Author Topic: Monitor height, severe neck pain  (Read 5666 times)

Offline typo

Monitor height, severe neck pain
« on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 06:52:52 »
I broke my neck in 1989. On class 1 narcotic treatment currently. I am about 3 feet from 3x 48" displays. I have them set so my eyes naturally fall dead center. Issue is the bottom,top and sides are over a foot  away. am I just too closer to displays due to lack of distance or can I adjust them better? They are on fully articulated arms. The only reason I am this close is because THX labs says says I am supposed to be. I really do not mind moving them back if that is the issue. Or is it something else? thank you

I am going to try my best not to say anything off color in this thread. Although I just cannot promise anything. I really do mean well. I never want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Monitor height, severe neck pain
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 07:13:20 »
I sit further than that away from my single 20", not surprised you have pain turning as often as you must have to!

No idea who THX labs are but they don't sound like anyone I'd listen to - for a screen area that big I'd be sat further away than my room allows.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 07:32:43 »
You're too close.  You want to be around 1 to 1.5 meters.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 08:25:53 »
I do not get it. I never did. Google THX labs. they are the foremost authority on home theater. They say you must be 30" from a 48" display. They are nuts. It is killing me. popping Fentanyl all day. I have legit prescriptions. Even 1.5M I think is too close TP? I want to be like 6 feet. That is total reconfiguration of my office but no big deal and no cost. Just labor. I cannot do it. I have a broken neck and now cancer.  My buddies will do it no problem. I only have but a few. You know, I would rather 3 friends you bet your life on then 20 you hardly know. My friends have done things for me like saints. Anyways, I want this 6 feet. that will fix the issue 100%. Right now it is just plastered in my face and my muscles are going crazy on an already highly compromised neck. no good. I knew I was too close. Screw THX. Last time I listen to them. thank you guy's!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 09:08:14 »
The THX thing is based on how close you need to be to see the fine-texture detail on 4K movies.

If you don't need to see people's pores, you don't have to be that close.

THX doesn't apply to office use.

I think If I were to do it over, I'd get 3x 85 inch at 15 feet.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 04:23:56 »
Yeah, I just went 6 feet from my 48" and feel way better. I can see them better!

Offline AJM

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 05:41:04 »
I just think it's such a waste of money and space to buy bigger and bigger screens and then place them further and further away.
Wouldn't it be smarter to get a second set of glasses which are optimized for a normal viewing distance (arms length). That way 27" screens would be easily sufficient.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:16:14 »
I just think it's such a waste of money and space to buy bigger and bigger screens and then place them further and further away.
Wouldn't it be smarter to get a second set of glasses which are optimized for a normal viewing distance (arms length). That way 27" screens would be easily sufficient.

No,

The natural eye resting vergence distance is ~ 1 meter

The natural eye focus distance is ~ 1 meter. 

There are tiny muscles in the eye which have to contract to focus on close objects. at 1 meter plus, these muscles are at rest.

The ciliary muscles which control the lens in your eye also has this range.

Bigger, Farther, Better. 

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 03:28:39 »
As usual TP has the answer! I am not being sarcastic, I mean it! TP is the man!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:02:48 »

I have to place my monitor super low because people adjust them to be high. They say "its for good posture" but it ends up being a huge inconvinience.

Offline AJM

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 13:33:36 »
I have to place my monitor super low because people adjust them to be high. They say "its for good posture" but it ends up being a huge inconvinience.

Yes, you usually should look a bit down towards the center of the screen. If one uses monster TVs as computer displays, though, this might not even be possible - on its lowest setting.  :rolleyes:

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 07:14:53 »
That was exactly it! Close up it was way too tall! I was bending my neck straight up. I mean after months it seriously hurt. I was taking codeine!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 07:19:21 »
It's not gud' to take opioid medication long term. Destroys your liver ontop of making you quite dependent.

Very easily one could also be set on the path of addiction/abuse.

It alters your personality and your ability to focus. similar to giving you ADHD.

Many people who they used in their Commercial for opioid painkillers turned into drug addicts.

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 10:04:08 »
Nah, I only took 1 pill a day for a week before I posted this. The doctor prescribed it, said it was okay. Codeine is not hard stuff anyways. It is actually over the counter in Canada. I still agree with you. Plenty of people abuse it. They tend to abuse the much harder ones though. I would imagine drug addiction sucks. He only gave me 10 pills anyways. Luckily you resolved the issue. Sitting 18 inches from 3x 48 inch displays is absurd. Thank you THX. Luckily my setup is modular. It was no big deal to get much further away. Took me an hour to setup. Proper positioning worked much better than the codeine, go figure! That just goes to show there are better answers than opiates usually. Correct the actual problem. Even if someone needs surgery it is better in the long run I would imagine. Being a junkie I hear is a pretty lousy lifestyle. You don't have to worry about me. I don't even drink or smoke. I appreciate your concern though. You are a good guy TP.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 10:41:31 »
Key thing about opioids is, NO ONE is immune to its allure.  It is the Chemical equivalent of HAPPINESS.

You can be of the most sound and stern mind, yet still succumb.

The straight answer in all case is,  take ibuprofen instead.

Addiction knows no borders.

Offline typo

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 00:39:34 »
Oh yes I know this. That is why I hardly ever use them. I have used 3 times in my life, weakest ones for not more than 6 days. People use the real hard ones for months= on their own. Or, rehab. Dreadful.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 08:06:34 »
If it was a situation where I had to be on an opioid to do it I'd be seriously looking at changing to a job that doesn't require me to be on a computer and cut it out entirely during my leisure time. Money is important but not at the expense of your health.

As much screen distance as you can manage is probably good. As much movement as possible is also essential. Some people sit on medicine balls because they're constantly having to shift position.

Having extra time during lockdown has underlined to me that I'm best off spending as little time sitting as possible if I want to be comfortable when I am sitting. A good ergonomic setup can only do so much. Walking a lot has made by back feel a thousand times better whatever chair I'm in.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2020, 08:17:03 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline typo

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 17:07:31 »
Yes, even with Embody sit-stand is a must. I just messed up listening to THX. That only lasted 3 weeks luckily. Being that close is crazy.

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:18:37 »
Got it set right. Feeling much better. It was actually the chair height, not the monitor.