Author Topic: [IC] JTK Classic Retro Cyrillic (I need your help)  (Read 66049 times)

Re: [IC] JTK Classic Retro Cyrillic
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 11:23:28 »
 ;D

Offline yuuS0cut3

• Stay young
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 11:35:23 »
Please consider adding "Ins" sublegends to 1u 0 key.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 11:59:01 »
since you'll be after packet loss i'll have paid for some better legends (i.e. no xbox backspace) so you'll probably be able to use those

i was thinking of running pretty much this exact set cause i was pretty shocked nobody else had yet so now i can focus on my 10/10 idiot ideas
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ligongduck

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 12:06:01 »
I like the retro vibe. I'm in

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 17:47:27 »
Would you consider adding the (monochrome) retro windows key like what classic beige/ka1953 had?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 18:06:38 »
Nice. Very important question, though:

Will this set be reusing JTK's bad Cyrillic tripleshot molds, or will new ones be created like the renders suggest?

I couldn't find this info anywhere in the OP or the rest of the thread. Please confirm this, as those existing JTK molds are a deal-breaker for myself and other people who care about having correct (= not horribly disfigured) Cyrillic legends.

A few additional things:
  • Ё sublegends will need to go in the bottom-right corner instead of top-right. Similarly, / sublegends will need to go in the top-right corner.

• Like in JTK Tripleshot Griseann/RA, the ISO-UK alpha keys are missing the appropriate sublegends. You will effectively end up having (quite noticeable) “holes” in the sublegends by not including these.
    • Solution: either add the missing sublegends to the appropriate keys, or replace ISO-UK keys with basic 4-key ISO support.
    • The latter approach makes more sense, imo. It means that less tripleshot molds need to be created. Also, people that use ISO-UK keys only make up around 2.58% of users in the community, which is quite a small minority.

1.25u convex for spacebars kit? Aditional 1u convex will be good too. Will be the same as previous JTK spacebars kits.
JTK spacebars are cheap, I guess it should not be a problem to extend this.
I've seen other JTK spacebar kits but I really don't understand why some of those keys should be in there.

It is cheap but I don't want to waste keys that people won't use.
FYI, wasting keys is exactly what you're doing by including 1.75u spaces in both this set's and JTK Tripleshot Griseann/RA's spacebar kits. :)

1.25c is used for split 6.25 spacebar. I believe 1.75c isn't used outside 40s, so it may be worth getting rid of (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).
This is correct. 1.25u is used for standard split 6.25u space and Alice spaces. 1u is used for Alice spaces and orthos. 1.75u is only used by a few staggered 40% boards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2020, 18:16:27 by konstantin »

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 18:50:41 »
Would you consider adding the (monochrome) retro windows key like what classic beige/ka1953 had?
Maybe (I think I asked JTK about making it and they said no, gotta double check)
Nice. Very important question, though:

Will this set be reusing JTK's bad Cyrillic tripleshot molds, or will new ones be created like the renders suggest?

I couldn't find this info anywhere in the OP or the rest of the thread. Please confirm this, as those existing JTK molds are a deal-breaker for myself and other people who care about having correct (= not horribly disfigured) Cyrillic legends.

A few additional things:
  • Ё sublegends will need to go in the bottom-right corner instead of top-right. Similarly, / sublegends will need to go in the top-right corner.

• Like in JTK Tripleshot Griseann/RA, the ISO-UK alpha keys are missing the appropriate sublegends. You will effectively end up having (quite noticeable) “holes” in the sublegends by not including these.
    • Solution: either add the missing sublegends to the appropriate keys, or replace ISO-UK keys with basic 4-key ISO support.
    • The latter approach makes more sense, imo. It means that less tripleshot molds need to be created. Also, people that use ISO-UK keys only make up around 2.58% of users in the community, which is quite a small minority.

1.25u convex for spacebars kit? Aditional 1u convex will be good too. Will be the same as previous JTK spacebars kits.
JTK spacebars are cheap, I guess it should not be a problem to extend this.
I've seen other JTK spacebar kits but I really don't understand why some of those keys should be in there.

It is cheap but I don't want to waste keys that people won't use.
FYI, wasting keys is exactly what you're doing by including 1.75u spaces in both this set's and JTK Tripleshot Griseann/RA's spacebar kits. :)

1.25c is used for split 6.25 spacebar. I believe 1.75c isn't used outside 40s, so it may be worth getting rid of (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).
This is correct. 1.25u is used for standard split 6.25u space and Alice spaces. 1u is used for Alice spaces and orthos. 1.75u is only used by a few staggered 40% boards.
1) This will be using the JTK Cyrillic molds (love em or hate em, they're there). (Thank you for bringing this up)
2) There are some slight errors in renders that'll be fixed (My fault!)
3) I will look into the whole ISO support thing (I am not from there, nor do I use ISO so I'm kind of a dumby)
4) I will look into improving the spacebar kit
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline Kajoler

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 10:56:31 »
im down for this one
>:0

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 03:04:48 »
What does "Not a Collaboration between HoodrowThrillson and OneCreativeMind (sayonara good friend)" mean?

HoodrowThrillson has regularly collaborated with OneCreativeMind, however OCM has recently decided to take a break from the hobby and community.

This is correct.

OCM was my best friend and although I can still talk to him, not being able to collaborate on future projects is sad. I hope to see him come back, regardless of how long it'll take.
Sad, but quite a relief. I thought he died or something.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 10:07:04 »
Nice job Hood row
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 12:43:04 »
Hi, I would like to order 2 please, thanks!
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 21:29:54 »
I like everything about this except the red text on the modifiers for alt gr and the others. Any possibility of extra mods without the red text or just black text?

Offline datfroyodoe

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 22:23:56 »
nice work. is there a possibility of adding R1 and R4 cherry icons?

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 23:30:39 »
I like everything about this except the red text on the modifiers for alt gr and the others. Any possibility of extra mods without the red text or just black text?

I think I do agree with Wholy on this, the red "Gr" is not my favorite, an all black Alt Gr would be nice to have.
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 06:06:58 »

I think I do agree with Wholy on this, the red "Gr" is not my favorite, an all black Alt Gr would be nice to have.

The only mod that has a red text is Alt Gr. I can add an additional black Alt Gr.
nice work. is there a possibility of adding R1 and R4 cherry icons?
something something copyright something something, so sadly no.

I will be getting updated renders soon.
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 06:45:47 »
The only mod that has a red text is Alt Gr. I can add an additional black Alt Gr.

Honestly I'd prefer just a regular alt key with no "gr", but if you can do an additional 1.5u and 1.25u alt gr with black text that would be a amazing.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 07:00:47 »

Honestly I'd prefer just a regular alt key with no "gr", but if you can do an additional 1.5u and 1.25u alt gr with black text that would be a amazing.
A set like this calls for Alt Gr and I totally understand why some people would prefer to have either regular Alt or an all black Alt Gr. In it's current form it is a bit jarring but I thought I'd offer it since this mold is going to be made with JTK Griseann/RA.

I'll get the 1.5u and 1.25u Alt Gr with black text added.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 07:02:35 »

From a logical standpoint, both Alt Gr and Alt Gr make sense, so either is fine. But I would recommend sticking to just one or the other to avoid unnecessary keys.

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 08:46:50 »
Thanks Hoodrow!  :thumb:
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 09:10:44 »

From a logical standpoint, both Alt Gr and Alt Gr make sense, so either is fine. But I would recommend sticking to just one or the other to avoid unnecessary keys.
It's a mixed bag. Sorta like the HHKB backspace being an xbox or a regular backspace.

For now I'll add it but I may cut one or the other, depends how I feel about it after a few weeks.

Offline datfroyodoe

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 09:19:05 »

ah bummer. thought it would be possible as i've seen it on JTK sets in the past and figured they would have the moulds for it but i understand it's better to be on the safe side of things regarding copyright

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 14:53:04 »
Updated kits

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 17:45:14 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 17:58:40 »
Updated kits

Thank you for updating the renders with legends representative of the final product :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 18:58:29 by konstantin »

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 18:50:45 »
Updated kits

Bless the backspace key.
🙏
Updated kits

Thank you for updating the renders with legends reflective of the final product :thumb:
Yessir, these files were created from what JTK sent me.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 19:24:49 »
bless up, definitely in for at least 2 kits.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:33:42 »
Updated board renders

F13 added
Non X Box BS added

However, with these additions, I may cut the R4 Caps Lock.

Now, R4 Caps Lock is used to replace a Control key if people are using Control in the traditional Caps Lock location.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:36:57 by HoodrowThrillson »

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:45:15 »
Updated board renders

F13 added
Non X Box BS added

Now, R4 Caps Lock is used to replace a Control key if people are using Control in the traditional Caps Lock location.

Yeah, I def won't miss the R4 caps lock if you need to drop it.

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 08:57:07 »
Updated board renders

F13 added
Non X Box BS added

Yeah, I def won't miss the R4 caps lock if you need to drop it.

For users of Control in the Caps lock location I would have liked a couple of R4 1.5u Super keys to be added in addition to keeping the R4 Caps lock key. I would use both, depending on layout.

On a WKL I map the leftmost 1.5u key to Windows key (Super), and on a WK layout I map the leftmost 1.5u key to caps lock (and then the normal 1u winkey/super next to it). Without these two options I would just use the normal Caps lock and Control keycaps and map them the other way around, which is fine.

The R4 Caps lock key is only useful to me on a WK layout. On a WKL I would need one or two 1.5u Super keys to have correct legends to my mapping.
I'm looking at other sets and a pair of 1.5u Super/code/meta keys are common with a R3 Control key.

Offline ligongduck

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 01:12:19 »
I can't wait for this. I like the vintage vibe

Offline azzipa

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 15:13:36 »
R3 Control, please.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2020, 15:25:25 by azzipa »

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 17:38:28 »

Offline GMK83

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 22:17:02 »
Looks great

Offline azzipa

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 22:28:34 »
Thank you. Please remind me not to GH on my phone. And yeah, I’m in.

R3 Control, please.

Look closer

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 20:49:12 »

ah bummer. thought it would be possible as i've seen it on JTK sets in the past and figured they would have the moulds for it but i understand it's better to be on the safe side of things regarding copyright
Yeah, JTK has certianly skirted copyrights in the past (JW / John Wick comes to mind).

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 08:24:55 »
Interested

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 09:10:54 »

Yeah, JTK has certianly skirted copyrights in the past (JW / John Wick comes to mind).
I mean, I could always ask and see. Will DM them later this week to see what's up.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 09:38:08 »
Seems JTK has no problem including a 'cherry' logo keycap in its sets. You can check out some of their stuff here. Not that i would ever put a cherry cap on my keeb...  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2020, 09:53:14 by azzipa »

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 14:34:27 »
Seems JTK has no problem including a 'cherry' logo keycap in its sets. You can check out some of their stuff here. Not that i would ever put a cherry cap on my keeb...  :rolleyes:

Show Image

Show Image

I'm gonna pushback and see if we can get them made because "classic retro" won't be that without some cherry keys.
Same applies for windowed keys, since that's a fundamental part of the "classic retro" feel.

If I can get them made, they'll be a part of a novelties set, separate from the base kit.

Progress is slow since I haven't had a chance to post over on Reddit to garner further feedback. On top of that, since this set is a few months out, it doesn't require too much work.

I do plan on removing that R4 caps lock. Kitting is looking pretty solid.

Also, confirmed zF as Asia vendor. See y'all in a few weeks or whenever i have something constructive to add.

Offline krzank

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 04:17:13 »
Can you add R4:Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё with Ё in the bottom right please?

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 21:08:14 »
Explain to me why and I will consider. I'm assuming this has to be some sort of ISO related key?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 23:29:38 »

This is by all measures a very non-standard key. Are you asking this because you're a Mac user? Custom keycap sets are seldom based on Mac-specific layouts, and so far I haven't seen any sets include R1 §± and R4 `~.

As for the Ё legend, yes it should be in the bottom right corner, but unfortunately JTK's molds are the way they are. So until another set comes along and fixes the issues, we'll have to live with them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 November 2020, 23:35:54 by konstantin »

Offline krzank

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:42:11 »
Explain to me why and I will consider. I'm assuming this has to be some sort of ISO related key?
Yes this is ISO related, specifically 60%/65% ISO.
On 60% &65% keyboard R1:Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё is replaced by ESC - Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё is accessible through FN layer in such case.
Try swapping (remapping) R1:Tilde/GraveAccent with any english letter on 60% or 65% keyboard and then try typing for a week - accessing normal letter through FN layer is annoying.
This is also applicable to other layouts (for example R1:Tilde/GraveAccent/ذ on arabic-PC layout).
ISO provides possible solution by adding space for one more key, specifically R3 next to the ENTER key & R4 next to the 1.25U RIGHT SHIFT key while loosing 1.5U:R2:Pipe/Backslash above ANSI ENTER.
It seems that in my original request I've made a mistake (or something has changed in the keyset since then?), my request should be:
- R3:Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё (R4:Pipe/Backslash is currently present)
OR
- R4:Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё & R3:Pipe/Backslash
Since second case requires adding two keys to your keyset, let's stick to the first one.
In both cases Ё should be in the bottom right corner.
This also brings Tilde & GraveAccents back from exile.
Basically I'm talking about translating US-ANSI into physical ISO.

Offline krzank

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:49:54 »

This is by all measures a very non-standard key. Are you asking this because you're a Mac user? Custom keycap sets are seldom based on Mac-specific layouts, and so far I haven't seen any sets include R1 §± and R4 `~.

As for the Ё legend, yes it should be in the bottom right corner, but unfortunately JTK's molds are the way they are. So until another set comes along and fixes the issues, we'll have to live with them.
No it wasn't about MAC layout since it would require Pipe/Backslash/Ё (R3 for ISO & 1.5U:R2 for ANSI) and some further modifications in number row.
R4 was a mistake, it should be R3:Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё.
BTW: You have guessed corretly I'm also MAC user but I'm using russian-PC layout on MAC so let's stick to the simplest case which requires adding only one key.

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:20:52 »
Nice! Definitely on board for all kits!

Offline ephemeral25

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 16:12:25 »
Definitely considering this option no matter how the EPBT one ends up.

It's nice to have different material option ! Also nice kitting.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 16:15:37 »
Definitely considering this option no matter how the EPBT one ends up.

It's nice to have different material option ! Also nice kitting.

I got in on the ePBT set & am also considering buying this as well! I really want JTK's triple shot process to succeed, it opens up so many possibilities for shot ABS caps!

Offline mongoose27

• WKL FTW
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 22:11:56 »
 Trippleshot Classic Retro Cyrillic, count me in.  :thumb:

Offline Prestley

• Twitch
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 22:36:50 »
Looks amazing. Can't wait to stay updated on it.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 17:50:53 »
Nice, def in.

Is the 6u spacebar centered or off-centered? Wanting some compatibility for topre hhkb.