Author Topic: [IC] The Ave. - (GB Opens Dec. 13th!)  (Read 81785 times)

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
Any chance of a render with the 40% staggered look?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely!

I'm not very good at key cap renders so I'm recruiting some help for that.

Offline SlamMakanen

Any chance of a render with the 40% staggered look?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely!

I'm not very good at key cap renders so I'm recruiting some help for that.

That would be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The_Royal

More Hype Renders while we wait.

Rotary Knob by rionlion100!

Will be getting some nice keyset ones too soon.  Those are a bit too outside my range of skill lol

Offline Ghghop

Re: [IC] The Ave. - An Ortholinear Battlestation
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 10:45:57 »
Really loving the design. Count me in.

JJ50                   Preonic

Offline Taylorisg

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 10:46:21 »
Following this. Love the aesthetic and seeing high-end support for ortho.

Carry on.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 11:53:41 »
I really love the teal/banana coated options, and I'd like to reiterate that I'm very thankful that a staggered PCB/plate is being offered. The design is just so nice, and I also like the nuke key rotary encoder that the other nice fella came up with.

Very excited for the GB!

Offline uood5

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 15:00:41 »
The things I'd do for 10 home row alphas on the staggered layout for muh colemak...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline break

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 16:28:05 »
My goodness GMK Vaporwave would look amazing on the powder teal case.

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 00:38:09 »
Love it.

Offline TuckTuckFloof

• Smol Boards
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 20:59:37 »
This, this is fantastic. It'll go great with my RoMac!

Offline The_Royal

Re: [IC] The Ave. - (Prototypes Are Here!)
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:44:32 »
Prototypes have arrived!

It’s such a beautiful feeling Case. Everything lines up to the T and I’m incredibly happy with the fit and finish overall.

This is part of a new design I’m testing out:

The goal being: Make the cheapest Case Possible, while also retaining the feel of the original design.

The bottom and rear are designed to be cut from 3mm Acrylic Sheets. I also have those in, just waiting for the FR4 Testing Plates and then I’ll have a full Build ready for evaluation! 

Offline uood5

Re: [IC] The Ave. - An Ortholinear Battlestation (Prototypes Are Here!)
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:56:01 »
How cheap is "the cheapest case possible"?

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:00:43 »

Less than the original estimate lol.

Offline ChrisBeWithYou

• nah
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:06:43 »
My goodness GMK Vaporwave would look amazing on the powder teal case.
Omg I didn't even think about that but you're right

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisBeWithYou

• nah
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:10:03 »
Prototypes have arrived!

Show Image

It’s such a beautiful feeling Case. Everything lines up to the T and I’m incredibly happy with the fit and finish overall.

Show Image

The goal being: Make the cheapest Case Possible, while also retaining the feel of the original design.

The bottom and rear are designed to be cut from 3mm Acrylic Sheets. I also have those in, just waiting for the FR4 Testing Plates and then I’ll have a full Build ready for evaluation!
If this ends up being the final design would there be more options besides the clear acrylic? I really liked the sound console / Atari 2600 vibe I was seeing previously. Not sure the clear acrylic would fit my taste personally, but I'm not the one designing it lol

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:16:16 »
Still looks pretty beefy. I love it.

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 11:13:01 »
Prototypes have arrived!

Show Image

Show Image

If this ends up being the final design would there be more options besides the clear acrylic? I really liked the sound console / Atari 2600 vibe I was seeing previously. Not sure the clear acrylic would fit my taste personally, but I'm not the one designing it lol

Probably! If this design ends up working out well, I don’t see any issues offering a few different Acrylic colors (Black Frosted, Clear, Beige Maybe, etc.)

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 11:23:09 »

What about a "higher end" option that's not an acrylic bottom? My Hadron V3 has a clear acrylic bottom, and it's a little more fragile than I'd like. Looking at your prototype pcb, does this mean the upper section is going to be handwire?
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:12:11 »

What about a "higher end" option that's not an acrylic bottom? My Hadron V3 has a clear acrylic bottom, and it's a little more fragile than I'd like. Looking at your prototype pcb, does this mean the upper section is going to be handwire?

That's the other good thing about this design.  For those that want a more "Premium" type case, I have the means to have the option for the bottom and back to be CNC/Laser Cut 3mm Aluminum (Matching Case Color) Or 3mm Polished Brass!
This new design is just an experiment and definitely isn't final, but it seems this is a great compromise to some of the walls we have run into.

And The Upper section does indeed have its own PCB.  I Just didn't include that in the pic.  The top and bottom PCBs connect using a fairly standard JST connector. :)

Again, The PCB's are both Through-Hole style DIY builds with Breakout board to rear of case.  This Keeps that "retro" aesthetic intact and prominent, and allows us to include some fancier things Like Through-Hole, Terminal-Mounted LEMO Connectors and Some other fancy add-ons.

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:33:22 »

That's the other good thing about this design.  For those that want a more "Premium" type case, I have the means to have the option for the bottom and back to be CNC/Laser Cut 3mm Aluminum (Matching Case Color) Or 3mm Polished Brass!
This new design is just an experiment and definitely isn't final, but it seems this is a great compromise to some of the walls we have run into.

And The Upper section does indeed have its own PCB.  I Just didn't include that in the pic.  The top and bottom PCBs connect using a fairly standard JST connector. :)

Again, The PCB's are both Through-Hole style DIY builds with Breakout board to rear of case.  This Keeps that "retro" aesthetic intact and prominent, and allows us to include some fancier things Like Through-Hole, Terminal-Mounted LEMO Connectors and Some other fancy add-ons.
You wanna talk retro, let's see those pcbs with some clear/honey solder mask. That would be God-tier.

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:39:44 »

You wanna talk retro, let's see those pcbs with some clear/honey solder mask. That would be God-tier.

NO Soldermask (or "Clear") would be pretty cool honestly.   Right now we are looking at Either, Green, White, or Yellow PCB with Gold Surface Finish.  Should be really pretty.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:41:03 »

You speak my language. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:48:29 »

NO Soldermask (or "Clear") would be pretty cool honestly.   Right now we are looking at Either, Green, White, or Yellow PCB with Gold Surface Finish.  Should be really pretty.

Well, it would have to have SOME kind of solder mask, haha. I've been informed by PCB designers that you'd get corrosion if you didn't have anything at all protecting the traces. I'm just a really big sucker for that milky clear look on some super vintage boards. Or just retro design in general. hmm, now I want wood paneling on it too. I need to stop while it's still somewhat viable.  :p

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:56:38 »

Well, it would have to have SOME kind of solder mask, haha. I've been informed by PCB designers that you'd get corrosion if you didn't have anything at all protecting the traces. I'm just a really big sucker for that milky clear look on some super vintage boards. Or just retro design in general. hmm, now I want wood paneling on it too. I need to stop while it's still somewhat viable.  :p

Transparent Soldermask is possible! The Results vary quite a bit.  Prob. too much for our use case lol.  I think we will be plenty happy with Green/Yellow in the end. Those are my favorite ones. 

Might as well give it an Ash-Tray while we are at it lol

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 13:01:13 »

Well, it would have to have SOME kind of solder mask, haha. I've been informed by PCB designers that you'd get corrosion if you didn't have anything at all protecting the traces. I'm just a really big sucker for that milky clear look on some super vintage boards. Or just retro design in general. hmm, now I want wood paneling on it too. I need to stop while it's still somewhat viable. 

Transparent Soldermask is possible! The Results vary quite a bit.  Prob. too much for our use case lol.  I think we will be plenty happy with Green/Yellow in the end. Those are my favorite ones. 

Might as well give it an Ash-Tray while we are at it lol
I can provide that one myself, complete with 15 year old ash! I'll make sure to give it a good dusting for that authentic feel.

Offline escher

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 00:13:21 »
Ooooof cant wait how many switches am i gonna need for this

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 08:22:37 »
Ooooof cant wait how many switches am i gonna need for this

Depending on layout, 54-56 switches if you are ortho.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 04:49:26 »
@The_Royal

I know you ditched the OLED screen, but is there any way that we can connect one to the PCB? Maybe you could do some break outs so we can adapt one? I personally think that this keyboard would be perfect with a small screen on the top-right section, instead of two more keys.

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 16:15:12 »
Oh damn, the screen is gone?

Offline SpeakingSilence

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 20:42:43 »
100% in for this GB. Polycarb & brass please.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 06:15:50 »

IIRC it was ditched after the IC poll

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 06:31:41 »

IIRC it was ditched after the IC poll

I was wondering where it would fit in the renders.. although I thought it had just changed from E-Ink to OLED.

Thanks for the info!

Offline MudkipMao

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 12:23:41 »
Any chance of a preonic (5 row) version? I love my number row :D

Offline SlamMakanen

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 05:01:17 »
Is the grey/pink combo going to be an option?

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 07:12:29 »
I second this!  Though I don't really expect it to be a possibility in this buy, I would jump at a Preonic version.

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 07:36:23 »
I second this!  Though I don't really expect it to be a possibility in this buy, I would jump at a Preonic version.
Thirded.

I’d get it in it’s current iteration, but if you were interested in expanding it in a future revision, I think that would be even better.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 08:11:29 »
Show a render with caps to get a feel of the final product.

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 11:51:56 »

How about an actual pic!?

Offline KevinSanToast

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 20:51:48 »

Show Image

Yesss. So when will the GB go live? @~@ Will this release before your Soap board?

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 17:04:08 »

Show Image

Yesss. So when will the GB go live? @~@ Will this release before your Soap board?

Depends on a lot of things. But the GB will almost definitely be before the end of the year.

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 17:05:05 »
Got Her All Built Today:

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 17:22:33 »
damn it looks awesome, :eek:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 19:22:06 »
Got Her All Built Today:

Show Image

Is the round thing functional, or just for show?

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 19:51:29 »
Got Her All Built Today:

Show Image

It’s a Rotary Encoder!

Offline JuiceTin255

Re: [IC] The Ave. (Avenue) - A 50% Ortholinear Battlestation
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 07:41:26 »
This is why I come on Geekhack. Nobody needs another TKL  :-*

My thoughts exactly! Here for innovation and oddities!

Offline unluckyxiii

• Instagram
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 07:42:39 »
Got Her All Built Today:

Show Image

Looking at my first entry to the ortholinear

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 20:25:37 »
Got Her All Built Today:

Show Image

It’s a Rotary Encoder!
Nice! How will it be programmed?

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 21:41:12 »
Got Her All Built Today:

Show Image

It’s a Rotary Encoder!
Nice! How will it be programmed?

QMK! So you can program it to do Basically Whatever you want!

Offline rondg

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 21:45:54 »
Not a 40% user. Not an ortholinear user. But I like it a lot. Do we have a price?

Offline The_Royal

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 21:51:14 »
Not a 40% user. Not an ortholinear user. But I like it a lot. Do we have a price?

Nope! Lol

Still deciding on a few different things design wise. Still looking at a range of $200-$300 Though. Hopefully on the lower end of that.

Really Trying to make this reasonable cause I’d love for a lot of people to be able to have one!