Author Topic: The waiting game - Matias Ergo pro  (Read 46893 times)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
Re: The waiting game - Matias Ergo pro
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 20:55:53 »
Yeah the halves moving was one of the things I didn't like on my Freestyle

I can understand how people would want to lock-in their preferred angle, but then you lose the flexibility of separation (which is worse).

I wonder if putting the keyboard on a thin rubber mat like the ones fohat uses would help keep the two halves from sliding around, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0

Yes, I'm sure that would work, though I'm surprised it slides around at all.  There's an awful lot of rubber on the bottom of the Ergo Pro.

Offline smeggysmeg

• thespecter.net
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 16:25:06 »
Last day of April
Ducky Zero (Browns)    |    Matias Ergo Pro   |   Dell AT101

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:16:19 »
I just got word that our 2nd production run is complete, and Ergo Pros are being flown over now!

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 08:41:57 »
I just got word that our 2nd production run is complete, and Ergo Pros are being flown over now!

I'm so glad to hear this news! I need my Ergo Pro so badly...my wrist is super angry this week from excessive HHKB pinky gymnastics.

Cannot wait!
Thanks for the update :D
-R
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline billputer

• hi
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:33:46 »

CM Storm QFR-i | Matias Ergo Pro (pre-ordered) | M$FT Natural Ergonomic 4000

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 10:16:09 »
I received my Ergo Pro yesterday as part of the 3rd batch.  The build quality is excellent.  The switches are great due to the short travel and relatively low force requirement.  The only negative about the keyboard is the staggered layout.  In a split design, matrix layout works better.  It makes it way easier to reach keys.  I will continue on my quest for the ultimate ergo board, in the meantime I will continue to use my new Ergo Pro.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2015, 10:20:33 by rsantos97 »

Offline krazyderek

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 11:00:14 »
The only negative about the keyboard is the staggered layout.  In a split design, matrix layout works better.  It makes it way easier to reach keys.

I second this.

After two weeks of use as a programmer...
Generally i found the keys a little to stiff (stiffer then expected coming from cherry MX browns) with more of a drop off in force after the actuation, and I realized the staggered row layout wasn't really what i wanted from an ergonomic keyboard.

For reference, here's my keyboard history:
several microsoft natural keyboards (windows)
kinesis classic (windows)
kinesis maxim (windows)
kinesis classic (current) (osx)
apple retina macbook pro chiclet keyboards (current) (osx)

The Good:
- love the small keys such as the navigation cluster, and function keys
- thank you for not creating a gigantic void between the number keys and the function keys
- OSX CMD button that's inline with D making it as easy to use with a thumb as OSX keyboards should be
- palm rests felt solid and reasonably comfortable
- good rubber feet and weight meant that the separated halves stayed in place during a full working day at the computer

Stuff i thought i'd like, but didn't really notice:
- the undo/cut/copy/paste cluster might be useful in windows (where you have to reach down with your pinky for CTRL) but with OSX CMD key being within thumb distance makes CMD + z / x /c / v very comfortable, the undo/cut/copy/paste cluster seems very redundant in OSX ( i never felt the need to use it)
- Matias quiet key switches, i felt that the switches had inconsistent click and resistance from one lettered key to another when pressed identically, and higher peak activation force for any key that isn't hit dead center, also some keys started to stick after the first week of use like especially left shift

Suggested changes / options for another version:
- headphone cable with right angle connectors would have been really nice for tight spaces for connecting the two halves (really odd that the usb cable end is right corner, but the cable that connects to two halves isn't)
- getting to the DIPS under a key was awkward instead of just having them on the underside or edge of the keyboard
- having DIPS to change key behaviour was better than nothing, but I really would have preferred if it was programmable so i could remap keys to my hearts content, for example:
---- i wish the CTRL next to N could be an additonal TAB key
---- the embedded keypad should have M  and <, as 0, and just leave >. key as the decimal
---- I wish the arrows part of the navigation cluster was shifted over such that the end / home where the up and down, and just get ride of the right cmd key, i use it once in a blue moon, then shift the end/home and pg up/dn to the far right.
- have two CMD size blank buttons instead of one space bar on either side, that way people can customize if they want half the spacebar on the left to be backspace or tab, and the spacebars on the right could be delete / backspace / enter
- wish i could have negative tilt and tenting at the same time
- wish i could have more tenting
- move ESC key location back to standard position, maybe make it a 2x key so it spans the normal location and still be above the copy paste cut cluster
- move F5 to left side of the keyboard, i don't know why F1-F4 are centered over the 1-5 keys
- put a copy of 6 and F6 on the left side of the keyboard (this was really annoying reaching over to F6 to step through debugging in eclipse while mousing), but any split keyboard has this issue
- embedded FN keys could be a different colour on the keys to identify them faster
- i don't really know why only the letters and function keys work on the left side when you hold down the function key
- consider a straight key column version (instead of staggered rows)
- consider a cherry mx brown, or alps equivalent switch version
(Building) Dactyl 5x6 (pro purple)
Dactyl Manuform 5x6 (silent reds)
Dactyl Manuform 5x6 (silent browns)
Truly Ergonomic 207/209 (browns)
(Sold) Kinesis Contour Classic (browns)
(Sold) Kinesis Maxim

Offline jamadagni

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 22:59:46 »
The only negative about the keyboard is the staggered layout.  In a split design, matrix layout works better.  It makes it way easier to reach keys.

I second this.

After two weeks of use as a programmer...
Generally i found the keys a little to stiff (stiffer then expected coming from cherry MX browns) with more of a drop off in force after the actuation, and I realized the staggered row layout wasn't really what i wanted from an ergonomic keyboard.

I would think more strongly about buying this from the third production run if only it were a non-staggered keyboard. As it is, when I'm thinking of shelling up much money for an ergonomic keyboard, I want to go the whole way re ergonomics.

My secondary gripe about the Matias ErgoPro design is the smaller size of the function and navigation keys. But mainly it's the retaining the staggered design that stops me from buying it right now.

Will Matias consider doing the third run as non-staggered? I'm not sure how cost-effective for him the shifting of the keys would be compared to just reprinting the existing design though...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 23:53:44 »
Will Matias consider doing the third run as non-staggered? I'm not sure how cost-effective for him the shifting of the keys would be compared to just reprinting the existing design though...
This is never going to happen. Matias is aiming for a sweet spot where the keyboard doesn’t take more than a few days to get up to speed on for someone used to a standard keyboard, but still fixing lots of the issues that cause RSI on a standard board. A totally new keyboard shape (column stagger or whatever) is much more of a niche product.

If you want something more radical and you can afford to wait a few months for delivery, take a look at obra’s project http://www.keyboard.io, which is about to launch its kickstarter campaign.

Alternately, check out the Kinesis Advantage or the Maltron.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 01:28:27 »
- wish i could have negative tilt and tenting at the same time
- wish i could have more tenting

I thought there were threaded holes under each half, so you could use a small tripod on each side to setup whatever angle you wanted.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline krazyderek

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 06:41:04 »
I thought there were threaded holes under each half, so you could use a small tripod on each side to setup whatever angle you wanted.

The keyboard is at work, but i don't recall see threaded rods, or mounting holes for them, maybe i'll check tomorrow, but i think the only threaded holes are for the palm rest, and as such are only on the front.
(Building) Dactyl 5x6 (pro purple)
Dactyl Manuform 5x6 (silent reds)
Dactyl Manuform 5x6 (silent browns)
Truly Ergonomic 207/209 (browns)
(Sold) Kinesis Contour Classic (browns)
(Sold) Kinesis Maxim

Offline kshopper

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 15:01:34 »
A standard tripod mount can be screwed into the keyboard where the center screw that connects the palm rest to the keyboard is. You just remove the screw and mount the tripod in its place.

Offline Haevuus

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 22:23:14 »
A standard tripod mount can be screwed into the keyboard where the center screw that connects the palm rest to the keyboard is. You just remove the screw and mount the tripod in its place.

I came to this thread late, but was very interested in this idea of a (tenting?) tripod screwed into the palmrest mount. I would like to remove the palmrest, if I can figure out a way to keep tenting. Could someone describe or show just what this tripod is? Thanks!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 19:26:44 »
This tripod tenting is theoretically possible but I don't think anyone has actually implemented it.

Offline EE-test

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 15:13:08 »
In a future iteration of the board, just put a 6 on each side, everybody happy!

Yep, having a 6 on each side is what the Kinesis Evolution did, 15+ years ago.