Author Topic: [IC] GMK Penumbra Accent Kit (Awaiting Pricing Tiers)  (Read 79388 times)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: [IC] GMK Penumbra Accent Kit
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:57:01 »
Here's a mock up by Zambumon, http://imgur.com/SKtLbF6

The alphas will have a darker grey similar to the one on Penumbra right now. This highly resembles the Honeywell. Numberpad alpha will also be included.

So does this mean no colored, lowercase mods?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:58:39 »

The alphas will have a darker grey similar to the one on Penumbra right now. This highly resembles the Honeywell. Numberpad alpha will also be included.

Yeah, there'll be no colored lowercase mods as mentioned before. Many people weren't really fond of the new capitalized and colored bottom row, so I'll mostly stick to the classics in this run.

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:59:44 »

Just got my set today, Sherryton- love it. Really looks good in person! Thanks for running the set ahead of the sale- as others have mentioned, it was fun to order last week, get it today.  :thumb:

In for the Accent Kit, of course... but just wondering, looks like we're losing some of the colorfulness on the bottom row modifier text. Is that unavoidable to keep cost reasonable? I think the colors are one of the charms to the set- give it a little funkyness that I like so I would be bummed to have to choose between colorful but all caps vs. better text uniformity but single color for all keys.

EDIT: too slow on the posting... asked and answered. However, it was just the capitalization that most seemed not to like, right? The colors are great IMO! I think that may make me less likely to buy the accent set and just live with the capitalized keys/ up my OCD medication (beer).
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:01:42 by smittysteve »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:01:00 »

Yeah, there'll be no colored lowercase mods as mentioned before. Many people weren't really fond of the new capitalized and colored bottom row, so I'll mostly stick to the classics in this run.

That's a shame, was looking forward to those the most, and honestly it's probably a deal breaker for me keeping this set.

FWIW, I think the issue is people weren't fond of the capitalized bottom row, not the colors. Without the colors, it's not even Penumbra imo.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:02:00 »

That's a shame, was looking forward to those the most, and honestly it's probably a deal breaker for me keeping this set.

FWIW, I think the issue is people weren't fond of the capitalized bottom row, not the colors. Without the colors, it's not even Penumbra imo.

I got a lot of messages saying otherwise. The original set didn't have colored bottom row so this definitely isn't original.

It was something new I was trying with the upcoming SA and this GMK set.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:03:08 »

Dang you and your faster typing... but DITTO to everything... I'm a bit bummed about the render and would probably pass as-is. I love the colors, just don't like the upper case on current set.

Dang you and your faster typing... but DITTO to everything. I love the colors, just don't like the capitalization. This is probably a pass on the Accent Kit without colorful bottom row...
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:05:37 by smittysteve »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:04:15 »

I really liked the colored mods - Just didn't like the fact that they were capitalized as they were jarring with the other ones being CamelCased.  I'd really like that fixed, i.e. CamelCased colored mods for the bottom row to go with the colored mods on the other row.  That said, I'm in either way- just have to go back to all white, I guess, which is a shame.

Maybe a real poll of the people who actually put their money where their mouth is and bought it?  Or just a reconsideration in a poll in this IC?
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:06:39 by chuckdee »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:04:29 »
Wow, that's so weird. I thought people were on board with the new colors. I didn't read the infamous Reddit thread; did people say it there?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:08:12 »
It seems like a majority of us (includes me of course) really like the new colored mods. Maybe we can take a vote? Or do you guys prefer both?

The new colored mods will definitely add a hefty additional.

We're looking at around $60-65 with both versions or around $30-35 for just the colored version.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:09:06 »
Take a vote. I'd rather the colored than white, but you said people like white more.
Also, make a thread on Reddit so they're aware. Not sure if they prefer white more.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:11:01 »
Wow, that's so weird. I thought people were on board with the new colors. I didn't read the infamous Reddit thread; did people say it there?

It must have been in PM's since I didn't see it in the reddit thread.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:11:10 »
Take a vote, please Sherry.

+1 for colored mods!!  :thumb:

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:20:51 »
Wow, I'm really super glad that I took a chance with the colored mods with you guys...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:23:55 »
Wow, I'm really super glad that I took a chance with the colored mods with you guys...

Uh, yeah. The colored mods really make this set stellar.
I thought this whole time it was just the capitalized letters people had issue with.

Also, super glad you're going with the gray of the yellowed alphas. I love that color and glad it's going on the Solarized alphas.

(Only real grip I have is I personally think the mods are too dark to make out the blue, but that's just me.  :p )

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:26:59 »

I thought this whole time it was just the capitalized letters people had issue with.

Also, super glad you're going with the gray of the yellowed alphas. I love that color and glad it's going on the Solarized alphas.

(Only real grip I have is I personally think the mods are too dark to make out the blue, but that's just me.  :p )

Totally agree! Colored mods make this set interesting... loses a lot of zip with white, IMO, though like everything, I'm sure plenty will prefer that way. I thought it was just the caps too- that's my only issue, though I would live with caps over giving up the colors.

ps- love Romevi's subliminal small text messages...

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:27:45 »
I'd love the colored mods!  :thumb:

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:27:51 »

That's actually the color of Honeywell. Check out this thread. I was using this color for Penumbra, and I realized that Honeywell actually most resembles this color. I'm really glad we chosed it :)

I feel like we should go with a different white for solarized because it would just be a copy of Honeywell alphas. CP is the closest color to the solarized alpha though.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86286.msg2337033#msg2337033

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:29:08 »
Since it looks like we may go with colored mods (I'll still throw a poll), should we add red arrows? :D

Offline Atredl

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:29:39 »
My vote is for colored bottom row a since it brings in more colors from the solarized palette.

Just want to mention this again, is anyone else interested in a fixed 1.75u shift with icon and text? Current only includes icon. It's something that I really would like to see included as it will forever bother me if it's only icon.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:31:35 by Atredl »

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:32:01 »
Since it looks like we may go with colored mods (I'll still throw a poll), should we add red arrows? :D

YES PLEASE!! That would look sweet.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:33:18 »

Yes to colored mods, and yes to red arrows, that sounds sexy af!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:33:18 »
+1 for colored mods.  Also one of my keys on my set has a little problem.  I put in a ticket at originative over the weekend.  Love the set tho. https://imgur.com/a/37w5Y  look at the | \  key

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:35:16 »

Sure! The more, the merrier!

What about 3K for alphas?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:35:25 »
+1 for colored mods.  Also one of my keys on my set has a little problem.  I put in a ticket at originative over the weekend.  Love the set tho. https://imgur.com/a/37w5Y  look at the | \  key

Thanks for pointing that out, Tally... same broken pipe on my set. I'll submit a support ticket too- or just want an email, Sherryton?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:38:09 »
Feel free to send an email to contact@originativeco.com with the bottom of the keycap!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:38:09 »

Thanks for pointing that out, Tally... same broken pipe on my set. I'll submit a support ticket too- or just want an email, Sherryton?

I'm pretty sure that's just how GMK makes their pipe symbol. That's how it is on all my GMK sets. Plus EPBT, also makes their cherry keys with that same broken pipe legend.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:39:07 »

I'm pretty sure that's just how GMK makes their pipe symbol. That's how it is on all my GMK sets. Plus EPBT, also makes their cherry keys with that same broken pipe legend.
Really?  I'll have to look at my other sets.  If this is the case I'll be surprised I haven't seen it yet lol

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:40:15 »

I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the cap.
Mine is like that too, but I'm fine with it.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:42:51 »
It's possible other sets have it unbroken but all my sets look like the picture you posted. I have R1 Hyperfuse and TA.

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:43:02 »
I like the lowercase ctrl, alt, super. I'd also prefer the caps lock to have either both the symbol and words or just "caps lock." The one single icon sticks out to me. Either all icons or all text makes the most sense to me. Consistency for the legends is key.
Dolphin v1 LE | TGR Jane | LZ Ergo

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:45:26 »

Really?  I'll have to look at my other sets.  If this is the case I'll be surprised I haven't seen it yet lol

Yeah, same.  :-[ It's interesting... looks like some yes/ some no. In Hydro the pipe on grey key is solid, the white pipe is broken. Meh, I think I'm probably ok with it too. If it hasn't bothered me yet...

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:45:32 »
I'm actually a fan of the white colored mods for the bottom row. I think in terms of capitalization the stock bottom row bugged me at first, but the more the think about it I guess I can just imagine the extra colors being purposely different to add a different "spin" to the entire composition (like how certain coding styles utilize all caps with certain words, etc.)

In the end of the day it's always convenient to have all the choices to make everyone happy but then again this will add a significant amount to the set.

If we are voting to have either only colored versus white text bottom row, I'd go with white. If enough people can pay up, both are okay as well.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:45:46 »
It's possible other sets have it unbroken but all my sets look like the picture you posted. I have R1 Hyperfuse and TA.

I wonder if it's a difference between the full-sized and the 1U.  The 1U on mine have it solid, but I remember seeing it broken on the standard sized - have to check when I get home.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:47:05 »

I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the cap.
Mine is like that too, but I'm fine with it.
Lol yea it's not major and if its normal I'm good

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:55:18 »
Throwing my 2c here. Sticking to the OG set is the best route in my opinion, but adding compatibility always wins. The 1st mockup is what the complete set should be, and the 2nd mockup is what is missing.

Colored mods or not, it's true to what it should be imo. I get my set in a couple of days, and I'll make my decision on the mods then.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:03:41 »
Throwing my 2c here. Sticking to the OG set is the best route in my opinion, but adding compatibility always wins. The 1st mockup is what the complete set should be, and the 2nd mockup is what is missing.

Show Image

Show Image

Colored mods or not, it's true to what it should be imo. I get my set in a couple of days, and I'll make my decision on the mods then.

I'm curious, why is a second row1 tilde key needed? Isn't there one already included in the original set?

Offline sethbc

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:04:30 »
No colored mods is probably a deal-breaker for me on this one, the only thing I'd have changed was the all-caps.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:06:14 »

Show Image

Show Image

I'm curious, why is a second row1 tilde key needed? Isn't there one already included in the original set?

Because I made a mistake :))

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:52:28 »
COLORED MODS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 16:42:01 »
Form: https://goo.gl/forms/mbOa1HKw5EIVIX0K3

I'll add it to the OP!

I won't reveal the responses until the end so I'll know what people really want right now. I'll record it and people might want to tweak their answers after the responses are revealed.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 16:50:33 by sherryton »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 17:01:41 »

I wonder if it's a difference between the full-sized and the 1U.  The 1U on mine have it solid, but I remember seeing it broken on the standard sized - have to check when I get home.

Well that's interesting.  On Hyperfuse, my 1U mod has the split too, but the Carbon that I was using for reference at work doesn't.

Offline Tally810

Re: [IC] GMK Penumbra Accent Kit (Poll is Live!)
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 17:20:32 »

Well that's interesting.  On Hyperfuse, my 1U mod has the split too, but the Carbon that I was using for reference at work doesn't.
Yep originative answered my ticket and this was intended.  Looking at a couple other sets this is also the case so all is good with me.

Offline chaseyeh0721

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 17:56:51 »
submitted the Accent Kit responses

Offline megaforce

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:28:31 »
Might be overkill and more $$$ for sure, but I'd put in the form to complete the icon mods like below to accompany the icon caps:

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:29:58 »
Might be overkill and more $$$ for sure, but I'd put in the form to complete the icon mods like below to accompany the icon caps:

Show Image

I'm 100% for icon-only mods, but for this set it'd be overkill and unnecessary.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:32:12 »

Show Image

You're right, the lowred control, alt, OS, and arrows should suffice my needs.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 19:35:00 »

Show Image

You're right, the lowred control, alt, OS, and arrows should suffice my needs.

For this set, you're trying to squeeze more text on the keycaps for the vibrance.

Offline DanB

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 22:27:29 »
Sent you a PM, BTW
Kingsaver, Koala

Offline Jumie

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 05:54:41 »
Colored mods ftw.. btw I did send email to have my set shipped on 3/17 but it's still not moving.

Offline ullr

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 06:54:11 »
Just going to voice my dissent and say that I much prefer gray mods... The colored mods aren't a good facsimile of Solarized colors, and they look jarring. I'd prefer to stick to the original.