Author Topic: [FS] 3D-Printed artisan keycaps: The Gizmo Bazaar  (Read 10453 times)

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
[FS] 3D-Printed artisan keycaps: The Gizmo Bazaar
« on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 14:08:21 »
Hi geekhackers. I've been lurking around these parts for some time and now I'd like to introduce...

The Gizmo Bazaar

The Gizmo Bazaar is a 3D printing shop that I've been running for some time on Shapeways. It started off with me uploading and printing off some keycap designs for a custom keypad project I was creating. Over the months I've been adding other custom designs and even creating designs from peoples' requests.

Designs
Here are some of the designs that I've currently got on sale:

From left to right: 8-Bit heart, Cthulhu, Lego, Radiation (filled in with ink), Skull (painted black), Tentacles

I've also started creating some keycaps that are printed in multiple materials. This allows for some really unique keycaps to be created:

A canister of molten metal, and a Jet Turbine

Materials
The 2 main materials that these keycaps are available in are:
  • "Strong and Flexible" plastic - This is a form of nylon and has a slightly textured feel too. They come in a range of colours and fit in nicely with other stock keycaps (I've got a bunch sitting alongside the stock keycaps on my Corsair K70)
  • "Frosted Detail" plastic - This is an acrylic polymer and allows for keycaps with very intricate designs to be printed. It also gives the closest texture to regular moulded plastic keycaps

Keycap Profiles and Sizes
Although most of the keycaps that I have on display are R4 profile 1x1, I do also have rows 1, 2 and 3 and various width keycaps on standby and can quickly apply designs to fit them.

Switch Types
As well as Cherry MX compatible keycaps I have also been trialling some Topre keycaps. Thanks to feedback from some very helpful beta testers I should be expanding my designs to the Topres very soon.
If you've got a design you'd like to have made then why not drop me a message either here on geekhack or via my Shapeways account.
You can find out more, see my other designs and check out more pictures by heading over to the shop now:
www.shapeways.com/shops/gizmobazaar

Update
Shapeways have now introduced a new "CustomMaker" feature. This allows people to customise 3D printed objects by adding text or images. You can now use this to create your very own personalised Cherry MX keycap designs.
As an example - Upload this image:

And you'll get this keycap!

Try it out here!

P.S. There's a bunch of photos in my shop from fellow geekhack members and one or two in the photos above. There's also some people on here that have requested or tested out new designs and I'd like to thank them all for their help in making this all as fun as it has been!
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 11:44:58 by Tasker »

Offline Wuzadi

Re: [FS] 3D-Printed artisan keycaps: The Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 18:35:51 »
Hey! I literally just ordered a few from your shop on Shapeways the other day, knew you had to be here somewhere haha. The Hannya and Diablo3 caps to be exact:) excited to get them, I'll post pics once I get them.
You met me at a very strange time in my life.

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 11:41:29 »
Hi Wuzadi. Yeah I loiter around this place every now and then ;)
Thanks for placing an order. I hope you like them and I'd definitely love to see any pictures you get of them!

Offline Wuzadi

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 12:03:01 »
Don't blame you, it's the perfect place to share your artwork!

I'll definitely be posting on here and /r/mechanicalkeyboards to spread the word  :cool:
You met me at a very strange time in my life.

Offline v0idtek

• I make 3D printed stuff for keyboards.
    • v0idtek
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 23:24:50 »
Those multi-part designs are quite interesting, well done.
3D printed stuff for keyboards:
www.v0idtek.com

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:17:31 »
Hey Tasker, are you still looking for topre support? I could send you my stem STL if you'd like.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:17:06 »
Hi XX7,

I think my Topre caps are getting pretty accurate now but I'm always looking for ways to improve things. If you've got a model that you know works then I'd love to see how it compares and see if there's any adjustments I could make to mine. Thanks for the offer.

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 11:15:25 »
Hey!

Is the lego cap compatible with lego!? Awesome caps overall, keep up the good work! :)

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 11:48:37 »
Is the lego cap compatible with lego!? Awesome caps overall, keep up the good work! :)

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like my designs :) Yes indeed it is compatible. In fact here's a stormtrooper standing on that keycap!
108035-0

I'll be honest that it's not always as perfect a fit as official lego blocks, there's obviously a small amount of variance in the 3D printing process, but it certainly works!

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:51:16 »

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like my designs :) Yes indeed it is compatible. In fact here's a stormtrooper standing on that keycap!
(Attachment Link)

I'll be honest that it's not always as perfect a fit as official lego blocks, there's obviously a small amount of variance in the 3D printing process, but it certainly works!

Awesome! Maybe making the pegs a tiny bit larger would make it fit better; I guess the plastic will "move in" while having bricks attached to it?

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 16:31:15 »
Yeah I might try that. It should make the fit a bit more sturdy but I'd also have to be careful to make sure that the lego pieces still actually fit over it.

Offline skoch

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:00:12 »
I made an order for the astronaut and diver sets, look forward to seeing how they turn out!  Also had a custom key made up from my company logo.  I'll let you know how they turn out.
Ducky Shine 3 Red LED, MX Blues

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:29:29 »
Love your designs. Paired with Bosk's painting, these are amazing caps.

Offline Tasker

• Gizmo Bazaar
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:39:10 »
Thanks romevi I really appreciate it. Yeah Bosk does some great work with his paint. It looks like he might have some more on the way soon so keep your eyes peeled for those.
Skoch thanks for ordering the new astronaut and diver sets, I hope you like them. If you want to share any pictures of them then I'd love to see them. Also any feedback you can give on the custom key option would be great; I made it available so people can use their own logos but I haven't had any feedback on it yet.

Offline djchup

• i write code
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 15:21:22 »
I was browsing through your shop on shapeways, funny bumping into you here! (well not that funny i guess).  I may place an order soon you are selling some nice caps!

Offline BrainFlush

• I type using my knuckles, 30 years running.
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrainFlush
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:39:03 »
I now own 8 of your caps and I'll be buying more.
For those that don't know. If you buy the colored caps you'll get a nice amount of LED compatability which is what I am always looking for. Black allows no light through. Which some people will want.

Great job as always. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your future designs. Take care.

Bosk does amazing paintings.

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:36:55 »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm a huge fan of Tasker's work and of the artisans I've painted so far his are my favorites.

When I began painting them early in the year he already had very nice designs like Cthulhu & Hannya, but in the last couple of months he's really taken things to another level. Innovative concepts like the Steampunk & Astronaut, and intricately detailed sculpts like Castle & Gorehowl for instance. The release of the Frosted Extreme material has also been beneficial as it really helps delineate the fine lines of his latest pieces.

I've been busy painting some of his latest creations but am keeping them under wraps until I launch my website, sometime in the next few weeks.
May all your key presses strike true.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:47:10 »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm a huge fan of Tasker's work and of the artisans I've painted so far his are my favorites.

When I began painting them early in the year he already had very nice designs like Cthulhu & Hannya, but in the last couple of months he's really taken things to another level. Innovative concepts like the Steampunk & Astronaut, and intricately detailed sculpts like Castle & Gorehowl for instance. The release of the Frosted Extreme material has also been beneficial as it really helps delineate the fine lines of his latest pieces.

I've been busy painting some of his latest creations but am keeping them under wraps until I launch my website, sometime in the next few weeks.

Will keep an eye out! That moon cap is one of my favorites.

Offline BrainFlush

• I type using my knuckles, 30 years running.
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrainFlush
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 03:50:01 »

I always drop your name when I drop Taskers.
Anything to get the word out when it comes to 3D caps and painters.

I look forward to your website. Don't forget to post on the reddit pages too when you go live.
Thanks as always and take care.