Author Topic: Reflection | A dual-mount XT FRLTKL (GB starts Oct. 20th)  (Read 30044 times)

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Reflection | A dual-mount XT FRLTKL (GB starts Oct. 20th)
« on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 10:33:45 »
Reflection
An XT FRLTKL by Han Boards

The group buy will be live from 10/20 to 11/20! See the GB page for full details.

Design Summary

External

Reflection features a three-piece / three-tone design with a silver base, copper weight, and top color variants. It is an XT FRLTKL (basically a TKL with the F-row removed and a macro column on the side). The board features a large swept cut copper weight that follows the curve of the top piece side profile. The front of the board has a cherry lip of sorts - with the lip being the deepest in the middle and gently flowing into the chamfer on the side edges. There is a gentle cut on the sides and back of the board to give the perimeter some flair. Two engravings are present - one left justified on the back of the board and one on the underside of the board (see Inspiration). The mirrored engraving on the aluminum bottom is half the depth of the one of the copper weight to give the appearance of a “reflection”.

Internal

The board features an internal screw system to keep the weight design as clean as possible. The final screws will be black oxidized and recessed slightly below the plate to be as hidden as possible. The aluminum inner frame has an open bottom so the copper is effectively a through weight giving a nice contrast on both the bottom as well as the inside of the keyboard. The daughterboard is installed upside-down with the cable being colinear with the PCB molex connector eliminating the need to bend the jst cable in a channel. There are small press-fit bumpers placed next to the screw holes to eliminate any chance of case ping. There are no adhesives anywhere on the board so it can be unassembled fully.

Inspiration
More

This keyboard is largely an homage to my home country of Bangladesh. The green colorway is based on the country flag and the engravings are inspired by Bengali architecture.

The image above is a photo I snapped of the National Martyr’s Monument. Not only does it have a lot of cultural significance representing the events leading up to Bangladesh’s recognition as a sovereign nation, but also has been praised for it’s architectural excellence. It towers over the surrounding garden space and really is a marvel to behold.

There is also a small pool placed in front of the monument - when viewed straight on, this gives a nice reflection of the entire structure. This is why I chose to name it “Reflection” and added an mirrored engraving of Bengali script on the front side of the board which states the name of the board.

Gallery

v2 Prototype - Sand

v1 Prototype - Green

Collab Renders w/ KKB Alhambra

More

Scene Renders
More

Color Renders

Green (anodized)

Black (anodized)

Brown (anodized)

Silver (anodized)

Sand (e-coat)

Sound Tests
Prototype v1: Carbon fiber plate built with Punkshoo Runners and GMK Botanical r2 (Nainaigogo)

Prototype v1: Aluminum plate built with Obscuras and GMK Wasabi (Nainaigogo)

Technical Specifications

General Details

Material (case): Sandblasted 6063 Aluminum
Material (weight): Sandblasted Clear-Coat Copper
Variants: WK and WKL
Weight: 7 lbs (3.2 kg)
Typing Angle: 7 deg
EKH: 23mm
Plate Options: Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, PP, POM - full/half options (determined by IC)
Colors: Green, Black, Brown, Silver, Sand

Layout

Solder

Hotswap

Support
  • Split Backspace
  • ISO (solder only)
  • Split Right Shift
  • Stepped Caps Lock
  • 10U Spacebar (7U and 8U stab placement)
  • 7U bottom row / 6.25U bottom row (WK only)

PCB Details

Type: Solder & Hotswap
Structure: 1.6mm FR4
Processor: STM32F072
Software: QMK/VIAL
Switch Type: MX
ESD Protection: Onboard Fuse
Daughterboard: Custom DB - based on UDB C3
Cable Type: Molex EZMate

Mounting Options

Gasket Plug Mount
The gasket plugs are secured into the plate tabs and the overall assembly is dropped into the bottom case. The top case is then placed over it. This should make for a more flexible typing experience.

Burger O-Ring Top Mount
The plate is fixed to the top chassis using a screw and two small o-ring gasket pieces. This provides a stiffer typing experience overall.

Group Buy Details

Kit Contents
  • Keyboard case (top, bottom and weight)
  • Aluminum full plate (other plates will be extras)
  • PCB
  • Custom daughterboard and Molex cable
  • Gasket kit
  • Top mount kit
  • ESD protective sheet
  • Assembly hardware
  • Geon rectangular feet
  • Carrying case
  • Microfiber cloth

Schedule
The group buy will take place on October 20th and will end on November 20th.
Expected fulfillment is end of Q1 2024.

Price & Quantity
Pricing will be between $440 - $475 depending on configuration. See below image for details

Vendors
  • Han Boards - USA
  • ProtoTypist - International

Content Line-up
  • Nainaigogo
  • nearLucid
  • TheKeyCircle
  • CaptainSterling
  • Keypothecary
  • Alexotos
  • Xinxinwong
  • Eleagnifolia
  • Kimlynnwin
  • LightningKeyboards

Thank You
  • Jan, Nainaigogo, and MatthewDias for causing me great distress at all times
  • My friend MelghiDoodles for providing the art for the board
  • OCM for transforming the artwork to the keyboard world
  • Olivia (OJ Designs) for the fantastic render work
  • Jan (again) for the insane pictures

Signature
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=120288.0][img width=375 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/fLo4wJE.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2023, 12:09:07 by Farhandsome »

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Re: Reflection | A dual-mount XTWKLFRLTKL
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 10:34:22 »
05-15-2023

Ordered a new prototype in the sand colorway
  • Added bumpers near the screw holes as a force-break mechanism
  • Increased side bezel width slightly to match the interior bezels
  • Thickened plate tabs slightly to avoid deformation

Updated the original post to include a design summary

05-31-2023

IC Form Results
  • Green, black, and sand will definitely be offered. The other ones will most likely be seeing the level of interest.
  • There will be a WK version which will have 6.25U support.
  • There will be a hotswap PCB with all the same compatibility except for ISO.
  • The plates offered will be aluminum, carbon fiber, and PP.  (tbd on half plate options!)
  • I will design and get quotes on a foam kit. TBD on if it will be offered during the GB. At the very minimum, it will be open sourced for people to get foam cut.

Next Steps
  • The sand prototype will arrive to me in mid-June.

07-19-2023

Current Progress

Next Steps
  • Waiting on v3 plate - beefed up the tabs a bit due to the edges of the board being too flexy
  • Announce vendors - waiting on one more response
  • Finalize pricing

08-09-2023

Current Progress
  • Ordered final prototypes (including one in a new brown colorway) - will arrive to me mid-September
  • Pricing tentatively set at $450 - $475 depending on options
  • GB tentatively set for mid-October to mid-November

Next Steps
  • Schedule content
  • Announce vendors

09-25-2023

Updated page with all group buy details! The group buy will be ran from Oct. 20th - Nov. 20th and will be vendored by Han Boards and ProtoTypist.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2023, 16:25:44 by Farhandsome »

Offline irithyll

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 10:42:18 »
Looks interesting!
Definitely worthy of the 10u spacebar support.
GLWIC!

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 10:46:17 »
in for 12

Offline warhopper

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 12:08:16 »
Board looks fantastic! Sign me up for one already. Really excited about the added 10u support too!

Offline nainaigogo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 12:26:23 »
I didn't know it, but I've been waiting for this my entire life.

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 12:28:12 »
Honestly, very interested in this. GL!

Offline white_rabbit

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 14:42:55 »
Very cool, love the green and copper.

Offline twitchytheinsideman

• UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU
    • Twitchy Homepage
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 17:04:43 »
so good

why not just use Geon Tadpoles for your gasket mount?
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2023, 17:07:33 by twitchytheinsideman »

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 17:45:06 »
10u spacebar is always based
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:25:56 »
I didn't know it, but I've been waiting for this my entire life.

Board looks fantastic! Sign me up for one already. Really excited about the added 10u support too!

Looks interesting!
Definitely worthy of the 10u spacebar support.
GLWIC!

Honestly, very interested in this. GL!

in for 12

Very cool, love the green and copper.

10u spacebar is always based

Thank you all  :thumb:

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 09:26:57 »
so good

why not just use Geon Tadpoles for your gasket mount?

Thank you! I was thinking of using the tadpoles - but I wanted a custom mold to fit an M2 profile since the top mount kit is in an M2 size. This allows all the screws across the entire board to be the same size only needing one driver.

Offline .jan

• keebsta
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:51:26 »
give this to me

Offline RLKeebs

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 May 2023, 13:57:38 »
This looks amazing, will definitely be keeping my eye on this project!

Offline VIMFXRTHEHEVD

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 May 2023, 08:07:21 »
I NWEEWDDDDDFJFJFKFJDJD DIIIIDDDD JFJFJDLSLZBXXKZK

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 May 2023, 08:55:30 »
Thanks all for the responses and the comments so far. The IC responses have been great! :thumb: Here's a brief update:

05-15-2023

Ordered a new prototype in the sand colorway
  • Added bumpers near the screw holes as a force-break mechanism
  • Increased side bezel width slightly to match the interior bezels
  • Thickened plate tabs slightly to avoid deformation

Updated the original post to include a design summary
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 July 2023, 10:17:57 by Farhandsome »

Offline doctorboy

• ClackX
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 May 2023, 10:20:15 »
Thanks for sharing this project, it looks cool. Quick question/suggestion from my side:
- Would you have considered the usage of the unified daughterboard? Is there any rationale to use a custom version?

It would also be great if you could share some photos from the prototypes. Thanks.

Offline Kooks

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 May 2023, 12:09:19 »
Clean design through and through. Engraving is nice and lip is interesting as well
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 May 2023, 12:11:05 by Kooks »

Offline .jan

• keebsta
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 May 2023, 15:46:39 »
It would also be great if you could share some photos from the prototypes. Thanks.

I have some news for you

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 May 2023, 03:03:40 »
this looks insanely good

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 May 2023, 09:03:58 »
Clean design through and through. Engraving is nice and lip is interesting as well

this looks insanely good

Thanks so much for following  :thumb:

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 May 2023, 09:10:26 »
Thanks for sharing this project, it looks cool. Quick question/suggestion from my side:
- Would you have considered the usage of the unified daughterboard? Is there any rationale to use a custom version?

Great question - the sole reason I made a modified version is for ease of use. I always found the cable routing to be a small annoyance in a lot of my builds, so the DB I made is electrically the same as the unified DB, just slightly elongated and with a 90-degree rotated connector port. This makes the DB connector directly line up with the connector on the PCB for a straight cable channel.

I realize the pitfall of that is the fact that the Unified DB is open source and can be easily obtained - I will open-source my own version to keep in this spirit.

As Jan pointed out so illustriously, the images you see in the "Gallery" section are pictures taken by him  :thumb:
However, I see now that there aren't any internal pics so I will take some of those as soon as I get the chance and update the post with them!

Thanks for your comments   :)

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 09:48:28 »
Hi all - just another update here! The IC form has had almost 150 responses which is amazing. This allows me to keep the price low and keep the options open. Hoping to continue gaining interest on this one  :thumb:

05-31-2023

IC Form Results
  • Green, black, and sand will definitely be offered. The other ones will most likely be seeing the level of interest.
  • There will be a WK version which will have 6.25U support.
  • There will be a hotswap PCB with all the same compatibility except for ISO.
  • The plates offered will be aluminum, carbon fiber, and PP.  (tbd on half plate options!)
  • I will design and get quotes on a foam kit. TBD on if it will be offered during the GB. At the very minimum, it will be open sourced for people to get foam cut.

Next Steps
  • The sand prototype will arrive to me in mid-June.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 July 2023, 10:17:26 by Farhandsome »

Offline silverductape

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 11:09:16 »

I realize the pitfall of that is the fact that the Unified DB is open source and can be easily obtained - I will open-source my own version to keep in this spirit.

My two cents as someone who's always anxious about broken pcbs turning my keyboards into paperweights: I don't think open sourcing the DB would necessarily address the main issue w/ proprietary daughterboards, which is accessibility. Since there's so many boards using the Unified DB, lots of vendors keep them in stock for ~$10. Even though the DB for this board is open sourced, wouldn't the actual cost of getting them made be prohibitive unless someone happens to run a GB for it?

Otherwise, I'm extremely excited for this board and hope it runs smoothly!

Offline yiuoterw

• i love wasting money
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 12:16:00 »
Wow, i love the backweight design on this!
new owlabs board when?

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 01 June 2023, 09:54:02 »

My two cents as someone who's always anxious about broken pcbs turning my keyboards into paperweights: I don't think open sourcing the DB would necessarily address the main issue w/ proprietary daughterboards, which is accessibility. Since there's so many boards using the Unified DB, lots of vendors keep them in stock for ~$10. Even though the DB for this board is open sourced, wouldn't the actual cost of getting them made be prohibitive unless someone happens to run a GB for it?

Thanks for the comment. I definitely see where you're coming from - getting one-off PCBs made is pretty cost prohibitive. I've looked at it and I can actually make the DB mounting holes compatible with both my custom DB as well as the UDB so I will most likely go that route. That way, replacements can be easily sourced from any vendor carrying the new UDB C4. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 08:54:23 »
Even though the DB for this board is open sourced, wouldn't the actual cost of getting them made be prohibitive unless someone happens to run a GB for it?

From experience, for something as small as a daughterboard, it’s not really that expensive. More expensive than in-stock, definitely. And I think there’s still a good case to be made for using standardized parts in general. But getting replacement PCBs of that size is not difficult if the design is open source.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 15:28:14 »

Thanks for the comment. I definitely see where you're coming from - getting one-off PCBs made is pretty cost prohibitive. I've looked at it and I can actually make the DB mounting holes compatible with both my custom DB as well as the UDB so I will most likely go that route. That way, replacements can be easily sourced from any vendor carrying the new UDB C4. Thanks for the feedback!

By adopting this cutout - we are able to accommodate both the custom DB as well as three points on the C4 model  :thumb:

So aftermarket UDBs can be used.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 June 2023, 18:20:13 »
Hi all! Just a quick plug here -

Nainaigogo will be live with the first Reflection prototype here in about 10 minutes (6:30 pm CST)! There will be some QOL improvements between this one and the GB units but it's a good first look at the design and sound signature of the board.

https://www.twitch.tv/nainaigogo

Check her out!  :thumb:

Offline Soums

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 10 July 2023, 22:24:20 »
Damn, if only this was reversible, would instantly buy out moq :(

Jokes aside, looks great :thumb:
Filco Zero Camo TKL | HHKB Professional 2 | KMAC 2 | KMAC Pad | LZ RE | LZ XE | LZ REs | Koala | Ottantaquattro | Dodici | Kohaku | Nue

Looking for:
LZ SE 
LZ S

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 July 2023, 10:24:22 »
Another update for ya! Things have been moving smoothly  :thumb:

07-19-2023

Current Progress

Next Steps
  • Waiting on v3 plate - beefed up the tabs a bit due to the edges of the board being too flexy
  • Announce vendors - waiting on one more response
  • Finalize pricing

So far so good !! Can't wait to see this come to life.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 August 2023, 12:14:31 by Farhandsome »

Offline Sieglinde

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 July 2023, 23:30:35 »
The "Lip" is final correct? Not a fan of it but overall the board looks great.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 09:16:03 »
The "Lip" is final correct? Not a fan of it but overall the board looks great.

Thank you! Yes - I would say the lip is final, I think it helps to have the board stand out from a top-down view!

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Re: Reflection | A dual-mount XT FRLTKL
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 12:21:00 »
Update!

08-09-2023

Current Progress
  • Ordered final prototypes (including one in a new brown colorway) - will arrive to me mid-September
  • Pricing tentatively set at $450 - $475 depending on options
  • GB tentatively set for mid-October to mid-November

Next Steps
  • Schedule content
  • Announce vendors

Finally getting close to GB time!
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2023, 16:26:08 by Farhandsome »

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 15:23:05 »
OOF, that brown is great. Can't wait for the GB!

Offline shendoo

• *RAUGHS*
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 17 August 2023, 16:33:04 »
Really nice project! GLWIC!

Offline trashem

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 27 August 2023, 08:08:44 »
the colors are absolutely stunning, can’t wait to see how this goes!

Offline cabotagecop

• dinosaur game
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 04:04:34 »
I really like this design and color.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Re: Reflection | A dual-mount XT FRLTKL (GB starts Oct. 20th)
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 September 2023, 16:30:04 »
Hi all! We have all the group buy details set now! Also added a silver colorway.

09-25-2023

Group Buy Details
  • GB: Oct 20th - Nov 20th
  • Fulfillment Period: End of Q1 2024
  • Priced between $440 - $475 depending on configuration. See main post for details.
  • Vendored by Han Boards (USA) and ProtoTypist (international)

Can't wait to kick this one off!

Offline n1l

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 September 2023, 19:03:28 »
I am curious as to why you chose to handle the vendor process by yourself (USA)?

Offline iwobobul

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 14:43:05 »
The curves are amazing, GLWGB

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 13:36:11 »
I am curious as to why you chose to handle the vendor process by yourself (USA)?

Good question! We've ran group buys before and are fully set up to house the incoming materials, do QC, and ship in a timely manner for the US based orders. I don't imagine this GB to be on a massive scale by any means given the response to the IC so I believe the team that I have locally has the experience to fulfill ourselves CONUS.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 08:43:12 »
Added a small explosion diagram too for anyone curious. GB is set to go live 2 days from now! Will be posting the GB page shortly.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 20 October 2023, 11:19:09 »
The GB is now live!

USA Group Buy Page
International Group Buy Page

I hope you will consider Reflection for your next purchase  :D

Please follow along the GB thread for all updates moving forward.