Author Topic: [IC] UMBRA : 60% by IV Works  (Read 31267 times)

Offline POMChamp

Re: [IC] UMBRA : 60% by IV Works
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 29 May 2024, 10:25:28 »
any sound test yet or are you waiting for the 2nd proto to arrive?

Offline POCO Estudio

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 30 May 2024, 11:41:17 »
pcb is amazing lol

Offline Kry

• That one guy that makes beeps and boops.
    • Kry.exe (Spotify)
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 01 June 2024, 12:45:03 »
Super looking forward to this board. It looks gorgeous.
WK option available?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 June 2024, 12:44:15 »
It might look nice with a Domikey set on it, since the space bar is similar in shape to the front bezel  :cool:

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 June 2024, 15:25:32 »
It might look nice with a Domikey set on it, since the space bar is similar in shape to the front bezel  :cool:

That might actually work out! Although I do have to admit I am not a fan of the Domikey spacebar shape.

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 15 June 2024, 08:32:12 »
Proto v2 has arrived and we are close close! Please see images in the first post. If you have any questions please let me know.

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 15 June 2024, 08:37:21 »
Super looking forward to this board. It looks gorgeous.
WK option available?

Thank you for the kind words. Final layout vote is now live on Discord.

any sound test yet or are you waiting for the 2nd proto to arrive?

You are correct. Sound test is up next now that Proto v2 is in.

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 22 June 2024, 09:33:12 »
Proto v2 SOUND TEST now available!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 23 June 2024, 12:21:46 »
This will have ISO right ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 June 2024, 13:12:03 »
This will have ISO right ?

Sorry it does not. Layout options can be seen in my original post. I focused the plate around offering the best sound with the most popular options.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 24 June 2024, 16:05:56 »
I focused the plate around offering the best sound with the most popular options.

UMBRA looks really beautiful and as far as it is possible to appreciate from a sound test its sound also seems really excellent. Great job, honestly.

However, I find it frankly unsympathetic when someone thinks they can limit the choice of others regarding the "best sound". I'm well aware that ANSI is undeniably more popular than ISO but I'm more of the idea of ​​letting everyone decide what they prefer - even when their choices seem worse - or more unpopular - than ours.

I imagine that many ISO lovers - like me - will be disappointed (yet again) to find themselves excluded.

Anyway, GLWIC.
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline TACWORKS

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 24 June 2024, 21:26:53 »
It looks very high-quality! :p

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 25 June 2024, 16:36:00 »
I focused the plate around offering the best sound with the most popular options.

UMBRA looks really beautiful and as far as it is possible to appreciate from a sound test its sound also seems really excellent. Great job, honestly.

However, I find it frankly unsympathetic when someone thinks they can limit the choice of others regarding the "best sound". I'm well aware that ANSI is undeniably more popular than ISO but I'm more of the idea of ​​letting everyone decide what they prefer - even when their choices seem worse - or more unpopular - than ours.

I imagine that many ISO lovers - like me - will be disappointed (yet again) to find themselves excluded.

Anyway, GLWIC.

Thank you for the feedback! I went back and forth on this, pretty much came down to testing different plates. When you try to maximize the number of layouts, the plate turns to swiss cheese and it kills the sound. Its much better to have to dedicated plates but that adds complexity and cost. I focused the plate design based on the public vote on Discord, then tried to make it sounds as cohesive as possible. But I hope to make a solution for ISO users as I do not want to alienate anyone.

Offline Cringelord

• Crack Connoisseur
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 25 June 2024, 23:28:02 »
I really love the design. Actually differentiates itself from all the 60s this year but... why does it weigh less than a 60% Keychron even with a steel weight? Seems it will sound hollow, granted the soundtest posted is very nice, I don't recall many 60% sounding good that weigh so little.

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 June 2024, 08:26:02 »
I really love the design. Actually differentiates itself from all the 60s this year but... why does it weigh less than a 60% Keychron even with a steel weight? Seems it will sound hollow, granted the soundtest posted is very nice, I don't recall many 60% sounding good that weigh so little.

Not sure where you are seeing the weights. UMBRA is 3.15lbs. Keycron 60 is 1.18lbs.

Offline Keeaboo

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 26 June 2024, 08:27:05 »

I think you are comparing unbuilt to built. The 1429g weight is unbuilt and that is heavier than two 60s I looked up quickly, the salvation and the frog mini.

Offline POMChamp

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 June 2024, 08:32:44 »

Not sure where you are seeing the weights. UMBRA is 3.15lbs. Keycron 60 is 1.18lbs.

They're probably referring to the Q4 which is Keychron's alu 60% and that's right around 1500g fully built. Keychron boards have thick bezels which is a big difference. Overall the weight argument doesn't mean much to me given that good design will produce good results vs just making something heavy for the sake of perceived quality.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 26 June 2024, 14:40:10 »

Thank you for the feedback! I went back and forth on this, pretty much came down to testing different plates. When you try to maximize the number of layouts, the plate turns to swiss cheese and it kills the sound. Its much better to have to dedicated plates but that adds complexity and cost. I focused the plate design based on the public vote on Discord, then tried to make it sounds as cohesive as possible. But I hope to make a solution for ISO users as I do not want to alienate anyone.

Thank you for taking my opinion into consideration, I really appreciate it.

In the past, some GBs have offered plates in two "fixed" versions, one ANSI and one ISO. In this way for both worlds the sound is "safe" but not only that: for example, I don't like universal plates at all because the fit of the switch in the ENTER position is quite weak. But it's often the only way you can have an ISO layout.
I truly hope you can find a way to give at least a little hope to ISO lovers.
It could be considered, for example, to have a compatible bottom and offer a kit without plate, then releasing the ISO plate file for anyone who wants to make it with the material of their preference.

Again, GLWIC.
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline carlanthony

• DIVINIKEY INC.
    • Divinikey Inc
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 26 June 2024, 17:50:09 »
That front lip is definitely interesting, Joe! Not sure how I feel about it personally but love the detail you've put into this project. GLW-Project!

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 September 2024, 12:03:55 »
As we wait for the third prototype to be anodized, I have a big update on all the secondary parts. Pretty much positive movement on everything and big win on the getting the custom hard case sample finished! Please see images and full update on my first post.