Author Topic: 7bit Phantom Custom Keyboard Custom Layout  (Read 26939 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
7bit Phantom Custom Keyboard Custom Layout
« on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 23:19:05 »
I am planning on building a Phantom keyboard with 7bit's switch layout but I am going to use my own custom key layout. I am trying a few different things but I ended up combining the layout that I designed for the DOX keyboard and the HHKB layout (because 7bit's layout already had that HHKB feel to me). I have finalized most of it but there are a few keys that I cannot decide on and was looking for some ideas mainly for the blank keys on the default layer (though if you do have additional ideas please post them). Below are some reference pictures so you dont have to go around looking everywhere.

Phantom layout Sample
Phantom 7bit layout
7bit's layout
Updated 7bit layout
7bit's Layout updated

HHKB layout
HHKB Fn layout

my original DOX layout (M stands for mouse button)

my 7bit Phantom Custom Keyboard Custom Layout - default layer
my 7bit Phantom Custom Keyboard Custom Layout - Fn layer 1 (MB = Mouse Button)
my 7bit Phantom Custom Keyboard Custom Layout - Fn layer 2

I have updated the layouts (layers 2 and 3 will be toggle able):

Default Layer
Layer 1
Layer 2
Layer 3

The black boxes are what I still need help figuring out a use for, all help is appreciated!

Here are the changes that I horribly described:

Default Layer
Layer 1
Layer 2
Layer 3

And yes I still havent decided on the keys with the black boxes I just cant think of anything that makes sense.

Since the layout has changed I converted the old one to the new one. I will update it again soon since there are additional keys open. I am still looking for suggestions for the spacebar keys.

Default Layer
Layer 1
Layer 2
Layer 3

updated once again and this time all keys are used

Default Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Layer 3

Yes, I know that layer 3 has nothing on it, it is currently just a play holder an may not be there in the or it may with a completely new layout.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2011, 03:56:39 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 23:26:09 »
I left Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause open because if I can find a better use for those keys I will move them to Fn layer 1 as I dont use them very much. As for the keys where space is I would like at least 2 of the larger ones open to be used as space. The keys that I have the least idea of what function to make them are the 1x1 key in the middle of space and the 1x1 key to the left of return. As for Fn layer 2 I plan to use Fn+a key to toggle it on and off.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2011, 01:45:44 by TheProfosist »

Offline slueth

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 15:44:47 »
Hmm, that numpad embedded in the arrow keys was what I was thinking when i saw 7bit's layout.  I want keycaps that have the appropriate keys for each fn layer now :/  Probably too customizable.
I would have the numpad on the second layer and not the primary layer though. Thats what is so cool about the teensy though, you can just reflash it when you think of new layouts.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 19:18:21 »
Quote from: slueth;450684
Hmm, that numpad embedded in the arrow keys was what I was thinking when i saw 7bit's layout.  I want keycaps that have the appropriate keys for each fn layer now :/  Probably too customizable.
I would have the numpad on the second layer and not the primary layer though. Thats what is so cool about the teensy though, you can just reflash it when you think of new layouts.
I might switch the layuou t so that it is default the the fn layer make it the numpad and HHKB style would you be up for that im trying to get a few people to try an get custom caps with Fn legends

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 23:08:29 »
I have made the 3 middle buttons in the bottom row all space as it is the most common place that I have found that I and friends hit space. I am still looking for useful functions for the outer keys and the small key to the left of return. All suggestions are welcome.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 13:34:07 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;449753
my 7bit Phantom Custom Keyboard Custom Layout - default layer
Show Image
I have question about how you plan on getting the keycaps for your new keyboard layout. If you are going for all same profile keys then it should be very easy, but if you are going for sculpted keys I think you might run into a few problems with the right side 1.75 size shift key (same size as capslock, but different sculpted shape) and the bottom row 8x1.5 size keys (same as tab and \, but different sculpted shape) and lastly the 1.25 size enter key (same size as the win/ctrl/alt, but different sculpted shape.) That was the very thing that made me change my mind about changing the size of the right shift key for my design. Although for the bottom row you could change the 1.5 keys with 1.25 and get an extra 2 keys in there. 8x1.25 = 10 and 5x1 keys. Also it would be easier to find 1.25 size keys since that is the default win/ctrl/alt than a custom 1.5 sculpted key (just giving advice as it would save money and allow even more keys on the bottom row.) Remember every row has a total of 15x1 keys that can fit.
Default layout
Code: [Select]
 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2
1.5 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1.5
1.75 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2.25
 2.25 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2.75
1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1.25 1.25 1.25 1.25
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2011, 13:38:10 by bloodygood »
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline Minskleip

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 13:59:02 »
Quote from: bloodygood;451224
I have question about how you plan on getting the keycaps for your new keyboard layout.

Round 4.

7bit's layout is based on the Phantom PCB which main goal was to be able to use vintage Cherry double shot keycaps with 1.5u ctrl and alt.
What\'s in the back of my car? A cdr lol

Split Tipro keyboard with R3 keycaps

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 14:24:34 »
Quote from: Minskleip;451236
Round 4.

7bit's layout is based on the Phantom PCB which main goal was to be able to use vintage Cherry double shot keycaps with 1.5u ctrl and alt.
Wouldn't that still require extra keys that may or may not be easy to obtain?
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 14:44:43 »
Quote from: bloodygood;451249

If you're cool with blank keys or don't care what the keys say, I'm pretty sure you'd just need to order the R4 tenkeyless kit and modifier kit (or RGB even) to have appropriately sized keys for those rows.

Offline Minskleip

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:00:09 »
I'm sure 7bit puts the missing pieces in the modifier kit or something ;)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:06:42 »
I will be looking into group buy round 4. There should be enough people that are getting 7bits layout to get at least blank keys of the non standard ones. It would be great if I could at least get the default layout on the keys.

I have updated the layouts:

Default Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Layer 3

The black boxes are what I still need help figuring out a use for, all help is appreciated!

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:16:22 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;449753
Show Image

What about Super and Hyper modifiers.

I would put |\ down left of RETURN and use the |\-position for something else.

I use the DELETE key on the numpad, so I like to have DELETE in the bottom row.

About the space bar:
You should look at your spacebar where it is shiny. Just make that single switch where you usually press SPACE the space bar. For me, it is somewhere under C and V.

Quote from: bloodygood;451249

There are quite a lot of choices in Round 4 for this keyboard, especially in the SPH and ROUND3 styles;-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:25:23 by 7bit »
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:25:37 »
Quote from: 7bit;451283

About the space bar:
You should look at your spacebar where it is shiny. Just make that single switch where you usually press SPACE the space bar. For me, it is somewhere under C and V.
I know for myself personally I use the C and V side when I am playing a FPS but when I am typing I use the N and M side. So that actually might be exactly what they are looking for.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:40:04 »
Quote from: 7bit;451283

About the space bar:
I couldnt find anything on super and hyper. I do know that super is sometimes substituted for win but thats about it.

Moving the |\ key makes some seance and might be viable. The only reason that i put it where it is now is because that is where it is on a HHKB. if I did move it what would you suggest I put where it was? The other keys that I dont have a problem moving are PrtSc, ScrLk, and Pause but I need to think of useful function s to put there. Based off the Realforce number pad I could put Esc, Tab, and = (in that order). The i would make the key left to Del PrtSc. ScrLk and Pause would be moved down to Layer 1 and I would adjust the Fn keys (possible Fn + 1, 2, 3 would lock the corresponding layer).

As for the space bar I did some checking and I hit space mostly right where I put the two order space bars but sometime I hit it right under B thats why I have all 3 space. This does correlate with the spots that my HHKB's spacebar is shiny.

Offline Minskleip

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:40:30 »
Everyone with the opportunity should try split space/backspace at least once. It's brilliant!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 15:41:54 »
Quote from: bloodygood;451290
I know for myself personally I use the C and V side when I am playing a FPS but when I am typing I use the N and M side. So that actually might be exactly what they are looking for.
I do something similar when I use my thumbs to hit the space bar otherwise I hit right under B with my right index finger.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 16:08:38 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;451293
I couldnt find anything on super and hyper. I do know that super is sometimes substituted for win but thats about it.

Moving the |\ key makes some seance and might be viable. The only reason that i put it where it is now is because that is where it is on a HHKB. if I did move it what would you suggest I put where it was? The other keys that I dont have a problem moving are PrtSc, ScrLk, and Pause but I need to think of useful function s to put there. Based off the Realforce number pad I could put Esc, Tab, and = (in that order). The i would make the key left to Del PrtSc. ScrLk and Pause would be moved down to Layer 1 and I would adjust the Fn keys (possible Fn + 1, 2, 3 would lock the corresponding layer).

As for the space bar I did some checking and I hit space mostly right where I put the two order space bars but sometime I hit it right under B thats why I have all 3 space. This does correlate with the spots that my HHKB's spacebar is shiny.

I need ( and ) quite often, so I've got them up there.

I gues I can be really lucky I don't miss a long space bar at all!
I could use a 1 unit key as space without any problem to find it.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 17:48:25 »
I think I'm going to do a wide dvorak layout with all the extra keys, and just have some cool macro or mousebuttons in the middle.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 17:53:34 »
I have had a sudden idea because I also use the (, ), and other symbols from the num row alot. On the default layer the num row will actually be the symbols not the numbers because the numpad is out. When you engage layer 2 it will switch it back to normal. Also I am going to put Esc, Tab, and = where PrtSc, ScrLk, and Pause are. PrtSc, ScrLk, and Pause will be added to layer 1. |\ will be moved next to return and PrtSc will go next to Del. I think this makes for a much more useful keyboard for myself. Though I sill can figure out what to do with those 2 outer spacebar buttons.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 04:24:10 »
Here are the changes that I horribly described:

Default Layer:

Layer 1:

Layer 2:

Layer 3:

And yes I still havent decided on the keys with the black boxes I just cant think of anything that makes sense.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:23:18 »
Since the layout has changed I converted the old one to the new one. I will update it again soon since there are additional keys open. I am still looking for suggestions for the spacebar keys.

Default Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Layer 3
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:33:12 by TheProfosist »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 11:27:58 »
Interesting.. Myself, I think that I would get uncomfortable with the key being so far away and the bar not being bulbous on top.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 12:24:32 »
Quote from: Findecanor;454080
Interesting.. Myself, I think that I would get uncomfortable with the key being so far away and the bar not being bulbous on top.
well there will probably be some adjusting that for sure as this is by no means a standard layout.

Offline kps

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 12:53:57 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;453850
I am still looking for suggestions for the spacebar keys.
Why do you have three small space keys instead of one 4u space bar?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 12:59:24 »
Quote from: kps;454145
Why do you have three small space keys instead of one 4u space bar?
because there are switches there on the original 7bit layout. Also I did find uses for the black keys their going to be mechanically toggleable Fn keys for layers 2 and 3. Layer 3 may also be changing as if toggled on you would have no arrow keys since you can only have one layer active at a time.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 03:30:51 »
updated once again and this time all keys are used

Default Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Layer 3

Yes, I know that layer 3 has nothing on it, it is currently just a play holder an may not be there in the or it may with a completely new layout.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2011, 03:56:57 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 21:05:35 »
Updated the layout slightly again and removed layer 3.

Default Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 22:34:13 »
This is a sweet project.  I was planning to get a regular ANSI Phantom, but I think I'm going to have to go with a 7bit.  Some of the extra keys for me will definitely be mouse buttons.

Have you figured out what keycaps you're getting from R4 yet?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 22:46:20 »
Quote from: hashbaz;457166
This is a sweet project.  I was planning to get a regular ANSI Phantom, but I think I'm going to have to go with a 7bit.  Some of the extra keys for me will definitely be mouse buttons.

Have you figured out what keycaps you're getting from R4 yet?

I have mouse buttons they are in layer one just like my dox layout. I think I actually might skip on that and get custom legends from wasd I had to make a few compromises to make it work though. The entire bottom row is 1x1.25 keys and enter has to be a R2 1x1.25 as that is the closest I could get. Might be weird at first but it also might help me locate it better.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 09:55:39 »
I modified the layout a bit so that I could use keycaps from WASD. The only down side is that there is a small gap on the right and left side of the bottom row and the Enter key has to be a R1 key. I personally can make these compromises because I want custom legends of my layout. A new revision of my layout is hopefully soon to follow along with a template for WASD.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:39:51 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;454614
Show Image

Quote from: TheProfosist;457387
I modified the layout a bit so that I could use keycaps from WASD. The only down side is that there is a small gap on the right and left side of the bottom row and the Enter key has to be a R1 key. I personally can make these compromises because I want custom legends of my layout. A new revision of my layout is hopefully soon to follow along with a template for WASD.

Show Image

What lengths were the keys on the bottom row before?  And won't the keys in the new layout shrink toward their centers, relative to the old layout?  (As opposed to how you have it here with the extra space on the ends.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:43:09 by hashbaz »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:41:30 »
Quote from: hashbaz;457535
What lengths were keys on the bottom row before?
that is the old one this is the new one though you still have to use a R1 1x1.25 for enter

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:43:53 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;457537
that is the old one this is the new one though you still have to use a R1 1x1.25 for enter

Show Image

Yeah I know, you were too fast for my edit. :)

Won't the keys in the new layout shrink toward their centers, relative to the old layout? (As opposed to how you have it here with the extra space on the ends.)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:49:54 »
Quote from: hashbaz;457539
Yeah I know, you were too fast for my edit. :)

Won't the keys in the new layout shrink toward their centers, relative to the old layout? (As opposed to how you have it here with the extra space on the ends.)
no i tried it out for my self the only extra space would be that little bit on the 2 sides. I am putting the key caps right were the old ones were and the spacing works out as all the key caps are centered. The total width can also be a max of 15 and this ends up being 14.75. I can guarantee that 3-1x1.25 fit in the area of 2-1.50 and 1-1x1 with 0.125 on each side. Increasing  the other 2-1x1.5 to 1x1.75 adds 0.125 on each side thus taking up the room between the groups of 3-1x1.25 leaving only 0.125 on the right and left of the bottom row.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:58:05 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 07:21:14 »
Revised layout after the change to the ISO like left shift:

Default Layer:

Layer 1:

Layer 2:

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 01:12:20 »
Update again about learning about what can and can not be done with the firmware. The num row is normal now and the numbers on the num pad are num pad numbers so a num lock was added. Also the num pad was re arranged to be more normal.

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2011, 15:06:33 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 18:25:45 »
I will be creating a new thread which will be continuously updated and hopefully easier to follow in my sub forum