geekhack Community > Keyboards

Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)

<< < (3392/3392)

_rubik:

--- Quote from: erretter on Thu, 02 May 2024, 17:05:09 ---
--- Quote from: _rubik on Thu, 02 May 2024, 12:24:28 ---
--- Quote from: erretter on Thu, 02 May 2024, 10:26:51 ---I F'd up the top housing of a soldered in switch (complicated to explain; please just take that info, as it is). The switch is still functioning, but wonky.

Q: Can I swap out the top housing of a switch from the top-side without desoldering it?

--- End quote ---

Some plates have notches cut out on either side of the switch to allow the top housing clips bend outward. I haven't seen those in quite a few years though. If the plate is contacting the switch on all four sides, you're going to have to desolder. That said, it's a pretty simple operation and a great excuse to learn to solder. You got this!  :thumb:

--- End quote ---

Thank you! Didn't know about the plate specifics. But I have to say, I soldered the switches in by myself, with led free solder and desoldering this is a 50/50 chance damaging the PCB because it's almost impossible to get all the solder out.

--- End quote ---

It's amazing how much of a difference quality solder makes. I usually go with a 63/37 flux core solder which has the advantage of being eutectic -- a single, lower melting point that avoid that "gooey, semi-fluid" solder state you find on some cheaper solders.

For desoldering, I'd recommend getting a good solder pump with a soft tip (hard plastic tips on solder pumps never seal well around the component, IMO). I went through so many cheap suckers before finding the "Engineer Solder Sucker" on Amazon. I always add an extra dab of leaded solder before sucking just to make sure everything's good and melted. It's also more mass for the sucker to grab onto, in my experience.

erretter:

--- Quote from: _rubik on Mon, 06 May 2024, 12:39:38 ---
--- Quote from: erretter on Thu, 02 May 2024, 17:05:09 ---
--- Quote from: _rubik on Thu, 02 May 2024, 12:24:28 ---
--- Quote from: erretter on Thu, 02 May 2024, 10:26:51 ---I F'd up the top housing of a soldered in switch (complicated to explain; please just take that info, as it is). The switch is still functioning, but wonky.

Q: Can I swap out the top housing of a switch from the top-side without desoldering it?

--- End quote ---

Some plates have notches cut out on either side of the switch to allow the top housing clips bend outward. I haven't seen those in quite a few years though. If the plate is contacting the switch on all four sides, you're going to have to desolder. That said, it's a pretty simple operation and a great excuse to learn to solder. You got this!  :thumb:

--- End quote ---

Thank you! Didn't know about the plate specifics. But I have to say, I soldered the switches in by myself, with led free solder and desoldering this is a 50/50 chance damaging the PCB because it's almost impossible to get all the solder out.

--- End quote ---

It's amazing how much of a difference quality solder makes. I usually go with a 63/37 flux core solder which has the advantage of being eutectic -- a single, lower melting point that avoid that "gooey, semi-fluid" solder state you find on some cheaper solders.

For desoldering, I'd recommend getting a good solder pump with a soft tip (hard plastic tips on solder pumps never seal well around the component, IMO). I went through so many cheap suckers before finding the "Engineer Solder Sucker" on Amazon. I always add an extra dab of leaded solder before sucking just to make sure everything's good and melted. It's also more mass for the sucker to grab onto, in my experience.

--- End quote ---

TY! I found that pump. Might give it a try or.... I use this wobbly switch to build the next board :-X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version