geekhack Community > Keyboards

Information about cherry model numbers

(1/2) > >>

IBI:
Linky

It doesn't include information about which type of mechanical switch the mechanical ones have (cherry say they offer 3 different versions) but an interesting read anyway.

p.s. Sorry if this has been posted before, the search didn't give me any sensible results.

Ulysses31:
Interesting.  I take it from the description that the FTSC-type switch is similar to the old buckling-spring switches used in early keyboards?  I read somewhere that the IBM Model-M used a mechanism to strike a membrane and provide a tactile sensation, and that to call them truly mechanical keyboards was a common misconception.  It might have been Wikipedia :|.

EDIT: OK I could be wrong, but I swear I saw that description of Model-Ms somewhere on the net; I wish i'd bookmarked it now >_

Whiskey in the Jar-o:

--- Quote from: Ulysses31;3479 ---Interesting.  I take it from the description that the FTSC-type switch is similar to the old buckling-spring switches used in early keyboards?  I read somewhere that the IBM Model-M used a mechanism to strike a membrane and provide a tactile sensation, and that to call them truly mechanical keyboards was a common misconception.  It might have been Wikipedia :|.

EDIT: OK I could be wrong, but I swear I saw that description of Model-Ms somewhere on the net; I wish i'd bookmarked it now >_

Ulysses31:
Oh well.  Misinformation from Google >_

IBI:

--- Quote from: Ulysses31;3479 ---Interesting.  I take it from the description that the FTSC-type switch is similar to the old buckling-spring switches used in early keyboards?
--- End quote ---

I think it's more like the keyboard pictured in my avatar. Here's a Picture from google image search.

Basically the keycaps are just the tops and the stems, that normal keycaps have to reach the domes, stay in the board. Apart from that I don't think it's any different from a normal rubber dome keyboard though. Although this is just a guess so if someone knows better go ahead and correct me.

Whether the model M is mechanical depends on how you're classifying.  As it shares many characteristics ('clickiness', feel, longevity, spring use) with the alpls/cherries/strongman switches you could call it mechanical, it's easiest just to call it buckling spring and leave it at that though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version