple

Lovely set. I'm looking forward to it!

Offline willyG

Love this set. Anyone got a suggested brown / maybe olive boaard that would look good with it?

Offline chowder266

another artisan would be nice! otherwise loving the set!
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2020, 18:57:11 by chowder266 »

Offline driftingbunnies

another artisan would be nice! otherwise loving the set!

Thanks! Once we get closer, i'll announce other artisan maker collabs we have in line! Those will most likely be available through raffle. We'll probably just stick to one RAMA though. :)

Offline asianfork

• Alice
That Rama cap looking super cute.

Offline tekneeqz

i dont remember replying on this but i need this still lol

Offline dlavelle94

Did not know I needed a sloth themed workstation until now.
IN.

Offline SL1ST

Can't wait to have this set in my hands. Always loved sloths and the art here couldn't be better. Thanks for your efforts bringing this into existence.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
waiting for gb

Offline driftingbunnies

waiting for gb

I'll probably post some updates in June :)

Offline lamp

color is lovely, cant wait

Offline deanra

congrats on this set.. really beautiful..

from a design standpoint, I'd personally love to see the font color on the alphas being black (or at least darker than they are now..)
it gives the set a bit more "pop" and looks a bit less washed out..

otherwise really love it and am def. in for base+novelties

Offline driftingbunnies

from a design standpoint, I'd personally love to see the font color on the alphas being black (or at least darker than they are now..)

Thank you for the feedback! I think changing the font color to black would break the muted feel that I'm going for. There are sets that have done that and it really destroyed the set in my eyes.

Offline deanra

Thank you for the feedback! I think changing the font color to black would break the muted feel that I'm going for. There are sets that have done that and it really destroyed the set in my eyes.

It's all subjective :)
Personally I don't think it would disturb the beautiful muted feel that you've got going on the keycap colours and the accents..

Take a look at RAL 000 25 00 for the alpha font color... It's much softer than a black and should keep your color balance and soft tones..

Anyway, that's my last comment on the subject.. great set! start the GB now :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 11:58:22 by deanra »

Offline Bonsa

Man I'm so tired of GMK kitting. As an ortho user I have to pay more for less keys in the end.
I really love this set, just wish it could've run in KAT or somewhere where I didn't have to buy 150 keys to only use 47 of them.
I don't mean to disrespect the designer, the compatability of this set is amazing and very well thought out.
I love sloths, I love this set.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Man I'm so tired of GMK kitting. As an ortho user I have to pay more for less keys in the end.
I really love this set, just wish it could've run in KAT or somewhere where I didn't have to buy 150 keys to only use 47 of them.
I don't mean to disrespect the designer, the compatability of this set is amazing and very well thought out.

People should stop acting like KAT is the end-all, be-all solution and GMK killer. Keep in mind that no custom KAT set has shipped yet, and we don't yet know for sure how good their reverse dye sub is. I own KAM Starry Night, and the reverse dye sub on the few black novelty keys is great, but making a full reverse dye subbed set is a whole 'nother ball game. We don't know what the failure rate on those novelty kits was. Maybe only 10% of them passed QC, who knows (they made tons of extras for that GB). Now imagine scaling that to a full set.

Also, not to mention that I've personally had issues with stems cracking on my KAT Alpha set. In my experience, MX Clears destroy KAT stems, and anything wider probably does too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the profile and I love how my KAT and KAM sets look and feel, but that doesn't change the fact that KAT is not yet a proven solution for custom sets. GMK is a tried and true solution with tens if not hundreds of thousands of sets in circulation and close to zero problems. It's no wonder that it's the go-to choice for a lot of designers.

Please don't think this is anything personal against you, I just felt like addressing the overall sentiment that I feel is currently present in the community regarding KAT.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 07:04:39 by konstantin »

Offline driftingbunnies

Thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm for the set! I totally feel you when I'm looking to outfit my alice layout board but need to pay extra to purchase an addon just for the spacebars and extra alpha key.

One thing I will say though is that paying more for less keys doesn't really communicate the whole picture of why that happens. In this community, ortho, ISO, 40s, ergo, and sometimes even numpad users are considered niche layouts. In most industries, niche products in that particular industry will generally cost more than the mainstream products. We see this in food where you have regular food vs Organic food. We see this in computers where extremely small computers ITX or extremely large computers E-ATX will generally cost you more when you have the same functionality as the more mainstream ATX layout.

Even our hobby as a whole, we are paying way more for a niche product compared to a mainstream mechanical keyboard or rubber dome keyboard. So while I understand your pain, I think that until a niche layout becomes mainstream, it will generally cost more to support it. (KAT is sort of an exception but the costs of it is masked by the production of other layouts by how KAT determines MOQ. Also the fact that KAT is dye-sub means there are no molds required so a lot of the unique keys aren't viewed as any more unique than a normal alpha key.)

Offline Bonsa

Yes, I understand the both of you. Especially the quality part, Konstantin. I hadn't thought that trough. Better compatability is worthless if the quality lacks.

Anyway, it might be time for me to grow up and invest in this.
Thank you both for your replies.

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [IC] GMK Sloth - GB month, Vendors, and Artisan announcement!
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 20:50:56 »
Vendors and artisans announced on the top of the OP  :thumb:

Offline dlavelle94

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 06:32:21 »
Amazing, take my money now please.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
Re: [IC] GMK Sloth
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:43:30 »
Please, a render on any E-White 65% board (Koyu, Think6.5, etc.) please  ;D Just bought the Milk M65-B and i need something to go with it... this might be it.

I'll make that request and see if my guy has time to do a render for that, thanks :)

This is a pretty interesting set for sure! Can't say I'm in love with the theming, but I do really like the base colorway. I could see myself picking up a base set when this goes live! Also if you do go back & rework the colors at all I would suggest maybe going with a slightly darker, less brownish gray for the mods & alpha legends. I think it would look great with that adjustment personally, although it would take it away from the theming. Anyways GL with this project!

When looking at the mod color in the RAL book, it's actually quite dark. The brownish gray is sort of intended due to the theme. I tried changing it to a little greenish but the slight hint of brown looked better. TBH, the brown is more noticeable in the renders compared to the actual RAL book. I'll take some pictures later to show what it looks like.

Thank you for sharing a picture of the RAL color cards in the OP.  Could you please share the RAL codes?  Thanks!

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [IC] GMK Sloth
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 08:26:30 »
Please, a render on any E-White 65% board (Koyu, Think6.5, etc.) please  ;D Just bought the Milk M65-B and i need something to go with it... this might be it.

I'll make that request and see if my guy has time to do a render for that, thanks :)

This is a pretty interesting set for sure! Can't say I'm in love with the theming, but I do really like the base colorway. I could see myself picking up a base set when this goes live! Also if you do go back & rework the colors at all I would suggest maybe going with a slightly darker, less brownish gray for the mods & alpha legends. I think it would look great with that adjustment personally, although it would take it away from the theming. Anyways GL with this project!

When looking at the mod color in the RAL book, it's actually quite dark. The brownish gray is sort of intended due to the theme. I tried changing it to a little greenish but the slight hint of brown looked better. TBH, the brown is more noticeable in the renders compared to the actual RAL book. I'll take some pictures later to show what it looks like.

Thank you for sharing a picture of the RAL color cards in the OP.  Could you please share the RAL codes?  Thanks!

RAL 1013
RAL 090 40 10
RAL 8028

;D

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 19:58:02 »
Sorry guys, misunderstanding on my part, GB will actually be in the month of September.

Offline Mellohop

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 16:21:49 »
So glad to see this coming to fruition

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 17:43:39 »
Any chance for 1.25u space in the spacebars kit? Maybe instead of the second 1u (not sure how useful 2× 1u is outside of 40s).

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 07:25:29 »
Any chance for 1.25u space in the spacebars kit? Maybe instead of the second 1u (not sure how useful 2× 1u is outside of 40s).

Unfortunately we've already gone through and requested quotes so I think we're pretty set on kits already.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 07:37:41 »
Unfortunately we've already gone through and requested quotes so I think we're pretty set on kits already.

Alright, no worries, it's a fairly minor thing in what otherwise look like great kits.

Offline Prekrasnuyuzhizn

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 17:48:15 »
Just here to share my excitement! Cant wait for the GB!

Offline Sans5centS

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 14:23:16 »
Just came across this set and am super excited for it
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 14:51:38 by Sans5centS »

Offline arremkay

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 15:00:16 »
This set is really growing on me.. any chance you could do a render on a moss-colored zenith?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 15:16:20 »
This set is really growing on me.. any chance you could do a render on a moss-colored zenith?

That would be pretty cool. I don't believe my renderer has the zenith model or moss color code but I can ask!

Offline PM_ME_THE_SLOTHS

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 02:05:11 »
I saw space cables is doing the cable colab. Is there any chance the aviator will have some sort of sloth design on it like the current hammerhead does? Would be an instant buy if so!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 02:53:15 »
I saw space cables is doing the cable colab. Is there any chance the aviator will have some sort of sloth design on it like the current hammerhead does? Would be an instant buy if so!

How about a sloth cable bite?

https://www.zulily.com/p/sloth-cable-bite-protectors-set-of-two-420689-71305797.html

Offline 2QT2BSTR8

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 02:56:25 »

Show Image

https://www.zulily.com/p/sloth-cable-bite-protectors-set-of-two-420689-71305797.html
That cable placement would have me smiling too

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 15:12:46 »

I actually asked him to make it without anything on it in case people wanted to use it with other sets as well. He seems to be pretty responsive so you could ask him to add that if you get a chance to grab one.  :D

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 09:10:51 »

Show Image

haha this is awesome! I can't wait to see someone's setup decked out in sloth gear  :))

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [IC] GMK Sloth - Prices added!
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 10:42:20 »
Prices have been added to OP  :thumb:

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 21:27:47 »
Very nice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2020, 22:29:53 by dRnRcRr »

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 22:00:48 »
Excited for this one DB!
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2020, 22:03:45 by Rik.caffeinated »

Offline Penguindropings

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 11:57:04 »
The wait is almost over....  :eek:

Offline PM_ME_THE_SLOTHS

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 00:23:58 »

I actually asked him to make it without anything on it in case people wanted to use it with other sets as well. He seems to be pretty responsive so you could ask him to add that if you get a chance to grab one.  :D
Alright, sounds good! Before I message him, can I get your permission to use one of the novelty designs for it if he agrees?

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [IC] GMK Sloth - Prices and dates added!
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 11:00:12 »
Dates added!

Offline casualyeti

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 11:49:09 »
Yes. Interested. Yes.

Offline Ibleskim

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 23:38:23 »
this looks cooool can't wait for the GB if I can get them it will be my first gmk caps :thumb: that will be amazing  :blank:

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 14:59:36 »
this looks cooool can't wait for the GB if I can get them it will be my first gmk caps :thumb: that will be amazing  :blank:

This GB is unlimited so no worries about trying to order it. Just be sure to order within the window :)

Offline piknik17

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 13:07:08 »
This will be my first GMK keycap set. So excited  :D

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 13:30:49 »
Love the deskmat and rama and space cables (omg and that pin :3)
But I would feel kinda dumb rocking a deskmat without the matching keycaps so I guess I have to pick up that Lazy AF and Slovelties as well.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 13:37:15 »
Love the deskmat and rama and space cables (omg and that pin :3)
But I would feel kinda dumb rocking a deskmat without the matching keycaps so I guess I have to pick up that Lazy AF and Slovelties as well.

Haha, might as well right?  ;)

Offline piknik17

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:56:37 »
What case are you guys planning to pair with the GMK Sloths?  I am currently eyeing a Tofu65 in Chocolate.

Offline SenseiJia

• Hey you.
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 20:31:42 »
Hella cute.