Author Topic: anyone here have experience with QIDO?  (Read 3815 times)

Offline FinancialWar

anyone here have experience with QIDO?
« on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 17:32:17 »
Does anyone here have experience with Qido, the Qwerty to dvorak converter.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 20:16:01 »
Aren't those like really expensive? I'd rather build my own keyboard for that kind of money.

In response to your query, I don't, but I think some members on here do.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 23:31:42 »
it's $89+29 postage. How is that more expensive than building your own keyboard?

Offline Tony

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 23:43:01 »
No one would buy it. Dvorak users would use settings in Control Panel or DV assistant software, which costs nothing.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 23:55:03 »
The way I think of it, if it's over $100, I may as well do it myself. I plan on doing something similar with my Phantom. Also, I believe Unicomp does custom programming.
If you etch the PCB yourself, and reuse the plate, switches, etc, you can get it down pretty low on the DIY keyboards. The only cheaper option is to solder wires from the microcontroller to the switch row/columns individually. I don't know what the key64 cost, but I'm sure it's possible on loss than this (and it doesn't rely on existing hardware) The switches are the most expensive part.

I mean, it's pretty easy to DIY your own convertor box, There's just a microcotroller in there, so they're marking it up a LOT. I looked into this when I first learned Dvorak, and I rejected it as an option.

Edit: Tony: people have bought it. I remember hearing good reviews about it.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 00:27:35 »
Time value of time... I make $50 an hour, it would take me definitely more than 3 hours to make a QIDO myself, maybe 3 years or something because I know nothing about electrical Engineering.

Offline slueth

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 00:41:30 »
dam that thing is expensive, bet you could do that with a teensy.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 00:46:25 »
call me stupid of whatever I just bought one. I will let you guys know what the Qido go.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 09:20:49 »
Quote from: dvorak;489292
call me stupid of whatever I just bought one. I will let you guys know what the Qido go.
No way! It's a smart choice for you. I don't get paid anywhere near $50/hr, but I'd DIY just 'cause I like that sort of thing. Just 'cause it's a bad choice for me, doesn't mean it's a bad choice for you.

You'll have to post what you think of it, though. I'm interested to know.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 17:43:04 »
Quote from: dante;489473
I had sent a few emails a while back to see about a group buy but didn't hear anything back.

I got a confirmation email letter, do you want their contact number to see if you can organise a group buy?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 23:17:56 »
Quote from: dorkvader;489472
No way! It's a smart choice for you. I don't get paid anywhere near $50/hr, but I'd DIY just 'cause I like that sort of thing. Just 'cause it's a bad choice for me, doesn't mean it's a bad choice for you.

You'll have to post what you think of it, though. I'm interested to know.

I earn many times more than that, but I'd still possibly DIY it so I could make it better and for the lulz. If you find that sort of thing potentially enjoyable, it can be priceless.

Live for enjoyment.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:38:57 »
Quote from: input nirvana;491413
I earn many times more than that, but I'd still possibly DIY it so I could make it better and for the lulz. If you find that sort of thing potentially enjoyable, it can be priceless.

Live for enjoyment.

Okay, WTF do you guys do because I think I need a change of careers. :p
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 12:14:51 »
Quote from: Icarium;492484
Okay, WTF do you guys do because I think I need a change of careers. :p

Stop thinking of what you can DO and think about what you can ACCOMPLISH. Get it?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 19:51:15 »
Ok, I received the QIDO, the ****s at ghostkey sent me the wrong colour, they sent me white.

the build quality is subpar, feels like a $5 USB I buy from local computer computer store feels way more durable than this. I bet the manufactering cost is less than 50 cents yet they charge $89.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2012, 19:53:37 by FinancialWar »

Offline sordna

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 21:41:17 »
Quote from: FinancialWar;492958
Ok, I received the QIDO, the ****s at ghostkey sent me the wrong colour, they sent me white.

the build quality is subpar, feels like a $5 USB I buy from local computer computer store feels way more durable than this. I bet the manufactering cost is less than 50 cents yet they charge $89.

Pics ? Most importantly, is the functionality good / reliable, ie during fast typing bursts, complex key combos, etc ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 23:47:47 »
Quote from: sordna;493065
Pics ? Most importantly, is the functionality good / reliable, ie during fast typing bursts, complex key combos, etc ?
Yes, I'm pretty pragmatic, and when my Ps/2 adapter cuts out, it's really annoying. I don't care about the outside build quality as long as the internals are up to snuff.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 00:04:48 »
I have created a thread in the main keyboard forum.