Author Topic: Couple of case ideas for hhkb pro case  (Read 7018 times)

Offline dbfj

Couple of case ideas for hhkb pro case
« on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 00:25:00 »
I wanted something to store my hhkb, so I put this case together as a prototype using MDF, canvas and some salvaged foam.  The photos distort the angles a bit.  Planning on doing a more finished version week after next.  Also planning to put together a soft shell version in the near future.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 00:26:38 »
What is the max weight that you have in mind for this case?
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline dbfj

Re: Couple of case ideas for hhkb pro case
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 00:29:37 »
Here's a plastic case I picked up at this afternoon and stuffed with some foam (might add a vacuum mold).  I was surprised how well it fit.  $3.99 at Hobby Lobby.

Offline dbfj

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 00:34:42 »
What is the max weight that you have in mind for this case?

I'm assuming you're referring to the weight of the case, not the load-bearing capacity.  I didn't think that far in advance - it's 1/4 mdf.  Before I wrapped it in canvas, I rubber coated it, so it has some additional weight on top of that.  I expected it to be heavier than it is - the plan for the softer shell version will be much lighter.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 00:47:03 »
^ That is correct the max total weight of the case itself. IMO that plus the level of protection are very important, if this case targets the road warriors.
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline dbfj

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 00:56:31 »
Gotcha - I haven't weighed it yet - I'd like it to be a little lighter and a little less bulky.  If the soft version turns out ok, this might be something I'd use for storage.  As for load, it can handle a careful 240 lbs. :) but the magnetic latch is a bit flimsy and I might go with a velco strap.  If I can get up the nerve to try it (or find a salvage board), I'd like to make a vacuum mold version.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 12:38:09 »
Have you considered just getting a Pelican (or similar) case that has the foam inside? You could cut that to fit, or you could get the Pick-n-Pluck style and just pluck out the shape you need. That'll definitely cover you for protection, and they're relatively lightweight, being as they're designed for traveling already. The 1450 or iM2200 would be the right size to give you good padding on all sides, and enough room that you could cut a second slot into the foam to hold cables.

EDIT: one other nice thing about these cases is that they have dual locking holes, so you can secure your keyboard even further. ;)

Pelican 1450

Pelican Storm iM2200

Both can be had for around $100 if you shop around.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 July 2012, 12:39:41 by gimpster »
-Ryan

Offline dbfj

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 17:35:59 »
Have you considered just getting a Pelican (or similar) case that has the foam inside? You could cut that to fit, or you could get the Pick-n-Pluck style and just pluck out the shape you need. That'll definitely cover you for protection, and they're relatively lightweight, being as they're designed for traveling already. The 1450 or iM2200 would be the right size to give you good padding on all sides, and enough room that you could cut a second slot into the foam to hold cables.

EDIT: one other nice thing about these cases is that they have dual locking holes, so you can secure your keyboard even further. ;)

Pelican 1450
Show Image

Pelican Storm iM2200
Show Image

Both can be had for around $100 if you shop around.

Thanks for the idea.  I looked at Pelican, and I wasn't sure about the size.  I will definitely give it a second look.  I picked up some soft cases from amazon that I will post shortly.

Offline dbfj

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 17:41:54 »
I ordered a few pistol cases/rugs from amazon on the cheap for the soft case.  Two worked out pretty nicely, one didn't fit.

This is an ncstar pistol rug - the fit is a little tight (see the closed pic) but otherwise pretty good - foam padding and low profile.

Offline dbfj

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 17:43:20 »
Here's an Uncle Mike's pouch that fits on paper, but doesn't actually fit.

Offline dbfj

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 17:45:41 »
Here's an ncstar case - more room, a couple of pouches - only drawback is that the keyboard slides around a bit and there's no side padding.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 01:10:08 »
I ordered a few pistol cases/rugs from amazon on the cheap for the soft case.  Two worked out pretty nicely, one didn't fit.

This is an ncstar pistol rug - the fit is a little tight (see the closed pic) but otherwise pretty good - foam padding and low profile.

I'm looking for a lower profile carrying case for my hhkb to fit inside of my current laptop bag that is also pretty small. The one quoted seems pretty good, but my question is: If I go with a tighter carrying case, does having the keys constantly depressed have any long term bad effects on the keyboard?

Offline dbfj

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 08:41:05 »
I can't answer that, but I can say that the ncstar rug seems to fit almost perfectly, with out actuating the keys or pressing down much at all.  It might be possible to put some plastic on the ends to ensure it doesn't touch.  I've been using the larger ncstar with the handles for transport because it has some additional pockets for a wrist rest and a couple of cables, and I'm using a really small bag for my laptop.  The rug actually fits nicely in the larger ncstar case.

Added a few pictures to give you an idea of how it fits.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 11:20:54 »
Based on this, I just ordered a Vism or NCStar pistol rug for my KBT Pure. Thanks for the idea :D
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline dbfj

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:45:25 »
Based on this, I just ordered a Vism or NCStar pistol rug for my KBT Pure. Thanks for the idea :D
Cool!  Post what you think of it when you get it.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:55:56 »
I think you had a great idea here, but I am going to go with the HHKB case from EK.

Offline dbfj

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 19:26:05 »
There is definitely that  ;D  I'm going to continue to experiment with building cases for this thing, although I'm happy with the pistol rug and case.  I'm waiting for a few more pieces to arrive for my vacuform molder, then I might have some interesting prototypes to post.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 19:29:16 »
cool, keep us posted!