Author Topic: Mounting teensy on back side of ergodox?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline primitiveType

Mounting teensy on back side of ergodox?
« on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 17:20:49 »
I want to make a dox case that uses the top of the case as a plate (IDK if there is a term for this, but the Corsair K70 or any GON board are examples). Unfortunately there has to be some space between the plate and pcb for the teensy. Is it possible to mount the teensy on the backside?  I've searched around a lot but can't find any info about this. Also this is my first actual post so I apologize if i'm in the wrong place  :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been thinking through designs for a custom case forever and I'm ready to pull the trigger once I'm sure it can be done.

EDIT: Maybe I could just bend the pins 180 degrees so they point up instead of down? I see no reason that wouldn't work....

EDIT 2: Ok maybe not bend them since they wont line up right, but maybe I could desolder them from the teensy and resolder them on the opposing side...
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 17:46:21 by primitiveType »

Offline tbc

Re: Mounting teensy on back side of ergodox?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:58:13 »
lay down both hands.

solder the teensy onto the right hand.

solder the io expander onto the left hand.

switch the two hand and then flip them.

if you did it right, the board on your left hand should have a teensy soldered on and the teensy should be on the bottom (aka between the pcb and the table).

you will be soldering the switches on the NEW top side (aka opposite side of the controller chips).

i'm not sure if there are other changes (such as flipping diodes), but that's the jist of it.

if you keep the teensy below the pcb on the right side, the teensy reset button becomes hard to press.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline primitiveType

Re: Mounting teensy on back side of ergodox?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 11:06:15 »
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I think you are right that this is the way to do it. I'm not sure if i will have to flip diodes, but I am a bit worried that the firmware will be all flipped around. Also not sure if the switches will work right on the "wrong" side of the pcb, but if I understand switches, they should. This solution is also better since I would actually prefer to have my usb on the left side anyways!

I'll report back here after I've had the chance to pick up parts for a second dox to test with.