Author Topic: [IC] Duck Orion V2 Weight Insert - Decisions Made  (Read 13885 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
[IC] Duck Orion V2 Weight Insert - Decisions Made
« on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 15:41:07 »
Hello, I am the GB runner for the Octagon V2 Weight Insert. As that GB draws to a close, looking to running a similar but different GB. I have one IC out for the Duck Black Bird as well, but this is the original GB I was going to run after the Octagon. I figured I could at least get some interest and maybe I could even run the Black Bird and Orion at the same time so I only have to order material once!

What
Orion V2 Weight Insert in Brass/Stainless Steel with no engraving

Current Issues:
  • Does the Orion V1 have the same cavity? Can anyone confirm? That way I can offer it to more people, order more materials in bulk and have it cheaper for everyone.

We have one proposal for the Orion! Thank you so much Gaiden! Inspired by Master of Orion

155063-0

Status

12/18/2016 - Confirmed to fit on a Orion V1. Yaaay. Thanks Mr. Rooks
12/09/2016 - Test fit success! Thanks E3E, now we need to figure out if this works on a V1/Engraving Proposal by Gaiden
12/08/2016 - Prototype received by E3E
11/29/2016 - Prototype shipped to E3E for test fitment purposes.
11/28/2016 - Prototype in hand, going to ship to E3E soon.
11/21/2016 - Prototype built, should be arriving this week
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 December 2016, 15:07:09 by merlin64 »

Offline yicaoyimu

Re: [IC] Duck Orion V2 Weight Insert
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 15:49:34 »
I'm in.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 15:54:47 »
  • I'm still a relatively new GB runner, does anyone know if its kosher to run two GB even if its the same type of product, same manufacturer, but for different boards?

I'd make one thread called "Weight inserts for Duck keyboards (Orion v2 and Black Bird)" or something like that, which includes an order form with a choice (kinda like it is done with kit choices in keycap GB's), but that only works if you run them at the same time ofc.
If you are just talking about the ethics I think it is completely fine to run both.

Offline ticktwo

• -kbdfan
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 18:38:47 »
 :thumb:
HHKB | Leopold FC750R | Mech27 (soon) | TX-75 (soon)

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 21:40:46 »
id be interested!
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 02:54:47 »
Count me, too)))

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 13:45:58 »
Currently manufacturing the sample unit. Should arrive next week (fingers crossed).

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 13:46:47 »
would love to have the same kind of engraving like the octagon v2
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:17:36 »
UPDATE:

The prototype has been built! It should be arriving early this week!

Offline Damonskv

[IC] Duck Orion V2 Weight Insert - Prototype Built
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:19:19 »
UPDATE:

Great!!!! How about engravings? Maybe you can make hangul engravings, like in Korean Orion gb?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2016, 08:23:09 by Damonskv »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: [IC] Duck Orion V2 Weight Insert - Prototype Built
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 09:49:49 »
I would be interested in joining.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 10:29:46 »
UPDATE:

Great!!!! How about engravings? Maybe you can make hangul engravings, like in Korean Orion gb?

I'm open to any design submissions! I'll put it up on a poll. In the Octagon V2 Weight GB, a lot of people bought blank plates with the intention of bringing it to a local engraver to have them put on their own custom design. I wasn't willing to provide everyone their own unique one of a kind engraving.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 03:49:20 »
UPDATE:

I'm open to any design submissions! I'll put it up on a poll. In the Octagon V2 Weight GB, a lot of people bought blank plates with the intention of bringing it to a local engraver to have them put on their own custom design. I wasn't willing to provide everyone their own unique one of a kind engraving.

Is there any news? I saw that a blackbird weight have auhtorized CAD files now

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 09:15:21 »
The blackbird and Orion weights are being sent to me together so as to avoid double shipping

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 23:37:55 »
UPDATE

Prototype is in. Here's a few pictures. It clocks in at around 1.25 lbs (.56 kg) as it is made of scrap steel

E3E has volunteered to test fit this for me and report back any findings. I have yet to mail it to him.

154070-0

Size comparison between the black bird weight and the octagon v2 weight
154072-1

Side Shot
154074-2

Offline E3E

Re: [IC] Duck Orion V2 Weight Insert - Prototype In Hand!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 18:14:25 »
I'll post my findings as soon as I get the weight. I'll be out of town from Friday until Monday, so it might have to wait until next week, but no worries. I'll let everyone know. :D

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 10:11:46 »
Thanks E3E, it should be in the mail and get to you by next week at the latest

This thread hasn't gotten as much traction as the black bird one has, I hope its not an indication of lack of interest.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:07:05 »
Thanks E3E, it should be in the mail and get to you by next week at the latest

This thread hasn't gotten as much traction as the black bird one has, I hope its not an indication of lack of interest.
No no no.....
Don't think SO

Offline omgar

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 12:42:39 »
Definitely interested in this. :)

Offline calavera

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 04:07:24 »
Keeping my eye on this as well.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Duck Orion V2 Weight Insert - Prototype In Tester's Hands
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 18:38:28 »
UPDATE

I have received word that E3E has received my weight. Stay tuned for his updates!

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 02:12:02 »
UPDATE

I have received word that E3E has received my weight. Stay tuned for his updates!
Great news :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
waiting for photos and a final decision

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 03:04:44 »
Current Issues:
  • The CAD file has no engraving, if people want an engraved option, I'm going to need someone to propose one
  • Does the Orion V1 have the same cavity? Can anyone confirm? That way I can offer it to more people, order more materials in bulk and have it cheaper for everyone.
Not sure, but I can measure my V1 if you want.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline E3E

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 06:23:47 »
Pictures have arrived!

The shoe fits!

Also to note: I use an Orion v1 top on a v2 bottom and the acrylic diffusers are held in with double-sided tape.

Looking at JaccoW's v1 though, the plate size seems exactly the same, but I don't mind sending it out for futher testing if needed. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2016, 06:27:03 by E3E »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:25:48 »
Thanks E3E, that's awesome! Did the screws sit flush? Were you able to put your keyboard together and use it without the weight coming into contact with it? I'm curious as the 3 mm was a guess on my part. The Octagon V2 was 3 mm, so I assumed Duck would follow the same thickness for all his keyboards. I was right on the Black Bird too, so its looking I'm right on the Orion.

Do you know anyone who is as reliable as you and has a V1? We could forward it to them as well. I can pay for shipping. Just don't do international please LOL.

JaccoW that would be great if you could measure the crevice! I'm not going to say for sure it fits until I see one in a V1 crevice but measurements are a step in the right direction

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
UPDATE

Test Fit Success! Also Gaiden has proposed the first Orion engraving.

Offline E3E

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:36:52 »
Thanks E3E, that's awesome! Did the screws sit flush? Were you able to put your keyboard together and use it without the weight coming into contact with it? I'm curious as the 3 mm was a guess on my part. The Octagon V2 was 3 mm, so I assumed Duck would follow the same thickness for all his keyboards. I was right on the Black Bird too, so its looking I'm right on the Orion.

Do you know anyone who is as reliable as you and has a V1? We could forward it to them as well. I can pay for shipping. Just don't do international please LOL.

JaccoW that would be great if you could measure the crevice! I'm not going to say for sure it fits until I see one in a V1 crevice but measurements are a step in the right direction

I do think I know someone. I'll try to get a hold of them to see if they can help. :D

I'm absolutely certain that there will be no conflicts with a PCB mounted in the Orion v2 and the weight insert. I say this because my own hand made copper weight uses pan head brass screws and there has been no shorts what so ever.

On your weight, the countersunk holes are perfect and the screws provided with the Orion or indeed any metric countersunk screw of the right size should be just fine. It sits flush, so there's no doubt in my mind that we're in the clear in terms of being contact free from the bottom of the PCB.

My PCB for the Orion is also modded with holtite sockets for Alps, which stick out further than even the long pins on Alps switches. So I think we're safe!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
E3E, thanks for the quick reply. Just a point of clarification, are you saying that your Orion shipped with extra screws for a weight insert?

Offline E3E

E3E, thanks for the quick reply. Just a point of clarification, are you saying that your Orion shipped with extra screws for a weight insert?

Sorry for the now late response, but no. I had an extra set of screws with my Orion v2. It came with double the amount of smaller screws due to complaints from the first 30 orders that screws for the lower profile bottom (flat acrylic) were not provided for.

So no, I was just using the same mounting screws from the GB. They should be the same exact size and length as the screws used for the Octagon v2 weight.

Also, working out things with the tester for the v1.

Great looking logo, by the way!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:59:44 by E3E »

Offline Damonskv

Sorry for the now late response, but no. I had an extra set of screws with my Orion v2. It came with double the amount of smaller screws due to complaints from the first 30 orders that screws for the lower profile bottom (flat acrylic) were not provided for.

So no, I was just using the same mounting screws from the GB. They should be the same exact size and length as the screws used for the Octagon v2 weight.

My Orion is second-handed, and i don't have any additional screws

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!

Sorry for being late. :D

(Click for a larger version)
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline E3E

Show Image

Just shipped the plate to MrRooks. :(

We can at least compare the dimensions from the files though. I do believe they're the same just at a glance.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!

Show Image

We can at least compare the dimensions from the files though. I do believe they're the same just at a glance.
Probably cheaper since I live in Europe. :P

So no problem. :thumb:

EDIT: So that's why he contacted me about those acrylic plates.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:30:38 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling

Show Image

Probably cheaper since I live in Europe. :P

So no problem. :thumb:

EDIT: So that's why he contacted me about those acrylic plates.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, I contacted E3E about the bottom case files and he asked if I could test this weight since he knew I had a v1.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
I would like to suggest another source of inspiration for the engraving;

While I like the font used in the current design, back when I had Noko design me a wrist rest I asked her to include the constellation of Orion in it.
More

Would it be possible to do something with that?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
It fits the v1 nicely!

Offline E3E

It fits the v1 nicely!

Show Image

Show Image

Cool, just as I had thought. They're pretty much the same across the two versions. :D

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Ahh perfect. Thank you very much you two for doing this. I smell a GB coming along soon. =)

Offline poolside

Might hop on the weight train once it departs, especially if the engraving makes the cut. Just in case I find an Orion while opening my front door one day.  ;D
If this never happens, it will make for a nice and expensive paperweight.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
Ahh perfect. Thank you very much you two for doing this. I smell a GB coming along soon. =)

NP, put me on the list for one.  :thumb:

Offline E3E

Very happy to help and I'll definitely pick one up despite the copper one I cut by hand, haha. How could I pass this up?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
E3E, you could sell yours and market it as "artisan hand crafted", as opposed to my crude factory made unit.

Offline Mavarina

This is pretty dope :D

Offline Damonskv

Merlin, there will be about 100 eagles and snakes with v2, it may make sense to offer an ear for them ;)) I'm Sure elton will be able to get fresh cad file. This will probably allow to increase volume of the order and will reduce the final price for all, but for you it can turn into hell. Just thinking, don't even participate in this GB

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
I thought about doing the Eagle/Viper as well, but I figure if someone has all three boards they would want to get all 3, and it can get pricey. (I say this knowing full well that some have asked me to quote a tungsten weight...crazy people). With the holidays in full swing I want to lower the financial hit and also the hellish coordination on my end of things lol.

On a GH official note, I'm only allowed to run up to 2 GBs simultaneously. The Eagle/Viper would put me at 3. I don't believe I even have enough street cred to argue with any moderators to give me special privileges. Speaking of street cred, I do want to up my "successful" GB count. By running them at different times, I can achieve that.

Offline Damonskv

I thought about doing the Eagle/Viper as well, but I figure if someone has all three boards they would want to get all 3, and it can get pricey. (I say this knowing full well that some have asked me to quote a tungsten weight...crazy people). With the holidays in full swing I want to lower the financial hit and also the hellish coordination on my end of things lol.

On a GH official note, I'm only allowed to run up to 2 GBs simultaneously. The Eagle/Viper would put me at 3. I don't believe I even have enough street cred to argue with any moderators to give me special privileges. Speaking of street cred, I do want to up my "successful" GB count. By running them at different times, I can achieve that.
Tungsten, let's make it gold))) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline E3E

E3E, you could sell yours and market it as "artisan hand crafted", as opposed to my crude factory made unit.

Haha, that's not a bad idea.  :))

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
E3E and MrRooks, can you comment on how heavy it is? For example, did the inclusion of it make the keyboard feel better, or if you think its purely an aesthetic piece? I ask because the Black bird piece was super light and it was actually the first thing my test fitting volunteer mentioned (this is also what sparked the tungsten questions). E3E how did it compare to your artisan limited edition hand crafted copper weight?

Offline E3E

E3E and MrRooks, can you comment on how heavy it is? For example, did the inclusion of it make the keyboard feel better, or if you think its purely an aesthetic piece? I ask because the Black bird piece was super light and it was actually the first thing my test fitting volunteer mentioned (this is also what sparked the tungsten questions). E3E how did it compare to your artisan limited edition hand crafted copper weight?

I think I weighed the two weights on my scale, but I forget the exact measurements, but compared to my copper weight, it as lighter by a very... slim amount. I mean copper is the heavier metal, weight wise, but it's not anything that I'd say is very noticeable.

With that said, I love my Orion with its weight installed. It's very solid and whenever I pick it up, I pretty much have to intend to do so. It won't get knocked around at all. It definitely gives a very solid feel to the Orion.  I don't think anyone will be disappointed with either material here.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Alright guys, I think the GB will start soon

I pretty much copy and pasted this from the BB IC as the information is more or less the same. Just a few tweaks here and there. 

Costs:

As I thought things are more expensive than the Octagon V2 weight. That weight was a learning process and both me and my manufacturer learned a lot through several mistakes. This time we're pros. =)

The cost for both Orion and Octagon will be the same. Using the Octagon V2 sales as a basis if about 50 orion and 50 octagon plates are sold with an even mix of SS and Brass, the pricing will be as follows:

Brass: $60
Engraved Brass: $70

SS: $45
Engraved SS: $55

The big change is that these are all going to be mirror finish from the start. What happened with the Octagon is that they weren't mirror finish....so the cost was $40 for blanks, and $45 for engraved. The end result was that the SS came actually mirror finish, and the brass was almost there.

Rich People Stuff
For those requesting exotic materials. I think you better have at least $500 EACH ready to hand over. My manufacturer is willing to work with you as long as you are willing to pay. I'm hoping some of you actually go through with this as having a weight made out of tungsten would be pretty sexy and many years from now, you would be able to pass it off to your grand kids as a family heirloom, even if keyboards have "evolved".

Screws
I am still continuing my search for screws, either way I won't be charging for this until it comes shipping time. This way it helps mitigate some of the costs and gives me more time to go searching
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 December 2016, 08:22:52 by merlin64 »