Author Topic: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)  (Read 262607 times)

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #950 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 01:01:47 »

Yeah, I wouldn’t hold out hope.

On another note, my lastest (and hopefully last) round of prototypes are in, will assemble a few and send them to my testers on my next day off of work (Monday).
Prototypes for CA66-compatible PCBs?

Yep, direct drop in replacement. May include a replacement daughter board as well, though that may take another round of prototypes to get right. I used the wrong type C connector in the current batch, and two of the screw holes are slightly off, so it sits a little crooked and isn't super stable. but having a replacement isn't super critical, the original can still be used just fine.
This sounds pretty great. If it's been asked before, I apologize, but will your PCBs have BT too?

No. QMK BT support isn't that great right now, so I decided not to support it right now. in the future, if the support and integration in qmk improves, I'll make a BT version.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the BT support improves sooner than later. Either way, I look forward to your replacements. :thumb:

Offline colluphid42

« Reply #951 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 10:56:06 »

On another note, my lastest (and hopefully last) round of prototypes are in, will assemble a few and send them to my testers on my next day off of work (Monday).

Yep, direct drop in replacement. May include a replacement daughter board as well, though that may take another round of prototypes to get right. I used the wrong type C connector in the current batch, and two of the screw holes are slightly off, so it sits a little crooked and isn't super stable. but having a replacement isn't super critical, the original can still be used just fine.

I hope you can get this all worked out soon. I've got two CA66s with failed PCBs sitting here collecting dust. Play-Keyboard isn't responding to me, so replacements are probably my only option.

Offline redjarojam

• Instagram
« Reply #952 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 14:42:29 »

Thank you. I am ready when they are.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #953 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 11:23:13 »
I have a Round 1 Ca66 Winkeyless kit.
I Have gone through 2 PCBs so far.
Booth with the same symptoms.  random keys stop working. then the whole thing stops working.
Does anyone know where I can get another PCB, or a replacement?
at this point, it's looking like I will have to hand wire this to get it back to life.
They promised replacement PCBs for participants in Round 1.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=iokk9a9rvh856od6ohiq8ehign7io8j4&topic=93542.msg2712253#msg2712253

I contacted them on Facebook Messenger and they sent me a Round 2 PCB for free.

http://m.me/playkeyboard

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just messaged them on FB Messenger about when the extra PCB's will be available for purchase and heard nothing back.

The last time they replied to me was back in March about PCB's being up in April.

This is very frustrating. I sold an extra PCB to someone else without testing it first, and it looks like theirs was DOA. Both the buyer and I are now getting the runaround from Barry at Play Keyboards. I certainly won't be joining another one of their GBs.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #954 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 12:48:33 »
I have a Round 1 Ca66 Winkeyless kit.
I Have gone through 2 PCBs so far.
Booth with the same symptoms.  random keys stop working. then the whole thing stops working.
Does anyone know where I can get another PCB, or a replacement?
at this point, it's looking like I will have to hand wire this to get it back to life.
They promised replacement PCBs for participants in Round 1.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=iokk9a9rvh856od6ohiq8ehign7io8j4&topic=93542.msg2712253#msg2712253

I contacted them on Facebook Messenger and they sent me a Round 2 PCB for free.

http://m.me/playkeyboard

Just messaged them on FB Messenger about when the extra PCB's will be available for purchase and heard nothing back.

The last time they replied to me was back in March about PCB's being up in April.

This is very frustrating. I sold an extra PCB to someone else without testing it first, and it looks like theirs was DOA. Both the buyer and I are now getting the runaround from Barry at Play Keyboards. I certainly won't be joining another one of their GBs.

That sucks.

Something similar happened to me with the Lubrigante GB. Now, I check all parts and PCBs before I sell. I should have done this before, but **** happens.

Offline online

« Reply #955 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 00:18:16 »
looking for bluetooth pcb, pm if anyone wants to sell it. I have a new wired pcb for trade as well.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #956 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 16:49:52 »
This is excellent. Hopefully you can do a group buy - even if it’s a super restrictive one.

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #957 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 02:19:57 »
I ended up finding some weird machining errors on my plate, so some of my switches don't sit properly. I could probably try to file it down, but that's a lot of desoldering and definitely not something I'm very familiar with. Ideally, I'd like to get a new plate for these PCBs if I can pick one up.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new plate?
Or would it be a better idea to get a new plate cut from the plate file?

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #958 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 23:30:50 »
Is someone successfully running QMK? For me everything except Enter is working, it's super weird, I've tried everything, with help from the devs and we can't figure it out. As soon as I flash a hex from the original site/firmware it works. I even tried compiling from different computers but with the same result.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #959 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 10:01:32 »
I would like to buy one, if anyone would sell.
Ideally WKL version.

EDIT: I just read all those posts about issues you guys had.. wow... that doesn't sound good.

I wish someone made very similar keyboard, but with proper pcbs etc...
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2020, 10:47:43 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #960 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 11:39:17 »
I've got one from the first round and the PCB seems to have randomly completely died, and now looking back it sounds like this is not that uncommon? Is there anywhere to get a PCB right now or upcoming?
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline d00deitsnik

« Reply #961 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 22:28:24 »
I've got one from the first round and the PCB seems to have randomly completely died, and now looking back it sounds like this is not that uncommon? Is there anywhere to get a PCB right now or upcoming?

Your best bet would be to wait on the PCBs that jrfhoutx is prototyping right now. Either that or message play-keyboard and hope to hear news from them.

Offline child

« Reply #962 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 09:31:04 »
I messaged play-keyboard on Messenger and they said it's too long since my buy (which was over a year ago, first international round) to get a free replacement. As I didn't feel like arguing I just said I want to buy the PCB, which I did together with the brass plate. The PCB works fine for like 2 weeks now. The only issue I have is with the plate - original brass plate I got during the GB was quite tight (very hard to get Kailh Box Blacks in, and especially out), the new one is quite loose (so in turn Gateron Inks - and several other Gateron switch types I own - did not keep in place). So in the end, I had to desolder old plate (which I wanted to avoid, which was the reason I bought a new plate in the first place) and now Kailh Box Blacks fit nicely in the new plate and Gateron Inks fit just as nicely in the old one.

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #963 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 20:51:22 »
Long shot but does anyone know where to acquire a daughter board for the CA66? Is it something that can be bought off Amazon/ebay?

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #964 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 20:55:07 »
Long shot but does anyone know where to acquire a daughter board for the CA66? Is it something that can be bought off Amazon/ebay?
Probably best to ask PKB. They have a chat feature on their website. Do you have the ribbon cable?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #965 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 21:04:33 »
Probably best to ask PKB. They have a chat feature on their website. Do you have the ribbon cable?

I bought a r2 PCB off of someone who has an extra PCB but he's also selling the other bundle as a whole so I'm left without a daughter board :P

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #966 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 22:31:30 »

I bought a r2 PCB off of someone who has an extra PCB but he's also selling the other bundle as a whole so I'm left without a daughter board
So do you have a case?
You might be able to find a USB C socket with the correct type of ribbon cable pre-installed to go directly into the main PCB if you can't get the daughter board..?
That would require some hacking in order to mount it to the case though..

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #967 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 10:29:41 »
I messaged play-keyboard on Messenger and they said it's too long since my buy (which was over a year ago, first international round) to get a free replacement.

TBH I think that's BS. It was specifically said they would send free replacement PCBs to R1 buyers (1 free if you bought 2 pcbs, half price if you only bought one in R1) to replace the failing PCBs from R1. They said for R1 buyers to wait and they would inform R1 buyers when to send their info and start sending out replacements after R2 shipped. I never heard anything about replacements after that statement. I even asked them and was told the same thing, to wait, they would let people know. I asked about extras (PCBs and plates), was told they'd be available after R2, never heard anything or saw any listed...

Honestly, much as I love my CA66, the communication has been consistently abysmal...

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #968 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 07:29:19 »
I messaged play-keyboard on Messenger and they said it's too long since my buy (which was over a year ago, first international round) to get a free replacement.

TBH I think that's BS. It was specifically said they would send free replacement PCBs to R1 buyers (1 free if you bought 2 pcbs, half price if you only bought one in R1) to replace the failing PCBs from R1. They said for R1 buyers to wait and they would inform R1 buyers when to send their info and start sending out replacements after R2 shipped. I never heard anything about replacements after that statement. I even asked them and was told the same thing, to wait, they would let people know. I asked about extras (PCBs and plates), was told they'd be available after R2, never heard anything or saw any listed...

Honestly, much as I love my CA66, the communication has been consistently abysmal...

Sadly I'd have to agree, the communication has been very poor. I feel fortunate to have even gotten my R2 CA66, nearly a year and a half after ordering it. I still have around $150 in add-on plates/pcbs/switches that have yet to be fulfilled.

Offline PocketAces

« Reply #969 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 09:27:16 »
Hey, I know it seems this GB didn’t end on the best note, but I’m wondering about a couple things since I missed it.

Did this have a WinKey version at all? All I’m finding on mechmarket are HHKB and WKL.

Are there any plans for an R3? Or another version of the board with a different layout? I’ve been really into the 75% form factor lately, and I think it would look great with this design.

I’m hugely into the aesthetics of this board, and I’d really love to add one to my collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #970 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 12:10:44 »
Hey, I know it seems this GB didn’t end on the best note, but I’m wondering about a couple things since I missed it.

Did this have a WinKey version at all? All I’m finding on mechmarket are HHKB and WKL.

Are there any plans for an R3? Or another version of the board with a different layout? I’ve been really into the 75% form factor lately, and I think it would look great with this design.

I’m hugely into the aesthetics of this board, and I’d really love to add one to my collection!

There were only the two options of either HHKB or WKL. Officially there were four rounds, the two posted here were for the international buys. Considering how messy this last round was I wouldn't consider there to be a high likelihood for a fifth round. If you really like it then I would recommend buying one on r/mm since they aren't uncommon and they usually aren't flipped for crazy amounts of money.

I think there have been a few boards that took some level of inspiration from the CA66's layout, the most notable in my memory is the Satisfaction 75. But as far as the case aesthetics go I think the CA66 is pretty unique.

Offline PocketAces

« Reply #971 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 14:02:20 »

There were only the two options of either HHKB or WKL. Officially there were four rounds, the two posted here were for the international buys. Considering how messy this last round was I wouldn't consider there to be a high likelihood for a fifth round. If you really like it then I would recommend buying one on r/mm since they aren't uncommon and they usually aren't flipped for crazy amounts of money.

I think there have been a few boards that took some level of inspiration from the CA66's layout, the most notable in my memory is the Satisfaction 75. But as far as the case aesthetics go I think the CA66 is pretty unique.
You’re right. They’re pretty easy to find on r/mm, I guess now it’s up to me to decide whether the aesthetics are worth giving up my windows key .

I appreciate the reply.

Offline child

« Reply #972 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 14:10:40 »
Did you take a look at the pictures in the first post? The "WKL-like" version does have left windows key.

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #973 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 12:26:31 »

You’re right. They’re pretty easy to find on r/mm, I guess now it’s up to me to decide whether the aesthetics are worth giving up my windows key .

I appreciate the reply.

There shouldn't be any reason why you'd be giving up the Win key with either config, unless you have a very atypical preferred layout.

WKL allows for the standard Ctrl-Win-Alt layout. HHKB allows for Win-Alt layout since most people would use Ctrl in place of Caps Lock with an HHKB layout. And with either you can use split space to get three keys to the left of the spacebars.

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #974 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 10:17:25 »
For people who are looking for a replacement pcb I've found this one https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=608350988376&spm=a2141.7631565.1.1_1

Offline Lormania

« Reply #975 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 11:15:16 »
For people who are looking for a replacement pcb I've found this one https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=608350988376&spm=a2141.7631565.1.1_1

Interesting, has anyone actually ordered and is currently using one of these? Would love another PCB that is reliable.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #976 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 11:31:23 »
If anyone has a green CA66 with badge, I have a dark red R1 CA66 with badge in great condition that I would like trade for it. I'm prepared to add some cash on top as well.

Offline Tobu

« Reply #977 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 14:21:38 »

I hope you can get this all worked out soon. I've got two CA66s with failed PCBs sitting here collecting dust. Play-Keyboard isn't responding to me, so replacements are probably my only option.

In the same boat. PCB started freaking out and ghost inputting random keys. Thought it was a programming or flashing error on my part but seeing this thread I see I'm not the only one. Mine is not the bluetooth version

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #978 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 05:52:00 »
yessaaaa, me too. I have same problems (but BT version).

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #979 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 11:51:34 »

In the same boat. PCB started freaking out and ghost inputting random keys. Thought it was a programming or flashing error on my part but seeing this thread I see I'm not the only one. Mine is not the bluetooth version

Yeah, it's still in progress. I had a few issues with the last prototypes, and was holding off until after CNY to order a new round of prototypes. unfortunately we all know how that was delayed by the current pandemic situation. but I also managed to fracture a vertebrae and that has most things on hold for me right now until it's healed.

I can't sit or stand for long periods of time, so no long soldering sessions and no long sessions at the computer revising designs. so most of my projects are temporarily on hold or moving forward very slowly. they are all still moving forward, just not as quickly as I'd like.

believe me, I want things to move much faster than they are. I would have liked to have been done with this already, and be getting boards out to you all. but it is what it is I guess.

Offline j0hn3h

« Reply #980 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 14:11:55 »

Yeah, it's still in progress. I had a few issues with the last prototypes, and was holding off until after CNY to order a new round of prototypes. unfortunately we all know how that was delayed by the current pandemic situation. but I also managed to fracture a vertebrae and that has most things on hold for me right now until it's healed.

I can't sit or stand for long periods of time, so no long soldering sessions and no long sessions at the computer revising designs. so most of my projects are temporarily on hold or moving forward very slowly. they are all still moving forward, just not as quickly as I'd like.

believe me, I want things to move much faster than they are. I would have liked to have been done with this already, and be getting boards out to you all. but it is what it is I guess.

No worries! Hope you get better soon! I'll definitely be buying once they go on sale.

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #981 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 03:51:01 »
239652-0
Anyone have tarnishing issues with their brass badge? Also anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this?

Offline nulltorious

« Reply #982 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 05:11:23 »
(Attachment Link)
Anyone have tarnishing issues with their brass badge? Also anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this?

brasso metal polish should work. I used this before on a brass plate with good results.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #983 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 08:28:29 »
(Attachment Link)

That looks awesome if you ask me! Adds character.

Anyway, WD40 and Windex (yes, Windex) worked for me for similar issues with brass (mirror polished, though).

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #984 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 08:02:29 »
just downloaded the ydkb reflash tool from ydkb.io and Windows Defender is saying it has occamy troian on it? is that an error?

i don't remember ever seeing this pop up before although it's been a while since i downloaded it

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #985 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 09:04:54 »
Just ran it through virustotal. seems everyone should avoid the reflash tool for now until PlayKeyboard updates it

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #986 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 07:15:40 »
Hey there, I've made a replacement PCB for this kb with a stm32f072 chip and esd protection. my prototype works great. is there interest for me to do a batch of these? cost will be around 30 euros per board excl shipping.

Offline Wojciech

« Reply #987 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 07:31:30 »
It will be Alps compatibile or just MX? Is this bluetooth version?

Offline lukelex

« Reply #988 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 07:38:58 »
Hey there, I've made a replacement PCB for this kb with a stm32f072 chip and esd protection. my prototype works great. is there interest for me to do a batch of these? cost will be around 30 euros per board excl shipping.
I'd get 2 if you do.

Offline KeebCalmAndCarryOn

« Reply #989 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 08:48:07 »
Also definitely interested.  Will the frame colors be the same as the previous round?  Thank you.

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #990 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 09:08:30 »
just MX and no bluetooth. qmk with stm32 does not work with bluetooth yet.

- STM32
- QMK compatible
- ESD protection
- Case grounded
- 6 RGB leds
- Molex pico connector between the two boards
- No iso layout or split spacebar
- No leds for the keys (backlight)

I'll make a google form later today. unsure yet how to handle shipping in what is cheapest / best.
Shipping will be from the Netherlands
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 09:19:14 by MisterKnife »

Offline cijanzen

[GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #991 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 09:08:38 »
Also definitely interested.  Will the frame colors be the same as the previous round?  Thank you.

Uhh this is just a PCB we’re talking about. Not another run for a whole CA66 PCB, plates, and cases.

Would be interested but would like to have more details!

Edit: okay details were provided just as I submitted this. What layouts would it support?

Offline nulltorious

« Reply #992 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 10:51:22 »
I'll be interested in 1 PCB, please let me know if your doing a GB!

Offline fer.real

« Reply #993 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 12:10:19 »
- No split spacebar

I was really interested until I saw this.  Any chance of adding split spacebar support?  If so, I'd buy two.

Edit: Autocorrect.

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #994 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 13:00:42 »
- No split spacebar

I was really interested until I saw this.  Any chance of adding split spacebar support?  If so, I'd buy two.

Edit: Autocorrect.

Allright I add them ;-)

Offline Briezion

« Reply #995 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 15:36:39 »
Very, *VERY* interested. Also interested in split space support. Would also buy two or more!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #996 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 18:01:43 »

- STM32
- QMK compatible
- ESD protection
- Case grounded
- 6 RGB leds

I'll make a google form later today. unsure yet how to handle shipping in what is cheapest / best.

I'm interested.  It would probably be a good idea to post a picture showing supported layouts.  This PCB probably needs an IC thread of its own.

Offline j0hn3h

« Reply #997 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 20:58:59 »

- STM32
- QMK compatible
- ESD protection
- Case grounded
- 6 RGB leds

You don't know how long I've been waiting for this. I am definitely in! Thank you so much for your efforts!

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #998 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 00:18:13 »

- STM32
- QMK compatible
- ESD protection
- Case grounded
- 6 RGB leds

I'm interested.  It would probably be a good idea to post a picture showing supported layouts.  This PCB probably needs an IC thread of its own.

Yes will do it through the correct channels and own thread. More on that later.

Offline Wojciech

« Reply #999 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 03:05:19 »
just MX and no bluetooth. qmk with stm32 does not work with bluetooth yet

It’s big problem to add Alps support?
Greetings